Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
My wife is taking a larger role in picking our next car because the perfect Corolla I picked is "too loud". Here are are bulletpoints:
  • Proposed Budget: $12k would be ideal but we could go up to $20k for a car that will last a long time
  • New or Used: Used
  • Body Style: Pretty open-ended. A hatchback, wagon, or minivan would be nice. SUV/Crossover would be okay but I don't really like them because they feel too topheavy. I already have a sedan and I don't want another.
  • How will you be using the car?: Carting our kiddo and their friends around. We might use it for road trips too if it has cruise control. And I have a kayak that it could carry. I'd also use it for picking up things from Tractor Supply &tc that are too big/bulky for my Corolla.
  • Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I work in computers (and hate them) so I really don't want something with a tablet instead of real buttons/stereo on the dash. But I do love the radar-controlled cruise control on my Corolla.
  • What aspects are most important to you? It needs to be quiet (as in minimal road noise), safe, and reliable. I don't mind doing easy fixes at home for parts that wear out but I don't have the patience for dealing with an always-broken Jeep or Volkswagen or suchlike.

I have a consumer reports subscription, but they unfortunately don't have any way to filter/sort used cars by Owner Satisfaction (a roll-up that includes comfort and noise) so I have to pick the car before I can check the noise level. Hopefully you all can throw out some options to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

There is a lot of road noise when you're driving on the highway and inside the car. It makes sense to me because Consumer Reports only ever dings Toyotas for having too much road noise/not a smooth enough ride, but it is entirely possible that her expectations are just way too high. Is a used luxury car going to be a maintenance/maintenance-cost nightmare? I could be open to it if it is a manageable cost.

I forgot to mention that electric/hybrid features (especially regenerative braking) would be a really huge nice-to-have but maybe I'm dreaming too big for the current used car market.

Edit to add more car facts: The Loud Corolla is a 2018 Toyota Corolla LE CVT

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 6, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

consider going Full :911: and getting the Maverick.

This is the first I've heard of it but this looks good as hell. Is it worth it to buy 3rd-party stuff (e.g. canoe racks and dashcams, etc) at time-of-purchase? It seems like they could either be subsidized or marked-up-extra-high depending on how mean Ford is to its customers and I don't know enough about how much this stuff usually costs to make a call about it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

quote:

Just so you know when you fill out the accessories that you want to add to a car on the Honda site, it doesn't include the labor costs.
This is bullshit right?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Yeah, it is some random sales guy at a dealership responding to a HRV I picked out and want ordered. I feel like he's laying the groundwork for really racking up the dollars on nonsense dealership fees. Seller's markets are tough. I'm getting worried about how far the actual price of this car is going to stray from the sticker.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

a mid 90's Buick Roadmaster wagon

My father-in-law had a mid 90s Buick that we would borrow from time to time and I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the nicest cars I've ever ridden in (including my rich tech bro coworkers' brand new Lexuses). Never would have set foot in it on my own but I really enjoyed it once I was obliged to by circumstance. They're good cars! Nice cushy ride with an unexpectedly grunty engine.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I wish these were loving legal in Austin! Kei Trucks are absolutely perfect for my needs (carrying random stuff out to the lake/woods/trails and commuting), but last I checked they're completely illegal to drive on roads, regardless of speed limit.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Motronic posted:

80% of new cars that gave been sold in the last month or two (I forget the exact numbers but I saw them last week) are being sold for above MSRP.

Sure, you can try to negotiate but when the supply is the low they can just move on to the next person who will be willing to pay more.

This is absolutely true. I didn't sound like enough of a sucker while trying to buy a Honda last year and they ghosted me. It's a seller''s market right now.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Was it this thread where people were talking about custom fit window-shades all around a car? Was it Weathertech or some other brand that made ones that fit really well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Can you elaborate on the HR-V's flaws? I almost bought one of those last year but then my father in law gave me a car after I spent about 4 months on the waitlist. What kind of bullet did I dodge?