Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had my CBR400 trackbike out for the first time on Wednesday at Oran Park. Once I drained the tank, got some fresh juice into it and gave it a good rev to clear the plugs it ran really well. On the hot track the Diablos stuck like poo poo to a blanket, and it handles really well. drat small though, and I was finding it really hard to shift. It was 35 degrees on the day, I came in after 3 sessions at around 1pm, got out of my leathers and had to sit down because I felt really light headed and thought I was going to pass out. No photogs on the day unfortunately, but a guy in my group had his camera going and was behind me for a little bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRmt-i_DL0#t=3m50s I was going quite a bit slower than I thought, but my body positioning looks alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga posted:

Don't have problems with the shifting myself, but I think they take a little bit of time to get used to if you're coming off something big and more modern.

I was finding hard to shift because it's so small. My leg was getting locked right into position with my feet back on the pegs.

Saga posted:

including running out of petrol - mine's v. thirsty on track

Yeah, so's mine. Worse than my GSXR1000. Though it's probably because I'm actually giving it full throttle a lot more than I was on the Thou.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ta for the feedback!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Cool. I signed up with them today, going to do their school this weekend :woop:

Also, picked up a trailer. CHECK OUT MY TRACKDAY RIG

I couldn't get less torque in that photo if I tried. And guess which vehicle makes more power...

:smug:

Not trying hard enough.

(Not me)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Since this is my first trackday ever this saturday someone tell me what poo poo I'm forgetting:

Bike (duh)
bike key
leathers
helmet
gloves
boots
back protector
ear plugs
common tools
stands
extra gas
lots of water
food

Any advise other than "don't wad your poo poo"?

A chair, some electrolyte powder or tablets, gaff and electrical tape, zip ties, a spare pair or two of socks, a towel and sunscreen. With the food, take lots of small things and snack during the day, rather than just having something big for lunch. Apples, bananas and museli bars are best.

Oh, and never pass round the outside unless you're in the top group, and even then be careful. Take them under brakes early, or up the inside on the gas on exit.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

T-Square posted:

That's kind-of odd, the last track day I went to had rules that the only time you could pass (in the intermediate group)was on straights or on the outside. Novice was pass on straights only, and advanced was anywhere.

That's not a rule, it's just the best and safest way to pass. If people gently caress a corner, they'll run wide and if you're there sneaking round, you're gonna end up on your arse. Most places that don't allow passing up the inside only ban it during the corner. To pass up the inside on exit, you time it so that you pass them post-apex as they drift out wide as they accelerate.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're probably just as better off parking out in the sun in pit-lane, rather than the pits.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Have many 400s made it to the USA? They're great trackbikes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endless Mike posted:

Seeing an R-series being tracked is so weird.

Prepare to freak the poo poo out...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do all US trackdays make you tape up your lights? Here it's just your mirrors, and that's just so you don't look in them.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A well-ridden ZX-12R usual looks like it's be low-sided because those little winglets on the lower-leading edge of the fairing ground out all the time, and then the loving stator cover.

But they are big fatties.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

I set sag the best I could on the front, not yet on the rear. In my completely inexperienced hands, the bike feels really good. It's not scary or unpredictable when leaned over, it deals with bumps well, and feels very planted and confidence-inspiring when accelerating out of a corner.

Then don't worry about what your tyres look like.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since the mighty Aussie dollar is pushing parity, I've been thinking about going for a holiday in the States, and am thinking about doing a CSS day. Anyone got an opinion on which track would be good? Laguna Seca being the obvious first choice, but I don't really know anything about the others. But I've gotta wait for them to release their 2011 schedule anyway.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Laguna is a good choice, although if you want a track that'll kick the crap out of you technically, Infineon is the track of choice. Miller is faster and more open with less technical stuff, same with Laguna.

So basically, what do you want out of it?

I'm also biased considering CA has great weather and riding pretty much year round.

I had been thinking CA as well for that reason. What are Sear's Point, Las Vegas or Streets of Willow Springs like?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

-Inu- posted:

It was my first time riding with STT, and I was kind of surprised how lax their tech was.Turns out one of the guys I was down there with hadn't taped his weights either. They never said anything to either of us nor did they even ask if I had water wetter in the bike.

Do most US trackday operators make you do that? Here they're just interested in tyres, brakes, throttle return, and that nothing is going to fall off or leak all over the track. I've never had to tape wheel weights at a trackday.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah that's fine. Probably should've leant it further over though :v:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gullous posted:

Western Washington just received a new road course over the winter - 3/24 is the first bike day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJGvv4av0Q

It gains the name Ridge for turns 13-16 (bottom left), where there is an ~80 foot elevation drop. Apparently it's similar to Laguna Seca!

I can't wait!

That track looks fast as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What class could you evenrun a late-model 750 in with that much work done to it in?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 12, 2012

• Locked thread