Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I did my first trackdays this weekend and it was way cooler than I thought it was going to be, and I can't wait to do another! It was at Thunder Hill through Zoom Zoom Trackdays. There was also a ton of photography which I purchased, but this one is my favorite, even though I'm not going through the turn as fast as others, cause of the color vibrancy:

Also, there was a guy on another forum who was able to bring me up after my original ride couldn't come, and he had an interesting trackday photo taken of himself. Slightly :nws::http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2010/02.27.10-thill/SATURDAY/NOT_8/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Tsaven Nava posted:

Speaking of photography, what is the deal with most tracks? I'm going to the STT even in Joliet, IL on Apr 24-25, and they say they'll have photographers there. Do you have to pay for the prints/images of you?

What's to stop my girlfriend from borrowing my some of my long glass and shooting photos of me and any other goons that show up?

The photographers on the track are allowed to go all over the track and take photos. Your girl is most likely limited to the pit area and now allowed on the track itself. It cost me $40 for the entire days worth of photos, however they usually put online free photos that are much smaller with tons of watermarks.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I thought super moto racing is essentially a drift competition.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
2 friends of mine invited me to a Thunder Hill track day...the night before! So we quickly packed everything, loaded the bikes, and arrived an hour late and missed all the safety briefings. We all got our inspections and registration done and then started dressing up 2 minutes before the first C group went out and we made it just in time.

First friend had done 1 trackday and high sided in the 2nd lap of his first time out 5 months ago, second friend has never been to a track day. All of us in C group and we all had cameras, but mine was the only reliable one. I'm gonna splice all the footage later. First guy who high sided had a DRZ 400, second friend an R6 2010.

Pacific Track Time is the most unorganized, hooligan track day I've been too. People in C group were passing whenever they felt like it, ignoring a waving yellow flag, not signaling whether or not they were exiting the track, entering the track dangerously by crossing everyone's lines at low speed, and no one was called out on anything. People were clutch wheeling on the straight away and no one seemed to care. There was also barely any photography, which I blame on Got Blue Milk moreso. They didn't even photograph the last 2 hours.

There was around...2 or 3 instructors for 10 to 20 riders in C group. I regurgitated everything I learned from a ZoomZoom Trackdays instructor to my newbie friend, and by the end of the day he was racing around with 2:39 lap times on consistent, smooth lines. He actually outpaced me through all the turns (probably cause I weight 30lbs more, and have a cbr1000 and he has a r6).

Him in white/black behind me, me in red.

I was able to catch up lost laptime by out braking him. Whenever I braked really hard my handlebars would start vibrating in a way I've never felt before. I wonder if this front tire tells a story.

Both of them:

R6er took probably 20 photos of his tires (OMFG no more chicken stripez!) during the day. He even has his most shredded tire image as his cell phone wallpaper.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

FlyinDoc posted:

If it feels wierd on hard braking though, check you aren't bottoming out the forks. A ziptie is good for this.
I checked the forks and there is a distinct line around a few inches from bottoming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I learned yesterday how overrated dragging knee is. Was trying to drag knee all day and kept dragging my foot. I finally manned up and asked an instructor for help. He said, "The hell is wrong with you? Why are you trying to drag knee?" Then he told me to sit on the bike and ignore that Valentino Rossi bullshit.

So he followed me for a couple laps, then I followed him, found out all my lines were messed up and I decided to just sit on the seat and only lean my upper body.

Ended up dragging my toes several times, but my laps when from 2:45 to 2:30 and I was having more fun. So my pics don't look as cool as my friends who were doing the exact same lap times on their R6s with their knees on the ground. :(

Although it was satisfying passing a bunch of guys dragging his knee during the turn on the outside.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2010

• Locked thread