Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A couple more off the roll because, why not...

Learned a few more things out there on my 3rd track day with the Katoom, especially around braking. I also learned that the textile pants I wear too restrictive and I can't position my knee's the way I want to around this track. Gotta get new pants to solve this little annoyance.

Turn 11

There, I fixed it

Mentally, I'm just repeating the theme song from On Any Sunday

Zool got better at the knee down thing as the day went on

I need to get pants with sliders.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

The astute reader will notice a few things in this picture, 1) freshly used knee sliders are cool, 2) Marks on the buckles from the boot sliding are even cooler, and 3) a Husky 450 SMR WILL burn the ever loving poo poo out of your inner right boot.

Some information about our local haunt:

http://www.pacificgp.com/

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I know where you can get a really sweet DRZ...

Speaking of, I probably should have rocked the DRZ out there today. Although the rear tire doesnt quite have enough tread to hope to pick up in soft arenacross dirt.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

All I can say is that I can't wait for spring and track days on the DRZ. All this talk makes me so jealous.

I know :(

There are two supermotos and 8 pairs of slicks just waiting for the sun to come back so they can go play. Plus me and the duc are eagerly eying the big boy track.

*sigh*

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can't give any real constructive feedback, I'll leave that to our resident wall of text. Good on you for going at a good clip in such cold weather. I'd be pretty shaken if I came back in after a session and my tires were luke warm. Not a lot of faith.

The scrolling 'oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god' cracked me up. Been there. Thought that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

I'm off to a cold day at the track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adNmwFfwONQ

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

That's not entirely accurate.

Maybe "learn to brake in a straight line like the experts" would be better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've witnessed someones first ever time on a motorcycle being a race prepped KTM 450 SMR on the supermoto track.

Helluva way to get started.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Spoke tension, probably won't be an issue unless you've been jumping. Hit each spoke lightly with a small wrench, if it makes a dull sound you need to tighten it. Bring sunblock, snacks, lots of water, and a camping chair.

Also, don't ride like this guy does.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

How is it Zool can crash five times a day and keep riding? Seriously tell me, if there is some kinda yoga you do or something I wanna try it out.

He only eats Tofurkey and sleeps hanging upside down.

Naw, it's because he's really slow.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

This is from my race last month.

So far out in front ain't nobody contendin'

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First sunny weekend in Seattle in like 6 weeks and there's no supermoto at the track this weekend so asshats in civics can have a loving drift competition. DRIFT WHEN IT RAINS FUCKERS. God damnit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Raven457 posted:

Civics + drift.... does not compute...

ya I dunno, probably be some other type of 4 wheeled things. I'm not good with cars. I just want my drat supermoto track to be full of supermotos on supermoto saturday like it's supposed to be.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did you ride through a beehive?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous posted:

hehe I live in Monroe, I can hear the track from my house; so much :rice: sounds and squealing rubber that weekend. SM weekends are awesome to listen to, though.

I broke my wrist but I hope to ride that track soon, by August. I hope to see you there...

Yeah, absolutely come out. SM days are super fun and the race days are even better. Watch Ryan Pugh back it in from 150 feet coming into turn 1. Awesome stuff.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

God drat! Nice save.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just signed up for my first big boy track day @ ORP July 3rd.

Done lots of supermoto track time with the KTM before, but first time on a road course with non-sumos.

There will be another guy on a 690 though, so I'll have company

Current plan:

Pack 690 into truck... maybe pack the StreetFighter as well. I'm debating this one. Would love to take both. Thinking on it.

Head down Friday night, stay in town (4 hour drive). Early rise Saturday for a full day of what looks like 75 degrees and sunny. Head home Sunday the 4th, or if I'm feeling plucky, stay and ride Sunday as well.

Things I need to do...

KTM:

- Remove rear wheel, remove tire, mount rear slick
- Flush brake fluid
- Oil change is a good idea
- Replace front brake pads
- Put on it's trackday suit
- Adjust suspension

Ducati:

- Decide if I'm packing it or not
- Brake fluid
- Oil change is a good idea

Bloody excited though. Kick off a ridiculous week of motorcycling. Track day this weekend, supermoto track days next week, new track opening for it's first run on the 11th. Wheeeeeeee

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Alright, so what track are you going to 4 hours away, and what track is opening on the 11th?

ORP: Oregon Raceway Park @ http://www.oregonraceway.com/ this Saturday

I don't know what the facility is but traditionally there have been local SM races in Yakima, and on the 11th they are premiering an all new paved section. Pavements going this weekend and opening next, that's about all I know till we hear more from the local SM organizers.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

loving amazing day at the track today. Videos to come when I get home tomorrow but oh so good. Had some big moments, battled it out, took down a S1000RR on a Motard with a 1/4th the horsepower (felt good!) and rode the wheels off the KTM.

Glorious.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Spent Sunday at ORP with Zool. I brought the Duc, he brought his KTM, the track brought the good times.

First few sessions were pretty slow, I had to relearn the track on a superbike VS the KTM (did one full day on the 690 previously), and it was a completely different experience.

Then Zool and I got some instruction on the proper lines and spent two sessions just drilling the line not trying to go fast, and then by the end of the day we were both just religiously sticking to the line and blowing past people. Good times. Felt good to finally do some goin' fast on the streetfighter as well; due to the ridiculous nature of that thing you really can't wind it out on the street.

Fun fact: It took me about 2 hours to track prep my SF (Swapping on a cheap tank I bought on ebay, removing bar ends & removing the tail lights). It takes about a minute, maybe a minute and a half if you stop to drink your beer a little to track prep the KTM.

Anyway, here is some video. I used a GoPro Hero Wide on my SF for the first time I borrowed and I loving loved it. So much better than the ContourHD for usability. I'll be buying a GoPro soon. Downside is unbeknownst to me it only had a 1GB video card, so it was full the first session I recorded. So the only video I have is from the session before the CR taught me the line and I got fast with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMhDjU_Ch8

Zool used the ContourHD, aka WindNoiseHD at the end of the day, and got some pretty cool video of him on the 690 battling a Aprilia SXV 55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DE5GxjtL7I

Awesome day

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 2, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

that track looks really, really fun. I want to ride a track with some elevation changes :saddowns:. All three that I've ridden at are flat as a loving pancake.

The video really doesn't do it justice. It was designed by a guy who used to design roller coasters and you can really tell. The appropriately named 'half pipe' is so much fun on a bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Track days are the best days

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Heck yeah. I think I'm going to try and sneak in one more trip before the year is out, and maybe a trip to Thunder Hill. I've only ever ridden ORP clockwise and everyone that I talk to says it flows better. Knowing the track ab it counter-clockwise intimidates me a bit. Suddenly those sharp uphill turns are sharp downhill turns after straights.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah, that too I guess. But, there were a lot of people on the track, and I didn't wanna yard sale at a track day, and, and, and...

Haha, it was a blast, though. I'm either doing the next one or just a full-on track day next time.

27th and 28th Gullous and I are doing the 2 day track day at ORP with PSSR, camping on site, might have tow rig space available.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Some video from day 2 (running clockwise) at ORP on the SV. Starting to get comfortable on it. Getting more consistent. Still lots of room for improvement but if you've seen any of my previous videos here, the difference is huge.

PSSR didn't allow any inside passing, not even on the brakes, so all passes had to be outside only, so you can watch me learn how to do that.

I have a ton of video and pictures, which I'll sort through and post the gems from later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_y8FWpQrF0

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here's a video going the other direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QudC-gGbC9A

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Post the supermoto'est track face you got

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hayden. posted:

What's are some differences between taking a track-bike 600cc supersport to a track day as opposed to a street legal KTM 690SMC? Does the KTM crash better, is it less expensive when it crashes? Is one easier to find race take-offs for? Is one "more fun" than the other (I realize that's largely subjective)? Is the KTM going to make you fall behind all the 600cc supersports?

Ask Gullous how many times you can crash a 690 SMC per track day without it being a problem...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Veritas posted:

shot from today.

Invision and Ganja came out. very good day, in good company. i'll let the guys tell you all about it.

Your track bike is gorgeous and I am jealous. Mine looks like a unloved pig (well, it is an SV...)

Gotta hurry up and wad that thing so I can justify buying pretty new track plastics!

Edit: Is it an optical illusion or a camera trick, or do your pressures look really low? What are you running in that picture?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I am in houston this week and will bring the tires to washington if you guys make a deal. Support goons!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So Saturday was opening day of a bran new track in Washington called Ridge Motorsports Park

2.4 mile fast as poo poo road course with a 80 something foot Laguna Seca style corkscrew. Brilliant!

It was cold as balls all morning, and the track had some setbacks; People in a New Racer School class after our B group kept crashing to poo poo and red flagging everything and delaying the day. First session these yahoos went out somebody did a few laps dripping oil and caused an almost 2 hour track shut down.

Of course during this time I had forgotten to turn my GoPro's off on the bike so they sat there, not recording, draining battery. As such I only have video from the first two sessions.

Session 1 I literally didn't know if the next corner was a right or a left and it was cold enough my hands were frozen when we came off, so we'll gloss over that.

Session two, I'm slow as all hell, and basically just doddling along in the pack (and a bit wary of oil slicks on the track...) but at least it's something.

Going back in two weeks, and it can't come soon enough. Amazing track, can't wait to really learn the line and start picking up the pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcfIwBOu0s

first track day of the year, haven't been on the bike in 8 months, new track, cold morning... go slow... go slow... go slow...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

gently caress that thing is gorgeous and the price jesus.

We always have the coolest bikes for when you come visit...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those sliders are too long my friend. Those are going to bust right off. Make them shorter, fairing length or just a little bit longer. You want them to actually protect the frame, not just snap off in a crash.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous posted:

I'll trim them down spiff. I set the length such that the case wouldn't strike, but extracting a bolt from the frame doesn't sound fun.

A real case cover is the only thing that is going to do that, really. They're a bit costly, but you get burly thick metal to replace or add to your cases with that don't grind down or puncture at the slightest 80 MPH off...

You could possibly form one yourself. Could be a fun project. Need them for SV too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

invision posted:

I kind of want to e-detective and figure out who that dude is, because that bike is awesome.

In another forum he's selling the complete package, including truck, trailer, and a Dyno....

Dude had a killer setup.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Edit: Oh, NVM, that's the Friday. Gallous, Zool and I are doing the 5th and the 6th Motofit, and I miiiight do the Friday if I can get it off and afford it late notice. Thats like $600 in track days in 3 days though. Bit spendy.

Continuing the edit...

If its your first time at Ridge, here's what to know: They *should* have the paved parking area setup by then, but if you can arrive the night before and setup on the pavement. As you enter, you wanna go to the left and back, so you pit close to the track wall, right below THE RIDGE. It's an awesome place to pit and spectate. They'll probably ask that you not park your vehicle on the pavement, so be prepared to setup camp and then park the tow vehicle off on its own in the dirt somewhere.

There is a walmart nearby if you find yourself needing something last minute, the Fred Meyers is just a grocery.

Be mindful of the tar snakes on the track from where they widened it. They're slippery as gently caress. The track is going to be cold the first two morning sessions, even if its a nice day, so take it easy. Since you're riding with 2Fast, free hamburgers at lunch time (riding lunch, no track stoppage for lunch), and coffee and confections for breakfast.

Reg & tech open at 7, 7:40 is a ride around (hop in a truck, get shown the track), 8 is riders meeting, track goes hot at 9. 300 (advanced) at the top of the hour, 200 at the :20, 100 at :40, every hour.

Have fun, hydrate, take lots of video, and ask a instructor to show you the line first session of the day.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 19, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The sawzall is so you can the record straight with the bike of the guy who took your line last session on your hot lap

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So today I finished up buying the remaining items to turn my SuperStock legal SV track bike into a wee SV Superbike.

GSXR triples, wheel and 750 forks, off to the local suspension guru for an overhauling. R6 monoblocks, braided lines and a Brembo MC. Can't wait to feel the difference this front end makes.

My bike was setup very nicely from the PO, I've posted about it before, but the guy I bought my SV from poured all his money into it and then sold it to me for basically nothing. The fork internals and the rear shock are setup very, very nicely. Sadly though, they're setup for someone who's 180 lbs, that's not me. So some of the feedback from the front end was a little vague, and a little scary at times. Looking forward to having that all be addressed.

I also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket for a little more oomph to get drive up the inside.

Next things I'll be working on is A) painting the new set of plastics I have set aside and B) getting the power commander I took off the day I bought the bike tuned in correctly.

It doesn't stop me from wanting a 600 for track duty, but it does make me like my lovely little SV a bit more, and that means more skill building.

T minus 16 days till the next track day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Why would they plant trees along a racetrack?!?

This is Washington, it was a forest before the track got there. The trees are, very out of the way. The racetrack isn't actually finished. I know more walls, air walls, and other such things are going to happen this summer, as well as facilities and doing a final paving of the track.

Compared to the other track we have in western Wa (Pacific Raceways) this is like racing on clouds. PR has run off areas that give you about 10 feet before it's just cedar trees

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

anchorite posted:

I think the next track day I do I'll sign up for a rider school. I don't want to get into any bad habits that will be harder to break in the future.

Hey, you missed the whole gang!

Didn't know there was another gooner out there. What group where you riding in and what were you on?

Shoot a PM next time you ride with Motofit, 2fast or PSSR. Chances are, we're there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

He was there Friday.

Whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhVjwMxtvuk

• Locked thread