Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Worth bringing my FZ6 with pilot road tires to the track, or should I 'invest' in a lovely old 600CC RR bike and throw on some nice tires? I really want to get in to track days but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing my daily driver standardish bike.

Something like this '99 R6? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4769297381.html

or this ZX6 ? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4739039417.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Barnsy posted:

If you've never been on track before, I'd say take your own bike. You'll still have a blast (I did), and you'll be able to decide whether you want a track-specific bike. You'll still enjoy taking your FZ6 to high speeds and nice, flowy corners with a lot less risk than the streets.

I'm mainly concerned with crashing it I guess, if I wreck a second bike at the track I wouldn't even be mad, but if I wreck my 'get to work' bike it would suck a lot… I was going to take my fiesta ST to the track, but I just can't risk loving up a 25,000 car that wouldn't be covered under insurance.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Awesome shots! I really, really need to do a track day. I'm just apprehensive about bringing my only bike there, but I just slapped Q3's on my Tuono which should work fine on track...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm looking to buy a truck i can fit my bike in for tracking etc. I cant decide if I want a tacoma/frontier or just go full redneck and go for a big 'ol f150/ram. Manual and 4wd required.
I know I could tow with my jetta But i need to buy a truck anyway.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't get a Frontier. Tacomas are overpriced.

Basically where I'm at is that Frontiers and Tacomas are insanely overpriced, even for old rustbuckets. I'm pretty set on getting a full size 4X4 America Truck, either F150/Ram/Silverado since it seems like I can get a halfway decent one for ~2-5K, and if I wanted a decent 4X4 Japanese truck, I'd be looking at 6-9K.

Might snag something this weekend, just gotta make sure my bike will fit in the bed!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would get a Chevy Express van if I wanted 2WD, but I want 4X4 for snow and for actual off roading. I went to rent a compact car in Colorado but they ran out and I ended up with a Frontier 4X4 with the off road package, and naturally decided to go off roading and was extremely :krad: . So why not get a 4WD truck to move my bike AND go wheelin'??

I actually saw this exact episode being filmed- it was the first time I ever went off roading and it was over a foot of snow on a super hard trail, but somehow the rental truck made it through unscathed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gDuiTNbrM

Voltage fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 7, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm going to NY Safety track very soon - Any tips before I go? First track day ever - aiming for mid-late June.
I still need to pick up decent boots and gloves, and safety wire up the Tuono. I'm most likely going to rent a uhaul bike trailer unless I can find a decent one for fairly cheap on craigslist. Going to be towing with my Jetta 1.4T most likely, but it's got 184 torques which should be more than enough...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I recently did my first track day at NJMP thunderbolt. I trailered my bike there and it worked out well. It was for the Yamaha champions riding school and only 10 people showed up, it was 85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Basically an ideal and private track day. I learned more that day than 6+ years of street riding. The biggest takeaway was how much harder I could push the bike, especially braking than I thought possible. Just absolutely insane! I've never had that much fun in my entire life, and I can see myself getting hooked.

I had basically 1 on 1 private instructions all day for 1/4 the price of what it normally goes for due to me just happening to be on the right mailing list and getting an invite.

The nuttiest part was riding on the back of an FZ-10 with 2 up handlebars on the tank and one of the pro's going balls out and laying down huge black strips on corners at over 100+. The adrenaline rush was unparalleled with anything I've ever done, and really showed me just how hard you can push a bike. I actually got a flat tire at the end of one of the sessions so I'm lucky I didn't dump it.

Only one dude crashed, on the the instructors on an R6, and it wasn't bad at all -otherwise no issues. Lots of other cool bikes there, '17 Tuono Factory, a fully prepped Graves R1, and even a Husky 701 SM. I wish I had taken more pics but I was so focused on riding!

Did about 115 miles total and the Tuono performed flawlessly. I have a few gopro vids from my helmet and from an instructor following me that I will post later.

The FZ-10 I rode on the back of:

Chicken Strips fully eliminated! I feel pretty smug about this one.

Bonus Lexus LC500 someone had:

Voltage fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 22, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I mean, I'm sure for racing you would want a fully faired clipon supersport, but I just could see no advantage to having one over my tuono, just super comfortable and still as fast as I would ever need on a track - I was hitting ~130-135 on the main straight.

The other Tuono (which was brand spankin' new, under 500 miles on it) was probably the fastest bike on track next ton the Graves R1 which was a race bike.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The Tuono (mine is the 07 v-twin) is definitely the best bike I've had - super comfortable and very quick, makes a great sound, and so far extremely reliable. It was just so drat good on the track, really no issues and was super stable and predictable. It's really a great all around bike. I've even taken it camping and done a bunch of dirt/gravel roads on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

BlackMK4 posted:

Stuff an RSVR ohlins rear shock on it and do the Ohlins $300 valve kit in the forks.
Run the rear shock at 317mm eye-to-eye and the forks at 2 lines showing above the triples. Proceed to poop yourself at how great the chassis is.

Sounds like an excellent winter project in my new garage!

This: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=930

and

This? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aprilia-RSV1000-RSV1000R-2003-Ohlins-Rear-Shock-AP8230-/272845480080?hash=item3f86dba090:g:y48AAOSw74VZkFdc&vxp=mtr

or would I need a newer one?

• Locked thread