Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah sure, but what if you want to take your CAR to a trackday? So-called "Paint Vagrant"? A Honda Element won't do you none.

Obviously you could tow a motorcycle trailer with a BR-Zed or an FR-S. Or a Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

PaintVagrant posted:

You body-roll your funny looking Honda box around the track obviously

Wanted: race plastics for Honda CBR and/or Element.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Signed up for Blackhawk Farms near Chicago in September. Hopefully the weather is good and we don't get 15 people crashing.

Fingers crossed me and the FZ-09 will have a good time on track.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hello dead thread; so I finally did My Fiяst Track Day and it was hard and fun and I've already started thinking about the next one.

I only went off track once, and I only used my turn signals like 2 or 3 times. Since I rode to the track, I had nothing with me but some snacks and water and some very basic tools and masking tape. A bunch of people offered me their shelters, and practically threw bottles of water and gatorade at me, and a couple of the dudes with whom I was hanging out walked over trackside during the novice sessions to watch and give me advice.

Lots and lots of poo poo to remember. I got passed by everyone in Novice, obvs, even the dude on his F700, but I was trying to stay smooth and pick good lines. A couple of corners gave me fits, and at some point I decided that I would just ride around in 3rd for the whole lap just to remove that distraction. It was cool and I can't wait until the spring. Also, I need to buy and install a trailer hitch for my car now.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I wasn't even close to going too fast. I think I just focused on the curbs on the way out of a slowish corner, and bumped over them. Luckily they told us like a hundred times DON'T TOUCH YOUR FRONT BRAKE if you go onto the grass, so I was able to slow down using the rear brake and rejoin. The instructors were great and had some good advice too.

What I did for this one was rent a suit from the Michelin tire dude. It was $60 and fit me really well.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The track is Blackhawk Farms International Raceway.

I may have added a word into the name of the track. I entered turn 4 badly and was pointed right at the curbing toward the exit of it and went off, but was able to rejoin where that little concrete patch is. I had a hard time especially with 3 and 5, and ESPECIALLY 5, because it just keeps opening up and you can give as much throttle as you can stand as you go around it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BlackMK4 posted:

How big are you?

Smaller than mailbox. Around the waist, I mean.

I probably would be a size 39, which I know is not an actual size, but I slot in between a 38 and a 40. So a 40.
5'10 and 150lb.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm potentially interested. Just leave it on my mom's porch in Oro Valley.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

I mean, I'm sure for racing you would want a fully faired clipon supersport, but I just could see no advantage to having one over my tuono, just super comfortable and still as fast as I would ever need on a track - I was hitting ~130-135 on the main straight.

The other Tuono (which was brand spankin' new, under 500 miles on it) was probably the fastest bike on track next ton the Graves R1 which was a race bike.

So you liked the Tuono on the track? I'd like to try one of those V-twin guys; that would be fun.

That looks like a great track. Did you have any of the chicanes at turns 2 or 3?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was debating with myself about shifting halfway through 5. And yeah, I was totally "apexing" it at the inside curbing, which meant that I was way over track-right by the time I hit the braking zone for 6.

My debate for the spring is going to be about checking out a new track like RA or Grattan or learning this one a little bit better.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I remember my 4-wheel friends always talked about Grattan and how the brave could get air there. It sounds terrifying to me.

I'd also like to check out Gingerman and the exhausting-sounding twentysomething-turn full Autobahn track. Sessions must be like 2 laps long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah just pass everybody on the outside like they're standing still. That's a great video; it's interesting to see the lines you take, esp through 3, 4, and 5.

I am now interested in Putnam Park, too. From the overhead view it looks complicated: lots of turns close together, and feeding into each other.

• Locked thread