Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

A couple laps from arenacross practice. http://vimeo.com/8143793

I could only do 3 or 4 laps at a time because it was so tiring, but oh what fun.

I couldn't quite tell but are you running sumo tires? How does that perform on an all dirt track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I can't offer much in the way of advice (track newb...) but... looking pretty good man :). How was it running that fast in those temps, comfortwise? Perfed leathers? Also, what are you using to edit your videos and how did you get the timer in there? I recently picked up a GoProHD and am looking for some editing software.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
So I'm getting ready to order some stands... At this point it's just to keep the tires off the EXTREMELY COLD ground (fuckin -17F this morning) and for maintenance on the bike, no plans for tire warmers or anything yet. PitBull stuff is highly regarded but jesus gently caress it's more than double the price of, say, the T-Rex stands.

Anyone have the T-Rex stuff or have experience with it? From what I've been reading it seems they're just fine. I have a hard time thinking PitBull stands are really worth twice the dough.The forward pull rear stand they make seems to be a smart design though, of course it's even *more* expensive! You can get a full T-Rex setup, including spools and shipping, for less than 10 bucks over what that forward pull rear stand costs ALONE. ...is it worth it?

Help me spend money, CA!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
If anyone is in the Mid Central region you better loving consider this trackday :colbert:

http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/TrackDetails.aspx?id=14

Two days at Autobahn north (Joliet, IL) AND a set of Pilot Powers for $409? Sign me the gently caress up! (actually I'm calling later today to GET signed up... this will probably fill up soon so you should too!)

Chicago area goon meet?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I'm in. Signed up for both days and went with the tire package deal :parrot:

Is it April yet?

Edit: I'll be riding in Novice and will have video, so we'll see Tsaven wringing his Wee out in a neon yellow suit :v:

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I'm now pretty much ready to go for the season. That... hurt :smithicide:

Ordered a back and chest protector, Woodcraft frame sliders, Pitbull front and rear stands and spools. Pretty much all I have left is a hitch for the car, and picking up the small trailer I already have lined up. Anything else I really need? I'm thinking about getting a little awning to put up for shade but fortunately those are pretty cheap.

Oh. And paying for more track time. And more tires.

Jesus gently caress this hobby is expensive :(

but oh so fun

Is it April yet?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

You know, I think I have a few things like this, possibly something big enough that we could comfortably get a few bikes + stuff under. You just wanna pit together and pool resources? I'll probably be tent camping it there overnight if it's allowed.

Any other goons coming to the STT even Apr 24-25 in Joliet, IL? Looks like they've still got slots in all categories, only $110 per day!

Sounds good to me. I know I have at least one person headed over with me and a decent chance of another. Pretty sure Autobahn allows camping, although we might wuss out and get a room somewhere. I'm not sure on that front.

lokiegoesrawr posted:

I got a cheap $35 canopy for one of my track days, and after struggling with it constantly, ended up trashing it out of frustration in the evening. It was a rainy and slightly windy day, and after every run session we came back to a completely collapsed camp.

Spent the ~90 for the EZ-Up/Firstup canopy with the folding frame that everyone seems to use. Been happy with that one.

Bringing random spares like levers seems to be helpful. Make sure to include a hammer, Gorilla tape (so much better than regular duct tape), and zip-ties in your tool box.

I can't think of much else than my upcoming trackdays in 2 and 4 weeks. After obsessively watching youtube videos, I just bought a month subscription to iRacing to learn Barber Motorsports Park. It seems like half the turns are completely blind.

Thanks for the tips :)

What track other than Barber are you hitting? If I get a REALLY wild hair up my rear end I might consider a weekend at Barber sometime this year. I'd love to ride that track as well as the museum. It's *only* a tad over 900 miles. That's not too bad, right?

In other related news I called up Ducati of Omaha, who runs the vast majority of trackdays at Mid America Motorplex just south of Council Bluffs, IA to get a little info. Turns out they have a neat little deal that I will very likely be taking advantage of... "MotoMondays" :). Track opens up at noon, riding starts at 2:15 and runs till 7pm in an open format all for 125 bucks. I definitely want to get a few (and more is better...) days under my belt before doing something like this, but drat. That track is less than 2hrs from my office. Prep and load everything up on the weekend, get to work a bit early and take a half day to go flog a bike on track? YES PLEASE.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Oakey posted:

Ok, needknees posting about me going to a trackday in the goon rides thread pushed me to actually post this. I've been thinking about doing track days this year, but I have a couple of things that hopefully someone can help me out with.

Haha, yessssssssss. Bad influence! :smug:

If you're interested in that trackday (and you should be, because it's a loving great price for track time) you better see if there's spots available. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it fills up, if it's not filled up already.

http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz//TrackDetails.aspx?id=14

They've got a special going on tires too -- One day at the track and a set of Pilot Powers for 300 bucks, or the full weekend for 409... or skip the tires, and the days are 110/ea.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Someone talk me out of paying too much to go to a trackday at MidAmerica next weekend. Please. My resistance is waning :smithicide:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnaghi posted:

Don't pay too much to go a trackday at MidAmerica. Sure, it will be awesome fun, but there are more important things in this world than fun. For example, saving for retirement and filling out your census form.

It's not terrible but it's not a great deal. Instead of having a novice division that includes a fair amount of instruction for newer track riders they make you take their "school" that's an additional 50 bucks over the cost of the trackday. I don't know how much more instruction you get over say, a STT or NESBA day but if it's really more of a school instead of an informative novice trackday it's probably worth it. Don't personally know of anyone who has gone through it, though :(.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

It is really more of a school. They have both classroom instruction and some laps where you are followed/led by instructors.

At that's what it looked like when I saw it, haven't been through it yet myself :)

TrackAddix novice school (which I'd be going to if I went to MAM) or are you talking STT and NESBA? I think NESBA does some days at MidAmerica Motorplex but I don't think they have anything scheduled there this year yet :(.

I did just find out NESBA is at Blackhawk the same day. Little bit longer of a drive but still not bad, and even with NESBA's memership fee it'd come in about the same price as MidAmerica...

Choices choices.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

I'm speaking of the TrackAddix school

Cool. I signed up with them today, going to do their school this weekend :woop:

Also, picked up a trailer. CHECK OUT MY TRACKDAY RIG

I couldn't get less torque in that photo if I tried. And guess which vehicle makes more power...

:smug:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

It's not the pulling it that is the concern; most anything can pull a trailer. The part of the equation you need to factor in is the braking capability of the tow vehicle.

I'm not too worried about towing with my car. I drag a (significantly bigger, heavier, hauling WAY more weight) trailer around with my ancient truck constantly and fully realize that whatever I'm towing with isn't going to react the same way as it does unloaded. And realistically, the difference between a standard Civic and my Si is drat near a "tow package" in my eyes... Manual transmission with closer gear ratios and a shorter final gear, much stiffer suspension, beefier tires, WAY better brakes... Honestly I was shocked how little the back end of the car squatted when I loaded the bike on there. It's only down .5-.75". I need to play around with the positioning of the chock to get weight distribution right, it's too far forward right now.

That little trailer is built like a brick shithouse too. Longer neck so it reduces tongue weight, WAY wider track and tires than most small trailers. I'm very impressed with it so far.

lancemantis if you're looking at MAM you're somewhere in the area... still time to get signed up for this weekend! You've got until midnight tonight at the pre-register price, and if you call you might be able to get it tomorrow too.

Edit: frozenphil I've got pretty decent disc brakes all around, and all four corners have pretty fresh pads. The Si has significantly better brakes than a standard Civic.

Honestly it seems people think they need WAY more tow vehicle than they actually do around here. I see people pulling fairly lightweight single axle trailers behind freakin one ton trucks all the time and it blows my mind.

needknees fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Since this is my first trackday ever this saturday someone tell me what poo poo I'm forgetting:

Bike (duh)
bike key
leathers
helmet
gloves
boots
back protector
ear plugs
common tools
stands
extra gas
lots of water
food

Any advise other than "don't wad your poo poo"?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A chair, some electrolyte powder or tablets, gaff and electrical tape, zip ties, a spare pair or two of socks, a towel and sunscreen. With the food, take lots of small things and snack during the day, rather than just having something big for lunch. Apples, bananas and museli bars are best.

lokigoesrawr posted:

I wish I had Under Armor or at least a dozen clean t-shirts and socks this past weekend. So retardedly sweaty.

If they have electric hookups, fans and/or heaters have been useful. Chairs and a canopy if you have one.

If you're running video, make sure you have something to dump the video on or extra memory cards. If they don't have electricity, a usb car charger works well. My gopro hd usually does just shy of a day on a full charge.

See I'm glad I asked :).

I've got chairs but probably wouldn't have remembered them. Don't have a canopy yet, I'm going to have to look into one of those. Shade is good. I pretty much always wear underarmor stuff under leathers so that's always with them. Extra socks are a great idea.

I'm not sure if the place has electric or not (they probably do) but I'll be bringing my laptop with to unload my gopro's card. Luckily my phone, still camera, and gopro all use the same plug and will charge off of my phone's car charger :toot:. The laptop should have enough juice to last what little I'll be using it during the day, or I'm sure I can plug it in somewhere for a little bit if not.

Thanks for the help, everyone! ...is it saturday yet???

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lokigoesrawr posted:

oh oh and know which fuses to pull for headlight and tail/brake lights so you don't have to deal with melted tape residue later

Planning to do that the night before. This track (like most) requires you to remove the license plate and tape/remove any mirrors and lights. My rear turn signals and plate are all on one easy to remove bracket so that's no biggie. I'm going to have to unplug the headlight bulbs instead of pulling the fuse though, since the fuse ties the headlights to the ignition. Front turn signals are integrated into the mirrors and they're coming off as well.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
At the track now, just ate some lunch. HOLY loving poo poo this is fun! Had a cr behind me for a good chunk of our last session, got some good feedback from him. Apparentlyu form is halfway decent but my line choice sucks, heh.

This.

poo poo.

Rocks.

:hellyeah:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lokigoesrawr posted:

I'm so jealous! Happy for ya. Keep hydrated and have fun out there. Try to use the whole track and establish some reference points for turn-ins (and braking, etc. when you find a little more consistency).

You're on for both days, right? The subsequent days are even better since you have a much better bearing of the track. Are you camping in the paddock?

Luckily(?!?) the track's surface is filled with reference points due to it being kinda lovely. There's patches and spots all over, plus a lot of poo poo to reference on the side of the track. They also put out cones at some turn in, apex, and exit points in the trickier sections of track.

I only did yesterday -- This whole thing was kind of a spur of the moment type deal. I registered on tuesday for track time on Saturday :downs:. I've got another weekend coming up at the end of the month at Autobahn south though... I just couldn't wait. Additionally, the school I took enables me to do TrackAddix's MotoMondays, which is some pretty goddamn cheap track time. I'm actually glad I didn't do both days, I woke up this morning and my legs were like "what the gently caress did you do to yourself" :)

lancemantis posted:

This could of been you

Except it wasn't haha :)

It could have been me too, if I had the necessary equipment :(

Was that you who rolled up on the red CBR600? What equipment are you lacking? You don't need to go all fancy and have a track bike, stands, tire warmers, trailer, etc... your bike will be fine with very minimal prep you can do at the track, and you can probably get pants that attach to your jacket that would be legal. Hell, there was a dude who rolled in on a ZX14 complete with hardbags. He took those off, taped his poo poo, and was ready to go. He rode with us in the novice group (and passed me once :() and did pretty drat well. If that's not a testament to being able to track a bike without some elaborate setup I don't know what is.

Anyway, story time!

I decided to get the bike ready and pack everything up the night before, then wake up and drive over to MAM in the morning rather than camping out. I'm glad I did that because it took me a lot longer to wrangle everything up than I expected -- I wouldn't have gotten there until after midnight.

When I got everything taped up I noticed something... The CBR's headlights are shaped like bat wings.

Quick, run away! There's some strange creature in my rearview mirror! :spooky:

"N" is for NEWB.

The little Civic that could:

I was very impressed with how my car hauled the bike. Interstate speeds were no issue at all, no strange handling, no issues braking, no excessive squatting of the suspension... Very pleased. I got a lot of strange looks as I went down the road though, apparently people aren't used to seeing a little hatchback towing a trailer :v:.

Arrived at MAM with plenty of time to register and set up my pit. Since I was doing the school we met in the classroom for about an hour in the morning while other groups were attending the normal rider's meeting and out for their first (forty minute!) session. We covered basic stuff about the track like entering and exiting, what all the flags mean, etc. We then went out for our first session to learn the track layout. Here's the track map:

There were only 6 people in the school and three others in the novice class and we had three CRs... lots of watchful eyes. Our first session we split into groups behind the CRs and did laps with the students alternating being behind the CR to get an idea of a decent line around the track. Even though we were just putzing around it was exciting to actually be on a racetrack!

Second session was similar, except we took turns IN FRONT of our CR so they could watch our lines. This was pretty fun, and we got a lot more feedback after this session.

Third session was pretty much free game. I've got video of this session uploading (very slowly) now. TrackAddix has different regulations than the other groups that operate in the area. Even in Novice they're pretty loose on passing -- basically, they prefer passing to be done in the straights but if you can very safely pass in a corner they don't really care. Since there were so few people on the track this wasn't an issue, I generally passed one or two people a session, and the CRs were kinda floating around and would whip around me every once in awhile. Other than the CRs I was passed by the ZX14 dude once and one other person, so hopefully I wasn't holding people up :ohdear:

Of course, my memory card ended up getting full on the 5th session, and that's the one I really wanted to go back and watch. One of the CRs worked with me for a huge chunk of the session and it really helped out. He stopped me at the hot pits and talked with me for awhile after we were done -- He'd been behind me for a few laps and noticed I was really botching corner entrance on 5-6, and was way overbraking on 1 (which doesn't surprise me because a fairly tight turn after a bigass straight is scary :( ). My issue with 5-6 was a late turn in -- I think a lot of this came from the lovely seam throughout the entire track that's very noticeable in these turns. It knocks you around quite a bit (even though it really doesn't mess with your line) but I got it in my head I needed to square that corner off more so I didn't spend as much time on the seam, which put me in a bad position to take advantage of 6's increasing radius. Something to work on next time for sure. In this conversation the CR said I looked to be "in control, with good form". He also asked a couple times "is this seriously your first trackday?" which made me pretty :smug:

Throughout the entire day I only had two pucker moments, which given my fairly sedate pace doesn't surprise me much. One was after my overly early braking coming into turn 1, where I apexed too early and got on the paint/rumble strip, which was pretty freakin slick and my rear end end skipped out to the track. The other was when I came into the turn 9 chicane too hot, got on the brakes a little hard and picked the rear up a bit, stared at the dirt for a little bit then thought to myself "self, what the gently caress are you doing you can make this poo poo" and managed to tear my eyes away from the runoff and very crappily made my way through the corner. Of course, and I was unaware at the time, the organizer of the event / CR had been behind me for a lap or two and saw this go down. He found me after the session was over and talked what happened, and complimented me on the save :v:. Target fixation is a bitch. It seemed like an eternity when I was looking at the dirt, in reality it was only a fraction of a second, but that fraction of a second (and my lack of skill) nearly hosed me over. The guy gave me a ton of good info about entering/exiting the chicane though, and I kicked its rear end the next session out. One trip through there literally had me yelling "gently caress yeah!" in my helmet, which I thought was pretty funny.

Of course, I forgot my cable to dump my GoPro's video onto my laptop throughout the day so it got full and I missed the last couple sessions. I was happy that was the only thing I did forget though, I usually end up leaving something important behind every time I go somewhere.

Here's my tires at the end of the day. I finally got rid of the horrible flat spot down the center that comes from street riding in Iowa!

Left side of rear:

Right side of rear:

Right side front:

...Can you tell MAM is a counterclockwise oriented track? This brings me to another couple questions. Those are the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers. They seemed to grip just fine to me but I wasn't running a very quick pace. I ended up running ~30psi in the front and was going to run 31psi in the rear, but a CR dropped it down to 28 or so. What kind of pressures should I be running? Does that tire wear look normal?

One other thing I did notice was how much the lever travel of my front brake changed throughout each session. On the street I normally run the adjuster around the middle of the range at number 3. I had to bump it out to the furthest setting away to keep it from smashing my knuckles at the end of the session. I asked one of the CRs (who was riding his new CBR1000... :D ) and he said one of the first thing he does to any bike is throw a set of braided steel brake lines on the front. After feeling what the stock rubber lines did on a fairly mild day, I think that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Sorry for the huge :words: post, but that trackday was honestly one of the most exhilarating things I've done in my life. I CANNOT wait for the end of the month when I'm going out again!

edit: Here's the turn 9 fuckup I was talking about. Watching the video it doesn't look that bad at all, but it was a moderately pantsleathers-making GBS threads experience for me :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wLQA_oLnRc

needknees fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 12, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

It was the orange one parked near the Duke/spotty CBR1000RR later in the day.

I had just put on the sliders/engine covers finally that morning actually :shobon: I kind of want a trailer still just so I can get my bike home should something bad happen, or if I'm just tired :ohdear: I should have such facilities available later this year (too late for this season, but ready for next). Plus then I could go to Hastings and such.

The only thing I really need is a different getup since I don't have a 360* zipper. I've been needing new pants/jacket anyway since my current stuff doesn't really fit properly anymore so I've been thinking of getting a 2 piece so I could use it for that and my regular street riding. I guess I could try having them order something in and guestimate my sizing.

A trailer is nice for sure. I know I wouldn't have wanted to ride 2.5hrs after being at the track all day, but if I was less than a half hour away I might consider it. I definitely was beat at the end of the day though.

And now... Video of me being slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xKb5ZcsA0

edit - any critiques (other than go faster, because I already know I need to do that :( ) would be appreciated.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
It looks like it might rain next weekend for my second time on the track ever :(. I still plan on riding regardless of weather, but I'm wondering what people do about the rain, gear-wise. Is it worth getting something like this:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5545

to hopefully keep yourself slightly dry? Just ride in your leathers and get soaked? Other alternatives?

We're still 10 days away and in the midwest, so it very likely could change but who knows :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My suit is perforated :(. I've ridden in the rain in my Dainese two piece suit a number of times and it wasn't terrible, but like Z3n mentioned they get awfully heavy. That suit is solid leather too, so I more or less stayed dry.

I agree, that suit is insanely expensive for what basically amounts to a giant condom :v:. I need to look around some more but in a quick search I haven't found much that looks like it would actually hold up to decent speeds without flapping all over the place, potentially destroying itself in the process. I guess I could duct tape a lesser suit down or something.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

[vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/vader]

I know man :smithicide:. It is the midwest though, so who the gently caress knows what's going to happen this far out. Already in under 12hrs they've moved it back to thursday and friday, with a chance slight chance on saturday and clear sunday. Riding in the rain at the track certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer a weekend of semi-decent weather...

Ok, another video for you guys to pick apart! It's about a lap and a half out of the 5th session shot from the rear of the bike. The tailsection is so flimsy there's a lot of camera shudder, but it's still watchable.

Behold! My leather-clad rear end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnksH4Z_X8

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Shaping up to be pretty lovely for the weekend at Autobahn. Heavy rain and thunderstorms bascially non-stop from Friday afternoon through Monday :(

Yeah, not too pleased :suicide:

It *SOUNDS* like Saturday morning might be decent. Rain is supposed to roll through here (Des Moines area) around noon on Saturday so that would put it at Joliet pretty drat late in the day. So it's likely with the rain they're supposed to get on friday we're going to have a wet track and fog in the morning, but maybe maybe it'll dry out at some point.

Sunday, well... :smith:

Edit - Any tips for track riding in the rain? I'm a bit concerned, went through a bit of rain last night with the new pilot powers and they were interesting at best. It seemed like the Qualifiers handled water better, maybe. Not only is it going to be raining, it's not going to be very warm on sunday either. Temps in the low to mid 50s.

needknees fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 22, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Also supermoto.

Sucks to hear about people crashing, but that's why you take it slow at wet trackdays.

Need to get to an actual computer but here are a few observations. My buddy is doing ok. Sore, but more or less fine (other than the broke collarbone... ) . I honestly could mot belive the amount of crashes today. There were not many sessions, in any group,that were clean with no wrecks. It was nuts. Still had enough fun though.

More id am update tomorrow.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

schreibs posted:

I went to a track day in November at NJMP, 16 red flags. Cold track, rained the night before, cold day, 2 CR's and one in the A group went down.

The biggest crash of the yesterday happened in A group -- looked like someone took another rider out. Two bikes wrecked, one guy transported to the hospital in the ambulance. They had the track closed down (and our group waiting in the hot pits) for quite some time while they waited for another ambulance to arrive so the track was covered.

Due to the ultra-lovely weather that was forecast, and the fact my friend was busted up pretty bad we decided to head back last night, and I determined it wasn't worth adding another 6 hours onto my trip to go back just to ride in thunderstorms today. I'm glad I did even though I took a hit on the track time, to be honest.

I'll be working on a more throughout writeup including pics and video later on, but here are a few pics from the track photographer. Kinda sucks, all of these are from the morning sessions when the track was still in spotty shape

Our CR in the front, me just behind her, my buddy before he highsided into oblivion, and Tsaven Nava's neon yellow suit visible behind him:

So serious

Things finally started to dry out after lunch

needknees fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
It's still processing but here's TsavenNava's trip through the grass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaJgfkjJOhM

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

aventari posted:

How do you like the JR Honda leathers? I assume they're the ones from Newenough. I have the Kawi ones (almost identical) I've been using for a couple years and I love them. The stock plastic pucks are pretty soft though. I've only done 5 or so track days total and they wore out quickly. I upgraded to ceramic ones--I recommend it.
http://www.newenough.com/street/armor/knee_sliders_pucks/joe_rocket/speedmaster_motorcycle_knee_sliders.html

They're pretty nice! It was by far the best deal on a decent set of leathers I could find, and the ones I got fit me drat near perfectly. They were tight at first when I put my back and chest protectors in but now that they've had a chance to break in a little bit the fit is great. Seem to be relatively well made too. I would worry about the knee pucks wearing out... if I could drag my knee :smith:. Still not carrying enough corner speed!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Don't mean to double post, but I came across some pictures someone else took at Autobahn on the STT forum:

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=7384

Also feeding the demon again soon... headed over to MAM on the 3rd for their MotoMonday! 5 hours of open lapping... should be interesting to be out there with the fast guys :ohdear:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Triple post! :holymoley:

(is no one doing any trackdays or what?!?)

I did another one this past monday at MAM. It was a neat format that seemed to work very well -- open session after the track goes green, straight through to the end of the day. You can come and go as you please, and it you're not pressured to OHMYGODGOFASTONLYHAVE20MINUTES. I was a bit concerned going into it because there's some seriously fast riders out there, but there were few enough people on track at any given time it wasn't really an issue, and the few times I was passed they're gone so fast it didn't matter. I'm getting more comfortable being passed and passing because of this.

I managed to knock a whopping 10 seconds off my previous times at this track :aaa:. Just goes to show how loving slow I was going before. I'm carrying a lot more corner speed and actually getting the bike in its powerband every now and again. I still brake way too much though, I would often find myself coasting, or even adding throttle, to MAKE IT to a turn :downs:. Just need more time at the track!

Here's some videos:

Forward view (might still be processing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwkgz5JBt4

ASSCAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3q73U7Fbs

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Holy poo poo new posts :v:

lokiegoesrawr posted:

I almost signed up for a open track format at VIR a couple months ago, but pussied out due to logistics (though traffic anxiety was among my lame excuses). Duly noted and I'll try to do one of those if I get a chance. How much total track time did you end up running and how did you pace yourself?

I actually ended up getting *less* track time but I'm ok with it. The bigass thunderstorm that rolled through with a little over two hours to go in the day didn't help things. I found myself going out for 12-15min sessions; just cruising the first couple laps, turning up the pace a bit for a few, then pitting at the first signs of being tired (I am horribly out of shape, apparently :( )

Zool posted:

You're on a 1000 right? It looks like you're shorting yourself 1-2000 rpms on your up shifts on the straights.

I've got Supermoto NW round 2 next weekend, I haven't ridden at a track since the last race though.

Yep, I'm the retard track newbie on a literbike :haw:. Not sure which video you're referring to, but at ~2:12 in the forward view one there was a rider going really slow on the front straight for some reason, so I wasn't fully caning it because I didn't know what he was going to do or if there was debris or something.

Otherwise, I found myself shifting around 12-12.5k. There's not much point in running it higher than that other than if you're saving a shift somewhere (another thing I need to work on, I have a tendency to shift too much) because my power peaks at 12k and torque peaks just short of 10k. Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

I have 2 within an hour (Talladega GP and Barber Motorsports Park) and another 3 hours away (Road Atlanta) but I have no money. It's far worse to have world class tracks near you but no money to go use them. :(

I'd rather have them close and no money than super loving far away :(.

I really want to ride Barber but it's 900 miles away. I'd also love to hit Road America, but it's 8hrs away. I have a lot of tracks "near" me but the closest is 2.5hrs and most are 5+.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Double postin up in this bitch. Again :v:

I figured this would be a better thread to ask in than the tire thread. For some reason I'm thinking about upgrading to actual track type tires. I come seeking the great wisdom of CA on this potential move...

As a bit of background for those who can't be bothered to scroll up a little bit in this thread, I am a fairly new trackday convert. I've currently got a whopping three(!) trackdays under my belt, but I'm getting *much* more comfortable carrying corner speed and actually getting on the gas on corner exits. I still lack confidence in braking and corner entry though. After my last trackday I'm now turning fairly consistent mid Intermediate level times at the place I have the most laps in at :smug:. This is on a basically stock CBR1000RR (I know, far too much bike but jesus gently caress is it fun) save for proper suspension setup and protective bits, on standard Pilot Power tires.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it would really be worth it for me to go to a true trackday tire. The TrackDayStore has a loving BITCHIN deal on what is apparently a great tire, the Dunlop D209GPA. TWO Rears and one front for $329.

There's a few things that bother me about going to a tire like that.

1: Tire life. I have a feeling I'd only be getting two days out of a rear and maybe 3-4 out of the front. A literbike is not easy on tires, as I've found out with even street tires. Nothing like making an already expensive hobby more expensive. To add to the expense I really should run tire warmers with this type of tire. Sportbike Track Gear has STG branded warmers made by Chicken Hawk for $275 though so it's not too horrible.

2: Seeing as I don't have an extra set of wheels (yet) and honda thinks they're made of loving gold, I'm going to have to get the tires swapped over before/after every track event. It's not a HUGE deal since there's a shop pretty close to me that will mount and balance a tire for freakin 7 bucks a wheel, but it is an added annoyance seeing as they're ~25 minutes away. Every other shop in the area is around 25-30/wheel off the bike, so it's a no brainer to drive a little further and get both wheels done for about half the price of one... But, realistically how many times can a tire be spooned off and on before the bead starts giving out? I'm a little worried about my street tires.

3: Tire life. ~300 miles out of a rear tire??? :smithicide:

4: I know my good 'ol Pilot powers have more to give. I've been running them hard but I know there's more left. I think I need to play with pressures more, I'm not quite getting the pressure increase I should be seeing. I'm getting ~3psi in the front and 4psi in the rear... I think my gauge is a bit off and I'm actually running higher pressures than I should :(. Wear is pretty great though.

Any thoughts?

Edit: chirst that was a long post whining about tires.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I have been barking up this tree for like 3 months now. He just doesn't listen. :v:

And yeah, I agree that slower bikes are more fun, within reason.

I know, I'm retarded. :saddowns:

Honestly if I'm discerning some "reason" through all of the other voices up there, here's what's going through my head at the moment. I'm well aware a less powerful bike would be a better learning tool... but I'm waiting in the weeds to snag what I think is a great deal. It very well may be at the end of the season or over the winter when people are dumping poo poo cheap. I know that doesn't help the here and now but it's definitely on my short list. I'm still kicking myself for passing on an AMAZING deal I stumbled across last winter, but that was before i was sure I really wanted to get involved in the whole trackday thing. I knew I wanted to try it, but that would have been a pretty big commitment without ever touching tire to track.

Besides, I'm having a loving BLAST on the CBR as it is, and making (what I feel to be) great strides in my riding abilities. No doubt a less powerful bike would get me there faster but it's great actually getting the CBR in the environment it's designed for.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I finally got some decent track rubber on the way. Ordered those Dunlop 209GPAs the trackdaystore was running on special that I mentioned earlier -- two rears and a front for $329. Except it wasn't 329 because they charged loving 46 bucks for shipping :saddowns:. It's still a good price on the tires but that kinda irritates me.

I'm going to give them a shot without warmers at first due to the responses here. If they show up before the weekend I'll get them mounted and go to Autobahn with STT. If not, I'll have to wait till June 9th or possibly June 20th before I'll be able to run them :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

schreibs posted:

Yayyyyy first track day, although I am kinda pissed that the photographer only snapped 2 of the 6 sessions and those 2 were the first loving sessions where everyone in B group was going very slow...well I will rant later here are the pics which I will only probably buy one out of:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=eventphotonow&gallery_id=2080107&image_id=23&pos=24

There were ~15 new riders and slow corners were bunched up to no end. As the day progressed (minus the session in the rain) things picked up or people dropped out and there was a lot more space but man cramming nearly 50 riders on the track the first few sessions was brutal.

drat, that is a ton of people for a run group. I thought STT running at Autobahn north was bad, and there were... 37? riders/CRs in our group. But, that track is pretty freakin short.

LOOK WHAT SHOWED UP TODAY!!!

:parrot::woop::parrot:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I will be doing a trackday here in about 5 hours.

:parrot:

:suicide:

edit: maybe it'll all have gone past by then, one can only hope.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Double postin up in this bitch.

I was keeping an eye (more like mashing f5 repeatedly) on NWS the night before and I was this close to sending an email to cancel. I ended up saying gently caress it, everything is loaded, if it rains it rains. Looking at the radar before I left I was a little worried but it looked like everything was going south so if it did rain we'd at least have a good chunk of clear weather in the afternoon. It ended up being absolutely perfect. Not a drop of rain on the track, mostly sunny, ~80F. Nicest weather I've had at a trackday so far.

Skill progression wise I was very happy. DEFINITELY carrying more corner speed...

:hellyeah::dance::hellyeah:

I was actually dragging my peg feeler in t14 pretty bad a couple times, and had it scrape in 7/8 once. I changed my body position a bit and bam, no more scraped pegs and I finally got a knee down. It's a squiddy thing to be excited about but damned if it didn't have me yelling "gently caress YEAH!" in my helmet the first time it hit the deck! I was consistently getting it down in t1, t3, t7/t8, and t14. Obviously need to work on 5/6. I lose a lot of time there. I was getting hammered through the chicanes too, I can't believe how fast the quick guys get through there. Talking with them after a session of getting passed by a group of them and seeing their lines through there, they barely brake before entering both t9 and t12, use the transition to the second turn of the chicane to brake a little before flipping it over to the left. Unbelievable. I still need to work on my corner entry speed but it's definitely getting better. One of the best "moments" of the day was braking a little less into t1 and actually flicking it down straight to my knee. Felt freakin awesome!

I'm getting much more comfortable passing and getting passed. There was a big disparity in speed between riders out there which made things a little interesting, but overall traffic was pretty light. There was only one "incident" the entire day, single rider involved and he just rode off track. No serious damage to him or the bike. I wish I had rented a transponder. Last time I was out at MAM I was running in the 1:51s. I'm going to get a timer on the video I took and get an idea about what kind of laps I was turning this time... if I had to guess i would say I got down to the 1:47-1:48 range give or take.

The D209GPAs stuck great. I now know why everyone was telling me to go to a true track tire. Holy poo poo what a difference. They were loving amazing and I only felt them slip a little once, when they probably weren't up to temp. You need some serious restraint to run race tires without warmers :(.

The organizer of the day thought it was a hot tear, possibly too much rebound damping. Clayton (big, really fast dude on a 848) thought it was cold tearing. I don't know what the hell it is. Went back through the Dave Moss video on tire wear and I would tend to agree with Clayton. Seems like a cold tear. There really isn't much buildup on the leading or trailing edges of the sipes, I think rebound is pretty close. I did some digging around and apparently I was running the tires a couple psi high according to my gauge, which I have no idea how accurate it is. The tire was quite hot to the touch coming off the track though. They were all Bridgestone people anyway and didn't have any experience with Dunlops. The track photog made it out later in the day, I think he got some good shots of me... can't wait to see them.

Anyway, great day and I can't wait for the Ducati demo weekend at the end of the month!

fake edit: jesus gently caress :words:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

I wish I had money to do trackdays right now. There's a 2 day track day at barber right now for loving $315. That price includes both days, lunch both days, refreshments all day long (water, soda, gatorade, light snacks), suspension setup help from Ohlins factory, and tire services from Bridgestone.

I would try to scrounge up whatever money you can and get your rear end out there for at least one day. Jesus that's cheap for Barber. I really, really want to ride that track but it's quite a haul for me :(.

Same type of invite as yummycheese, if anyone in the midwest is thinking about getting out to a trackday, POST ABOUT IT! I've been hitting MAM quite a bit because it's the closest to me, but if we got a group of goons together that wanted to go somewhere else I would be game.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

It's only a day trip from Illinois.

I'm in Iowa, it's ~850 miles from me to Birmingham. I don't think I could make that work :(.

lokiegoesrawr posted:

Anyone interested in a Sportbike Track Time 2-day at Road Atlanta, July 3-4?

RA is even further away :(

I'd be down for the following tracks:

MidAmerica - Pacific Junction, IA
Motorsports Park Hastings - Hastings, NE
Autobahn CC - Joliet, IL
Blackhawk Farms - South Beloit, IL
Putnam - Mt Meridian, IN
Road America - Elkhart Lake, WI
Heartland Park - Topeka, KS

Or anything else in that region. Sounds like NESBA is going to step up and actually run the event they canceled at Iowa Speedway in Newton at the end of july... if that happens I'm definitely doing that one, gently caress it's only ~35 minutes away!

Potentially Grattan raceway and Mid-Ohio

And if anyone is in NM I'm actually going to go down there to see a friend's new place/ride at the end of August. We're talking about hitting a trackday at Sandia Raceway on Aug 21. Everything is still tentative but very likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Locked thread