Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Found this on the ex500 forums, it's a shame the quality is so terrible.

http://www.ebike-ridingtips.co.uk/video/mediaplayer.swf?file=rossi.flv
The bit on lines whole thing is pretty neat.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Piggy-backing on Resource's post, is there an expectation as far as rider experience is concerned when you show up for a track school? I don't plan on attending one for another year or so due to finances, but even then, I wouldn't want to get eaten alive by all others in attendance.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Anyone have experience with airtech fairings? Their site has pretty much every bike model in existence, and the prices aren't too bad from what I can tell.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone here have any experience with the Ed Bargy school in Jennings, FL?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

needknees posted:

motherfucking 130+mph lock to lock tankslapper. I have no idea. Video soon~ish.

This sounds terrifying :ohdear:
Eagerly awaiting that video.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
:supaburn:
That's intense. Kudos for not dumping it, especially going into the grass at, what, 90ish?

edit: hurfdurf last post, 130. I cannot read

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 29, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
All the talk of the dangers speed differentials in regards to tracking a 250 has made me a bit wary, but through talking to a couple people who have raced at Jennings and said that the instructors are good about breaking up novice groups, I've decided that I'm going to register for their novice school early next year. I'll probably need new tires by then, what with all of my commuting, and I'm wondering if the BT45s I run on the street would be hurting for traction in a track situation?
I guess the better question is if I would be close to pushing their limits? I've never had any hiccups on the street, and I do tend to push the lean angles when the road is clear.

I'm not opposed to getting a set of Sport Demons, GT501s, MT75s, etc. that I commonly see suggested for a more grippy tire, but if my BT45s wouldn't be expressly hazardous, then I'll just run those.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
As my first foray into track riding, I'm hitting up their beginners school day in March, I'm so excited :dance:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

As my first foray into track riding, I'm hitting up their beginners school day in March

Just signed up for this, it's on the 23rd :toot:

Thanks for all the advice -Inu-, pairing that with videos I've been watching has been pretty useful. And about the bit on carrying as much momentum as possible, I don't think it'll be that difficult on the 250, since there isn't much in the first place :v:. Talking of which, I'm still a bit torn on going there on the Ninjette, but I feel that the novice-only day won't present a big problem with huge speed differentials. If I get bit by the track bug, I'll probably end up trading over to a SV650 or a 636 anyway.

What all should I be planning on bringing as far as odds and ends go? Knowing me, I'm going to remember all my tools, but forget to bring water or some poo poo.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Do most of those cheapo custom companies still outsource all the work to Pakistan? I've seen some awful panel failure pictures from various companies.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Those pictures reminds me, for those of you who have been to Jennings, do they have a resident photographer? I don't see any gallery links on their woefully outdated website.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Nice, its even got a semi-intelligent layout. I can't wait for this Friday :D

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Today was phenomenal :toot:

Obligatory transport and pit shots

For those that weren't paying attention to the excited posts I've peppered in this thread recently, I attended the Novice School at Jennings GP today. $250 gets you a very newb-friendly introduction-to-track-riding class session (basically the dos and don'ts of track riding), a few parade laps to learn the course, more class time to learn some beginner lines, and then five 20 minute sessions in total. My group only had six guys in it, so we got a lot of one-on-one feedback with our instructor.

I think I started out pretty well, and was told by my instructor that I looked to be the most comfortable one in my group as far as general bike control and body positioning went.
Unfortunately, that meant that the rest of my group was crawling around the track. Thankfully, the small groups meant that I could pop in the hot pit for a few seconds and basically have the track to myself. There was a decent spread of bikes; my group consisted of a Lightning (I think, I can never tell one Buell from another), an SV, and the usual smattering of supersports.

Thankfully they allowed passing on the outside of corners, because I wouldn't have ever gotten around anyone otherwise.

Picture dump time. These shots are a progression throughout the day, and as it went on, everything started to fall in to place. At the outset, my lines were everywhere and my acceleration/braking points were never consistent, but by the next to last (the last four photos) and last sessions, I was more confident by an order of magnitude.

I even got a posey picture :haw:

All in all, it was definitely worth the cash. Had I skipped this and gone straight to a trackday, I would have been way more intimidated and sheepish about pushing the bike a bit, but the advice of the instructors really helped things click quickly.
I also got 98 pictures of the same quality as the above for 40 bux.

My first actual trackday is next month :buddy:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 24, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Veritas posted:

very cool! seems like you learned, and had a good time while doing so. if i can comment. stick the leading elbow out, and drop your upper body down more. so what was your favorite part of the day?

After I had a little bit off a scare nearly drifting off the track in 13, a former 250 racer in the pits told me exactly this. I hadn't seen my pictures before then, and I thought my body was down pretty low, but I fixed it over the last session and immediately felt quicker and more planted. The photographer didn't get any shots in the last session though, so it remains unseen.
My favorite part was probably seeing firsthand how lighter bikes can carry way more corner speed than the others. Granted, we all weren't running expert pace or anything, but I was easily cruising around the others in nearly ever turn. I was proud of my little Ninja :v:

-Inu- posted:

Yay Jennings! My favorite track :)

Turn 9 pictures always turn out good. I dunno why.

Where are you going next month Ancient?

Side note: Looks like I'm going to Little Tally this Sunday for a private trackday! I found this out about 5 hours ago -- good thing the R6 takes seconds to track prep. About half of the people riding are going to be friends/WERA racers. My lap times are going to drop significantly and/or I'm going to wind up in the fields. Possibly both. Will report back with results. Also running one of Elena Meyer's takeoffs in the rear, that should be good for a few seconds right there :v:

Yeah, I wish he had been at 9 a little later in the day. I think that was the first session. And I'll be back at Jennings next month, because even by the fifth session, there were a lot of little things I felt that I could fix, but didn't have the time to. For instance, how 5 and 6 can be made into one constant radius turn, I'd always early apex into 6 for some reason. I want another chance to go out there and get through it smoothly.

My suspension is terrible too :cripes:

edit: Or not, school is getting in the way next month :argh:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 24, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
My approximation:

The blue x is about where those pictures were shot, with the red being the apex. T8 is a pretty slow turn, as is 9, so you come through it on the middle to get the drive out of 10.

edit: This is just what I was doing, I have no idea if that's actually a good line or not.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That second crash in the first video :doh:
How many people were running in that group? It looked like absolute hell.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So there's a chance I'll be picking up an SV650s soon for a trackbike, and, considering the only piece of bodywork on it is the tail piece, I'm wondering if I should get a cheap front fairing simply for damage protection if I were to dump it. It has frame sliders, but that's about it.

And I know you recommended not to put any extra money into it z3n, but I'm curious if the cost of it would offset any possible damage from not having one in the case of a crash.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

Track fairings are cheap, I'd throw something on there.

I have clip ons, rear sets, and a rear shock if you decide to get this as I'm parting out my SV650S track bike. Some other misc bits too (big bag of spare bolts, etc).

Hit me up if you need anything.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

You picked up a Gen 1, right? I have a cheap front fairing stay, yours for shipping plus 20 bucks or whatever. You can bend the mounting arms on it so it fits just about any fairings.

That was the plan, but someone bought it out from under me :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Did another day at Jennings today, this time with Gottrack.net
Compared to last time I went, I learned that it's really difficult to get good body positioning on the Ninjette's stock seating position even armed with the knowledge of how to do it. I'd be off the bike so much that I'd be afraid of losing my grip on the tank, but even then I was still scraping pegs and toes. Some comparison shots from last time:

So, overall, not much change in overall cornering speed, but I felt much more planted and confident through turns that I was oh-making GBS threads over last time. Of course, that's all relative because the bike is still pogo sticking like a fiend every time it tips over. I'm hoping to take the SV next time I'm out there (next week?)

As for GotTrack.net... holy poo poo, their organization sucks. The novice class had 23 people who were all in one group. We had 4 classroom sessions where their control riders would talk over each other and generally waste time, and then 3 of our 7 sessions were lead-follows that turned into a clusterfuck of floating newbies and a bunch of Rossis and Stoners trying to be hot poo poo and passing everywhere, nearly stuffing a few people.
Aside from the organizers, the people that showed up (mostly from 1000rr.us, it was their annual meetup) were awesome to hang around and I had a great day overall.

edit: The one piece is new and tight and it made it extremely hard to bend over and tuck into the bike, if that criticism comes to mind :v:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 28, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
And lines were one of the things I felt confident about this time; I nailed most of the turns that tripped me up last time.
Saying this will probably change my luck with them, but the rearsets that came on it should still be operational. Hopefully they're uncharacteristic of the rest of the bike and stay that way.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
They were for half of the first time was there since I completely forgot about them. Didn't have them yesterday though.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
:250 pics:

Took mine to JGP for what is probably its last time. My friend got this neato picture:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Then I have until tomorrow to say that I've been to the track more often than you for the last year, and, therefore, I am better.

edit: Today

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
For passing, wait a couple corners and get a feel for how well they hold their line, how much of the track they're using, if they tend to cut in late/early or stay tight/run wide on exits, stuff like that, and you'll see a pattern with most people. Once you get that down, it's not too hard to pre-plan a pass and give it the beans the second a spot opens up, thereby freeing you of the "should I pass here..hmm...well I would've had enough time had I just done it" thought process.

edit: And I've never used a transponder, but I assume it's just something like input this code from the beacon into your bike unit or whathaveyou. I know people that use their own transponders with the beacon at my local track, so I'm guessing they're universal.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 4, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

IIT: Post the most gettinest' pics you haven't paid for

powaa

Going back to Jennings in two weeks, and it'll be my first time on the SV :dance:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Went to Jennings for the weekend, had a blast. The first half of Saturday was pretty much rained out until noon or so. There was a huge storm system that just lingered over us for a solid 5 hours and drenched everything, making the entire place miserable. It didn't help that my tires were crap in the wet and I didn't feel comfortable enough to warm them up to rideable temps. After all the poo poo passed though, it was a great day. There was only 9 dudes riding that day, with only 4 being in my group total (the rest were in a combined intermediate/expert group), and each group got ten 20 minute sessions in over the course of the day.

Today was a little more populated, with about 15-20 riders and 6 in my group. Even though it was my first weekend on the SV (and my 4th trackday), I was improving measurably throughout the day. By the end, I had chopped 15ish seconds off my previous best laptime on a 250 and just felt way more confident overall. Shame this poo poo costs so much.

I also accidentally wheelied at the start of the mock race :downs:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It's still nice there aside from 8 and 9, and even they aren't too terrible because the usual line goes in between most of the patches. I can't speak for the really fast dudes or in regards to racing since I was doing the same line all weekend, but its definitely not bad enough to avoid the track or anything.

That said, it would still be amazing if they fixed up 8. One of the harder corners shouldn't be allowed to get torn to bits as the years go on IMO.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The entire day I was so excited that I was finally getting off the bike, and then I get the pictures back and see that everything was moving but my shoulders :xd:
Also, with only 3 of them in the track, I was so bad at the right turns. I was even conscious of it the entire day and I still didn't get to the point where they were caught up with my lefts. Any of you that have been, I'm talking about 7, 9, and 13. 4 doesn't count and 14 is easy.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Veritas posted:

try holding the throttle like you would a doorknob or screwdriver. light on the bars, and hold yourself up with your core.

I'll keep that in mind next time. It did just feel generally awkward hanging off the right side, I just wasn't able to pinpoint exactly why while I was there.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Thanks for that, I've heard bits and pieces of this ad naseum, but it helps to have such a complete explanation. I'll see if I can't brush up on it all next time I'm out at the track. Hopefully it'll serve to give me a bit more confidence than I was getting last weekend in regards to comfortable BP. The tips on foot placement should be especially handy, as mine were just kind of floating around both days.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Unfortunately I don't really have any tracks that are both close to me and run clockwise, but I may just hit up Jennings again when they do a backwards day.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Envious y'all can even ride on the track. I've got another 8 months before I can ride and this thread is the worst reminder of that :argh:

Nice Jennings pics though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo that's an expensive track day, although I can't say I'm surprised since they're renting out a place that size.

• Locked thread