Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The V6 minivans generally have hold flat seats. One of lower trim Honda Odysseys would work, they tend to not have all rear seat entertainment crap. I think lady who shot my wedding used on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

ethanol posted:

How bad is progressive? Because on that new rav4 hybrid I bought GEICO was quoting $150 more per 6 months over a freaking 2 year old Tacoma. Progressive quoted $70/ month which is $60(!) / month less than GEICO was having me pay on the truck. I made the switch.

It's a commodity product, but with a bunch of invisible variables, so just get whoever is cheapest for the coverage you want and requote every year or so and switch as necessary. Fwiw I've had them a long time and they always quote ~cheapest although I've had to resign as a new customer a couple of times. I had to deal with a couple of claims and it's been fine, when I had to deal with a state farm at fault adjuster it was like talking to a potato. But insurance is just one of those things you have to go through the process yourself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

My concerns are that all pickups seem to be kinda not that good, especially for reliability, and they're really expensive for what they are.

I'm confused about your reliability concerns, as well as (comparative) cost. A 2006 Toyota Tundra is basically what you're driving right now in pickup truck form, with fewer luxury features that are absolutely the kind of things the break first, even on a toyota. I'm looking at listing for them right now with similar mileage to your current vehicle for $7-10k, which is genrally around or a bit less than what your GX appears to be worth.

Also, your use case sounds like a terrible fit for a pickup. Do not do this to yourself. You'd be better off buying whatever Suburban or Excursion you can find in your price range if you want a bigger SUV.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

powderific posted:

AI what should I look for in a pickup truck? Or are they just a mistake regardless and I should just deal?

Japanese minivan with the seats removed/folded.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I'm confused about your reliability concerns, as well as (comparative) cost. A 2006 Toyota Tundra is basically what you're driving right now in pickup truck form, with fewer luxury features that are absolutely the kind of things the break first, even on a toyota. I'm looking at listing for them right now with similar mileage to your current vehicle for $7-10k, which is genrally around or a bit less than what your GX appears to be worth.

Also, your use case sounds like a terrible fit for a pickup. Do not do this to yourself. You'd be better off buying whatever Suburban or Excursion you can find in your price range if you want a bigger SUV.

Lol I'm happy to be talked out of it if it's gonna be that bad. I'd been looking for something fresher rather than a totally lateral trade and it seemed like Tundras were comparatively more expensive than similar Sequoias, but it could just be my imagination or there not being much apples to apples vehicles on the market. Going to something of the same vintage yeah it probably is pretty even. I've been keeping my eye on marketplace and craigslist for Tundras for a while and they come up so infrequently it got me curious about a domestic truck.

So, what's better about a Suburban/Excursion/Sequoia than a pickup with a topper? I've only driven pickups a couple times and have driven SUVs and cargo vans a lot so I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are. To me it seemed like a bed with topper would have more interior height/width and be easier for keeping things my heavier light stands and carts safely tied down, building in racks for stands/softboxes, etc.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

powderific posted:

So, what's better about a Suburban/Excursion/Sequoia than a pickup with a topper? I've only driven pickups a couple times and have driven SUVs and cargo vans a lot so I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are. To me it seemed like a bed with topper would have more interior height/width and be easier for keeping things my heavier light stands and carts safely tied down, building in racks for stands/softboxes, etc.

This is just me, but I drive a work truck and my experience:

I hate finding city parking with a trailer. I have a 250 with an 8-foot bed and that's hard enough to find parking, do city u-turns. If you don't really need the half ton I'd look at the Tacoma, ranger, Colorado. More nimble, similar cargo size.

I ripped the topper off. It is a pain in the rear end to get poo poo in and out all the time, because inevitably what you want will be in the wrong place. Even with custom racks and tool boxes. So now I have some limited locking storage and paranoia about parking around the corner from my work site. And then hotels, I have to pretty much empty the bed every night.

When I fly for work I always rent minivans before an SUV (or cargo if absolutely necessary). I catch a lot of poo poo showing up on a work site, but it's always worth it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Everybody that hauls poo poo wants a van with fold flat seats. Everybody that commutes wants a Prius.

Everyone regardless of status wants a station wagon. This is the way of the world.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Yeah just get a minivan, a transit connect, or if those aren’t big enough, get a cargo or passenger van. Way easier to access stuff from the back and sides than a truck or SUV. This is coming from someone who has an E150 because a minivan wasn’t big enough for my needs.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Everybody that hauls poo poo wants a van with fold flat seats. Everybody that commutes wants a Prius.

Everyone regardless of status wants a station wagon. This is the way of the world.

drat the CAFE standards that stole station wagons from us

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

Access. Security. Weatherproofing. You can add D-rings in an SUV. You can build shelving. Lots of people do.

You know what's even better than that for your use case? A van.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

Access. Security. Weatherproofing. You can add D-rings in an SUV. You can build shelving. Lots of people do.

You know what's even better than that for your use case? A van.
I'll agree to that, except he specifically wants to ferry his kids around. And you absolutely cannot buy a double row cargo van in the us, despite how popular those are in Europe and Asia. But people are doing it nevertheless, here's an article on the subject

https://bikerumor.com/vanlife-how-many-seats-can-you-get-in-a-full-size-high-roof-cargo-van/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Minivans are a thing, as already mentioned. Not as good as a cargo van, but they exist.

Also, there are absolutely full-size multi-row vans in the US, they just have windows because they are fully kitted as passenger vans. They usually have weird christian cult stuff written on the sides.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Passenger transport Vans are the rarest and the most expensive in the lineup. So yes, probably a minivan. I've consistently had a minivan for 15 years running, and it just completely shits on every cuv, SUV or wagon. In every way other than gas mileage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lots of fleets use full size passenger vans, like shuttles and the like. Probably don’t want a fleet vehicle, but simple spec full size passenger vans are out there if you look.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can tell we are in the dark future because pick ups and SUVs have finished their transformations into full-size-vans-but-worse yet are the popular options filling the used market.

But also, while any random full size van sold as a cargo variant can have any number of seats in any configuration you want installed (depending like the article says on your local regulations and insurance), if talking about seats you want to put your kid into you're probably not going to beat the safety ratings of trucks or minivans. Passenger vans at least will come closer.

If you can fit your gear in a minivan with the third row removed I'd absolutely go with that. Bed toppers loving blow as previously noted. If you need to deal with a bit of second row fuckery I would still deal because the market after that for having a work vehicle for the nature of your gear and transporting your kid safely is a combo full size van and a Prius.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

You can tell we are in the dark future because pick ups and SUVs have finished their transformations into full-size-vans-but-worse yet are the popular options filling the used market.

You mean you don't want a minivan with worse seating and a 4-foot bed?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

I'll agree to that, except he specifically wants to ferry his kids around. And you absolutely cannot buy a double row cargo van in the us, despite how popular those are in Europe and Asia. But people are doing it nevertheless, here's an article on the subject

https://bikerumor.com/vanlife-how-many-seats-can-you-get-in-a-full-size-high-roof-cargo-van/

Why can’t you buy these things in the USA?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why can’t you buy these things in the USA?

You can. They just aren't common and require an upfitter to modify a stock van. Part of the reason for the non-domestic options is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

You can. They just aren't common and require an upfitter to modify a stock van. Part of the reason for the non-domestic options is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Ford sold the transit in a two-row "crew van" configuration from the factory for a couple model years here. Looks like they closed orders Feb last year and it's gone for '24: https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/2023-ford-transit-crewvan-faces-last-order-date-2-16.92945/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The chicken tax had the result somewhat relevant to the difficulty of OP finding a Goldilocks passenger van because it meant on paper the US was importing eleventy billion Transit Connects but due to value added services they all got chopped into cargo vans.

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford sold the transit in a two-row "crew van" configuration from the factory for a couple model years here. Looks like they closed orders Feb last year and it's gone for '24: https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/2023-ford-transit-crewvan-faces-last-order-date-2-16.92945/
Yeah, I imagine it's really hard to compete with truck fever if your use case is work crew plus cargo or tools.

Europe gets to keep these style cargo vans on the lot because the default work vehicle is a van instead of a pickup, for reference.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input all. My next step was going to be renting/borrowing a pickup to see how the loading is with my specific gear as I was also concerned about the tailgate height for getting my main cart in, access, etc so I'd probably reach similar conclusions.

My goal is to find a good balance of making my life easier for a given spend. A pickup seemed like it could maybe do a decent job of being both a personal vehicle and work vehicle without a bunch of re-configuring between home/work, but if it's a huge pain for getting gear in and out that's ultimately worse for me.

With a minivan I'm not sure if I'd need to pull the 2nd row or not. Looking at 3rd gen Sienna, looks like maybe I'd be OK on some jobs just sliding them forward and leaving car seats installed. I'd probably keep the top box. If I did have to take out the 2nd row I think it'd be a tradeoff of being more work than my current vehicle but also more space. Weirdly hard to find cargo area measurements. I suppose I just need to find one on a lot and bring a tape measure.

I would love to get a full size van, but I think if I went that direction I'd rather have it be a dedicated work vehicle and not try to do a crew van and just keep the GX as my personal vehicle. Then I could build out the cargo area just for my gear, keep carts loaded and roll em on/off with ramps vs breaking them down and loading every time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some minivans like Kia and Chrysler will give you a flat straight floor when you fold all the seats down. The Chrysler vans are very popular with utility and cable installation companies for this reason, and also because they keep the interior as flat and square as possible. Which is not a case with the new sienna, with all the bullshit curves and rounded surfaces that get in the way of your loading capacity. A used Chrysler Town & country can be bought for half of what you'd pay for a Sienna, except you'll need to replace that transmission every 100-120k miles. But at least they're stupidly abundant, best sold minivan in the country for the last 30 years or something. I bought three, like an idiot

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

My mom's car was totaled by someone who ran a stop sign. She wants a mid size SUV and would prefer a hybrid. We were looking at the Tucson Hybrid in N line trim and comparing it to the RAV 4 XLE Premium. Any comments would be welcome. I thought the Hyundai felt nicer and was a better value, but Toyotas are generally very reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll take Door Number 3 and suggest the CR-V hybrid. It's about the same price as the RAV-4 and I like the exterior styling, the interior styling, and the way it drives a lot better.

By the way all of those cars are compact crossovers, if she wants an actual mid-size that is something like Highlander/Pilot/Santa Fe. But when most people say mid-size at this point they mean "not the smallest crossover in the range" - I assume you are using it in this way. EPA class sizes are not intuitive.

edit: hyundai/kia have made some pretty poo poo cars at various points in time - the Theta engine platform had serious design defects that are basically not solvable and there is of course the immobilizer/anti-theft tiktok trend driving up insurance rates. I don't put them on the Toyota/Honda tier of reliability for sure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just want to chime in to remind you that the N variant is a version with performance pretensions and will have stiffer suspension. There may be other adjustments that your mom may or may not appreciate. It's best to test drive to make sure

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Thanks for the advice. You are correct. She doesn't want highlander size. She has a bias against Honda for some reason. The RAV4 seemed excessively expensive for what it is. It's mostly going to be her and sometimes my dad driving around.

Thank you for the CRV recommendation. It looks interesting.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 12, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Hyundai has a bit more content at a slightly lower price point, but if I were telling my mom how to spend her money I'd have her buy the Toyota. he odds of the Hyundai being a piece of poo poo and your mom complaining that you had her buy a lovely car are low, but greater than the odds for the Toyota. She'll make it up in reliability and resale. Never setting foot in a Hyundai dealership is also a bonus.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I didn’t consider Hyundai but I drove the crv and the price was not cheaper than the rav4 for similar trim(new). I thought I would like the crv hybrid more but ended up with rav4 hybrid. I like the awd system so far, kicks in power to the rears like magic.

I’d suggest driving all three

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Nitrox posted:

I just want to chime in to remind you that the N variant is a version with performance pretensions and will have stiffer suspension. There may be other adjustments that your mom may or may not appreciate. It's best to test drive to make sure

N line is an appearance and options package, N is the performance variant.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ethanol posted:

I didn’t consider Hyundai but I drove the crv and the price was not cheaper than the rav4 for similar trim(new). I thought I would like the crv hybrid more but ended up with rav4 hybrid. I like the awd system so far, kicks in power to the rears like magic.

I’d suggest driving all three

Toyota Venza is also worth a look, the Venza feels really nice inside.

Ed: gah not sure they make a hybrid tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gangringo posted:

N line is an appearance and options package, N is the performance variant.

It has bigger wheels than some of the lower trim variants so it will both ride worse and be more expensive to replace tires!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

Toyota Venza is also worth a look, the Venza feels really nice inside.

Ed: gah not sure they make a hybrid tho

The Venza is a decent call, it's a RAV-4 but a tad bit upscale and less utilitarian. Hybrid only.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It has bigger wheels than some of the lower trim variants so it will both ride worse and be more expensive to replace tires!

What's the reason behind the move to such large wheels on so many cars? Just part of the drive for everything to get taller?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

What's the reason behind the move to such large wheels on so many cars? Just part of the drive for everything to get taller?

It doesn't make them taller. They're the same diameter, just bigger wheels with smaller tire sidewalls. It's entirely for appearance.

The "because racecar" excuses is "better turn-in" but that simply doesn't apply to the street in any meaningful way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

engineering:
- crash standards (both side impact and frontal pedestrian impact) have led to belt lines getting higher, which means there's a lot more visual bulk in sheet metal on the side of the vehicle. Wheels look smaller and weird as a result.
- better packaging - wheelbases are getting longer for similar overall lengths; cars look weird with long wheelbases and small wheels similar to above. this isn't as major as above.

taste:
- customers think bigger wheels look cool and are fancy

combo engineering/regulatory/taste:
- more CUVs leading to generally larger wheels since customers do not like big sidewalls

that covers most of it, and yeah, as motronic said, the overall diameter of the wheel-tire combo is getting bigger, but it's not getting bigger at the same rate wheels are getting bigger, because sidewalls are getting smaller.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Weird, thanks for the explanation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How dare we ignore the influence that early 2000's hip hop had on wheel size

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

How dare we ignore the influence that early 2000's hip hop had on wheel size

I did think about talking about aspirational wheel size inflation as viewed through some hip hop songs.

Sir Mix-a-lot's Chief Boot Knocka (1994) drops references to three piece rims and a girl in a SL sitting on 19s lookin all swell
Lil Troy has 20" blades on the Impala in Wanna Be A Baller (1998)
Clipse's Grindin (2002) tells us that only big boys keep deuces on they ride but just a year later David Banner is rapping an entire track about a Cadillac on 22s. 50 is still stuck on dubs.

I'm not super up on it but I don't hear a lot of tracks with dudes talking about treys. I think the word "dub" is just a nice word to rap, it's percussive and punchy and has a clean vowel. 20s/22s ruled the late 90s/early 2000s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I did think about talking about aspirational wheel size inflation as viewed through some hip hop songs.

Sir Mix-a-lot's Chief Boot Knocka (1994) drops references to three piece rims and a girl in a SL sitting on 19s lookin all swell
Lil Troy has 20" blades on the Impala in Wanna Be A Baller (1998)
Clipse's Grindin (2002) tells us that only big boys keep deuces on they ride but just a year later David Banner is rapping an entire track about a Cadillac on 22s. 50 is still stuck on dubs.

I'm not super up on it but I don't hear a lot of tracks with dudes talking about treys. I think the word "dub" is just a nice word to rap, it's percussive and punchy and has a clean vowel. 20s/22s ruled the late 90s/early 2000s.

I was surprised that Still Fly doesn't actually have a reference to specific wheel size, but does specify "Sumitomo tires and they gotta be run flat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

erick sermon had very clean ten inch rims