Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Rode the poo poo out of my EX250, leaning off on turns, occasionally scraping odd parts at speed getting the poo poo scared out of me at my first trackday, NESBA @ VIR-Full, 10/19/2009.

Spent the entire day drenched in adrenaline. Had the most amazing time. Also, tried not to freak out when people pass you with 90mph speed differentials 3 feet away on straights (or "straights" as the case may be).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUDoZREqh8
I'm the guy 2 positions ahead of camera (white upper suit and helmet), when he catches up to the traffic. I think I scraped crap a few times in those last two laps, following the control rider. Camera guy's apexing way early seems to have led to a wheel off the ground. Video starts at the back straight after T11a, crash at T4.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Blakeem bin Bustin posted:

What were you doing in I group?

hahahah whoooops, not sure why I thought that was me :v:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcPC6AX0tA

Did a trackday at Jennings, FL on my new F4i and ended up in an off-road excursion. I was being a dumbass with disregard for the apex or some sort of line. :v:

Video has 3 laps, then a crash. Sync'd and overlayed dashcam & asscam. Any sort of input or ridicule welcome.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

very helpful :words:

Many thanks as always.

[hitting the apexes, but not artificially drifting wide]
I think my biggest mistake all weekend was line selection. Watching the footage before the crash, I realized I could really lean the bike down at speed, which now gives me a ton of heart-felt confidence in the tires. When you say commit to the turn, do you mean I should be at max lean shortly/crisply after turn-in?

[upright: pinned or on the brakes; revs]
I'll keep this in mind. My poor brain is still trying to process what it considers to be insane acceleration and speed. I need to stop being a pussy and adapt. The 600i4 is often overwhelming and so much more fun compared to a Ninja 250.

[traffic]
I seem to get really paranoid about taking someone else out. I get anxious whenever there's traffic around. Like you say, I guess it's something you just get used to. At 5:06 I got really scared I was going to hit his rear.

I know line and inputs are much more important than body position, but any critiques there? I feel like my head and shoulders are often staying planted.

On chicane-like transitions, should you be moving upper and lower body for each turn? By how much?

My toes seem to consistently touch before my knees, which have yet to touch down while on the bike :v: Not sure if it's foot position (where the balls rest on the peg), legs being too conservative (I think most likely), or hip position/orientation. I'm never at ease with leaning the bike over while hanging off because I think I'll somehow hit my toes and fall off the bike. :downs:

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 10, 2009

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

MrKatharsis posted:

I'd love to come tailgate and cheer you on at Jennings. I've been there a couple times and I love it.

I'd love to ride with you. Jennings was indeed a lot of fun to ride on. And the pits were really nice--I loved how it was designed for motorcycles. Might make the 9 hour drive down from NC again in January.

Off to prep for Road Atlanta this weekend. If anyone's been there before, any tips?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

You're having difficulty getting your knee down because you are rotating your hips so your knee is going towards the front tire. If you square your hips so that they are perpendicular to the lines of the bikes, when you put your leg out it will go towards the ground, not towards the front tire. You've got the lean angle to get your knee down (especially in pic 2), but you don't have the lower body locked in and perpendicular to the bike.

Also, now is a good time to train yourself to hold on with your outside leg. You can't have your inside leg be tense when you hit the ground or it'll bounce off and upset the bike. That'll help you square your hips up too.

Any questions/anything unclear?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I don't know why I didn't see that before. That makes a lot of sense. I'll work on squaring up and locking in after focusing on lines/inputs/consistency.

I think I need to remount my techspecs higher. I stuck them on there about in the middle of the tank. I almost feel like my outside leg would slip, but I'm not sure if that's just in my head.

Anyway, I've got my list of things to work on at Road Atlanta Fri/Sat/Sun. Might get some rain. I might request more of your seemingly infinite wisdom after the weekend if you're willing. Thanks again! :)

Zenaida posted:

Hey Tilt-suit-crashing-in buddy. How'd yours hold up? Looks like it did pretty well from your pics. Yours is a two piece?

Yup, it's a 2-piece, cheaper non-perf'd option A. Held up pretty well, wore down in a bunch of spots, minor seam separation on the left butt after being ground down. Did its job really well. Clean fall--wasn't even sore anywhere. :)

You?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Finally got around to splicing up some footage from a couple weekends ago at Road Atlanta with NESBA. Temps were freezing or in the low-30s, but tamer in the late afternoon after the tarmac had some time to absorb the sun.

Started out first session Friday trying to learn the track, and got down to a 2:20. Ended up running consistent 2:07s by the end of the day. Reviewed video and laptimes in the downtime, preparing for the next day, trying to figure out what to improve. Weather reports weren't too optimistic for Saturday and Sunday, but thankfully we ended up getting 3-4 good sessions in Saturday morning. There were a few people in the beginner group that were way faster than me, but I got to the point where I was one of the faster people in B class.

A group was running ~1:40s, I group somewhere in between.

Video has footage of my last two laps on Friday (Hero HD dashcam) and my PB 2:03.9 Sunday (Contour720 asscam--sorry about the wind noise). Slapped on timers in Vegas for diagnosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3M2lOoaNS0

I had a couple instances (not on vid) between apex-exit where my front end skipped out a little and caught back up, lap 2 or 3 on a run session, which terrified me. Dunlop Q2s 26F/27R-ish cold. I'm thinking cold tires. Tire temps after run sessions were barely warm to the touch.

After re-watching my footage, I felt like turn-ins were way late on many crucial turns before straights, missing apexes by a good bit. Also, I have a problem with creeping in on entry--no crisp point of turn-in. Could have carried much more speed through turns, but I was constantly afraid of leaning the bike over much.

At the end of the asscam lap, I pass a guy on the front straight cruising on a 1000. I should have gone outside, but already made the commitment and got stuck on the inside line. Afraid to cut him off, I hold inside, brake, consider taking T1, panic, drag brakes in and somehow don't go off. Probably could have made the turn easily at that speed, but I guess I was really lacking confidence in the tires or something. The guy that I cut off was very understanding. The CR that looks back congratulates me post-session for "saving it". :v:

I tried to work on pinning WOT while straight up, and felt like I did a lot better compared to the previous week at Jennings, but still had a mental block accelerating in 6th on the back straight into the the blind downhill kink. Got a little better on Saturday. Took the advice of a CR to shift your butt over before the kink and deploying the knee sail as you turned in. I'm dripping in adrenaline thinking about it--so much wind resistance.

Supported my weight with outside knee on tank instead of the inside peg for the first time. Felt so much more stable and confidence inspiring. Still need to work on not rotating my hips so I can eventually touch a knee. More upper body, too.

As always, I'd be grateful for any sort of input.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

I can't offer much in the way of advice (track newb...) but... looking pretty good man :). How was it running that fast in those temps, comfortwise? Perfed leathers? Also, what are you using to edit your videos and how did you get the timer in there? I recently picked up a GoProHD and am looking for some editing software.

Spiffness posted:

I can't give any real constructive feedback, I'll leave that to our resident wall of text. Good on you for going at a good clip in such cold weather. I'd be pretty shaken if I came back in after a session and my tires were luke warm. Not a lot of faith.

The scrolling 'oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god' cracked me up. Been there. Thought that.

Thanks guys!

Thankfully non-perf'd suit. Turtleneck helped a bit. Saw a lot of scarves. I wore a sweater over my suit Saturday morning. In one of the sessions, a CR wore this yellow Walmart special raincoat presumably as a windbreaker. A few laps later we get a waving red-striped yellow flag (debris) before the straightaway. Freaked me out the first time around thinking someone had shattered fairings all over the track. :v:

Really though, nothing was bad as the freezing hands. Despite knowing better, I only measured tire pressures maybe once or twice. After taking my gloves off, I briefly felt the tires, and promptly ran to the space heater to thaw out my hands. After a few minutes of camping in front of heater, the sensation of pain would come back in the finger tips -- from being entirely numb through the knuckles. :v: My buddy and I had little motivation to do much other than be little pussies in front of the heater for 30-40 minutes until they made second or third call for our group over the PA. I was fine later, but my buddy's fingers were all swollen from frost bite the next morning. :ohdear:

Also, protip: blue nitrile gloves dabbed with baby powder under the gauntlets work magnificently

I think you'll like the GoPro HD. Much clunkier form factor than the ContourHD, but I like it a lot better. Seemingly much less compression on the recordings--easier to play and seek through on my old laptop. The Contour also had some issues with dropping active recordings. Pseudo-documented battery issue causing a lot of anguish.

Ran out of battery on the GoPro once, missing out on some good footage. Haven't been able to find extra batteries for the GoPro HD online.

I've been attempting to use Sony Vegas Pro 9 for editing. I've heard it's easier to learn than Adobe Premiere. On the timeline, I split (hotkey: 's') the footage close to the finish line, then drag the 'timecode' media fx from the top window onto each segment. Send me a PM if you want any help with finding software.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Given I'll be wearing my high-viz Olympia suit, I'll look silly anyway. You think a novice can handle two track days in a row? Don't think I'd be too dead after the first one?

Absolutely. I think you'll feel much more comfortable the second day, being more familiar with the track, procedures, pace, etc.

STT (and most trackday providers) do require a full-face helmet and will not allow flip-ups, though. The nylon suit should be fine as long as it has a full-circumference zipper (if it does not, and you bring it up to them, they will probably not allow it on track, but I've seen a few people ninja just back zippers at trackdays).

STT's novice instruction is quite involved and comprehensive for just a trackday. Lots of hand-holding and structure should you want it.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well I've got a cheap-rear end HJC that I could use if I have to. I made the mistake of trying on a $580 Arai Supermotard helmet at the store . . . wants it, wants it SO BIG.

You know what their boot requirements are? Currently I'm riding in 12" Matterhorn gently caress-off work boots.

My Olympia high-viz suit is a onesie, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll want an actual CE back protector though to replace the foam pad that it came with.

STT's site (http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/) is being lovely right now, but you should be able to find bike and gear requirements on their site. Might just be most anything that comes up to the shins.

Back protectors aren't required in novice class, but they certainly give me a huge sense of security. Spinal injuries scare me more than death. Expensive, though -- everything I've seen Cycle Gear carry (A-stars, Dainese) is $70-200.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

schreibs posted:

Since you have done both would you say STT or NESBA has more novice/beginner instruction? Im jumping into NESBA this season as my first group because co-workers will be there but if STT gives more instruction I could always do my first couple of days with them.

In my limited experience, STT definitely has more novice instruction, and more structured instruction. If all regions follow the same format/curriculum, it goes something like this:

Classroom session after rider's meeting, divide group into 4-6 subgroups, each assigned to an instructor according to self-reported pace. Classroom after each run session to cover Q&A and a different topic, e.g. line, throttle control, body position. You're really crunched for time, because it's 20 minutes run session, 20 minutes classroom, and then 10 minutes break before first call. They usually let you do your own thing if you want in the afternoon, but it's somewhat restrictive in the mornings. If you do a few days with them, it gets a little repetitive. This is the format I would have preferred for my first trackday.

NESBA just uses control riders mixed in with traffic. Occasionally a CR will get in front of you to show you the line. You can get critique if you ask for it, but they generally give you much more freedom. Kind of a mixed bag.

I believe STT is more liberal with class selection between Novice/Intermediate, whereas NESBA seems to require a CR to critique your riding and certify you out of Beginner.

NESBA certainly has more restrictive passing rules for Beginner group (no passing whatsoever if the bike in front is not completely straight up), at least on paper. Many don't strictly abide by it and still make safe passes, so it kinda messes with expectations.

edit:
http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=6748
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=8521

Consensus seems to be that I group in STT is more unpredictable, and that B group in NESBA is crowded in terms of skill levels. I can see how the former assessment would be true, and agree with the latter.

Also, doing a special 2-group format at Jennings with STT where safe passing was allowed everywhere in both groups was a huge eye-opener. My buddy, Rogue Engineer, had a blast on his first trackday in said 2-group format on a Ninja 250. I would've been scared shitless with the frequent close passes but he's a heads-first type of guy with considerable intuition.

The next week he was constantly bitching about the passing rules (and the whole 25hp he had) at Road Atlanta with NESBA and eventually just started passing in turns whenever it was safe and people were crawling. There was this one instance that deserves a mention: passes a reallllly slow guy on a supersport at T6 on the outside with a 10ft+ buffer. My friend is re-passed on the back straight after T7, but catches up to the slow guy on the downhill approach to T10A, outbrakes him into T10A (upon video review, with quite a lengthy margin before the turn-in, both bikes straight up and down), and goes about his business. After the run session, he was all giddy about getting compliments from CRs and generally bragging about hauling rear end. He was bragging about outbraking a guy as two guys walk up to our tent and ask if one of us was riding the green ninja. Turns out he's the really slow guy my friend passed -- he gets all pissy about it, Rogue Engineer apologizes, they shake hands, and as he walks away, the guy threatens to kill my friend if it happens again. It takes a moment to process, my buddy looks at me with a 'did that just happen' face and we try not to start cracking up too obviously. After watching the footage, it was hilarious how big of a douchebag the guy was being.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 20, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Ordered a back and chest protector, Woodcraft frame sliders, Pitbull front and rear stands and spools. Pretty much all I have left is a hitch for the car, and picking up the small trailer I already have lined up. Anything else I really need? I'm thinking about getting a little awning to put up for shade but fortunately those are pretty cheap.

I got a cheap $35 canopy for one of my track days, and after struggling with it constantly, ended up trashing it out of frustration in the evening. It was a rainy and slightly windy day, and after every run session we came back to a completely collapsed camp.

Spent the ~90 for the EZ-Up/Firstup canopy with the folding frame that everyone seems to use. Been happy with that one.

Bringing random spares like levers seems to be helpful. Make sure to include a hammer, Gorilla tape (so much better than regular duct tape), and zip-ties in your tool box.

I can't think of much else than my upcoming trackdays in 2 and 4 weeks. After obsessively watching youtube videos, I just bought a month subscription to iRacing to learn Barber Motorsports Park. It seems like half the turns are completely blind. :tinfoil:

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 16, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

What track other than Barber are you hitting? If I get a REALLY wild hair up my rear end I might consider a weekend at Barber sometime this year. I'd love to ride that track as well as the museum. It's *only* a tad over 900 miles. That's not too bad, right?

Haha, it would be really cool to meet you. I considered tracking up to Autobahn in April, but there's STT @ Carolina Motorsports Park and NESBA @ Barber that same weekend. The shorter drive is one thing, but I'm really looking forward to riding on tracks I've rode before.

My tentative schedule looks like this (**confirmed; *maybe; others just dates as of now)--
**Feb 27-28 (Sat-Sun): NESBA @ Barber (Birmingham, AL)
**Mar 13-14 (Sat-Sun): STT @ Barber

*Mar 22 (Mon): Cornerspeed school @ VIR-N (Alton, VA)
Mar 27-29 (Sat-Mon): Jennings in-house (Jennings, FL)
Mar 27-28 (Sat-Sun): Cornerspin dirt school (Spencer, NC)

**Apr 2-4 (Fri-Sun): NESBA @ Road Atlanta
Apr 9 (Fri): Cornerspeed school @ CMP (Kershaw, SC)
*Apr 10-12 (Sat-Mon): Jennings in-house
*Apr 24-25 (Sat-Sun): NESBA @ Barber -or- STT @ CMP

May 7-8 (Fri-Sat): STT @ Barber
May 14 (Fri): NESBA SED-B @ VIR-N
May 15 (Sat): NESBA SED-I @ VIR-S
May 28-30 (Fri-Sun): NESBA @ Barber

I might be out of the country by May so I'm trying to get in as much track time as possible before then.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I'd definitely add a weekend at Jennings if I had a buddy to endure the 9-hour drive with. I almost went last weekend, but pussied out.

I just learned about and ordered the TOTW2 DVD. I've been looking for a riding audiobook for the long drives, but this looks like it'd be much more enjoyable (as long as I don't flip my van or something). If anyone's interested, I might put it up on the gear exchange thread after I'm done with it.

OTT interview with Keith Code and the producer here (5*10min): http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/category/11/14/65/

FINALLY got the Rockwall race bodywork I ordered in loving November. Took numerous emails and phone calls for them to get on the ball. Looks like a lot more work than I imagined. Oh, and they forgot the fasteners. Really hope I can prep it in time for next week.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I'm looking over Barber videos and having a little trouble figuring what I'm supposed to be doing at a few points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfWFj-jUh4

T1-T2, around 0:12-
Why did the bike shake?
So you're rolling on after T1, and then you flip it over for T2-3, but I can't figure out where he's braking. I'll probably straighten up for that, but is he braking while still leaned left?

T13-T14-T14a, starting 1:24-
You're leaned over the whole time and T14 is decreasing radius. Should there be any braking in T14, prepping for T14a entry, or is it purely roll-off?

All this downshifting while leaned over business is slightly unnerving. Also, the 'once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn' rule is confusing when you start connecting some of these chicanes.

Any advice for the newbie?

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

It looks like he brakes for 13, sweeps in to the apex, and then stands the bike up, brakes into 14, drifts wide, and then once he's slowed enough, he's at the proper entry speed for 14a, and dips back in for the second apex. Split 13 and 14/14a into 2 corners, 13 is a traditional corner, except that on exit you'll be rolling out, leaned over slightly to the right, while braking for 14a.

Honestly, you're not going to gain too much from watching videos of fast riders at the track. You're going to be 20-30 seconds off this pace, so if you try and match their lines exactly, you're going to end up turning in way too early and drifting way too wide.

I'd instead play videogames that let you have some idea of where the track goes, and spend a few sessions going slow, trying to figure out your reference points for the track. The track looks very different in person than it does on video.

There isn't an exception to the keith code throttle rule on this track, you just need to break up the corners a little more.

Cool, that helps a lot, thanks.

I think lazy steering was one of the things that contributed to my Jennings crash. At Atlanta, I think I compensated for my very slow lean rate by pulling back turn-in points as the sessions progressed (back from the points I saw CRs initially turn-in on sighting laps).

I really want to be able to flick the bike faster--should I gradually try to turn-in later from what seems early and comfortable?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

Take the pace down about 10-15%, and practice setting your body position securely before you turn in. Once you're locked into place before you give steering input, relax your outside arm and aggressively push the inside bar to get the bike to flip on it's side. From there, you can adjust your turn in point later to compensate for the more aggressive turn in and ramp up the pace, or just up the pace to carry more speed and compensate for the more aggressive turn in.

I'll try that and report back sometime next week with video. Borrowing a friend's GoProHD so hopefully I'll get some more diagnostic angles on the side. :)

So as I understand it, if your tires are warm and you're not on the brakes, it's incredibly unlikely that you can overspend the front traction just from fast steering, right? Short of scraping and over-riding the tires, or falling off the bike or something stupid, that is.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMseWXoFVOo

Looks like I'm unconsciously pulling my knee in before it actually touches. Is my hip still pointed towards the outside?

Regardless, getting the rearsets moved up and back will do wonders for lean confidence (hope I can get these in before Friday), as well as having the techspecs moved properly so I can carry my weight on the tank instead of the inside footpeg. Had this mental block of leaning the bike over all weekend, especially after a long hiatus.

Oh and crashed last session Saturday on the outing lap. Just passed a guy after T4, braked, completely off the brakes, leaned in lazily T5 skeptical of entry speed, front tucks out at max lean a half-second after cracking open the gas. Completely my fault not respecting cold tires. Spent all of Sunday trying to work back to Saturday's pace. I knew why it happened and why I shouldn't be afraid of it happening again, but jesus christ it fucks with your head so much.

Question:
I know you're supposed to lock in BP before entry (before you start braking and downshifting?), but when exactly should that be ideally? I find it incredibly difficult hard braking (as well as awkward shifting) with a knee dangling out instead of bracing the tank. Is this just something you have to get used to, or can you just finish slowing down, assume corner BP, wait, then turn in?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Inu: at least you're on 17" and not 16" rims (-07) :3:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Zool posted:

I went to the track today and crashed 0 times. A personal best! :haw:

No poo poo, haha, same here. :downs:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Resource posted:

I think I want to ride a motorcycle on the track.

I've only put just over 1k miles on my beat up old 250. Do I need to spend more time just riding around? What should I look for in a track bike? What else can I do to prepare myself to ride on a track.

Also, any suggestions for schools or other good newbie track experience near Austin, TX? I don't really know where to start.

Figure out what tracks are within the distance you're willing to travel. You can probably find a decent sample of them here:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/resources/tracks/

Figure out what organizations are running events at those tracks. Again, many of them might be listed here:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/calendar/glance/

You'll need a 1-piece or full circumference zippered 2-piece (leather) suit, full boots, and gauntlet gloves. That'll run you anywhere from 300 to a grand. Figure out how you're going to haul your bike to and from the track. Make sure you have good tires, and that all wear items are excellent--cosmetics/plastics are a non-issue; go through the org's tech list, rules, etc. Also, pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist 2.

When you go through all that and become addicted (it's honestly beyond my comprehension as how one would avoid obsessive addiction), start looking for track mods or track bikes.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

AncientTV posted:

Piggy-backing on Resource's post, is there an expectation as far as rider experience is concerned when you show up for a track school? I don't plan on attending one for another year or so due to finances, but even then, I wouldn't want to get eaten alive by all others in attendance.

I don't think I'm really qualified to answer these questions, but I get the general impression that most track schools have programs geared toward riders who have never been on the track. Track schools often seem to have different levels of classes. You're generally expected to be comfortable riding a motorcycle.

Ask the individual schools.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
You still technically need a full zipper (not just a back zipper strip) textile for STT Novice. That said, they won't check, and I've even seen one guy bring it up to staff, get called out on it, and still ride.

If you're in the market, though, don't buy a new textile suit planning to use it for trackdays.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
If you by chance get a suit from Tilt Customs, they have an option to include a back protector for $45.

On the way to a Fri-Sun 3-day at Road Atlanta, atm. I think it'll be my last trackday for a while, so I'm planning to get back in the groove Fri/Sat and really push it to set a PB Sunday.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
About the same -- shy of 200/day.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

frozenphil posted:

Loki, have you ridden Barber before? I live like 45 minutes from the track.

Looks like he got on the throttle a little too much and slid a bit.

Be aware that just after 6 is a pretty good little bump that will catch you by surprise. I think they fixed the one between 5b and 6. Also, don't target fixate on the brick wall in 1; it looks way closer than it is and scares the poo poo out of everyone their first time.

Edit: Oh hey the post I replied to is like 2 months old. :cool:

Going into T1 did scare me the first weekend. I had to really exaggerate looking into the turn (past the outside of the right-hander T2 entry) to try and mentally block out the seemingly close wall. The second time I was there an STT instructor ran me through the 1-gear drill, holding 3rd for the entire track, limiting straightaway speeds. Did wonders for carrying entry speed as I was over-braking at the end of straights from being overwhelmed before the drill. My Barber laptimes are still sitting at a pathetic 2:03-05, though.

----
Just got back from an amazing 3-day weekend at Road Atlanta. Temps in the 70s-80s, tires seemed to be pretty much at temp on the outing lap -- such a great feeling. By the last run session, I was posting consistent 1:53-54s compared to my 2:07s (and freak :04) in December, and finally got bumped into NESBA Intermediate group Sunday afternoon.

Still haven't dragged knee (while on the bike :haw: ), so my attempts at fast flicks are inconsistent and I'm still a big pussy about lean angle. I think I'm getting fairly decent at high speed turns keeping pace with the faster guys, but the slower T7 and T12 still loving kill me. Looking at footage, my lines seem to be getting better, but seeing lazy steering (and thus an inconsistent line) in a lot of turns is a huge eyesore. CRs/instructors have been telling me my BP looks good for the last few trackdays so I think I'm pulling my knee in before it hits the ground and/or being a big pussy.

Also, my Q2s have lasted an obscene number of trackdays (1.5CMP+2JGP+2ATL+4Barber+3ATL= 12 days; though quite a few rainy). The front is still good and the rear could probably barely pass another day of tech. Been hauling around a spare rear since December.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Road Atlanta trackmap

T5: ego shot

T6

T7 front

T7 rear

crashiT10A: pitting like a pro :downs:

My buddy RogueEngineer went down Saturday afternoon after riding the poo poo out of my Ninja 250. Dragging knee through half the turns and scraping peg carrying pace in quite a few. (Consistently 10-20mph faster than me on both bikes in T7&12.) Finally leaned it over a little too far and went down in 10B exit.

the aftermath

The peg bolt bracket on the right rearset broke off, so he ended up fixing it with a drill and some random hardware we had laying around. I had a spare left peg, so we jammed it on and cut it down for more lean clearance.

Had a huge chunk of fairing missing, so we had a little fun.

...a little too much fun

RogueEngineer reppin' the HK

aaaaaand back at it on Sunday; T7

my purty new sticker

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 8, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Since this is my first trackday ever this saturday someone tell me what poo poo I'm forgetting:

I wish I had Under Armor or at least a dozen clean t-shirts and socks this past weekend. So retardedly sweaty.

If they have electric hookups, fans and/or heaters have been useful. Chairs and a canopy if you have one.

If you're running video, make sure you have something to dump the video on or extra memory cards. If they don't have electricity, a usb car charger works well. My gopro hd usually does just shy of a day on a full charge.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
oh oh and know which fuses to pull for headlight and tail/brake lights so you don't have to deal with melted tape residue later

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

At the track now, just ate some lunch. HOLY loving poo poo this is fun! Had a cr behind me for a good chunk of our last session, got some good feedback from him. Apparentlyu form is halfway decent but my line choice sucks, heh.

This.

poo poo.

Rocks.

:hellyeah:

I'm so jealous! Happy for ya. Keep hydrated and have fun out there. Try to use the whole track and establish some reference points for turn-ins (and braking, etc. when you find a little more consistency).

You're on for both days, right? The subsequent days are even better since you have a much better bearing of the track. Are you camping in the paddock?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Reminds me of a funny story from December at Road Atlanta. It was really cold out so there were a bunch of people wearing stuff over leathers (I think I had a sweater over mine for all the morning sessions). I come out of T7 right before the back straight and see the debris flag and yellow flag waving wildly. A couple seconds later a bunch of yellow shards littered across the track suddenly appear -- I'm like, whoa, dial back and straighten up, expecting a bike to have had a violent fall and shattered plastics all over the place. No sign of a downed bike, and just the debris flag on the subsequent laps. After pitting in, we hear an announcement over the PA telling people not to wear loose clothing on the track. Apparently the CR that was gridded up with the yellow raincoat as a windbreaker didn't come back with it. :v:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I almost signed up for a open track format at VIR a couple months ago, but pussied out due to logistics (though traffic anxiety was among my lame excuses). Duly noted and I'll try to do one of those if I get a chance. How much total track time did you end up running and how did you pace yourself?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Anyone interested in a Sportbike Track Time 2-day at Road Atlanta, July 3-4?

$355 for the weekend, I believe 7 sessions Saturday and 6 sessions Sunday.

STT apparently runs the crazy old T11/12 downhill sweeper, instead of the slower new motorcycle config AMA, NESBA, etc. runs. Some racers got hurt slamming into the concrete wall at the bottom of the hill along the front straight and they changed it up last year. I've been hearing about how much fun the old config was from people at trackdays.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 10, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

tarzanspuma posted:

Oh wait, what's this?

"How was it," you ask? Un-loving-believable, that's how. The traction control? It's cheating, pure and simple. I was able to do things that, on any other bike, would have high-sided my rear end to the moon. Seriously, I have no business opening the throttle so early on corner exits... with hardly a wiggle from the back end, then a bit a of a wheelie before standing the bike up for the now way-too-short straights. Seriously... I'm not that good. What an amazing machine.

Holyyyy poo poo. I am so jealous. I test rode one on the street a couple weeks ago, and the one thought going through my mind the entire time was how awesome it would be to track it. Great to hear your first-hand experiences with the TC.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Anyone ever used this? Looks pretty cool.

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

Wow, that seems to do pretty much everything a $600-700 GPS lap timer does?

I wonder what the latest gen Android phones' GPS receivers sample at and what their accelerometer specs are like.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

I got it (after updating my freakin phone because it wouldn't run it, at least sprint finally released android 2.1 for the hero) and hope to try it out on Monday. If I end up going I'm going to rent a transponder as well to compare it to "real" times. Just messing with it for a little bit tonight and setting up my split points for MAM it seemed pretty nice.

I can't say I'm not concerned about that :ohdear:. However they have a "motorcycle mode" where you can orient it vertically in a pocket. My leathers have a little zipup pouch in the chest, so the phone would be more or less protected by my chest guard. I'm sure that affects its accuracy though :(.

Looks like the software limits GPS sampling resolution to 1Hz. There's a $4 add-on for bluetooth external receiver (~$60) support, which bumps up resolution to 5Hz. That would make it much more useful for data acquisition, I'm sure.

As long as the phone stays on the mount, and the mount on the bike, isn't it relatively safe? How are you mounting yours btw?

Please let us know how sensitive the accelerometers are. Very curious how well the red/green lines match up on the track map.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
jesus f christ. Time to get a damper, maybe?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I think STT's novice group is typically a bit restrictive in the morning with follow-the-leader and observe-and-releasing, and let loose after lunch. The faster subgroups (1 and 2?) can usually do whatever after the first session.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Not in the days I've done with them in novice :-/. I've never gotten more than 2 (maybe 3, once) "open" sessions with them. Granted, one of those days we were running a pretty good pace but they still didn't open up passing until the last two sessions of the day. Which was lame as gently caress in my opinion.

Southeast/southern(?) division STT has been pretty good about it in my experience. They started something dubbed "veteran novice" this year, where you can still run N group, but are not subject to the classroom and you are free to do whatever within rules after the first session or so. Either for people that went through their classroom a few times already, or if I group sold out or something. One time with a cool instructor, what was supposed to be the "school zone speed" sighting lap session (where you typically get maybe 3 laps in 20 minutes) was done at 5 seconds off my PB. :v: Didn't mind playing follow the leader at that pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Yes. This.

STT's passing rules in novice are pretty strict. Passing when "the bike is completely upright" only. :jerkbag:

Which tracks did you do with STT? Do you know what division? I know that's the rule for NESBA Beginner group (org wide), but at least with Southern STT it's "outside of turns" for Novice and "anywhere with 6'+" in Intermediate.

Wish I were closer to Trackaddix events. That open format sounds amazing. STT does a 2 group (Int/Adv) 30 minute format at Jennings in December that was really fun as well. Similar passing rules, lots of seat time.

• Locked thread