Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fairly overlapping with the current discussion but different budget and less experience with bikes besides throwing my bike in the back of compacts with the seat down or using the cheap trunk racks

Proposed Budget: $35k max, prefer to stay around $30

New or Used: probably gonna have to be new as I don't think I have it in me to used car watch to find a deal

Body Style: Fullsize, crossover/small SUV, comedy option small crew cab pickup

How will you be using the car?: Short commute daily driver M-F
Weekend warrior from an indie folk song music video: hauling gear for car camping, hauling bikes, hauling kayaks, hauling furniture from estate sales
Bonus if we can fit car camping gear plus bikes or kayaks with easy external racking or towing
Interested but not mandatory ability to tow smallest camper trailers.

What aspects are most important to you?
Best hauling value up to the point of diminishing returns for suburban tourist loads
Prefer phone integration with the console for maps. Have a lot of good feelings about Android Auto from rentals but would like anything that can cast google maps from an android to a console
SE US so main geographical concerns are in pouring rain handling and heat/AC effectiveness

E. I guess other important aspects is we have a lot of road debris so bonus points to anything that won't need the windshield replaced every 6 months. Jeepy crossovers are right out

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Guinness posted:

To me it sounds like you are squarely in the mainstream "compact" CUV market. Toyota RAV-4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, or Subaru Forester.
That's what I seem to be settling on in initial research. Is there anything to keep in the back of my mind shopping for these or I can really just find the best intersection of deal vs testride features?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

powderific posted:

I'm also assuming that the OP meant that more as an example of a non-headline, down the list feature and not their number 1 must have in a car thing.

Both of our cars are 10+ years old with electronic adjusters that work fine. They also retract the steering wheel when you turn off the car and at first I though it was annoying but now I kinda like it.
As a common renter that's also tall, let me tell you it's a thrill everytime you turn a car on for the first time and you see the wheel start moving into place.

But yeah even with the threat of nut smashing when the seat is all the way forward and wheel all the way down, I kinda appreciate having that space clear when getting in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
AWD improving straight line safety on a degraded surface is a half truth because they generally get The Fancy Diffs and brake controllers and that technically helps maintain continuous contact.

Don't get it for rain on pavement though. AWD is meant for degraded surfaces, I'd say primarily snow, slush on pavement or dirt. Rain on pavement is degraded but it's a very easy problem to solve more simply. I mean wet pavement only degrades traction when you make bad choices about tires or travel speed. Definitely don't treat it as a hydroplane preventer: hydroplaning is no traction at any tire so all the fanciest diffs and brakes in the world aren't going to find it any sooner.

But yeah being in the CUV market myself currently you might get it anyway depending on the model and trim you're looking at. If you're talking about opening up doors for road trips, an extra set of rims so you can be ready with both all season and winter tires is the simpler investment if you have a choice to get FWD instead. Legit snow tires get you everywhere except back country park roads or mountain passes in which case you need chains or AWD. If you're not from around where you need AWD or chains you're probably not gonna do it as a tourist because just stay off the road at that point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unsinkabear posted:

Edit: Nevermind, comment below about extra fail points is a good one. Screw it, then.
Yeah it's not just the option price, AWD has a continuous cost of ownership.

Re. Tire strategies, the absolute best economy option to have a car you can drive in snow is two sets of rims, one with all season/summer and one with winter. You need somewhere to store the rims and tires and somewhere to put them on and off yourself to take most advantage.

All weather work nearly as good in the snow but the economy breaks down because they wear down super fast because you are running a tire that's like half winter tires during summer conditions. The economy breaks down less when you don't have room for rims or doing the switch. But if you're talking about going on tour during snow but don't live in snow you almost definitely don't want all weather.

Running all season and planning your trips around weather or being able to bail on travel plans if the road is too dicey for all seasons is always an option.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC some states also earmark it for electronic waste programs so we aren't stuck 20 years from now with an unmanageable Li ion junkyard.

It can be hard to tell where road use tax and ewaste tax ends and gas pork/protectionism begins admittedly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deteriorata posted:

If you're talking about strictly new cars, the MSRP generally doesn't drop at all. The sale price on an individual car can vary depending on the day of the month, the month of the sales year, and economic conditions.

For a used car, here's one site's estimate of the Rav4's depreciation curve:

Specifically new car prices go down when the local dealership fucks up local supply signalled by having a relationship with a salesperson and grilling them at month end or quarter end or model year clearance about their stock not moving or if you're really close telling them to call you with month end deals. Or when the manufacturer fucks up global supply signalled by widely advertised rebates or incentives somewhere mid to end model year.

Like everyone is saying hybrid CUV is enough buzz words combined with global electronics fuckery that you're probably not gonna get coupons on a RAV4 prime this year.

If it gets bad enough the 2-3 year used are gonna sell very near new MSRP like ye olde hybrids.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You have no leverage because it's not on and will never be on the dealers books. Which can be good and bad. You will generally get it for invoice + fees + a non negotiable haircut. You'll know what you're paying immediately, they will probably show you the invoice price catalogue, and you will have no hopes of talking it down. If you try to shop different franchises they probably all land around the same haircut but you may find someone marginally cheaper. If you have access to any car buying services this is their bread and butter and is the only variable way to minimize the fees and dealer haircut.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Any car on a lot is vulnerable to Just A Bad Month for the dealership. I wouldn't plan on moving the earth on popular class, popular car in class, popular trim on car or especially all of the above. But you can get lucky postponing you trip to a month end or quarter end. And also ask yourself if you're ready to live Car Deal Life where you start shopping somewhat early and just set aside time to visit the dealership every other 25th of the month to re-up your interest, trade in appraisal, and drop dead price.

Or really at the same time list your trade in privately. The most latitude in most new car purchases is what you're gonna get on the trade in. AMA about getting ripped off this weekend because I desperately wanted to close before electronics got worse but the dealer I was working with doesn't have a 10+ year used business pipeline.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 19, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd rather be in a RWD with snow tires than a FWD on all seasons. A better question for my penny pinching self spoiled on southern depreciation curves is if you are still ok throwing 40 grand at something that's now depreciating at the speed of road salt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
From a safety point of view I wouldn't drive a crossover in any standing water I wouldn't take a sedan through. The deck clearance or air intake position isn't the limiting factor here. If you dislike how it feels to get in and drive your current car I'd be looking for a comfortable car in any shape and not limit yourself on how raised it is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A crossover or CUV that isn't a mom mobile and a car from the 2000s that doesn't look like a flat egg are both riddles on their own. To combine the two is an enigma for the millenium.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Besides budget, expected driving habits are important to make sure you don't fall into your 1% doubt range. That's going to be hard to do as a late comer to driving but it's worth thinking about because a hybrid MPG comes with a premium price bump and a lot of people are shocked when their total cost of ownership breaks even after 10 years because they just go to work and get groceries around the corner and don't have a hell commute that breaks even in a year. Hybrids are a home run for a huge swathe of the american driving lifestyle but there's exceptions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Toyota RAV-4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, or Subaru Forester all come highly recommended in the thread including the hybrid versions of the RAV-4 or CRV if their gas mileage makes sense for you. I picked up a CX-5 from the threads recommendation after shopping around a little more on strength of it's gadgets vs price compared to the RAV-4 or CRV but I also didn't need a hybrid.

Where standard hybrids are meant for long stop and go commutes, plug ins are great for short trips if you local infrastructure supports a lot of leach charging. If you can plug in at work or at Wholefoods and get off hours pricing for charging overnight at home you can get away with sipping nearly no gas and paying real cheap electrical rates for half your time in EV mode.

If you aren't into hybrids on idealogical grounds there's a bunch of accounting you can do to figure out gas vs hybrid vs plug in.

I'd imagine a family of four can fit into a full size/wagon very easily if you aren't into the extra cargo and size that comes with a CUV. You might be surprised at how strollers and car seats can pack away these days. Being the minivan or third row SUV family comes with downsides in that your whole social circle thinks you're the kid hauler now. Some people are into that though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm starting to lose the plot in this multi variable car calculus request. Are you buying a van, lifting it, and painting a wizard on the side or not?

I don't think you've had a disasterful idea yet and you've got a couple different versions of what you need, which is going to be useful in the used market. Hit the pavement and let your butt tell you what's the right one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe this is more of a general finance question, but does anyone happen to know of a calculator to tell what the value of a dealer zero percent finance loan actually is? I'm sure I could write one myself in excel or something but :effort:

I'm trying to evaluate the difference in taking a new car at zero percent, vs a two year older used for a few thousand less (which would probably have to be a cash buy, since as near as I can tell no bank offers low interest car loans around here :canada:).

Also, said car dealership also offered me an interesting scheme where in lieu of the zero percent offer they would finance it through their bank at 5.99%, receive some sort of kickback (from the bank? From the OEM? Unclear), and pass some out that on to me in the form of a $2,200 discount off the purchase price. The loan could apparently be bought out 7 months after purchase for no penalty. The increase in payments over the zero percent scenario is about $17, so over six months that's nothing. Sort of inventing a bonus cash incentive, except my bullshit detector is screaming and it seems like there's free money being created. Anyone ever heard of something like this before?
This is so easy to do in Excel I've never found a web tool or anything. I think there's even easier ways within Excel but I usually use PMT, plug in the terms, multiply by the length, and now I can compare it to the principal. Adjust length if you're planning to buy out early.

As mentioned if you're willing and able to buy out and they're passing incentives on it can totally be worth it to take the bate. But run you own numbers to see if it makes sense. They'll helpfully do it ahead of time to fish you in, and they might helpfully make mistakes. The only place they need to be legally correct is the truth in loaning document you're not going to see till 10 minutes into signing your soul away and the best way to know you've been in the right track the whole time is when that matches your envelope calculations.

Unsinkabear posted:

Carvana is telling me that the 2013, 65k miles vehicle I currently own which has those advanced safety features is worth $11k and change in this market. The only negative marks on their questionnaire were that I only have one key and there is a minor accident on the car's record, both of which I can accept in whatever I replace it with. I thought I might have to stretch to 13k, but $15k just to get something with high miles seems unbelievable. If prices are nuts on used cars across the board, then shouldn't I be getting just as much of a premium on the one I'm selling as the one I'm buying? What am I missing that makes getting a handful of the things my current car has in something with a slightly larger cargo area and an extra inch of ride height so unreasonable?

Because that is what I'm looking for. I can even give on the ground clearance if I have to. Are there seriously no Honda Fits or Priuses or Kia Souls or whatever that have a collision warning option in a year I can afford?
You don't trade in a car and get an equal but different car even when it isn't hell market. They're probably turning around and selling a low mileage Accord like that for $15k. The Accord is the upscale feature selling mobile so it's going to have collision assist early in model years compared to others. I think you're already swayed to mod your Accord but in your price range, even going up to $15k, you probably trading tech for storage space.

For reference the Kia Soul introduced FCW in 2016 as an option. That sounds about right for FCW market introduction to mass market cars. So remember you're looking for a newer car, in a popular body style, and need to sort through a bunch of abused ones in a sellers market.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
e. I wanted to give a benefit of the doubt because my rentals in the Ft Lauderdale area would be good for at least one FCW trigger a week and I am not a defensive driving champion but I try to do my part. But these are all times I was already braking and the car was like maybe do it a bit harder? and I was very personally insulted.

So if your foot isn't already on the brake pedal when it triggers you need to rethink your habits and talking about mirrors or GPS/screens is a real bad sign about your habits.

bird with big dick posted:

It's pretty common for automakers to have an either/or incentive i.e. you either get a $2000 cash rebate or you get 0% financing.

The other thing that's likely happening is that the dealer is jacking up the interest rate because they get kickbacks from the bank for it. E.g. you get approved for 3.99% and they jack up the rate to 5.99% and pocket part of the difference. This happens all the time in the US and they don't have to tell you they're doing it though maybe Canada has some consumer protections that are different, I don't know (probably not).
The Mazda incentives when I was looking were 0% and a cash rebate and I couldn't figure out what the business ploy is there until you mentioned that last part. LOL corporate is trying to buy out lovely local finance deals like that.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 16, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unsinkabear posted:

So it looks like I might be in a position to sell my car now while the used car market is wild, get as much out of it as possible, and then wait until fall before buying its replacement. You folks have your finger on the pulse better than most, do you think the supply and demand are likely to have settled down by then, or do I run the risk of things getting worse instead of better?
Electronics shortages are projected into 22. Meaning new car prices are only going up next model year. Meaning used demand will remain high.

Getting into the tea leaves here but there's also a fair bit of inflation pressure so I'm fully expecting the current prices to lock in by the time electronics price correct and that's just going to be the market rate for the extended future.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now is the perfect time to get out of a popular good car and into an unpopular bad car.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Raise a used Prius, add mud flaps and a racing vinyl.

Seconding getting a used Miata, they really are the Prius of the daily driver sports car. It will be cheap enough you can skip a gun month and get it entirely secondary to what you are driving now: real car culture is having a driveway of hulk's you are always working so you can try your hand at maintenance.

After you have a baseline of stick experience, take a vacation to a race school experience. You'll get the track day spiel without ever having to kit out a car for track days. This is important because a lot of people really do go once and trade their Corvette back in for a Miata.

If you are still into track cars after fixing up a Miata and going to a week long race school congratulations on your new Corvette, you can park it next to the Miata.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 27, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nomyth posted:

Forgive me for not knowing what BFC's perspective is, but what are the red flags, in detail?

And yeah, I can understand now why it's not a good idea to ask for suggestions by throwing malformed ideas out there and hoping something sticks. I was afraid that I'd be given suggestions that would be more compromise than I'd care for, which FWIW I should mention that I'm willing to discuss why or why not certain ideas that I've put in so far are worth pursuing.
Changing gears to BFC, when anyone's response to the question "what is your budget to such a purchase" and the response is "uhhh I make a lot of money and spend it on poo poo already", we know you do not have a budget and instead have an intent to set your wealth on fire. Setting your wealth on fire is fun but there's a lot of higher priority things to focus on when you're making a lot of money, because you might not always be making a lot of money, if for no other reason like changing life goals to include children or elder care.

If someone asks you your budget for a car you should have a number. It should be based on what you have fluid in your bank account as cash, what you have as secured assets like a house or 401k, and what you have in durable goods that you might part with in exchange like car trade ins or if you're willing to swap out your guns. That budget should take into account what is your current expenses and what are your future expenses. It sucks to think about but when you deal with a lot of toys, you always need to be thinking "how do I liquidate all this crap for an emergency" because it is a bigger deal to do to toys than secured assets.

Tldr: 'i make a lot of money to spend on toys' is a red flag that betrays you might not put the amount of effort into budgeting and wealth management that backs up those toys. There are tons of people in trades and engineering who have never been taught budgeting and have 90k+ salaries and spend it all on corvettes and boats and end up eating Vienna sausages out of a shoe when the boat sinks and they're sued for tboning their Corvette into a minivan of a family of 6.

Late edit: I speak a lot in analogy and metaphor anchored in my personal experiences so I just wanted to clarify when I say Corvettes and boats I mean figuratively. You can easily substitute "any car more expensive than a 2 year old Prius" for Corvette and "guns and anime vinyls" for boats. I'm not trying to put Corvette into your mouth as something born out of this threads optimism when you said you wanted a hot car

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 27, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have to admit I had an automatic Mustang GT 5.0 once upon a time and despite the slushbox from an Explorer (got it the year before sequential automatic was even an option) going cachlunkchlink whenever you put the hammer down, going really fast in a straight line got a lot of stuff out of my system so I can rest easily in boring cars now.

I know I am perfectly boring now because before Hertz got reamed by the pandemic they had base model Challengers and mid model Chargers in the loyalty lots some times and driving them around I was like "ahh yes, slow cars that sound fast. This is perfect."

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 27, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KillHour posted:

Because for some reason I still don't understand, all the other millennials got together without me to decide that the new "cool car that shows you're a wealthy and interesting person" was going to be full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. I must have slept in that day. Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.
Big car, big wife life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unsinkabear posted:

I hope we are so lucky :pray:

Speaking of, does anyone make small trucks anymore? My first vehicle was a '98 Ford Ranger, and I might have rose-colored nostalgia glasses because it saved my life in not one but two freak accidents, but I sometimes miss that hunk of junk and the utility of having a pickup. I would consider getting another, but the modern truck selection seems to be unilaterally and unnecessarily massive.
What I really want is a ute but I would settle for a truck like that generation of Ranger. The small trucks today are the large trucks of that era.

Because new ones don't exist there's a small culture of getting one of the last ones coming out in the 90s-00s and wrenching on it to keep it alive at all costs but I'm not a mechanic to want to get into that.

E. Ford is perpetually toying with the idea of bringing back a truck that size to the US market but realistically that idea is dead in the water because of the aforementioned bigger is better culture for people in trucks.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 28, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm recently in a CUV so I had every opportunity to size upgrade to a Bronco Sport already.

I totally forgot they had confirmed the Maverick for MY22. I think my brain blocked it out after I learned it was a pickup shaped Bronco and not a sexy utilitarian turn of the millenium Ranger. I'm not sure you can make a car shaped like that anymore because of safety.

This reply is typical of all the little excuses that are going to murder the Maverick in the crib.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

So is paying cash for a vehicle just a complete trap? I was genuinely surprised when I ran the numbers yesterday and even at relatively awful 7% interest rates, the finance cost is significantly less than a modest return from the market.
Securities are very exuberant at the moment. How much do you trust markets to keep at 10-15%?

There's no right answer. Ex. banks selling car loans at 2-7% don't think securities are safe to go all in. But there are tons of car people who use their car loan as fuel to go hard into the market. I personally do my own planning on securities doing 3-5% a year which makes me treat auto loans as a wash and I let my monthly budget vs upcoming capital needs do my deciding. That means I'm leaving money on the table when the market is being dumb but my rear end won't be exposed in a recession.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You also get into the wheels within wheels wealth management even at low or no interest. Does Canada have the equivalent of a Roth account? If you're in the US and aren't at the Roth limit but you're putting money into a traditional investment account, you are in most accounting plans loving up. The correct thing is to go back in time and not gently caress up and have your ducks in a row to get a 0% car loan. But if paying cash helps you restructure your monthly budget to feel safe putting what would be your car note into your Roth, I would consider that a win over putting a lump sum backstopped by your car loan into an investment account because of the differences in tax exposure.

That calculus changes again if you need that money short term for house renovation or something and there's moments you might want an investment account without being at your yearly Roth max.

A lot of this is just trying to look very busy accounting and that's why I play dumb and come at it from monthly and capital budgeting. My car money was never going to go into investments, it's in a competing pool of "poo poo gotta get done at some point" money. I'm an idiot but this makes me a happy idiot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

Well I could just make the monthly payments without drawing down the investment. But yeah you're right that in the scenario where I pay cash, the proper alternative is to count the payment I'm not making as investments.

Assuming I don't take the patriotic route anyway :v:
Honestly I have crazy option paralysis going on in my head right now. I know what make/model of vehicle I want, the options I'm looking at are basically new middle-trim or year old top-trim; as near as I can tell the financial cost comes out pretty close on them, so the question becomes do I want a new one with Wireless Android Auto, or the year old with real leather, vented seats and a heated steering wheel? And I've just been talking myself in circles for weeks.
Even if you don't draw down to make payments, the opportunity cost is reduced by the payment amount. Because if you don't have the loan your budget is able to apply that equivalent payment money to your investment account, which is what you are doing by not drawing down. It really is debt interest needs to match asset interest or else you are personally paying to make one side seem better like M. Night Skymall said.

Put total cost of ownership on each option on a piece of paper and ask if you can live with those numbers for the features you get. Save the accounting for later, assume worst case loan terms, and ask your gut can I live with this number disappearing from my bank accounts for my shiny chariot. Your answers may surprise you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Man I just bought a Mazda CX-30 online and forgot to request the Costco price sheet... I hope I didn't lose out on too much. Oh well, it would've only been a few hundred off max, and it feels good to just have it done with. They're delivering it to my house the day I'm moving in. After many long years of driving beaters, then nice-ish but boring used economy cars, I finally got my first brand new car!

The sales manager was telling me all about the chip shortage and how it's going to be a tough few months at least for new car sales. He claimed a lot of incentives and promo rates are disappearing because there's no inventory to churn through. I'm happy with my $500 off and 0.9% financing. Is there any truth to him saying that I had "just made it" with my deal before some shift in how new cars will be priced? It could be salesman bs to make me feel savvy and cool, but this conversation happened after I already bought the thing so I'm not sure what the point of glad-handing would be at that point.

Very glad I didn't go with the similarly-priced Kia Soul with 2.25% interest rate and a $995 mandatory aftermarket surveillance system lol
It is salesman BS +- what trim you were looking at but Mazda is in a good place coming up in the market from good import to luxury import and so their dealerships tend to not play negotiation games lately even outside weird inventory stuff from what I've researched.

Inventory on your local lots for any make probably isn't going anywhere but down this summer which may trigger mid year MSRP changes. Facebook friend bs. etc but a highschool acquaintance is mechanic at a Ford dealership and he was posting they have 0 deliveries scheduled in June.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Motronic posted:

Had a friend just buy a CX-5 Carbon Turbo yesterday. I didn't ask yet, but I can drat near guarantee you he paid MSRP or at the most got $900 off that they made up for with the Mazda 3 he traded in. I'm sure they somehow ate the ($750?) loyalty money.

This isn't because he doesn't know how to negotiate. The $31k MSRP is a rounding error for him on daily deals/spend/negotiations at work. This is just the new normal, especially for a trim package like that.
IIRC there's no dealer rebates even (besides loyalty cash) on the turbo CX-3 and CX-5 trims because they know they have a captive audience for CUV-go-fast. Non turbos were running $500 cash back and $500 if financed through Mazda and that was the only movement on MSRP when I got mine a month ago besides what felt like a professional courtesy for an insulting first trade in offer. I've been watching their inventory for my own edification and they don't have my trim+option on the lot any more :suspense:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If its not trim/option interlock then its people in the inbetween climates are big babies that can be upsold into an AWD with the threat of a snowflake ruining rush hour.

But like the aforementioned Mazda turbos only come in AWD because they presumably didn't want to engineer how to get 230-250 hp out of the front comfortably.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It sounds like you have an excellent opportunity to put your requisite 6 months family expenses in savings (which is also fat that helps you not do things like fill credit cards up with unforeseen expenses like moving somewhere). Your intuition seems half right, you should use your windfall to settle debts and build savings.

Settle everything with toxic APRs, build your savings to absorb 6 months expenses or another unforeseen moving event which put you underwater originally, whichever is more. Note I use that as a benchmark but not because you will exactly move in the same way again, but because people's unforeseen events usually repeat themself in magnitude but not in exact causes.

If you can afford a truck sized down payment and a truck sized car note after all that congratulations. If you don't you can still just get a truck and be underwater again, most of the US does and they only occasionally become homeless and move into their trailer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nomyth posted:

What are the signs that the market is good to buy in, anyways? Do those times even exist for luxury/sports cars?
It's easier than ever to stalk dealer inventory on the internet. Stock go down, which is generally what's happening now, you're hosed. Stock stay the same, maybe you can get some deals. Stock go up, get ready for the fire sale.

There are commodity luxury and sports cars. These are the ones on the lot in quantities of more than 1. The above generally applies, if there's enough stock to keep tabs on their velocity.

There's high end that they keep on the lot. These aren't usually gonna go on sale and when they do you can probably treat them as 1 year used because they are endlessly test drived by people who can't afford them or given out as loaners to try and hook the more gullible marks running through their maintenance shop. Buy it out the catalogue if you want it, but you aren't gonna get a deal.

A lot of the top end just aren't on the lot unless you're in a worldwide top 20 by wealth city. You gotta buy out the catalogue. It's gonna cost what it's gonna cost.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

skipdogg posted:

Like what kind of car are you talking about here?
He should buy a Miata but we may or may not have convinced him to get a top trim Corvette "accidentally as a joke" on purpose.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In and out parking fees on an improved spot run like $50-75 a night these days anywhere you aren't constantly watching your underwear and grill.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am going to go against the grain and advise you that if you are carrying around firearms you should have a trunk. Sure, it doesn't really stop anyone, but it means people can't peek in and see your poo poo. Yes there are covers etc, but trunks are very much more out of sight and out of mind.
I think Illinois is a stored out of cabin state so if you are in a hatch, crossover, or SUV you need to spring for the partition anyway if it's not standard. At least I remember the Kentucky rednecks on the border being really sour they were supposed to take their truck cabin gunracks down if they were going to Illinois.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LittleFuryThings posted:

What is the BFC/GWM method to determine your budget for buying a car? I've seen the 20/4/10 rule, but that seems very restrictive. Have also seen the 35% - 50% of your annual salary as the max you should get financed. Are people typically putting down much less than 20% in this thread?
20/4/10 is a good rule if you don't want to get into capital depreciation analysis. A lot of people's monthly payments probably violate the 10 part of it without being a big deal. 20% down is not negotiable: there is too high a risk of going underwater with any less.

Total cost at 50% of your (pretax) yearly salary is another benchmark I like as an absolute ceiling. This violates the 10 part by a large margin but is budgetable if you are a carfan.

The correct way to look at it is related to capital depreciation. Whichever way you buy and finance, if you're getting a new car you are burning 90% of that money in the next 10 years of that cars life. This makes it really easy if you want to drive a car into the ground even without getting into monthly or yearly depreciation because you can basically budget your next decade as burning that money completely. If you want to chase new cars every 3-5 years you need to get more serious about the curve to consider ideal trade in times etc. to figure out your total burning of money to the car god.

But basically look at your next 5-10 yearly budget. What money can you live with never seeing again over that time range? Because that's what the sticker price is on a car, used or new.

It's much easier to buy new right now if you can afford it. Certified pre owned disappear the day they hit the lot and used car sellers are selling faster than you can get a prepurchase inspection.

Anyway for your car recommendations,you entered the thread during a strange dad-car tilt so don't pay too much attention considering what you're looking for isn't that. if you have no serious preferences (all your asks are pretty baseline or universal options for new cars now) congratulations on your new Prius. Don't think too hard about the hybrid, it's just the easiest to recommend Car brand Car.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't been in a compact that struggles to hit 80 since highschool and college in the 00s with people driving cars from the 80s to 90s.

Like how old is the Fit? Is the running gear about to go? Did you lose a cylinder somewhere?

Your priorities and price range means you can look into crossovers or very base model CUVs but they are in direct odds to priority 1 and 2 (even with asking a Prius to hit 85mph) for very cosmetic gains in priority 3. A couple inches of deck height and some awd do not make something much more confident feeling on gravel. It's still in rock slinging range if you don't like the dings and your dynamic handling might be a little more butt comfortable with the extra travel available but isn't doing anything extra to keep you moving in the right directions.

A commuter car that needs to do dirt roads occasionally is best answered with a hybrid compact. If you actually meant your priority 3 is priority 1 then we can recommend your favorite shaped Subaru.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 16, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair getting a compact into the power zone will find every loose thing that could possibly vibrate so it does sound really terrifying if you're not used to it.

Test driving my CPO Civic I really flogged it and the sales guy was tripping over himself like "oh my we will find that noise and secure it down before you get it if you want it" and in my head I'm like "I was just looking for a cloud of oil coming out..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

just another posted:

Whether it's the car of my constitution, passing on the highway sucks in a Honda Fit, especially when you're accelerating off 70mph, and especially if there's an incline. I've driven this thing for ten years, coast to coast, including multiple road trips within the Rocky and Coast Mountains, so I'm not liable to change my opinion or decide I want something similar.
Yeah I think we've started tilting at windmills besides your problem. Someone else might be able to help you with what power forward sedans are available at your price level so instead I'll get on this threads other Soapbox and recommend the Mazda CX30 or CX5 again for the reasons of power and comfort. I think the turbo is out of your price range to remove all acceleration doubts but my CX5 feels pretty peppy without it - just got done with a vacation road trip and never felt it was lacking guts to get out in front of stuff starting at 75-80 MPH on Appalachian hills and the CX30 is a smaller car with the same engine.