Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

I hear California Superbike School is pretty great. Plus the student bikes are S1000rrs :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Where them videos at :colbert:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ffffuuuck I can't wait to move back to CA, that's gonna be the first class I take.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Forcefield L2. Sweaty as poo poo, but probably the best on the market w/r/t protection rating. It's also thinner than most of the bionic-looking ones.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm also probably gonna do my first track day (or two) this year at Summit Point, pretty excited :haw:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good thing I'm on an sv650 now :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

8/15 summit main with TPM. Babby's first track day. STOKED

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Did ok. Lots of things need work. Scraped the stock pegs within a half inch of the tire's edge :prepop:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just signed up for shenandoah circuit 9/27, will do.

My line sucks in every way possible, shenny's gonna be wild. Rip in peace

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 20, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks like it's raining a decent amount on my upcoming trackday. Any track specific tips, or is it just the same thing as street (slower, smoother, etc) + wear a trash bag?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

4 people have crashed so far in novice. Shenny is some poo poo, man :derp:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I also caught a nail in my tire last night and shelled out for a supercorsa (all the guy had) and then proceeded to fly into the grass first lap with the new tire. All good, stayed up, and most importantly I have video :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pirelli DR 2s, like 32/34. And yeah, I learned that the hard way. I'll plug up the DR and use it as a street tire.

Meanwhile, a comparison shot:

I learned a ton today. Started passing people in the afternoon. Shenny is really a bitch of a track when your suspension sucks, the surface is terrible in the worst places of the most technical corners (I'm looking at you, corkscrew). I ground down a peg something fierce before figuring out a BP issue I was having in one of the esses. Crazy day, gonna feel it tomorrow.

oh yeah:

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 28, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Making a trip down to Jennings in april with some buddies. Anyone ridden it? Track looks pretty fun!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sick, I'm stoked. Hopefully by then I'll have my suspension set up properly, so as long as it's not as bad as shenny...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Condition it before/after, or get one of those dorky track rain suits (trash bag poncho is the cheap option).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lexol is what I use without any issues. Glove leather could possibly mean suede?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Going to hit up jennings april 17th, and then (if I can get the bike trailered) ride on a brand new track back in VA the following weekend! GET HYPE :slick:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If I wreck, I'll pick up your visor/fairing bits for you :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I had to swerve to avoid the world's fattest groundhog on my first TD.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fuckin... Dominion event postponed due to the track not quite being ready yet :manning: I mean, new track pains and all, but it would have meant a straight month of trackdays for me!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Inu you were right, jennings is so much fuckin fun!!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The surface is amazing, and it's really nice to be able to see so clear across. Felt perfect for the SV, unlike the faster summit main and slower shenny. Ripping first half, technical second half. It was great. Turn 8 was a bitch, took all day to figure out, a guy from my crew highsided his aprilia there (he's fine).

The food in the shack was way better than I expected, too.

Turn 8 is the toe slider killer

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 19, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Lookin' good!

Turn 8 can be tricky and is the most dangerous turn on the track. It's a lot sharper and slower than it looks, and you want to aggressively apex at the strips (inside of where the big patch is) or the track surface will have a field day with you. T10 was giving me the most trouble when I was there 2 times ago, though. It's actually the slowest turn on the track and your apex/exit are crucial for setting up 11 and 12. If you go through 10 wrong, you can push yourself out too far coming out of 11 (almost ran off the track once). Another thing that can happen is being leaned too far over and having to maintenance throttle out of 11 (or at least get on it less aggressively), where you'd normally drive hard to go through 12 as fast as possible. I got bucked off my seat during one of the morning sessions because I spun up the rear out of 11 - closest I've ever came to highsiding.

I've never tried the food there. The menu always seemed like playing with fire at a trackday.

What sorted me out on T8 was actually entering T7 properly. The CR specifically told us to do an inside-ish line entry into T7 (as opposed to the outside late apex line, like a street rider would take) and I promptly forgot. Once I started doing it right, T8 was fine. Also not entering it so fast. My other problem was coming out of 9 too wide and having to stupid cut across the track width to line up 10 properly.

Speaking of highsiding, here's my buds crash vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zj3iWQBP9Y

That corner is pretty deceptive the first time you hit it, I overcooked it the same way as well. I think he crashed because you can hear him throttling out AND leaning harder at the same time, probably because he realized the turn was way tighter than expected. Dude's first TD, probably didn't play too well with the lack of beginner lessons at jennings.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Everybody. Using it to adjust line is a street thing.

I mean, you could prob use it for line in white group if you really want, but it won't help with braking distance at all.

M42 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 20, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of pics, I forgot my fave one

This is how far my general size will let me hang off the bike :cawg:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah the fuckin ram mount was not having that poo poo all day. It's as tight as I can crank it, still rotates side to side easily.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I mean at the fork stem mount, the ball joint is fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

fahken track day, khed

Gnarly rain sessions for the first two. My worst turn was all tar so it was basically slip n slide. Had a lot of issues with my legs, mostly because my boots are too big and my pegs don't have a "point" to pivot on, so I could never get consistent placement on the peg and kept grinding my toes. Also my outside leg almost came off a couple times when I hit a bump leaned over. Shorty problems :laffo:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This my only bike. I got over that feeling as soon as I did my first TD :madmax:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The pegs are S, on riser plates - I could go up and back another notch. Though honestly, I sat on my buddy's supersport, and the body configuration would be so much better for me than the sv's with the enormous (relative to my size) tank. I could pivot around the ss one so much better. Now i'm looking at trackbikes :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be at NCBike 6/11 :woop:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

NCBike came and went. It was alright, though I ended up with severe heat exhaustion/approaching heat stroke, had to sit out the last 2. No more TDs down south in the summer, my iceblasted hellscape born-and-raised body just can't deal with that poo poo no matter how much I hydrate. Free lunch was dope though.

Anyways, main issue is still the foot thing. I dragged my goddamn toes everywhere. Every time I do the "pivot on ball of foot, heel at rearset guard" I end up with my feet in a sideways squat like a frog, and my toes 3 miles beyond the peg. You can see it in pics:

Any advice? Anyone have this issue? Is it as simple as moving the pivot point further towards my toes instead of the ball of the foot? Help me save my toe sliders.

dope

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: weight on foot, yeah I probably had too much on there. Supposed to be more on the outside knee where you're "hanging" off the tank right? Had the same problem following the CR's line too :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

xaarman posted:

Anyone in here have an EZ-Up or equivalent? Debating buying one for all future track days or just splurge the $150 for a garage at COTA. I don't use tire warmers so that's a moot point.

Absolutely. I got a 10x10 for $20 off craigslist. Idk where you live, but it's essential here because it's insanely hot in the summer. They're cheap and useful for other things, and not all tracks have garages.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be @ Pittrace 8/27 and 8/28, anyone else? W/N2.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pittrace is not for the faint hearted. Especially not for the faint hearted on a completely new-to-them bike. Having a good time now though, after several gp shift close calls...

E: oh and the elevation changes are like riding a rollercoaster without a lap bar

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 27, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Liking it pretty good, track surface is a bit sketch (really highlights my unset suspension), but everything's working well overall. I'm here tomorrow too, we'll see how two days at one track work out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pittrace, my dudes!

Craziest gat dam track I've ridden yet. At least half is either steep uphill, a blind crest, steep downhill, or washboard bumps. Really makes you loving work for a good lap. Combined with a new bike, it was a real experience. Mostly I just focused on getting used to the gsxr, which outpaced my sv in every single parameter except exhaust note. It's kind of hard to compare the two in anything but acceleration and brakes for now because it's an unfamiliar track -- once I ride my home track, I'll be able to say more.

This track really highlighted my main issue, which is the brake-move body-lean sequence. Most of the weekend I would move my rear end and leg over while braking, which meant that I couldn't really grab the tank with my legs, which meant all my weight would go right to my arms (felt that poo poo for like 2 days). I trail brake, so moving my body after braking is finished doesn't really work too well and unsettles the bike. A CR gave me some tips, but I didn't get a chance to try them because I test rode an fz07 and an r3 right after (last sessions of the day). He told me to scooch my butt but still grip with my knees until the bulk of the braking is done and I'm tipped like a quarter of the way through, then throw out the leg (while monkey toeing). We'll see. The gsxr definitely needs softer rebound in the rear, trailing edge of tires was crazy built up. However, they never once spun up, which owns because I was always doing that on my sv. Did almost wash out the front by braking way too loving hard on a tar patch though. Also 19x18 mc needs a rebuild :manning:

The fz felt like it would be awesome as a commuter, and the r3 was arguably the most fun I had that day. I see a 300 trackbike in my future.

I didn't crash like half my buddies, so I won trackday :D go me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, it's not an issue with lack of grip, just the timing of it. Thanks Z3n, that sounds like it'll work. Inu, I got lucky because my crew had a photo dude come with. Apparently the official track photog kinda sucks. That portrait shot is the coolest still bike shot I've ever had :swoon:

• Locked thread