Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
So I guess riding to the track on your bike is a bad idea, even if it's close huh? I don't think buying a bike trailer and tow hitch for a beater while soon-to-be unemployed is the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

needknees posted:

Someone talk me out of paying too much to go to a trackday at MidAmerica next weekend. Please. My resistance is waning :smithicide:

Don't pay too much to go a trackday at MidAmerica. Sure, it will be awesome fun, but there are more important things in this world than fun. For example, saving for retirement and filling out your census form.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Tsaven Nava posted:

Qucick status update of the track day so far at Autobahn; Needknee's friend went down, might have busted his collarbone, heading to the hospital to check it out. Our neighbor went down and DID break his collarbone, I went off the track once but held it up dispite the wet grass. Track's tried out since the morning, and our instructor is kind of a MILF.

Yikes, I remember reading somewhere that collarbones take like 8lbs of pressure to break. Hope they both recover soon.

How is it Zool can crash five times a day and keep riding? Seriously tell me, if there is some kinda yoga you do or something I wanna try it out.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Sumo track day coming up on the 10th. I was going to rent a bike, but now it turns out the guy renting isn't going to be there. So I email the org that sets it up trying to figure out whether or not I need safety wire and numbers and two of the employees start arguing over it with each other while ccing me. Also need to get a back protector..not to mention a truck.

I guess ultimately I'm just lazy, but drat this crap is so much easier with cars. You can show up in anything that isn't a heap and auto-x for like $30. I've been on the same track with a car and didn't need to switch out coolant, either.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Nothing gets the blood flowing like maniacally piloting your daily driver on a track 4 hours from home knowing that if you wad it you'd better get real good at hitchhiking.

Twice I did an event at Lancaster speedway, 9 hours away. Full track car, roll cage, aluminum racing seat, no A/C...and flew off the track once. Thankfully all I got was muddy, but yeah, can't really relax knowing you're an inch away from a nightmare of a towing bill.

It's nice to know that safety wire is going away. My dad laughed when I told him this; he was in the airforce and said safety wire is for bomber planes not little dirtbikes.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I found my paper copy of NAVEDTRA 14014. Chapter 5 "Aircraft Hardware" has a how-to safety wire bit.

I downloaded a copy from here and it's the same thing. Starts on page 15.

It's drat useful to me since I'm about to undertake this this week. Thanks!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I really need a trailtech vapor for warming up, since my husky has no temp gauge and is running SAE60 now (it's what AMSoil recommended).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Why would you listen to AMSOil over the designers of the engine?

Well it was that or 20w-50, didn't know which would be better. Bike calls for 10w-50 but most of the husky community runs a wide range of stuff, from regular rotella up to avpg or whatever the manual calls for.

It also calls for some italian miracle oil for hydro clutch fluid while regular mineral oil from walmart works just fine. 12.99 + shipping for 10oz or 2.99 for 30oz and leaks anyway until you use an aftermarket clutch piston. Really all of the aftermarket parts I've thrown at the bike are to correct things that should have been done at the factory.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

needknees posted:

You're running straight 60 oil :pwn:

I emailed amsoil this morning and a guy called me at work. What he said is SAE 60 is not really "straight 60". The cold starting weight is just not measured or not advertised, but it would be 20w-60 if it was. It isn't as if it's 60w-60 and he said the bike will be fine for track and street, even into the fall. The manual calls for 10w-60, and 20w-50 is commonly used too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah but I've heard that elsewhere about all SAE-- oils. I dunno why they do it, industry practices or whatever, but it isn't like it's amsoils own dirty trick.

I actually was going to go with the agip oil first but they only sell by the case.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

It will probably be ok,

Yeah I'm just hoping to get through one event, in more ways than one. Fall is here and temps will be dropping so I can switch it out anytime after the event. Still don't want to drop $122 on agip though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

What about MotoREX? It's 10w60 and what the KTM runs.

That looks pretty good. You can't order from the company but you can buy it on amazon and get free shipping. Also a place 30 minutes away carries it too.

It works out to be around $100 every 1000 miles if I stick to the street change intervals, haha.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah it's pretty crazy but owning that thing has been quite an experience. I'd have no regrets even if it blew up tomorrow.

$122 for 12 liters of agip plus $19 for shipping works out to be cheaper than 3 4-liter bottles of motorex by $54 so maybe I should just suck it up and order a case.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Finally made it out to a supermoto event and it was amazing. Passed tech with flying colors and ran all day with no crashes. I did have my own "oh poo poo" moment when I got on the gas too hard at a corner exit and the back slid for a bit. I saw a lot of that from other riders too, both on entry and exit, but not a single crash all day from anyone.

I ran in beginner and asphalt only classes, so I got a ton of runs and did the races too. Englishtown Raceway, despite being a fairly new track, has really gone to poo poo already. The pavement is rough like a parking lot and you have to dodge potholes on track. Dirt section was all rocks and overgrown grass, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, just a few tabletops and a berm.

Everyone there is pretty friendly as well, one guy literally gave me gas so I could keep riding and wouldn't take any money. On track though, dudes are super competitive. Out of the six or so groups there, only two other riders besides me had street legal bikes and street tires, everything else was converted off-roaders with slicks.

So I basically came is last place in both the heat and final, but the last 4 laps I was chasing down the guy in front of me and by the time we crossed the finish I was 2 feet away from him. Wayyy more fun that just regular riding. There weren't any photographers there or anything, so I just took one lovely pic of my bike while waiting to run.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I made it out to the last supermoto event of the year at my local racetrack and the second one I've been to so far. Felt much better out there due mostly to having a prior experience with it but also two other things:

Some good advice from my MXer uncle about pushing down on the pegs a bit when going off jumps. It meant the difference between floating off the bike and feeling like going over the handlebars to actually jumping with it.

And secondly some friendly racer advice about dropping the rear psi to 20 from 26. I was struggling for grip and riding off the edge a few times but it was a whole different game after that. I can only imagine what this thing will feel like once I actually get the suspension setup properly and either re-spring or lose 15 lbs.

At the end of the day a nice surprise was waiting for me too. :woop:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks Z3n!

I'll enjoy the possibility of easy trophies while it lasts. Beginner is a small group and not too competitive, but once you win a few you get bumped to novice, which is 20 bikes strong and led by ex-flat trackers. Amateur is completely insane, with riders backing it in sliding both wheels somehow. Then expert is like two guys from Canada, haha.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

All I can think about is how an aprilla svx with an aprilla rsv v-4 jammed in would be on those longer straightaways and sweeping turns.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Supermoto or a cheap dirtbike.

Guys at my local track are always selling built non-street legal supermotos that can kill my Husky for around 3k. It really is tops for excitement per dollar.

Saga posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4cQv-K0so

Excusing the on-the-advice-of-our lawyers video, I think this might be a little easier to get hold of.

I kinda ignored the Nuda because it's more like Husky's take on big bore "motard-like" bikes than a svx killer. Really why the hell can't aprilla get that bike to work properly?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

This is kinda a dumb question but how removable and reusable are racing number stickers? I'm asking because I'm going to get them for next year instead of using tape but just realized that if I go to a different track run by another organization my numbers might already be in use. I shoulda went with three digits instead of two I guess.

Edit: I found an answer, if your number is in use they just put an x next to it. So I'd just be 77x instead of 77.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 13, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yay I can post here! All signed up for my first track day in May. Entirely psyched about this, though slightly wary because it means I have to travel into New Jersey. Apparently there is a track in NJ.

NJ Motorsports park? I'm looking at going to a superbike schoolday or two there.

Up until this year Englishtown Raceway had supermoto events too but they are done, so there's only OVRP in NY for that now.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have input regarding the California Superbike School? They are coming to Thunderbolt Raceway in May and I've been wanting to track the Ninja for awhile. $450 a day for instruction and bike setup seems like a deal to me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Why would they plant trees along a racetrack?!?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

That's what it feels like when I hang off the ninja. :v:

I got some info about OVRP racetrack (since my local one is closed now) and they run qualifying runs in the morning instead of heats. This is for supermoto. Does this mean if I suck I'm going home early? I really wish there were just simple practice days but that seems to be a rarity for sumo around here.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

If that's the case it's the same as I was doing last year. Don't have to worry about people passing me then. :v:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MrZig posted:

I hate you guys with a track literally an hour or two away. The closest real track to me is a good 7 hour drive, including crossing the border :(

Many years ago I drove 8 hours one way to drift my car at lancaster speedway...in the drift car. Kirkey seat, roll cage and no A/C. It was pretty dumb because there was no runoff at the track and no spare parts for a JDM engine but stuff like that is definitely do-able if you just take your time and make a three-day weekend out of it. When I finally got a truck and trailer I just enjoyed driving the whole rig to new places and trying out different hotels and restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Finally put my Contour to good use. I did the first race of the year at a new track, OVRP in NY, this Sunday since my local track cancelled sumo this year. So much better. The asphalt section is a go-kart track that's smoother and a dirt section that isn't overgrown with grass. Even the drive up was nice. Also only $45 to race, holy crap.

Riding-wise I was really rusty and on top of that my bike felt greasy. 90 degree temps might have something to do with it, but I kept changing tire pressures and everyone I talked to gave me different advice on psi. My ContiSMs are looking like they might be done already after only three events and maybe 300 street miles. Plus I still don't have the proper spring for my weight either so I need to setup the suspension as well.

There is no beginner class there so I raced in the novice and would have been last except one guy overheated at the starting line and another crashed in the dirt and couldn't start his bike so I think 5th out of 7? Either way I can't wait to go back next month but would really like to have the bike setup better (and ride better myself too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_K4_49usp4

• Locked thread