Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Ok, needknees posting about me going to a trackday in the goon rides thread pushed me to actually post this. I've been thinking about doing track days this year, but I have a couple of things that hopefully someone can help me out with.

First of all, I was planning on getting a Tilt custom before doing this as it's not too expensive and I seem to be a bit tall for the off the rack stuff. My main concern, though, is the bike. I'm sure some of you remember, but right now I have a Katana 750 and an Aprilia RSV1000R. Right now I am really not very comfortable with the idea of starting out riding track on a literbike, especially one which would probably be more difficult than most to get fixed up again after a crash. I am open for advice on this, though. As for the Katana, I don't mind using it on the track but it doesn't seem well-suited for it. People don't make race fairings or sliders for it. Any comments or suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

laymil posted:

What year is the Katana? Your first track days don't have to be on a full-on race bike :).

It's an '03. And yeah, I don't mind it's not a race bike. If I was all gung-ho about a full-on race bike I would just track the Aprilia :). It's more that I would have to run the OEM fairings without frame sliders if I track the Katana. So if I crash it, wallet->ouch.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

Generally, the rule of thumb is: Which bike can you afford to see cartwheel?

The Kat will be fine on the track for a first trackday, if that's what you're concerned about. You're gonna have a better time getting replacement fairings on ebay for the kat than you will the RSV.

Whoa, I had no idea. Looks like there are a couple of Ebay stores from China and Hong Kong that sell complete fairing sets for it. Are those pretty equivalent to the stuff from Suzuki? Or would I be better off buying those first and putting them on for the track?

laymil posted:

You can get frame sliders for the Katana you have:
http://www.scrmotorcycles.com/SCRproducts.html

Awesome, thanks. Between you two guys looks like I'm tracking the Katana this year. Best forum ever.

• Locked thread