Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Loki, have you ridden Barber before? I live like 45 minutes from the track.

lokigoesrawr posted:

T1-T2, around 0:12-
Why did the bike shake?
Looks like he got on the throttle a little too much and slid a bit.

Be aware that just after 6 is a pretty good little bump that will catch you by surprise. I think they fixed the one between 5b and 6. Also, don't target fixate on the brick wall in 1; it looks way closer than it is and scares the poo poo out of everyone their first time.

Edit: Oh hey the post I replied to is like 2 months old. :cool:

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

If you think about it, that's probably no more then ~700lbs being towed, which is the equivalent of squeezing a few fat people into the car. It's not going to win drag races with it, but it should be okay.

It's not the pulling it that is the concern; most anything can pull a trailer. The part of the equation you need to factor in is the braking capability of the tow vehicle.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Still, weight pushing the car is different than sprung weight inside the car. I'd be hesitant to put my life in the hands of a Honda Civic's brakes.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lokigoesrawr posted:

My Barber laptimes are still sitting at a pathetic 2:03-05, though.

Don't feel too bad, the AMA Superbike guys only run a 1:40 or so. ;)
If you want retarded, the IRL race is this weekend; they turned 1:19 laps last year and may turn 1:09 or lower this year.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

needknees posted:

My suit is perforated :(. I've ridden in the rain in my Dainese two piece suit a number of times and it wasn't terrible, but like Z3n mentioned they get awfully heavy. That suit is solid leather too, so I more or less stayed dry.

I agree, that suit is insanely expensive for what basically amounts to a giant condom :v:. I need to look around some more but in a quick search I haven't found much that looks like it would actually hold up to decent speeds without flapping all over the place, potentially destroying itself in the process. I guess I could duct tape a lesser suit down or something.

Why duct tape a lesser suit? Just make a suit out of duct tape.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

4 hours is the closest track to me :( After riding the DRZ on the track I'm really itching to get back on the track and see how the SV handles it. Need to find a kart track or something so I can get my fix.

I have 2 within an hour (Talladega GP and Barber Motorsports Park) and another 3 hours away (Road Atlanta) but I have no money. It's far worse to have world class tracks near you but no money to go use them. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I wish I had money to do trackdays right now. There's a 2 day track day at barber right now for loving $315. That price includes both days, lunch both days, refreshments all day long (water, soda, gatorade, light snacks), suspension setup help from Ohlins factory, and tire services from Bridgestone.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's a drat good deal on a trackday at a nice track. Who the hell does Ohlins factory support out there?

No idea, it just says Ohlins factory support.
BMP has full electricity at all of the pit stalls; $25 for the weekend to use it. That's gotta be about the same price as running a generator on $2.50 gas for the weekend with the bonus of no generator noise.
Talladega Grand Prix has a weekend trackday the same weekend for $180 for both days. You don't get all the nice stuff like lunch and refreshments and such and the track is flat and all left turns, but still.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

needknees posted:

I would try to scrounge up whatever money you can and get your rear end out there for at least one day. Jesus that's cheap for Barber. I really, really want to ride that track but it's quite a haul for me :(.

It's only a day trip from Illinois.

NitroSpazzz posted:

If your ever headed to one of these let me know. Those are two of the closer tracks to me. I've run Tally once and plan on running Barber in the end of June.

Yay for selling the track car to fund track days :)

July 10th and 11th is the Barber event I was talking about. Email xacttech2000@yahoo.com if you want more info.

I won't be able to do a track day until my wife gets a job. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Holy gently caress. Do you know how many slots are left? Might have to snag 2 advances and a novice.

Email xacttech2000@yahoo.com and ask him. His company is putting on the track day. I'm not sure if you need to mention you're "from" alsportbike.com or not, don't think so but it couldn't hurt.

Edit: I forgot to add, be very sure about the skills of whoever is requesting those advanced class tickets before buying them. Advanced class at Barber is usually nothing but WERA racers. If you aren't turning consistent 1:3x lap times (Matt Mladin holds the record at 1:25.047) then you might want to bump down to I or you're going to get run over all day long.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 11, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sportbike Track Time's annual nighttime track "day" at Nashville Super Speedway is coming up. STT is waiving membership fees and also offering a day at Road Atlanta in September for $100 if you book both days at the same time, just call them and ask for the deal. I'd say $240 to do a "day" at NSS under the lights and a day at Road Atlanta is a good deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhlAnBIj6A

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

I hear Nashville is a really lovely track, though.

Well yeah, but how many places offer track days at night under the lights? I've never heard of any others, anyway.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

TheUltimateCool posted:

Were you at STT's last event at Nashville? In April?

Nope. I haven't done a trackday yet, but I plan to shortly once my finances are more stable. Alabama has a ton of world class tracks with really cheap trackdays all around it, and several little tracks with minuscule entry fees.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Little Tally for $99 a day. Jesus I need to get some track gear.

quote:

X-ACT Motorsports is happy to announce we are co-hosting the October 16th and 17th event at Little Tally with Ed Bargy!

Cost is $198.00 for both days and $99.00 for one day.

We will have Stickboyracing tire support (Bridgestone).

For sign up please shoot me a email at - xacttech2000@yahoo.com

This should be a great event, don't wait we anticipate a sell out!

Basically, Ed Bargy runs the classroom, X-Act runs the track. When Ed is in the classroom the track is open. When Ed is on the track with the novice group the track is closed. Basically you get 40 minutes of open track time per hour all day long.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Signed up for this!

Whatever tire you go with, make sure you have a lot of left side tire left for little Tally. :v:
I think there's only one right turn on the entire thing. Most guys do a TGPR day and then a Barber day back to back as Barber is mostly right handers; gets you a nice even tire wear. :keke:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lokigoesrawr posted:

Which tracks did you do with STT? Do you know what division? I know that's the rule for NESBA Beginner group (org wide), but at least with Southern STT it's "outside of turns" for Novice and "anywhere with 6'+" in Intermediate.

Wish I were closer to Trackaddix events. That open format sounds amazing. STT does a 2 group (Int/Adv) 30 minute format at Jennings in December that was really fun as well. Similar passing rules, lots of seat time.

If you're in the South you should look in to X-ACT Motorsports' track days. X-ACT runs their track days like an open day. Basically, the track is open to do what you want except for a few 20 minute sessions in the morning when the novices aren't in class.

X-ACT have a weekend coming up, October 16th and 17th, at Talladega GP. It's $99/day or $198 for the weekend.

quote:

X-ACT Motorsports is happy to announce we are co-hosting the October 16th and 17th event at Little Tally with Ed Bargy!

Cost is $198.00 for both days and $99.00 for one day.

We will have Stickboyracing tire support (Bridgestone).

For sign up please shoot me a email at - xacttech2000@yahoo.com

This should be a great event, don't wait we anticipate a sell out!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Are you going phil? I'll be there the whole weekend..super pumped.

Nope, I have class that weekend. You may be interested in hitting up Alabama Sportbike as there is a decent sized group of people who do track days all over the south east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think I will be headed to little tally with x-act late June then again at a later date with STT. Getting the CRF prepped for gap/track duty now.

Hit me up if you do decide to go. I'll come chill and pit bitch for you.

• Locked thread