Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Mazda does this. They'll install carplay or android auto on basically everything with a screen from like 2013 on. They apparently do need to install some hardware, but it isn't that expensive.
This has caused Mazda to be my go to rec for cheap cars with AA/carplay.
Also, mazdas are great at everything except rust resistance if you buy an NA one.

Good on Mazda, they seem to get poo poo right most of the time. No reason why Toyota can't be doing the same thing.

Luckily my Scion is double din so i can get whatever i want put in it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Proposed Budget: <$10k. The more under the better
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatch or wagon preferred
How will you be using the car?: Fairly regular 1400 mile round trip to see someone I'm dating. Hauling bikes/kayaks/snowboards etc...
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, mildly fun to drive, manual preferred, no cvt's, AWD would be a definite bonus for mountain duty but isn't a requirement.

I've been looking for something with a bit more utility for toys and whatever than my M3 for a while. I've started seeing someone back home so a long road trip at least once a month has also jumped into the fray and kind of kicked me into being serious about this. Up until now I'd primarily been focused on some of the ratty <$5k Subaru's that are all over Colorado since I wasn't anticipating that drive but I've opened the budget to get something that will probably have a little less wear and tear and that is somewhat less likely to die in the hellscape that is eastern colorado/the entire state of Kansas. I've owned multiple VW's so there are several of those in the mix even though I said reliability is a factor. I'd probably lean towards a TDI if I go this route. What else should I be looking at? I'll have to look at the Fit as mentioned on the last page as I've always kind of liked them and it might be a good choice. I also have this weird thing for a manual AWD Honda Element.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 3, 2020

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

Proposed Budget: <$10k. The more under the better
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatch or wagon preferred
How will you be using the car?: Fairly regular 1400 mile round trip to see someone I'm dating. Hauling bikes/kayaks/snowboards etc...
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, mildly fun to drive, manual preferred, no cvt's, AWD would be a definite bonus for mountain duty but isn't a requirement.

I've been looking for something with a bit more utility for toys and whatever than my M3 for a while. I've started seeing someone back home so a long road trip at least once a month has also jumped into the fray and kind of kicked me into being serious about this. Up until now I'd primarily been focused on some of the ratty <$5k Subaru's that are all over Colorado since I wasn't anticipating that drive but I've opened the budget to get something that will probably have a little less wear and tear and that is somewhat less likely to die in the hellscape that is eastern colorado/the entire state of Kansas. I've owned multiple VW's so there are several of those in the mix even though I said reliability is a factor. I'd probably lean towards a TDI if I go this route. What else should I be looking at? I'll have to look at the Fit as mentioned on the last page as I've always kind of liked them and it might be a good choice. I also have this weird thing for a manual AWD Honda Element.

This sounds like a job for a Lexus GX470. It is very capable for your hobbies given that it's really a Land Cruiser Prado with leather and a Lexus badge for the North American market. It will also be a quiet highway cruiser. Finally, it will be far more reliable than a similarly priced Subaru or VW product. No, it is not fun to drive but I think you already have an M3 for that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
GX isn't a bad idea but they're loving thirsty

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

I also have this weird thing for a manual AWD Honda Element.

Manuals are a bit hard to find but they're out there. If you don't limit yourself to AWD there's even more. I imagine with the ground clearance the Element has FWD wouldn't be a problem at all on trails and poo poo. Even if you find one with high miles that was taken care of at least, you'd be golden they are pretty bulletproof.

[e] also a vote for the GX if fuel mileage isn't really a concern. Don't be afraid of high miles on a Lexus either.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AWD manual Elements command stupid money at this point in my limited experience.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

One specific concern about manual Honda Elements. If you are a tall or particularly long-legged person the driving position is terrible. I test drove one and the extreme angle I had to keep my left ankle at had it sore by the end of a very short loop of city and highway driving.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AWD manual Elements command stupid money at this point in my limited experience.

I'm going to go look at this one shortly. Their website has it listed at $6400 which seems to be a common price point for ones with well over 200k miles. I'll give the GX470 a look too. Fuel mileage isn't a huge concern but higher is better. I'm still impressed that my M3 gets 26 mpg+ on that trip. It's what it's rated for but I'm tuned and it still gets it. I'm 5'7" so I fit in everything fine.

E: it has a bad engine and they're probably not actually selling it because of that

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 3, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes that's too bad.

If you're seriously looking at Lexus SUVs, register at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ then you can enter any Lexus VIN and get a complete maintenance history.

Good thing about Lexus is most of them are maintained at the dealer. Don't be afraid of 200k+ miles at all if they have good records.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yikes that's too bad.

If you're seriously looking at Lexus SUVs, register at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ then you can enter any Lexus VIN and get a complete maintenance history.

Good thing about Lexus is most of them are maintained at the dealer. Don't be afraid of 200k+ miles at all if they have good records.

I'm kind of all over the place right now. I'm going down about 30 rabbit holes because there are a ton of cars that would work for me. I was just looking at Priuses(?) and CR-V's and a few other things.

How is the auto in the Element?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

I'm kind of all over the place right now. I'm going down about 30 rabbit holes because there are a ton of cars that would work for me.

This is me man. I'm trying to start my search over and find what actually works for me but this is hard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'm kind of all over the place right now. I'm going down about 30 rabbit holes because there are a ton of cars that would work for me. I was just looking at Priuses(?) and CR-V's and a few other things.

How is the auto in the Element?

Not sure on that, I've had bad experiences with Honda automatics, but apparently they've been much better recently.

If you're into boxy cars like the Element there's also the Kia Soul and Scion xB which are both very reliable.

I own a '15 xB and I can fit tons of poo poo in it. Have a roof rack on it for bikes and/or paddleboards, it's been a great DD for me no complaints. The automatic is very good and you can also get them in manual.

[e] if you look at the xB tho, make sure it's 2012 or later, the earlier 2nd gens had piston ring issues and burn oil

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 3, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Not sure on that, I've had bad experiences with Honda automatics, but apparently they've been much better recently.

If you're into boxy cars like the Element there's also the Kia Soul and Scion xB which are both very reliable.

I own a '15 xB and I can fit tons of poo poo in it. Have a roof rack on it for bikes and/or paddleboards, it's been a great DD for me no complaints. The automatic is very good and you can also get them in manual.

[e] if you look at the xB tho, make sure it's 2012 or later, the earlier 2nd gens had piston ring issues and burn oil

It's not necessarily the boxy thing, it's that it's available with AWD and a stick while not being a Subaru while being kind of uniquely cool. They're not super common and like KYOON GRIFFEY JR mentioned they'll go for pretty high prices. Most of the ones I've seen are similar to this other local one and have well over 200k miles and are listed at pretty high prices comparatively.

I'm also pretty much exclusively looking local too. I love traveling to grab cars but that's way less than ideal right now. I'll expand to looking in KC once I've narrowed things down as that's where I'm going to/from and would be fine grabbing a car there on one of my trips.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 3, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man I wish I would have known elements would command such a value.

Probably 10 years ago we had one and while it was good for carting the dogs around, we hated how it drove on the freeway because it’s a gigantic box that would just get pushed all over the place with wind.

We traded it in and the guy gave us slightly above blue book so I figured it was fair. I think they had just been discontinued.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you want AWD and stick your options are basically Subaru or Ze Germans.

Or used pickup trucks or very old SUVs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't the AWD Element not a "real AWD" FWD biased system anyway?

I mean compared to a Subaru system it's not really all that effective is it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nah it's perfectly effective. AWD in any variety pretty much only helps with go. sure if you have a managed center diff on a STi or whatever, that has some additional benefits, but if you're comparing say, a CR-V to an automatic Forester, there's functionally no difference in capability. The CR-V has a 100-0 default split and the Forester has a 90-10 default split which is uh pretty front biased.

The use cases where early Haldex AWD systems failed to engage happened in lab environments where there was zero (literally zero) available traction to the front wheels, so therefore the rear diff would not engage. this will never happen in the real world.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having had Subaru 50-50 split cars and a lot of normal transfer case 4wd vehicles, I was really impressed with the Haldex sytem in my XC70. The "newer" (my 06 had it) systems use active pumps to lock the clutch to the rear wheels very quickly. The design docs claim something like a quarter turn of slip. I don't know if it was that good, but if I was messing around in the snow it could really throw the rear end around. Do you know if the Element has a Haldex system or some other design? I vaguely remember the first Ridgeline having some wacky borg warner system that looked impressive on paper but didn't actually work that great?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah it's perfectly effective. AWD in any variety pretty much only helps with go. sure if you have a managed center diff on a STi or whatever, that has some additional benefits, but if you're comparing say, a CR-V to an automatic Forester, there's functionally no difference in capability. The CR-V has a 100-0 default split and the Forester has a 90-10 default split which is uh pretty front biased.

The use cases where early Haldex AWD systems failed to engage happened in lab environments where there was zero (literally zero) available traction to the front wheels, so therefore the rear diff would not engage. this will never happen in the real world.

As usual Kyoon on point. I think the olden days (10 years ago) of people complaining on forums about Audi switching to Haldex from Torsen are gone, or are perpetuated by people convinced of a placebo effect. I am skeptical even the most goony driver could tell the difference between moden Torsen and modern Haldex on a normal vehicle.

If you're talking about systems that need real offroad capability that's different, I'm not well educated on that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in case you want to know how Haldex V, the current iteration works, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbs9TeS6Qxo

basically, using ABS and wheel speed sensors to detect slip and then use hydraulic pressure to engage or disengage a clutch that routes power to the rear wheels

Honda's Intelligent AWD is a similar system, but I'm not sure who the exact vendor is.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a lot of people assume they're all like viscous coupling AWD systems, which I've never driven but definitely seem like an inferior solution.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

The kid will be taking their eyes off the road to gently caress with a screen. Sixteen year old children will literally value texting their friends over a risk to their life or anyone else's. Middle aged children will do the same thing and be even more petulant about it. The car-focused UIs will make it slightly safer.

She can't text if you buy her a stickshift. :unsmigghh:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

text with one hand, shift and drink coffee with the other, steer with your knee

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

powderific posted:

I feel like a lot of people assume they're all like viscous coupling AWD systems, which I've never driven but definitely seem like an inferior solution.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm in Florida so AWD isn't really much of a thing down here :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

text with one hand, shift and drink coffee with the other, steer with your knee

I've definitely done knee steering while holding a coffee and shifting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I don't really care about AWD that much. I think it's overkill in 99% of normal driving situations. It would be a slight bonus on some of the worst days going to the ski resorts, but those routes all get plowed often enough and I've never had any issues in a FWD car with snow tires. Hell, my only real concern in the M3 is if I get stopped on either side of the Eisenhower tunnel when they close it and basically get snowed in that way. Subaru's are really only in play because there are a shitload of them here, they're somewhat cheap, and I like wagons and hatches.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The most I’ve ever used AWD is when parked on icy snowy parking lots

It works real well then

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

The most I’ve ever used AWD is when parked on icy snowy parking lots

It works real well then

That's about the only time I've wished I'd had it as well.

Anyone here drive a Prius in winter? The discussions I'm seeing say it's either the best or the worst with no in between. The traction control being overly aggressive and making it worse does seem to be a common theme.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

I read shifting as making GBS threads and didn't bat an eye

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KillHour posted:

The one time I tried to steer, shift, and smoke (I'm not a smoker), things ended up a little ... ashy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

Anyone here drive a Prius in winter? The discussions I'm seeing say it's either the best or the worst with no in between.

It's like any other car. It's the difference between proper snow tires and summers/worn out all seasons (note: worn out is not just tread depth, it's also age)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It's like any other car. It's the difference between proper snow tires and summers/worn out all seasons (note: worn out is not just tread depth, it's also age)

Cool, the complaints about the traction control basically killing you uphill would be my only real concern. It looks like the Gen 3 is better in that regard but most of those in my price range seem pretty beat up.

Something I'd forgotten about is the Chevy Volt. There are a decent amount of those in my price range as well. I'd basically never use gas around town with it which would be kind of cool.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

KillHour posted:

My dad used to steer with his knees, both hands eating a sandwich, and had 7 year old me shift gears while he worked the clutch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

Cool, the complaints about the traction control basically killing you uphill would be my only real concern.

To be fair, I had a Crown Vic that did the same thing, on a slick hill it was worthless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

Cool, the complaints about the traction control basically killing you uphill would be my only real concern. It looks like the Gen 3 is better in that regard but most of those in my price range seem pretty beat up.

I mean, you can blame it on the traction control, but if the TC is cutting it's because you'd just be spinning tires which still isn't going to get you up the hill. You can't suspension or software engineer that kind of traction: you have to have appropriate tires or chain up. (or add massive amount of weight, which still isn't always going to do it). What it comes down to is those are TINY tires, chosen to minimize rolling resistance (minimizes traction) so you have got to give the thing a chance with the right tires/chains/cables for the job.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

To be fair, I had a Crown Vic that did the same thing, on a slick hill it was worthless.

I feel like my Grand Marquis had remarkably bad ABS and traction control. If a wheel skidded at all it would lose like half of its braking power when the ABS kicked in, and in snow having the traction control on was worse than having it off in any situation I encountered. It was my first car with ABS so I assumed they were all like that, but every car I've owned since has been way better.

For the Prius, I mentioned this somewhere up thread, but at least in the early year I think the eco tires were bad enough in snow it was almost like running summer tires, which may account for some of the bad reports.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I mean, you can blame it on the traction control, but if the TC is cutting it's because you'd just be spinning tires which still isn't going to get you up the hill. You can't suspension or software engineer that kind of traction: you have to have appropriate tires or chain up. (or add massive amount of weight, which still isn't always going to do it). What it comes down to is those are TINY tires, chosen to minimize rolling resistance (minimizes traction) so you have got to give the thing a chance with the right tires/chains/cables for the job.

I've seen complaints from people with proper tires. It's apparently a feature designed to protect the drivetrain and there's a maintenance mode you can put it in that will allow some wheelspin. It would be doable, just annoying to deal with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

I feel like my Grand Marquis had remarkably bad ABS and traction control. If a wheel skidded at all it would lose like half of its braking power when the ABS kicked in, and in snow having the traction control on was worse than having it off in any situation I encountered.

Yeah, ABS and TC were shockingly bad on a lot of stuff back in those days. I have to pull the ABS fuse on my '97 discovery when I'm off roading because it's almost killed me once during a steep hill descent.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm looking at a 2015 Subaru Legacy, in great shape, in my price range, the only issue is the screen on the car has lines checker-boarding it, and its kind of dim. This makes me think that the screen is on the way out, and looking online shows that replacing this is about 2000 dollars, which would put the car at more than I want to spend. Am I right to be concerned about this or will the screen be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Hello car buying thread. Never visited this forum before but I'm looking for recommendations on a specific car: 2010 Honda Insight.

My friend's parents (who I trust) bought this car new and have performed regular maintenance. It has 160k miles. I have an opportunity to buy it for blue book value but they live several hours away and I need to make this call sight unseen, and I need to make it by the end of the weekend. I'm not familiar with this model at all so I'm trying to learn everything I can about it.

My needs:
-I'd like to not have to buy another car for a while.
-I'm not very proficient in maintenance more complicated than performing a jump start. (Yes, I should learn more.)
-I'm mainly a city driver but take occasional highway trips or go camping.
-I have one toddler in a car seat and do not plan for more kids.
-Easy handling is important to me; I'd like something that doesn't turn like a boat.

Any insights are appreciated. Thank you!