Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Talk about riding at the track, and post up some photos.

Lots of supermotards out at the track today...

Spiffness and his KTM, looking cool as ever.

Me getting a little knee down...

And doing a little dance to celebrate.

That's more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The weather was great, but because it rained the day before the dirt section was a mud pit (and closed).

I finished breaking a bark buster that I twisted last week. I'm going to rig up a heat shield to protect my boot from the pipe, and figure out some way to repair my boot. I have three days of riding on these boots, so I'm not ready to throw them away just yet.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'm hoping that I can go out and do some supermoto racing, it's a lot cheaper and tracktime is a lot cheaper, so it's not the end of the world :)

:woop: Maybe we can meet up for a race in Oregon next summer.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was just digging through some photos from my last track day, and found a sequence of me tripling the whoop section!

I can't even do a double

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to the track this morning for a one hour SM practice session. It was wet, and started raining pretty good a 1/2 hour in.

I thought I was pretty cool power sliding out of turn 3. It wasn't as cool the next lap when as I straightened out and got on the throttle, and the front wheel started to lift; the rear spun up, then the weight transfer to the front broke it loose too. I managed to tuck the front, on the throttle, halfway down the back straight.

I did the same thing on the front straight a few laps later.

Oh yeah, my new leathers held up great.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm taking the SM out to an arenacross practice this weekend. Time to work some dirt into my leathers. Probably my mouth and nose too.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A couple laps from arenacross practice. http://vimeo.com/8143793

I could only do 3 or 4 laps at a time because it was so tiring, but oh what fun.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

I couldn't quite tell but are you running sumo tires? How does that perform on an all dirt track?

Avon Distanzias.

I got around the track, but they can't compete with knobbies. I could never clear the small tabletop because I didn't have enough grip to carry any speed through the corner before it.

Z3n, twice. My first time through the stutter section, and once while getting on the throttle before the big table top I just whipped a 180. I broke a handguard (again), and my boot got caught on my DIY heat shield and tore off the shield and part of the rear plastics.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm off to a cold day at the track!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

cold everything on a warm up lap.

That's not entirely accurate.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you crash right at the start of braking? It's too hard to hear with the wind noise.

Yep, I lost it as soon as I got on the brakes.

Spiffness posted:

Maybe "learn to brake in a straight line like the experts" would be better.

Wouldn't it suck if the Husky just fell right over onto someone's new Ducati...

Zool fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 24, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

:parrot:
It threw me off because it really wanted to wheelie, and I hadn't done one in over a lap.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

-Inu- posted:

If all goes as planned the 250 should be taking a weekend trip down to tally in 3 weeks. Oh god, its gonna be so ridiculously fun. BT016's 110-17F/150-17R, haha.

150s on a 3.5in rim are not going to handle right. The tire will be pinched in, reducing the size of the contact patch when leaned over. And you don't have enough power to take advantage of the larger contact patch (while upright) anyway. I wouldn't go over 140.

My track bike has a 4.25in rim, and 150/60 tires fit nicely. A 160/60 tire looks like an over inflated balloon on the same wheel.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 9, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to the track today and crashed 0 times. A personal best! :haw:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A bit of helmet cam from said zero crash track day.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

I've witnessed someones first ever time on a motorcycle being a race prepped KTM 450 SMR on the supermoto track.

Helluva way to get started.
I'm pretty sure it was a 530. I think his uncle told him to start in 2nd gear to keep him from looping it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've always wondered why an SV made such a good trackbike. It seems like the torquey twin-cylinder engine would make a great streetbike, but would be lackluster compared to more peaky I4 sportbikes on the track.

You have a wider power band to work with, you might be able to take a corner a gear higher, and not need to upshift as you exit. Of course the SV doesn't have the chassis, suspension, or brakes to compete with supersport 600. If you just wanted to compare twin vs I4 supersport you need to look at the 848, not the SV650.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Had my first race today. It was a weird supermoto track, an arena cross course had been built in the infield of a 1/4 mile paved oval. Some tires were set up to make a few chicanes and hairpin turns on the asphalt, and we used a little bit of the parking lot, but it was probably 70% dirt. I DNF'd every moto I ran (4) due to crashing -> dead battery, stalling-> dead battery, and leaving the petcock in the off position-> dead battery.

But I had a great time, did my first double in a rhythm section, and only highsided on the pavement once.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anything important that is overlooked by new track day riders?

Spoke tension, probably won't be an issue unless you've been jumping. Hit each spoke lightly with a small wrench, if it makes a dull sound you need to tighten it. Bring sunblock, snacks, lots of water, and a camping chair.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Also, don't ride like this guy does.

Oh Yeah, if you do that be sure to bring duct tape, extra handlebars, and vicodin.

*Pro-tip find out where the nearest hospital is before hand, you only have a few minutes of shock before you're in too much pain to drive. At that point you have to pony up for an ambulance ride.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Yikes, I remember reading somewhere that collarbones take like 8lbs of pressure to break. Hope they both recover soon.

How is it Zool can crash five times a day and keep riding? Seriously tell me, if there is some kinda yoga you do or something I wanna try it out.

You need to be able to relax your limbs when you crash, I practice by riding a mechanical bull, and I take a shot of makers just before I head out for a hot lap.

Also, top speed on the track I usually run is about 70mph, the fastest corner I take at maybe 45. So yeah, slow.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Photographer posted some pictures from my race on Sunday, none of me, but I thought this one was too awesome not to post

Zool fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 25, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

the DRZ was fun but I was constantly running out of RPM.

Find a kart track :D

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Triple post! :holymoley:

(is no one doing any trackdays or what?!?)...

You're on a 1000 right? It looks like you're shorting yourself 1-2000 rpms on your up shifts on the straights.

I've got Supermoto NW round 2 next weekend, I haven't ridden at a track since the last race though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
This is from my race last month.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Figured I'd drop this here too.

Sunday's Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzrT1EGRH4

Just a view of the track, I was in the earlier heat.

What exactly is this sort of race called? Endurocross? Hare Scramble?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had a sm race today that ended early with a pretty rough off. Half way through the first practice lap another rider lowsided as I was passing him on the outside.

I got on the front brake as he and his bike slid in front of me, his head had to have been less than a foot in front of my front tire as my rear tire came off the ground. With my options at endo, or run over a 12 year old boy I kept on the brake, launching myself over the bars. I flew through the air and executed a flawless jujitsu roll upon landing. Deftly breaking my left clavicle, and trapping myself beneath my motorcycle.

One way to look at it, is that I average 2 crashes per lap.
Since I won't be riding for a while I'll move over to TCC to post about my new prescription drug habit.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

What is the schedule for SM racing/practice at evergreen speedway? All I could find on google was supermotousa, which shows no more events at Evergreen. I called Evergreen and they didn't know what supermoto was...

They will probably run again during the fair, I don't know if evergreen has practice days. I think Spiffness was thinking of Kent/PGP. What a tard.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

loving amazing day at the track today. Videos to come when I get home tomorrow but oh so good. Had some big moments, battled it out, took down a S1000RR on a Motard with a 1/4th the horsepower (felt good!) and rode the wheels off the KTM.

Glorious.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Got out for a little supermoto practice session at PGP last week. It was the first time I've been out on an SM track since I broke myself this spring.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Zootlization#p/a/u/0/ABR6SBb-yLw
yep, I'm slow

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to AX practice with Spiffness yesterday. I'm not very good, but I made it out of there with only minor injuries. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d8RFlzYj_Q

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Post the supermoto'est track face you got

Your positioning is all off. You skipped the dirt section!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Spiffness is late to this party, but he's a huge poser.

*kickstand photoshoped out

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

You're running straight 60 oil :pwn:

Oh my, yeah... use 10w-50. Remember the lower the number the better the oil is for a cold start, the higher the number the better it works when it's hot. Single weight 60 is too thick until the engine is up to temp.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
FYI, I use castrol 10w-50 synthetic in mine. Ordering through SMJ was the cheapest I found it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

I'd like to give some Pirelli tires a try other than the OEM dragon supercorsas or whatever the hell came on my 690.

They're good tires (in the dry), but the bike comes with a sticker on the seat warning you not to use the OEM tires when it's wet out.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up a new track bike this weekend.
1992 RS125

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

How are the spares availability for the rs125?

http://www.rscycles.com/

Not great, most parts are available but expensive.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Soo, is sexy time at the go-kart track eligible for posting here or is this more of a thread for people going fast on "real" tracks? Just checking in advance, we don't start until May on account of all this white poo poo still outside.

Look at the first post, it's a kart track. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Derp. :downs:

Oh well, in my defence that track basically looks like a "real" track compared to the small one we have.

Track length 880 metres, long straight 166 m, 6 m wide.

Four groups:

Green, no passing. Relaxed pace.
Yellow, passing only on the long straight. A little faster than green.
Blue, passing on all straights. Quite a bit faster than yellow.
Red, passing everywhere except turn entries. Fast.
At our local kart track the groups were rentals, shifters, and supermoto's. The passing rules were...try not to take anyone out.

Due to legal issues the current groups are rentals, rentals, and rentals :(

• Locked thread