Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Aww what happened? :(

They got caught up in the legal battle over the big track expanding, and apparently got caught without all the permits needed to run anything other than rental karts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What class could you evenrun a late-model 750 in with that much work done to it in?

750 Super bike

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I measured the sag on the RS125 last night... and today I started a weight loss program. They don't make stiff enough springs for my fat rear end.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Specifically, turn 6, the long lefthander, I need to figure out a better line. It feels long enough to double apex.

This guy knows what he's doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fORI5y_PuM&t=4m54s

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

So I'm talking to a local racer about a ninja 250 project. $300 for a first gen that needs a neharness. The plan would be to build a race bike for the next season. Just a thought right now, but I'm interested.
I've seen your wiring work, I don't think you have the competence in this area to do the job right. ;)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Are you referring to the hand twisted car stereo input?

Yeah,
Zool: *See's extremely shoddy wiring in Gullous's car
Zool: What do you do for a living again?
Gullous: I do wiring design for (major commercial airline manufacturer).
Zool: Yeah...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

That reminds me, I saw this checklist on the local racer forum:
Don't forget the key.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

anchorite posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll be driving down the night before, so it's good to hear that I can get set up in advance.

Here's another checklist I found on the local riding forum.

Some of that stuff is a little weird.
If you need a sawzall (with extra blades) just pack up and go home, you are having a lovely track day.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

The first trackday at the Ridge ran a new racer school and they were red flagging every session. Here is video I found from one session (2 wrecks):

Mudding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=554s
I know the guy who went off here. He said his rear sunk 3' into the mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=755s
A group rules with C group skills

Watching that video... I thought they were running A group? That looks D group.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

This is Washington, it was a forest before the track got there. The trees are, very out of the way. The racetrack isn't actually finished. I know more walls, air walls, and other such things are going to happen this summer, as well as facilities and doing a final paving of the track.

Compared to the other track we have in western Wa (Pacific Raceways) this is like racing on clouds. PR has run off areas that give you about 10 feet before it's just cedar trees

It's not quite that bad... more like 4 feet to a steep rocky slope that goes down to cedar trees. Actually that might be worse.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I signed up for the May 5th & 6th trackdays at Ridge, and picked up 5 gallons of 110 octane for the RS. I'll be bringing the KTM or Husky along as well, the RS may not handle too well with my weight.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Husky through the corkscrew would be amazing! What does it top out at? I hope to have my 690 there, too.

I'm not exactly sure, around 100 I think.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

That's what it feels like when I hang off the ninja. :v:

I got some info about OVRP racetrack (since my local one is closed now) and they run qualifying runs in the morning instead of heats. This is for supermoto. Does this mean if I suck I'm going home early? I really wish there were just simple practice days but that seems to be a rarity for sumo around here.

Probably just determines your position on the starting grid.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Bazacko, Gullous, Spiffness and I were at Ridge Saturday and Sunday. Great times, I got a chance to take the RS out for the first time, Gullous was asked to move to A group, the new front end on Spiffness's SV was awesome, and Bazacko lowsided my KTM. :argh: (no real damage to either of them though)

The RS was very hard to ride, we raised the seat 2 inches with shop towels and duct tape so I could move my legs, the close ratio transmission combined with no power below 9k rpm was a real challenge for me coming off of the KTM.

I overheated the rear brake a couple times because I was unintentionally riding it. Then I lost a bolt and spacer on the rear set and rode the KTM for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unc0B4sgAIo&list=UUmvv0_JU1jo1o00ia48Lm6w&index=1&feature=plcp

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Resource posted:

I really like these videos with just the sound of the engine and a first person view camera for full laps. Plus I feel like I'm learning the track just watching all of these videos of it.

Is the amount of shaking of the windscreen/front fairing due to wind or is the bike chattering or something?

The fairing mounts can slide around a little bit, so it shakes like crazy.

Spiffness posted:

Hey, you missed the whole gang!

Didn't know there was another gooner out there. What group where you riding in and what were you on?
He was there Friday.

Zool fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I hopped on Spiffness's bike for one session and made a respectable 2:11. His fastest was a 2:06. The GSXR front end with monoblock calipers feels terrific.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-O_x8pRSw&feature=g-user-u

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I got measured at 96dB last time at the track, going all out in third gear down the finishing straight. Bikes (DRZ) got a full Yoshi stainless with the silencer insert. Now I've looked it up and the insert is actually rated to 96dB so no complaints there, and the track is rated for 100dB, but for some hosed up reason (whiny old lady living three km away) they "inform" every motard that goes over 95dB because according to the tracks permission motards are in fact not allowed after 9pm (this was after 9pm). Yes, that is how it is written. Doesn't matter if you have a DRZ or a SXV, stock or full race exhaust. Motard = not allowed after 9pm. Why do I get the feeling that whoever wrote that permission don't know too much about bikes?

Any suggestions that don't involve putting the stock exhaust back on?

What does getting below 95dB get you? Will they let you out after 9 even though they aren't supposed too?

But yeah, repack the silencer, put rtv in any joints in the pipe. Maybe put in a restrictor.

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 9, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
What's the rear wheel width on your crf? I've got a 4.5" on the husky, and I'm thinking of going back to a 150 (conti sm attack)rear, the edge of the 160 maxxis slicks are unusable. Same thing with the sv and the power one 160.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Try pulling the valve core then inflating it. You need an inflator that works by a handle, like this. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915660000P?mv=rr

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Scarred the poo poo out of coworker but that's ok.

That's horrible, is he going to get reconstructive surgery?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Here's a battle between some of the point leaders in the local club. It's an entertaining battle but one dude definitely has more power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRLM5tK6ZA

Man, Pacific really could use a new surface. Klemmer must be sitting on a grenade to pull another 600 superbike like he does at the end.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Apparently they're working on upgrading the track:
Working on getting regulatory approval.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Another day at "The Ridge". Spiffness is on the black and yellow SV I catch up to at 3:40 in my video, 1:50 in his.

Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lno-x4sr2bg

Spiff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQM_CkAOdc

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

I also put this together, showing a year of progress on our local track. Main video is one of my laps below, PIP video is fastest lap from my first track day this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUUmkvvw_Q

The editing is terrible, mostly because I don't have a good editing suite and I lack the technical skills or time, but the point comes across. Lots of progress.
Big difference.
The related videos at the end are all bodybuilding and weight loss progress.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Dunlop's tech info site is pretty good, with pressure recommendations for each compound, and wheel size ranges for each tire. http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/ Note what they have to say about heat cycling.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

Here we go...

It's February, it's just going to be cold and rainy all day. :colbert:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

cheap tracktime

Good luck with that! :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had my first trackday of the year today. 6 months of not riding on the track leaves me pretty rusty, by the end of the day I was able to turn a 2:08, 6 seconds off of my best time last year. But not bad considering my first track day last year I was probably in the 2:20s. My R6 had some issues, and I didn't end up running it for more than half a session. I turned a few laps on Spiffness's GSXR600. Soooo much power! It seems silly to say that about a 600, but I'm accustomed to keeping the throttle pinned on 60hp track bikes, you start doing that with 45 more ponies and braking zones come up pretty loving fast.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm running GPs on my R6, I'm happy with them so far, I haven't really gotten up to pace yet this year though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Went to another track day at Ridge yesterday with Spiffness. Aaaand the R6 decided that it doesn't like to downshift anymore. I would hit false neutrals every couple downshifts, not so fun entering turn 1 at 100+ while making an inside pass. I didn't figure out if only happens in certain gear changes, maybe I'll test that out tonight. I'm guessing I bent the shift forks, I'm not really sure what else could cause it, the linkage is fine. A broken bike is better than my last track day, when I highsided the RS125 at 70mph.

I ended up riding Spiffness's bike in B group and turned my fastest ever laps. 1:56.**, I'm sure I'll be on the track record 1:36 pace in no time. GP shift wasn't super easy for me to get used to, I shifted in the wrong direction a couple times, but managed not to blow it up.

Oh yeah, and using a quickshifter is awesome.

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 17, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
One lap at ridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EQIdjj-kQ

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

epalm posted:

What is that spilling onto the ground near your rear tire?

That? I wouldn't worry about that.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

IIT: Post the most gettinest' pics you haven't paid for

I really dwarf that R6.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I test rode an S1000RR at Pacific Raceways today. So much power, I pulled on a GSXR 1000 down the straight, much more than I expected. I didn't notice the traction control, but I didn't ride it that hard as I didn't want to end up buying the thing. The anti-wheelie was pretty obtrusive, it would let you loft the wheel for a second, then abruptly cut power. The lovely pavement, insane power, and bike sprung for a 240lb rider led me to nearly being chucked off the bike as I pulled on to the front straight. Did I mention the power? It had a bunch of that.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

All of them.

Don't the new GSXR's have Brembo masters? Or is it just the calipers?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Ride crossed up erryday!

That's a nice looking wheelie, even if you're not supposed to do it :)

Proof... that I'm Doohan fan.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

So the first time back on the track since my crash, and it was terrible. I've basically got no confidence in the bike, the tires, or my riding ability. I was extremely slow, even for B group. Every session was all stress and no fun. I left a couple sessions early cause I didn't want to push my luck and crash cause I couldn't focus on anything but whether or not my tires were slipping.

Any pointers on fixing where my head is at?

Don't try to go fast, just try to be smooth and eventually speed and confidence will come. And if you're not feeling comfortable out there, sitting out is the right thing to do.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

In retrospect, it's not a sharp enough corner to really be in ATTACK position

All corners are sharp if you have enough speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Keep the SV till those people don't hold you up in the corners anymore because you pass so well and carry corner speed. Then get the 600. You'll thank me later.

Also you'll get comfortable with keeping the throttle pinned, which is much harder to do on a 600.

• Locked thread