Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

For those of you with a track bike that also sees some (limited) street use, what tires are you using?

The CRF needs better tires, the SV needs tires. They both see some street riding which is spent in the mountains and other fun roads, will see very little rain unless it rains at the track. I'm running fast novice to intermediate pace and would prefer to avoid tire warmers for now.

I'm not super worried about being DOT legal but it would nice. Something that is easy to find as a take off would be even better. 120 front, 160 rear.
Q2's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Hooray track days. Gonna go out and have some fun at Little Tally this weekend with Josh Herrin (and brothers) and Huntley Nash. First track day in 6 months :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

aventari posted:

Some people (ahem) will talk a lot about how body positioning doesn't matter but I find if I'm way leaned over properly I get more feel and am much more confident and in control, and able to make small corrections easier. Getting the knee down really helps a lot too as a gauge of what's happening.
Body positioning certainly matters. If you're new to the track it's not a bad idea to take a session or two to figure out what position feels comfortable to you. Beyond that, it shouldn't be of much concern until you've properly developed your other skills such as braking, corner exit/entry, throttle usage, etc etc.

It's hard to generalize stuff like this because everyone is going to be different. Some people will feel more comfortable and thus have a much easier time learning if they're hanging off like a monkey. For others it will be the complete opposite. As long as you're comfortable on the bike, don't worry about how the pictures look.

Here's two pictures from 2 local racers around here. Both have AMA experience (the former is retired; the latter will be racing DSB next year), both are WERA expert class, and both run near-identical lap times - ~0:57's at TGPR. I believe they've swapped the lap record back and forth a few times.

As you can see, two extremely different body positions but at the end of the day they achieve more-or-less the same result.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yep. Different heights and weights by quite a large margin. Another reason why there isn't an end-all-be-all answer to BP :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, I know a few guys who have tried the leg dangle and said they liked how it felt. I'd say it's pretty similar to body positioning. At the end of the day it's best to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable on the bike. Most likely not going to have any significant impact on your ability to ride the bike one way or the other.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Ouch man, sorry that happened to you. That must have been a terrible feeling. I'd imagine it's kind of like hitting a false neutral going into a corner. You expect the bike to do something and all of a sudden OH poo poo there's no response. Glad you're okay though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

So I was out at a buddy's shop earlier just hanging out. In the other room they were dynoing a bike, and all of a sudden we heard this ungodly terrifying sound. Ran over to check out what was going on and yep, bike blew up on the dyno. Yep, it was a 675. That's enough convincing for me to stay away from those bikes.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yup. Baby blue 675?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

The funny part is that the tuning on the bike was actually already finished. They were just mentally running the bike through a track to try to see if there were any places to squeeze out a little extra horsepower, then boom she went. The consensus was that it probably threw a rod, but no one pulled the motor open to see. At the end of the day it's probably a good thing that it happened on the dyno though, since otherwise it would have just grenaded itself on the track (:v:).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I can't afford to actually ride a bike these days but I did get a chance to hang out at the track a couple weekends ago. Buddy of mine was trying Q2's for the first time and got a little bored control riding the novice group :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Looking good. I wouldn't worry about getting in the way of A group riders though. As long as you're consistent and can hold a line they'll find a way around you. Last trackday I rode I got passed simultaneously by Josh Herrin on the inside and Huntley Nash on the outside :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

R10's are a race tire and should be on warmers (for various reasons), but don't blame your crash on not having them. Pulling tires off a set of warmers and cruising around below pace is just going to cool them down anyway. I'll second everything that Z3n said. Your speed doesn't really matter, I've seen people crash entering onto the track from pit road (yes, really).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Any "standard" sport rubber would be fine. Pilot Power (original or 2ct), Q2, BT016, etc. A friend of mine can run close to slow A times on a VFR, a ZZR is perfectly fine for trackdays. A ZZR is basically just a rebadged older gen ZX6-R anyway, depending on the year.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

WERA has the same rule.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

WERA at Road Atlanta this weekend; spent yesterday and half of today up there helping out some buddies and blindly testing out a new camera lens. They ran the 6hr endurance race on Friday and were on track for a podium when the bike blew up ~45 mins before the race was over :( Second time they've DNFed from an endurance this year due to mechanical and third (fourth?) time the motor has blown up in the past 2 years. Suxuki :arghfist:

Also! I know most of the people here tend to run Pierlli's or somesuch, but check out what the Dunlop guy had for sale trackside:

That's right, D212's (after ~5 hours of endurance racing). The front tire has almost no lip (as in, the edge of the tire is nearly flush with the sidewall), I've never seen anything like it before. The team was loving it though. Apparently the grip is absolutely absurd.

And a track picture cause why not:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Spiffness posted:

IIT: Post the most gettinest' pics you haven't paid for
I pay for all of my gettin' pics :colbert:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

That's not a track day or a race :mad:

My first time at Deal's Gap back when I first started riding :3:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Neither, Nissan both stock. Until you get to the 2012's when they have Brembo calipers.
Ughnnn those Monoblocs :flashfap:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

How's the track surface holding up at Jennings? I haven't been there in a couple of years but I hear that the back section keeps getting worse and worse. It's a shame, because I think Jennings is my favorite track, but it's hard to enjoy it when the entire back section is like riding on rumble strips.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

AncientTV posted:

It's still nice there aside from 8 and 9, and even they aren't too terrible because the usual line goes in between most of the patches. I can't speak for the really fast dudes or in regards to racing since I was doing the same line all weekend, but its definitely not bad enough to avoid the track or anything.

That said, it would still be amazing if they fixed up 8. One of the harder corners shouldn't be allowed to get torn to bits as the years go on IMO.
Yeah, 8-9 has always been a bit sketchy and I hear it hasn't gotten any better. This video is a couple years old and you can see how out of line the bike got after 8. I obviously don't do even remotely close to those times, nor am I on a 1000, but still.

Part of me wishes they'd repave the back section but at the same time I know how expensive that is and I think Jennings would suffer if they had to up their prices to compensate. Oh well, I'll still head down there when I get back on the track one of these days. Love that track regardless.

Also: Anyone going to be at VIR for WERA in a couple weeks? I'll be up there in the pits that Friday helping out some buddies with their endurance team.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TGPR is such a fun track and X-Act is such a good organization. Perfect track for a smaller bike too - even 600s feel big there. I have some of my fondest memories at that track, including but not limited to being passed on the inside by Josh Herrin and on the outside by Zach Herrin at the same time in the 90's (the turn, not the decade) :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm probably signing up for a day there in the spring with X-Act as soon as they send out a schedule. You should come out.
I would love to but I live 800 miles away now :( I'm stuck with NJMP

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Jennings may be my favorite track. The front section is very fast. The back section is slower and much more technical. You get pretty much everything except elevation changes (it is flat as a board). My only complaints are that the back section is pretty eaten up (but don't let that you lose confidence) and the surface there is EXTREMELY abrasive. It'll eat up tires super fast, which is quite annoying if you're running race tires. Oh, and if you're doing a private Jennings day, it's a gigantic pain in the rear end to get pictures. Other than that, track fuckin owns!

edit: Video from one of my early trackdays when I was running ~9-10 seconds off pace :v: (I'm the one filming)

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 31, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good track to take lessons and start riding at? I live in the Philadelphia area. I'm also interested in supermoto tracks.
NJMP. It's close to Philly, has a bunch of courses (Thunder & Lightning, as well as a Kart track that's sometimes used for sumo depending on the org). Here's a snip from a doc I wrote up to hand out to locals interested in trackdays:

quote:

How?

Most tracks do not offer track days directly. Usually, you will be going through a track day organization. These guys pay a hefty sum to rent out the track for the day, and then subsidize the cost by charging riders to head out and play. There are many organizations out there, but here are a choice few that offer days at tracks in the northeastern area:

N2 Track Days
https://www.n2td.org

Team Pro-Motion
https://www.teampromotion.com

Sportbike Track Time
https://www.sportbiketracktime.com

Where?

There are countless race tracks in the US, but here are a few popular ones local to the Philadelphia area:

New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP) - https://www.njmp.com
8000 Dividing Creek Road, Millville, NJ 08332
[Approx. 1 hour / 50 miles from Philadelphia]

Pocono Raceway - https://www.poconoraceway.com
1234 Long Pond Rd, Long Pond, PA 18334
[Approx. 1.5 hours / 100 miles from Philadelphia]

Summit Point Motorsports Park - https://www.summitpoint-raceway.com
201 Motorsports Park Cir, Summit Point, WV 25446
[Approx. 3 hours / 190 miles from Philadelphia]

New York Safety Track (NYST) - https://www.nyst.com
396 Zimmerman Rd, Jefferson, NY 12093
[Approx. 4 hours / 250 miles from Philadelphia]

Virginia International Raceway (VIR) - https://www.virnow.com
1245 Pine Tree Road, Alton, VA 24520
[Approx. 6 hours / 390 miles from Philadelphia]

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

kuffs posted:

I am considering slicks for my next set of tires on the F4i. Are they that much of an improvement over the Q3s I'm presently running? Are tire warmers a necessity?
How quick are you? If you're not running mid-Intermediate pace or higher, I personally wouldn't run race tires. It'll be difficult to keep heat in them. If that's the case, they'll cool down as you ride and you'll be losing grip as you ride. Q3's are a fantastic, fantastic tire.

If you're running race tires, yes, I would (and always do) run warmers. You'll get varying opinions depending who you talk to, but warmers will let you immediately hop onto the track and go at nearly full pace on the first turn. Yeah, you can argue that the suspension (and brakes - but those get up to temp within a couple of turns) won't be warm for a lap or 2, but I've never found that to be an issue for me or any friends.

As far as literal slicks? No point. If you want race tires, get a set of DOTs. When I was heavily involved in racing (but not actually riding) for a few years, out of everyone I knew, maybe 2 or 3 people ever ran slicks for trackdays. Everyone else ran DOTs.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

One argument for race tires (and I know who is gonna post it :v:) is that - assuming you can keep heat in them - even if you aren't using them to maximum potential, they'll have that extra grip that may save you from an "oh poo poo" moment. They'll certainly wear out much faster than your Q3's though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

No reason not to switch to GP. You'll get used to it really quickly - I did around 25k street miles before converting to GP and never had an issue with it. The only thing that got me was constantly switching back and forth. We used to parking lot race TTR125s for fun/practice and I always had trouble remembering they were standard. GP just feels more natural, imo.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Carousel (turn 4) at TGPR with X-ACT?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bingo, I didn't realize how off camber the outside of that one was until I did a walk last time. Let me know if you're headed back there at all this year, I'm aiming to get it out at least four times this season. Probably be little tally twice then Barber and maybe VIR.
My goal is to be back on a track by July-Sept and tally is probably the track I'll go to. I'll have to see who's running days there, might wait for Marietta Motorsports to host a day since I'm friends with them, but we'll see!

And yeah, caurosel is off camber and it gets a lot of people. On the other end of the spectrum, turn 1 is much more banked than it looks and you can carry a metric fuckton of speed through there.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

M42 posted:

Going to hit up jennings april 17th, and then (if I can get the bike trailered) ride on a brand new track back in VA the following weekend! GET HYPE :slick:
Watch out for turn 2 :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

They've probably already been eaten by a gator at this point

edit: Speaking of Jennings animals, a friend and I were once approached by 2 coyotes when we were doing a track walk after dark. Actually, now that I think about it, I also hit a bird in turn 3/4 doing around 90. Fortunately it hit the bike and not loving me, but feathers went everywhere. Weirdest reason for a yellow flag ever.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeah turn 1 still scares me a bit but I'm to the point where I'm not braking and downshifting anymore for it. Maybe by the end of the day Monday I'll be going through with just a little roll off. I know the bike can go through flat out but I'm a big chicken.
The best part is when you go through that turn fast enough to hit the "ideal" line (which you may already be doing), you'll occasionally almost rip your knee off and contemplate why there are 48 cones right at the apex of the turn. I've also seen people take out the signs at Jennings, which is significantly funnier and hurts less.

gently caress, I need to get back on a track.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

You look great dude. I agree with what Z3n said about going a little too far out sometimes (props on not going off when you hit the rumble strips around 5:41 though!) but your lines are pretty drat solid overall. You even take the fast line through farmhouse, whereas I ride like a chickenshit :v: You're supposed to go over the rumblestrips in the kink, as you did, but I was always afraid of bending a rim there (to the point where I'd completely gently caress up and go through a gear too high). I know 1 or 2 people who have taken out a rim on those rumblestrips, but those were all during sprint races so it's a really dumb concern for me to have.

But yeah, keep doing what you're doing! Tally is the perfect track for that bike and you're handling the track the way you should!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmriw_Duxc

That's an old video where I was running 1:06-1:08's (fast I / slow A times). I probably could have picked up an entire second or two just by going through farmhouse properly. My goal is to eventually get down to a 1:02, but I haven't been there in almost 4 years.

(Sorry about the music, it was an inside joke)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Sure is! What'd you think of the track itself? Take any video?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Lookin' good!

Turn 8 can be tricky and is the most dangerous turn on the track. It's a lot sharper and slower than it looks, and you want to aggressively apex at the strips (inside of where the big patch is) or the track surface will have a field day with you. T10 was giving me the most trouble when I was there 2 times ago, though. It's actually the slowest turn on the track and your apex/exit are crucial for setting up 11 and 12. If you go through 10 wrong, you can push yourself out too far coming out of 11 (almost ran off the track once). Another thing that can happen is being leaned too far over and having to maintenance throttle out of 11 (or at least get on it less aggressively), where you'd normally drive hard to go through 12 as fast as possible. I got bucked off my seat during one of the morning sessions because I spun up the rear out of 11 - closest I've ever came to highsiding.

I've never tried the food there. The menu always seemed like playing with fire at a trackday.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Hey guys, I just signed up for my first track day with N2 at Roebling next month. Super nervous and lost in the sauce on what to expect, how to prep and etc! All I got from their manuals and stuff is to make sure I have gear (I have everything but leathers) disconnect my headlights and brake lights, tape everything up, and bring tools and gas.

Any advice for this track noob on stuff to bring, what to expect, what I should do about the leathers situation?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jaFjx2z8fTdxsdbfY_uINUbSZGcl14lMWXut4K3SfyA/edit?pref=2&pli=1

That's a 101 guide I wrote a little while back to hand out to people at work (and while I'm here, if there's anything anyone thinks should be added/changed, I'm open). There's some area specific stuff so you can just ignore that.

Your best solution to the leathers situation would be to buy some. I don't know if N2 rents suits at all, but it's never sounded too appealing to me either way. If you have a friend who wears the same size as you, maybe you could borrow one? Otherwise, scour online/craigslist/etc and try to find something used in your size, assuming you don't want to buy new. WERA forums often have good poo poo on them and a huge number of them are in the SE so it'd be convienent: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?forums/race-gear-and-accessories-for-sale.56/

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, he definitely misjudged how tight the turn is. Instead of tipping into 8 from the outside, he made a straight shot from 7 with (it appears) the intent to apex at the 8 marker and take it to the outside of the track, but as he was accelerating out he realized that line would put him in the grass - so he had to give it more lean and lost the rear, then panic chopped the throttle and blasted off. Sucks that happened. Hope he got some good sessions in and isn't discouraged from doing more trackdays.

The race line through that section is something along the lines of this (bear with my inability to color within the lines):

Basically you tip in hard into 7 around the time the track starts to curve, hit mid track at about the point where the rumblestrips end, then flick directly into 8 and stay inside until you can drive out to mid track in order to set up for 9.

I'm not sure how wide you were coming out of 9, but you can go into 10 from mid track.

edit:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I haven't been to that many tracks but I've never seen numbers on the corners like that. Is it set up just for bike track days or something?
Jennings is a bike-only track. It's pretty beginner friendly (aside from a couple of turns) because it's literally just connect the dots. No trying to decipher what the gently caress 2 sideways cones mean or why the brake markers somehow got moved 20 feet out of place.

edit2: I actually opened photoshop so the line mockup doesn't look like a 2 year old drew it. The arrows show which way the bike is leaned; basically just flick the bike from right to left as the arrows indicate.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I RARELY use it, and a former coworker who has been racing/doing trackdays twice as long as I've been alive is the same. Both of us leave air in the line so it doesn't bite when we do use it. (Complete side note, but it's a fun story: He actually started the first track day org in the country, which was later sold to STT. Nothing of the sort existed 30 years ago or whenever he was racing, so he would often sign up for races just to ride the morning practice, but wouldn't do the actual race. Eventually had the brilliant idea to use tracks for something other than competitive riding. He's the one who crafted the N/I/A/R system that's used by nearly every modern org. 100% true, no BS.)

OTOH, I'm friends with a couple of people who race AMA or MotoAmerica or whatever the gently caress it's called now, and they're constantly stomping on the rear and getting the bike sideways. Same with a good friend who used to stunt. I think people who ride dirt/flattrack/etc who are comfortable with a loose bike tend to utilize the rear more.

It is good for adjusting lines and is imperative if you run off track, though :v:

edit: If you use the rear brake you can scare the everliving gently caress out of the Novice group you're control riding, as well as the cornerworkers!

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 20, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Golf towing is the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Anyone going to be at TGPR this weekend for WERA? Thinking about stopping by on Sunday to get some video shots and possibly run into some old friends.

• Locked thread