Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They're not if you respect tire temps and hot laps. Warmers are probably more dangerous overall because you go out on track at 100% without being warmed up (mental, brakes, suspension, chain etc). Also in cooler temps your tires can come off the warmers ready, cool on your lovely first lap, then suddenly disappear completely. Opposed to no warmers where you build up a progression every session.

I never ended up using warmers on half a dozen sets of GP-As and even full slicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

All our tracks here in the PNW are strongly left handed; so I'd get 4-5 fast days out of a set of tires, then the left side would be completely roached and flat spotted, and the rest of the tire would be perfectly fine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM Made a track ready version of the RC8

H2R, if you're a baller

Any off the shelf modern sport bike / superbike + $600 to hotbodies or w/e

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

epalm posted:

Do slicks have a 'direction'? As in, you can't just flip them and ride on the untouched side?

You totally can; though certain tires take to it better than others, but flipped DOT's and Slicks is very common in the paddock.

I never did; it's enough of a PITA to change a tire that I'd just rather go to a fresh set than flip it and have to do it all over again the next day.

Unless you are constantly flipping the tire, one side is going to get completely roasted, then you'll have no tire remaining for Left-handers, so you flip it, and now have lots of tire remaining for Left-handers but your Right-handers are sketchy.

I've definitely mounted a takeoff with a day or so of life left on it flipped to get me through a weekend, but more as a last resort thing. Once you are going to the track regularly, new tires just sort of absorb into the overall 'home down payment a year' cost of it all.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4fmpQd2cUc

Giving a two up ride to someone at their first trackday on their Duke 690. This is an open day, no groups. Towards the end of the day.

R1 lady apologized by telling everyone how I came down on her and hit her.

Injuries not too bad. Bike handled it like a god drat champ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

See if you can spot the issue...

"Dysturbed Ryders"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Let track bikes be track bikes and street bikes be street bikes if you plan to do a lot of track riding. Moving poo poo over constantly sucks.

Tuonos are great bikes, till they blow up. Much like a 749!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Leave your flat, hellish landscape for greener pastures to the north my friend.

T-Hill, Laguna, ORP, The Ridge, Pacific Raceways, PIR, Miller (before it closes)...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I loved GP shift w/ a quick-shifter on my GSXR. For me and my big feet it made driving out of corners a lot easier and it felt more natural to slam gears down while focusing on driving out and upshift while slowing on the track. It never gave me trouble switching between them unless I was riding hard on the street (then my brain associated fast with GP shift).

Not all bikes need it but I was dragging toes mid corner and having issues at tracks where gearing meant I needed another gear sooner, so GP solved that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

:(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If I can go it'll be as a spectator I only. Do never buy a house.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll do my best to come down and kick it. We have a little Northwest group making the journey anyways.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Also you'll go through about one every 4 track days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just do trackdays you knob

• Locked thread