Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

powderific posted:

Heaven help me, I'm considering a fullsize pickup. Thinking a domestic crew cab, probably an F-150 with a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost, with a 5.5' or 6.5' box. Probably 5.5' as that's long enough to fit most of my stuff and will be slightly easier to park.

AI what should I look for in a pickup truck? Or are they just a mistake regardless and I should just deal?

Is there a reason you aren't looking at N/A V6 work trucks? Consumers don't like to buy them but plenty of fleets operate them and if you're buying a truck between 100k-150k miles at least you won't have to replace a turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Motronic posted:

You can. They just aren't common and require an upfitter to modify a stock van. Part of the reason for the non-domestic options is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Ford sold the transit in a two-row "crew van" configuration from the factory for a couple model years here. Looks like they closed orders Feb last year and it's gone for '24: https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/2023-ford-transit-crewvan-faces-last-order-date-2-16.92945/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I did think about talking about aspirational wheel size inflation as viewed through some hip hop songs.

Sir Mix-a-lot's Chief Boot Knocka (1994) drops references to three piece rims and a girl in a SL sitting on 19s lookin all swell
Lil Troy has 20" blades on the Impala in Wanna Be A Baller (1998)
Clipse's Grindin (2002) tells us that only big boys keep deuces on they ride but just a year later David Banner is rapping an entire track about a Cadillac on 22s. 50 is still stuck on dubs.

I'm not super up on it but I don't hear a lot of tracks with dudes talking about treys. I think the word "dub" is just a nice word to rap, it's percussive and punchy and has a clean vowel. 20s/22s ruled the late 90s/early 2000s.

I was surprised that Still Fly doesn't actually have a reference to specific wheel size, but does specify "Sumitomo tires and they gotta be run flat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

me too, that was one of the first places I checked to try to find something

Young Buck round about references 22s in that he says "They said 22s wouldn't fit but they liars" which implies that he in fact does have 22s although it's not truly confirmed. He's a Pirelli guy though. edit: he also references 24s I guess.

Yeah there's a bunch I missed after I listened to it again (and looked at lyrics). 24s for sure.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Seriously, used 2020/2021 examples with under 30k miles can be had for under 20k.

But how much are you going to pay your mechanic over the next 5 years?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

priznat posted:

In my car shopping for the wife I have kind of been interested in the new Hyundai Santa Fe which has a cheater 3rd row.

But then I watched a video by the car confections guys going over how the transmission failed on theirs within the first 50 miles so now I don’t know about that one. Fancy DCT I guess.

A lot of the decision will be based on what is actually available on lots without a 6mo+ wait (which apparently all minivans are at least that much of a wait except possibly the Kia carnival). Can’t even test drive stuff which takes the fun out of car shopping!

Every time I'm at the Kia dealer for service, I ask if there's a Carnival I can look at, but I don't think there's ever been one actually in stock at any of the 3 Kia dealers nearby me at any point in history. We're sniffing around the minivan market but it's still really hard to find any at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm doing research into buying baby's first car. I've asked itt before and was recommended a Prius. I also said before that it would be much easier and less stressful for me to just buy it off of like Carvana but was recommended not to do that.

So anyway, I don't plan on buying for a good while or maybe ever but I'm trying to educate myself.

I go to Toyota.com and search for used Priuses and the cheapest one is a "2022 Prius L FWD" priced at 22.2k with 44.9k miles.

What would be the next step if I were to buy this one? I'm not going to because I don't want to spend 20k for a used car but assuming I was going to is the next step to get a loan from a bank or something?

Should I not be looking for used cars on a car manufacture website?

E: needless to say I don't know what I'm doing

I think that going to a CarMax and sitting in and driving some cars is going to be the fastest way to figure out what you want. Look at different makes, look at crossover vs sedan, see what ergonomics you like.

Car manufacturers sites are a good place to look at specific configurations, trims, and options, but a terrible place to actually try to buy a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is Tesla cost of ownership really this sky high? This seems insane for the segment: https://www.cars.com/articles/after-more-than-2-years-and-22000-miles-weve-said-bye-bye-to-our-tesla-model-y-482880/

quote:

Factoring in the almost $30,000 we saved on our next purchase, we spent roughly $48,000 on the Model Y in exchange for around 22,000 miles of transportation and testing over the course of our ownership.

More than $2/mile ownership costs, ouch.