Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

I’m envisioning a GTI with a hitch to mount a bike rack and also a roof rack for a roof-mounted kayak or cargo carrier and it looks pretty neat. And much more enjoyable to drive around on daily errands/commute than a CUV with CVT...

Not a GTI, but you get the point. They're a great daily.

On that note, I'm currently leasing a GTI. I had planned on buying out the lease but the car was wrecked a month after I bought it and ended up getting $22k in work done and needless to say I'm not keeping it. I'd been shopping Golf R's and Focus RS's since I live in Colorado and do mountain things in winter. However, I've decided I'm not going to stay here for a multitude of reasons. It will be a bit before I can get out, but I'm shopping much less practical vehicles. I've more or less settled on a used f8x M3/4. You can find the M4 with 30k or so miles for $40-45k and the M3 in similar condition for $43k and up. I prefer the M3 but there are several M4's that interest me and they can be had much cheaper. I'll be financing the majority of the purchase. Yes, I know how sound of a financial decision it is to finance an off warranty BMW M car. Having said that, I can't get an M2 Competition out of my mind. They're obviously way more expensive, but BMW is offering 2.99% on them while I'd probably be paying in the realm of 5% on a used M3/4. It's also going to have a warranty that will be nonexistent or ending on the other cars. If I put somewhere around $10k down on one the payments wouldn't be far off from what I was planning on throwing at the M3/4. How loving stupid am I for even considering this?

Related to the picture above, one big thing that goes in favor of the M2C is that you can put a roof rack on it. On an M3/4 with the carbon roof you have to drill holes in the roof to get to the factory mounting points or get one with a moonroof to use crossbars. Not a massive issue for bikes since there are hitch mounts for it but it complicates things with the kayak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It depends on your income, current debts, their interest rates and the monthly debt service.

Sorry, this is partially a BFC thread.

But based on your post is sounds like your stretching way too far.

If you come back with "the only debt I have is a mortgage and I'm trying to structure my cashflow based on investments/vesting schedules/etc" then carry on.

I make around $150k a year. My only debts are car and rent. I'm renting because I'm not going to stay here because the cost of living is dumb. I was paying around a grand a month between 2 cars for a couple years without issue. I'd love to not be doing that any more but I'm single with no kids and like buying dumb poo poo. I'll hopefully come full circle and end up just paying $20k for something boring, but I'm not gonna count on that happening.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I'm still not hearing why do you need to finance this. Sounds like $60k is an achievable goal for you.

I could almost go pay cash for an M2C tomorrow. I like having money on hand for emergencies, impulse purchases, etc... though. I'll also likely be buying a house when I eventually get back to KC, so not blowing my load on a car so I can make most of a 20% down payment without taking a loan out of my TSP is also a consideration for me. Don't worry, I know I should be doing things like investing my money and whatnot, but :effort:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

And this isn't one of those?

Yes, but not in the sense I'm talking about. Think new mountain bike, headphones, whatever other hobby I decide to pick up this year. The only reason I haven't gone and dumped a bunch of money into a new mountain bike already is that I'm on 6 day weeks and have been out a total of one time this year and therefore haven't gotten the itch to upgrade.

KillHour posted:

I've already gone on record saying this, but with interest rates in the 2s or less, I'm a fan of financing over buying outright.

Get your M car and flog it. Also post pics in AI.

Honestly, I'm fine financing with higher rates just to have extra money on hand up to a certain extent, lower rates are just a plus. I'm debating how much money I put down on this, but I might call around to some local dealers tomorrow and see if they have any allocations left over.

It's just money and I can't take it with me and I'm sure as poo poo not leaving it to my ungrateful cats :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

In the 2s means <=2.99. my credit union is doing 2.79 right now.

If you're thinking about a new M car and you have that much money kicking around in your free checking account or under your mattress or whatever, you're either a millionaire and just don't care or you're screwing yourself. You need to be beating inflation. Even a loving CD is like 3% APY and is gonna offset your car loan.

My main checking account draws 2.25% so my money isn't completely wasted. I do need to open up a second account there since I'm quite a ways over the cap for the full amount. My other credit union is doing 2.49% interest loans right now as well, so I think I'm set as far as that goes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Something Offal posted:

What do you mean here, like a mortgage?

fknlo OP guy, you have money in brokerage index funds / retirement stuff right? Just making sure it's not all in your bank account. If it is, pop on over to the Long Term Investing thread in BFC and we'll get you set.

Yes, I max out my TSP and at some point I'll get a Roth IRA set up as well. I need to stop putting that one off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Something Offal posted:

Lol, it's our tax dollars funding this M car? :v: i'm for it I guess

at your compensation level i'd expect significantly more investing than a maxed TSP, while still allowing for a high level of fun purchases. Since from what I understand you're shoving everything not in the TSP into a bank account, you have a ton of optimization available to you. Still recommending the BFC thread!

If you're young and have a risk tolerance, you can start up a taxable brokerage account, it opens you up to the ups/downs of the market but you also get a potential 5+ % return to sink into fun stuff if you don't want to save all of your earnings from that account. Plus the Roth you mentioned.

I'll have to jump into the BFC thread. I should definitely be doing more with my money.

KillHour posted:

Buy winter tires.

This should probably be added to the thread title.

If you live somewhere where it snows even semi-regularly you should definitely have winter tires. They make a huge difference. Funnily, one of the things that was putting me off the M2C for a while is that you can't get anything but 19's on it and wheels that clear and winter tires for them are not loving cheap.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Rod bearings.

Throttle actuators, a/c evaporator in there too. If this weren't going to be my daily it would be a different story.

This m3 that I didn't think would be available to me actually is and now I'm flipping back and forth again. No warranty but $15k cheaper. I could throw that $15k into some sort of investment fund to cover out of warranty repairs :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

E9x are 45 grand these days?

Some of them, yes. $35k+ is not at all uncommon for 2011 and up cars with the competition package, a manual, and lowish miles. That particular car is probably high, but I've seen quite a few listed over $40k. I'm talking about an f80 M3 though, which I'm leaning towards once again. If I throw in the cost of additional taxes, winter wheels and whatnot the difference is pushing north of $20k between this particular f80 M3 and a new M2C. I can't come up with a ton of reasons to justify that difference.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A F80 Jesus Christ

Scoff all you want, it's going to be a better daily for me. I have a friend that has both an e46 and an e92 M3 and he's the one that started steering me to the newer cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I posted this in another thread because I'm not sure if it applies here, but I'm used to the process of paying off a vehicle and getting the title from the bank upon doing so and then signing it over at that point. The car I'm looking at is in Wisconsin, and there you pay off the loan, the bank gives you a letter you take to the DMV to release the title, and then you go to the DMV to pick it up. Am I overthinking this or is there a good amount of risk there as a buyer? I called the bank the loan is through and they confirmed that this is how it's done there.

e: I called the DMV as well, and yup, there's just that risk that you pay off the loan, get the lien release, and then the seller runs out the front door into the woods and then you have to go after them in court with a bill of sale. Fun!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 12, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've said this in other places, but I can't recommend lightstream for car loans highly enough. Especially if you have good credit/income. They'll throw an unsecured auto loan into your bank account(with that good credit of course) and they apparently have a rate matching thing as well. That's kind of a pain in the dick to deal with but it's going to knock over a point off their rate.

shovelbum posted:

Also how do you guys handle the logistics of pre-purchase inspections on a car that is semi-desirable? My mechanic stays booked up well in advance and if I'm looking for a specific car that might sell fast that would be very hard to make line up.

Get lucky or have a backup shop. The deal on the M3 started proceeding super fast and I was lucky that a indy shop near the seller was able to get it in today.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I used Lightstream for my last auto loan a few years back. Got a 1.99% unsecured $12k loan wired right into my bank account the day after approval. I was shocked how cheap and easy it was.

Yeah, I got the same when I bought my S2000. Their rates are higher now but the ease of doing it makes it worth it, especially with the type of purchase I'm doing on this car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
When I moved to Denver I wore headphones in my rental truck the entire time, mainly to drown out the sound of my cats. I would have made it maybe 2 hours before driving into a bridge pillar at full speed without them. I see people driving with headphones regularly though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I wanted to know what phone you have because some manufacturers have car play but not Android auto, you weirdo.

BMW :argh:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The mark 4 golf sucked nine kinds of rear end mate

They're still everywhere though. None of their issues are really major things. Upgrade the coil packs and track down vacuum leaks on the 1.8t and you're good to go. The 2.slow probably drat near belongs in the engines that will survive the apocalypse rankings too. I'm trying to think of its period contemporaries that I see as often and I'm not really coming up with much. I'm sure this is probably a regional thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Current Gen M3/4 have a 1200 mile break in period and I'm pretty sure they're mechanically limited on how high they'll rev before it's done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you ever want a big lol look at VWs annual car sales in the us. the mark 4 almost caused the company to pull out of the US market because it was such an unmitigated piece of poo poo and disaster for the brand

:thunk:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

338k units in 2002 to 224k units in 2005 in the midst of a robust overall market is dire, man

A couple years into the model vs the last year of the model. Selling 100k less cars a year during the mk5 generation seems way worse to me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was not aware that every city I've been to was a rural area and that's why it's full of trucks. The more you know!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Luxury cars always charge insane money for basic options. Just look at Porsche.

Want a backup camera on your M3 in the years before they were legally required? That'll be $3500 please. Have some heated rear seats and a HUD as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'll recommend lightstream if you have good credit and income as well. Their rates will be randomly competitive, but if you have that whole good credit and income thing going for you it's the most painless loan you can get. They'll basically just throw money in your account with no questions asked. I'm on my second unsecured used car loan with them now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Proposed Budget: <$10k. The more under the better
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatch or wagon preferred
How will you be using the car?: Fairly regular 1400 mile round trip to see someone I'm dating. Hauling bikes/kayaks/snowboards etc...
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, mildly fun to drive, manual preferred, no cvt's, AWD would be a definite bonus for mountain duty but isn't a requirement.

I've been looking for something with a bit more utility for toys and whatever than my M3 for a while. I've started seeing someone back home so a long road trip at least once a month has also jumped into the fray and kind of kicked me into being serious about this. Up until now I'd primarily been focused on some of the ratty <$5k Subaru's that are all over Colorado since I wasn't anticipating that drive but I've opened the budget to get something that will probably have a little less wear and tear and that is somewhat less likely to die in the hellscape that is eastern colorado/the entire state of Kansas. I've owned multiple VW's so there are several of those in the mix even though I said reliability is a factor. I'd probably lean towards a TDI if I go this route. What else should I be looking at? I'll have to look at the Fit as mentioned on the last page as I've always kind of liked them and it might be a good choice. I also have this weird thing for a manual AWD Honda Element.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 3, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AWD manual Elements command stupid money at this point in my limited experience.

I'm going to go look at this one shortly. Their website has it listed at $6400 which seems to be a common price point for ones with well over 200k miles. I'll give the GX470 a look too. Fuel mileage isn't a huge concern but higher is better. I'm still impressed that my M3 gets 26 mpg+ on that trip. It's what it's rated for but I'm tuned and it still gets it. I'm 5'7" so I fit in everything fine.

E: it has a bad engine and they're probably not actually selling it because of that

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 3, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yikes that's too bad.

If you're seriously looking at Lexus SUVs, register at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ then you can enter any Lexus VIN and get a complete maintenance history.

Good thing about Lexus is most of them are maintained at the dealer. Don't be afraid of 200k+ miles at all if they have good records.

I'm kind of all over the place right now. I'm going down about 30 rabbit holes because there are a ton of cars that would work for me. I was just looking at Priuses(?) and CR-V's and a few other things.

How is the auto in the Element?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not sure on that, I've had bad experiences with Honda automatics, but apparently they've been much better recently.

If you're into boxy cars like the Element there's also the Kia Soul and Scion xB which are both very reliable.

I own a '15 xB and I can fit tons of poo poo in it. Have a roof rack on it for bikes and/or paddleboards, it's been a great DD for me no complaints. The automatic is very good and you can also get them in manual.

[e] if you look at the xB tho, make sure it's 2012 or later, the earlier 2nd gens had piston ring issues and burn oil

It's not necessarily the boxy thing, it's that it's available with AWD and a stick while not being a Subaru while being kind of uniquely cool. They're not super common and like KYOON GRIFFEY JR mentioned they'll go for pretty high prices. Most of the ones I've seen are similar to this other local one and have well over 200k miles and are listed at pretty high prices comparatively.

I'm also pretty much exclusively looking local too. I love traveling to grab cars but that's way less than ideal right now. I'll expand to looking in KC once I've narrowed things down as that's where I'm going to/from and would be fine grabbing a car there on one of my trips.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 3, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I don't really care about AWD that much. I think it's overkill in 99% of normal driving situations. It would be a slight bonus on some of the worst days going to the ski resorts, but those routes all get plowed often enough and I've never had any issues in a FWD car with snow tires. Hell, my only real concern in the M3 is if I get stopped on either side of the Eisenhower tunnel when they close it and basically get snowed in that way. Subaru's are really only in play because there are a shitload of them here, they're somewhat cheap, and I like wagons and hatches.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

The most I’ve ever used AWD is when parked on icy snowy parking lots

It works real well then

That's about the only time I've wished I'd had it as well.

Anyone here drive a Prius in winter? The discussions I'm seeing say it's either the best or the worst with no in between. The traction control being overly aggressive and making it worse does seem to be a common theme.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It's like any other car. It's the difference between proper snow tires and summers/worn out all seasons (note: worn out is not just tread depth, it's also age)

Cool, the complaints about the traction control basically killing you uphill would be my only real concern. It looks like the Gen 3 is better in that regard but most of those in my price range seem pretty beat up.

Something I'd forgotten about is the Chevy Volt. There are a decent amount of those in my price range as well. I'd basically never use gas around town with it which would be kind of cool.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I mean, you can blame it on the traction control, but if the TC is cutting it's because you'd just be spinning tires which still isn't going to get you up the hill. You can't suspension or software engineer that kind of traction: you have to have appropriate tires or chain up. (or add massive amount of weight, which still isn't always going to do it). What it comes down to is those are TINY tires, chosen to minimize rolling resistance (minimizes traction) so you have got to give the thing a chance with the right tires/chains/cables for the job.

I've seen complaints from people with proper tires. It's apparently a feature designed to protect the drivetrain and there's a maintenance mode you can put it in that will allow some wheelspin. It would be doable, just annoying to deal with.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I might go look at a Prius. I never thought I'd say that. It's a 2007, I think the top trim(?) with 107k miles and they're asking $6k.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

On one that old, probably check the battery.
Also, the only real problems on those cars is the water pump, which can leak.

Is there a way to check the battery without a PPI? I'm going to try and get a PPI set up if I decide I want it, but I'm not super worried about it if I can't make it happen. Luckily there's what looks to be a pretty good hybrid repair shop that's maybe 15 minutes away so if they aren't completely booked up I can probably make it happen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So basically if it's running, the dash isn't going all VW style with pretty colors, and it drives alright it's probably good to go?

e: I'll also see if I can see any leaks from the water pump. Once I look at it I'll pull the carfax if I'm interested. The owner doesn't physically have service records but it looks like there are probably a bunch of them.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 7, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a friend for whom the RAV4 prime or whatever it is would be a perfect vehicle but she also doesn't like the RAV4. She said it's something about the interior.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The weather was poo poo yesterday because it snowed so I didn't get to go look at that Prius. Looks like we're on for tonight though. I'm debating on what I'm going to offer if I like it. It's listed at $6,000 and I'd realistically be fine with that but I think I'll shoot for $5,500.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

It snowed in September? :crossarms:

https://i.imgur.com/XLKoTi4.mp4

Not a ton stuck since it was 90 the day before but there was a lot of snow.

Does anyone here do carfax reports for cash or is that frowned upon?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I'd also be interested in CarFax reports. Years ago there was a golden era where their API was open but I think that has been closed.

I can change my tune if this is considered :filez:

You can generally find someone advertising it on a lot of car forums. I didn't see anything in SA mart either.

e: if you search carfax in SA mart there's a post with a link that you just pay $5.60 to and you get it instantly.

e2: there's a 40k mile gap in service history in carfax that I assume is just from a place that doesn't report that I'll ask about but it has good records outside of that.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 9, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I drove the Prius and it drove like what I assumed a Prius drives like. There are a couple minor issues that I noticed. The spoiler is popped up a little and the rubber weather seals on the outside of the drivers side windows are disintegrating. Outside of that it has the typical dings and scratches I'd expect. The guy apparently used it as an airport car when he had a job he traveled for. Those things are pretty minor so I'm definitely going to think it over. It seems like it's still a good price for the mileage compared to what else I'm seeing locally.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

Now I’m curious what an airport car is in this context.

He drove it to and from the airport to fly for work. They moved here and have barely driven it as he doesn’t have to do that any more. I’m pretty sure I’m going to make an offer on it. I’d like something that might be a bit better in the mountains but everything else I’m looking at that’s even close to the price of this one has a shitload more miles and/it is in worse shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only two Priuses on my local CL at or under $4k with less than 200k miles are salvage titles, and even then one of those is still rocking most of its taxi wrap. A few weeks ago there was one that had over 300k which has clearly already sold.

There's a post on the front page of the Prius subreddit where some guy is asking about a second gen for something like $4000 and the comments are full of people that got one with half the miles with a new battery for $3000 and I want to know where they live.

I just ran across this hail damaged 2016 Hyundai Accent for $8500 and holy poo poo that's tempting. There's also a manual 2007 Tuscon for sale at a pretty good price that I might want to look at.