Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Well, I did my first trackday at Nashville Superspeedway two weeks ago, and as I posted in a different thread, it was the most fun I've had since I learned to ride. Nashville has an infield road course including a couple different low-speed, 180 degree turns, a short straight, a complex called the "bus stop", and a long sweeper leading onto the front NASCAR banking. I really enjoyed it - the front banking was long enough to get the SV nearly topped out.

After a few sessions, I did scrape my inside peg on the first of the low speed "u-turns", so I tried to hang off more. Looks okay to me (I'd appreciate criticism, though) and definitely felt fun. Here's the first corner after the front straight:

I actually did not get my knee down at all during the day, but per instructions from the control riders, I wasn't focusing on that.

Here's a lap under caution, note the 1098S behind me:

And that same Ducati, one session later:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks! None of my friends who saw those pictures caught that.

Z3n - I'll give that a shot. It sucks that the track bug hit me right at the beginning of winter here in TN.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Any STT members going to Nashville in a couple weeks? (April 10-11). I'll be there!

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I also ran the track this weekend! Nashville Superspeedway infield, which was a blast. Worked on my body positioning throughout the day:

Got bumped up to advanced novice and had a great time. We had a 'Busa and a ZX14 tooling around in novice class, too. It was fun watching those guys blast off down the nascar banking.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Anybody with track bodywork mounted on their bikes - especially SV's (Ahem, Z3N?) - I've got a question regarding it. I just picked up a cheap, well-used set of bodywork to put on my 1st gen. I believe it is older hotbodies GSX-R bodywork, and it mounted just fine using a fairing stay that the seller provided.

The bodywork didn't QUITE see eye-to-eye (hah) with the stock SVS fairing brackets, but I expected this and fabricated a couple mounts for the sides of the upper fairing (more precisely, I made some spacers out of PVC because the GSX-R bodywork was wider than the SV). Currently, the bodywork is mounted to the ears of the fairing stay, the nose of the fairing stay, one fairing bracket on each side of the bike's frame, and that's it.

It feels pretty stable, and I was able to leave my frame sliders on with a few minor dremel alterations. My question is: The lowers (mounted to the uppers only) have a good bit of play, moving side-to-side 3 - 4 inches when pushed. Is this...normal, or at least acceptable? I'm not sure if this stuff is supposed to be locked down tight, or what.

Now to find a race tail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Well yeah, but how many places offer track days at night under the lights? I've never heard of any others, anyway.

Were you at STT's last event at Nashville? In April?

• Locked thread