Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It looks like I may be moving to a more mountainous area (Switzerland) pretty soon and if it comes off I am going to need to buy a car there fairly rapidly. I've been living in London so haven't needed a car in 15 years but this is going to be a different situation.

Proposed Budget: CHF25k (about the same as in USD)
New or Used: used
Body Style: coupe probably
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, driving to the mountains
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: I'd just like it to have a decent sound system and probably parking sensors
What aspects are most important to you?

I'd like it to be reasonably fun to drive though I go a lot more sedately than I used to. It's going to need to be a hard top because of getting loving cold in winter. Critically it needs to be able to get a bicycle in it, wheels off is fine but a key function will be getting my girlfriend to track races. No kids, really just the 2 of us and I would like a coupe or sports car style because why not.

I think I basically want a previous generation Audi TT and probably a 4WD version. Cars and everything else are more expensive in Switzerland and it looks like a pain to import from the EU, but 25k looks to get a 5-6 year old quattro TT with 60000km on the clock.

Further up the thread people were saying 4WD is a bit pointless but it seems like a reasonable idea in proper mountains and snow, is that correct?

Are there other cars that would fit the bill that I should think about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks all. Yeah I don't think the beloved track bike would be allowed on the outside. She has to take everything apart to change gearing so it's no problem to have both wheels off.

We are both malnourished Europeans so 5'8". A Golf would work well as would an A3 but wanted something slightly less grey, I will check out the BMWs and Volvos.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Colonel J posted:

I'm just not sure if buying a 5k$ CRV is that good an idea if I'm going to use it infrequently (like once or twice a week max, for distances > 50km). Has anyone here ever done the "rent a car as needed" thing instead of buying one? I'm really not sure if money could be saved that way.

I live in London at the moment which I suppose is a similar situation as there is good public transport, and no need for a car unless visiting people elsewhere in the country. Renting a car when you need one makes a lot of sense if it's just for a few days every couple of months or so, and the rental companies here will deliver the car to you and pick it up at the end so there is almost no hassle. If you can work out some way you qualify for a discount (military for me) it really keeps the cost down. I think it would need to be more than 1 trip per month for it to be worthwhile for me to get a car here.

Pay per hour car clubs used to be handy but I just get Ubers for little trips now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

It looks like I may be moving to a more mountainous area (Switzerland) pretty soon and if it comes off I am going to need to buy a car there fairly rapidly. I've been living in London so haven't needed a car in 15 years but this is going to be a different situation.

I think I basically want a previous generation Audi TT and probably a 4WD version. Cars and everything else are more expensive in Switzerland and it looks like a pain to import from the EU, but 25k looks to get a 5-6 year old quattro TT with 60000km on the clock.

Well. This has all taken a while but I thought I would follow up. I worked out I could spend a bit more and having looked at various things (especially including Caymans) I decided to get a current model TTS (so 310hp S-Tronic and AWD) with 25000 km on the clock. I really like it, it seems pretty quick and is not completely impractical. The interior is really awesome. Still has a 3 year warranty and comes with winter tyres as well as the summer ones.

Here is a pic :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

EvilMerlin posted:

My SO has a 2018 F-Pace model S.

We tried all the "luxury" SUVs. BMW's are driven by arrogant twats around here, so we skipped them. No Mercedes because everything is an option from the drat wind shield wipers to the seats and to get something nice similar to the F-Pace you were deep into the 90k range. The Landrovers just were blah and suffer from serious reliability issues (which is weird because Jags are mostly the same thing now that Tata owns them both). The Alfa Romero Stelvio was small (More like the E-Pace). The Maserati Levanti was nice, but again, small. And lets not mention to compete with HP/TQ and performance of the F-Pace S, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 85k. Optioned up like the F-Pace S, it was drat near 100k.

loving thing is amazing.

She got it in Caesium Blue with the black package. Slick looking ride and VERY comfortable.

That's a great looking car. I'd love a F-Type, though it would be a bit "British Expat Twat".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheReverend posted:

Proposed Budget: 40K give or take.
New or Used: New or slightly used( < 22 k miles or so)
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly driving 9 miles to work. Getting groceries. Occasional trips to see different sets of family about an hour away (30 - 50 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. I'm thinking either luxury or sporty but not sure. I'll give some examples of cars I've recently test driven and what I thought. Maybe goons can help me get my life in order!

Summary: I used to drive 130 miles a day to get to work. Now I drive less than 20 (rounds tip totals).
Currently have a Prius (thanks for the recommendation, thread). It works. It has 150K miles on it but I'm not exactly thrilled with it as it's a very utilitarian car. I'll probably keep driving it until expensive repairs are needed but I'm wondering "what's next?". I haven't had a car I liked in a while so I'm investigating.

Some of this may also be "pre midlife crisis" as there is a baby on the way. So I'll need a car I can put a baby seat in. I guess this means no Corvettes?

I recently test drove:

* Model 3: Holy gently caress did I enjoy this car. Only problem is that it's pretty pricey, and I'm afraid by the time the 35K dollar one rolls around it'll be gimped. The one I test drove was the Extended range and I loved all the tech and the torque available at any speed.

* Mustang GT: I'm a big ole goon and I'm surprised by how much room was in the driver's seat. Accelerated like a boss but with some hard shifts. I think it had all the minimal features I'd want but with 450 hp or something ridiculous.

* ES350: Not sure what's the difference between this and a nice trim Avalon? meh.

* GS350: A little bit more fun than the ES I guess?!

* Honda Accord Touring V6: Yeah it's a car alright... HUD is kinda neat.

My commute is rather bland. Either traffic heavy highways or traffic heavy background. Usually only takes 15- 20 minutes to get there in the AM and 20- 25 in the PM. I guess having a fuckoff powerful car doesn't make sense as I'm not going faster than 35 - 45 ? So maybe something more luxurious?

Or maybe I shouldn't try to find excitement in happiness in a car and just find better hobbies?!

I don't know. I do know I digged that Model 3 though. Would it last past the first 90 days? Seems like a bit of a gamble.

This is my E/N car post I guess!

I'd say having a fuckoff powerful car makes the most sense on a shorter commute. You could get a S5 coupé for that money, as an alternative to what you've identified already. I had a similar dilemma, I wanted something sporty-ish but basically for commuting and bought a TTS. While it's a great car if you're a big lad you probably won't fit too well.

Something like this looks in budget.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=496040199

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 17, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheReverend posted:

I've been avoiding German cars because I hear stories about how expensive they are to keep running. Is VW/Audi better in that regard compared to BMW/Mercedes?

Because that car does look nice!

I think other people on here have more wide experience than me but I don't think you should have reservations in terms of reliability with an Audi that's a couple of years old. I read on here that in the US they are not considered as reliable as American cars, I live in a country where at a guess 50% of cars are German and it's not like cars are constantly going wrong all over the shop.

I am sure a supercharged 4wd Audi will cost more to service than a Mustang though.

To be honest I think you should ignore both running costs and your impending child and get an F-type https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497315567

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phone posted:

Ford F Stripped Chassis

Wow that looks straight out of the 50s.

My family had one (1) interesting car in my childhood which was a Gen2 Celica Supra in 2-tone silver/blue. Still think the design rules:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Time to book in at some dealers I think, before I over-research and end up expanding the list again.

It might be worth going to one of the car supermarkets like Cargiant or Motorpoint who would have a range of different makes and models, if you're close enough. A girlfriend a while back got a VW from Cargiant and they seemed fine.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

nm posted:

I will say the lane departure stuff in the Hyundai/Kia rental cars enterprise seems to be renting these days is actually pretty solid and not intrusive. None of the rental cars I've had has had ACC. They have had collision warnings (I think they just beep, but I never in a situation where I got close), some blind spot coverage, and some that weird backup thing with cars coming. I've been pretty impressed with them.

I rented a Hyundai Tucson a couple of weeks ago and both the lane assist and the cruise (non-adaptive) were way less good than my 2016 Audi. Both systems were a bit jerky and actually made it a less comfortable trip than just doing it myself. I stopped using them in the end.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Q3 sucks for what it’s worth, it feels like a VW and is priced like an Audi.

I was thinking this in the Audi / VW dealers the other day. The current Tiguan looks loads better than the Q3.

(I also paid a horrifying amount for a service, going to take it to France next time the light goes on)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Freshly Cut Cedar posted:

My old car kicked the bucket. Need a new one. I am generally lacking in car knowledge.

Proposed Budget: Under $20k USD
New or Used: Used, seems like the way to go for value
Body Style: I'm thinking a hatchback, not sure if crossover or compact SUV is a good idea too. 4 door with folding back seats and trunk door is what I'm looking for.
How will you be using the car?: I've got a real short commute so it'd mostly be for errands and random trips out of town.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: My last car was a 2000 Honda Accord. If it didn't break down and require repairs that were more than it was worth I'd probably still be driving it. So probably not really? Might enjoy some gizmos when I have them though. I usually tend towards utilitarian over luxury.
What aspects are most important to you? I am a boring person and know very little about cars. Main thing I care about is reliability. I plan to keep this car for a significant period of time. My only complaint with the Accord was the inability to store large things in the back on occasion. I live in Wisconsin, so winters are a thing I have to deal with.

I read the thread a bit back and did some googling and see that the common recommendations are Mazda 3, Honda Civic Hatchback (although I am a boring person with few car opinions I gotta say the recent iteration of these is not to my taste aesthetically, if it's really what's right though I might be able to deal with it) Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla. I've seen the Hyundai Elantra GT recommended elsewhere. In the SUVish domain I saw recommendations for Rav4 and CR-V. Again, not sure if this is something I should consider over a regular hatchback.

I appreciate any and all guidance.

Cayenne Turbo

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ciaphas posted:

So first, anyone tried living day to day with just a motorcycle and not a car? Huge pain in the rear end, tolerable one, ???

I had just a bike for several years. Similar deal to what's been suggested, I used a car club or just rented if I actually needed a car for something.

That was in London so cars make less sense anyway. It's sometimes not that fun in really lovely weather but good kit makes it more tolerable.

Bikes are awesome.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ciaphas posted:

Since I'd have to leave the bike there, paranoia question: theft! Anyone who owns a bicycle knows to never leave it alone with a nice seat or accessories or whatever because of how easy it is to run off with (parts of) it, "locked" or not. How much do I need to think about that sort of thing for their motorized cousins?

Depends massively on where you live. It's not so much (IME) a problem of bits getting nicked off the bike, more that they are pretty valuable and even a fairly big bike can just be picked up by a couple of big lads and put in the back of a van, if it's not chained down.

You want to park it in a garage at home and probably still chain it down to a ground anchor set in the floor. When you're out and about you probably need to chain it to something, even if that's just putting the chain through one on another bike. A cover is good to keep it out of sight / mind.

I don't really do any of this here in Switzerland but there is really not very much crime. Normally a disc lock if I park in town.

The Zeros look good and I'd consider one for my next bike. Have a look over in Cycle Asylum, there's someone there who has one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

My motorcycle experience to date involves riding a 125cc dirt bike around a parking lot a few afternoons. And I rode a scooter in Europe a few times.

You’re right I should buy a Ducati.

You probably need a RSV4. 217hp

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/rsv4/rsv4-factory-1100-4s4v-2020/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

teh_Broseph posted:

Proposed Budget: $15,000-30,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact sedan/hatch
How will you be using the car?: Plain in medium sized city driving with carseated kids, going to daycare, occasional grocery/restaurant stuff. For any long distance trips and all we'd take my wife's CUV.
What aspects are most important to you? Manual, fun driving, gizmos are neat, want nice audio, big enough to fit two kids and maybe soccer bags or whatnot when the day comes.
3. US

GTI

You will have a lot of fun with a Golf R and it's in budget.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Scionix posted:

She has started to look at up-market luxury options, like the Lexus UX, Porsche Macan, BMW X1, Audi Q8, and Volvo XC60. My inclination is to tell her to avoid the BMW/Audi/Volvo like the plague, but I could be wrong. The Macan and UX seem reliable enough, but I'm not entirely sure. Anything I'm missing?

An X1 and a Q8 are at the opposite ends of the pricing scale. Audi make a Q5 hybrid (Q5 55 tfsi-e) that would be in budget. I expect Kyoon to be in shortly with info on reliability but I'd think it would be a great car. My brother had an X1 and it was frankly pretty dreadful and he's switched it for a Skoda Kodiaq (which I know you can't get in the US but is a great car).

A new Macan will go out of budget as soon as you touch the options list, there's a hybrid version coming out next year but will for sure be out of budget. People love Macans, but it will be a step up in running costs even compared to the other German options. It basically meets none of your criteria of "Reliability, cost of ownership, comfort, space. Hybrid a plus."

A colleague has just got an XC60 and loves it. There's a plug-in hybrid version that is just in budget.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

200k will get you a really nice 911 turbo S which you will be able to get both dogs in, and also a nice hatchback or wagon. Commuting in a Lamborghini sounds awful (not that I've ever driven one) and carting 2 dogs around in one sounds even worse.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/911-Turbo-S-220385

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 11, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Having winter tyres also costs basically zero extra money because you're not wearing down your summers and still spend the same amount on them overall (plus a few bucks for changing them over etc).

Thinking about it if anyone wants a free set of Pilot Alpins and can pick them up from western Switzerland let me know! They weren't taken when I sold my car.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Not a specific car recommendation but if you're doing those distances a good adaptive cruise control with active lane keeping will be a godsend. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick when I got my last car but it does reduce your workload for driving the car.

Traffic sign recognition is also pretty handy for reminding you about speed limits.

Idk which of those suggested brands and models does it best. Audi's is the best I've used.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Priodes

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

This is true.

10 year old me wanted a New Porsche 993.

20 year old me wanted a New Porsche/Ferrari.

Mid 30s me realized 10 year old me was right.

Looking at Ferraris this year I discovered that a) nope still can't afford a new one and b) even if I could I really don't want one.

A 360 Modena is at a pretty sweet spot at the moment price wise though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do you get the Mitsubishi L200 in the States? I've often had small pickups for work in military training areas in the UK, normally Ford Rangers but also L200s or an occasional Hilux. Out of those the L200s have been better off road and they are pretty cheap from what I can tell. No reliability issues with any of them, but only had them a few weeks each.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Traffic jam assist where the car starts/stops/steers is magic. I agree with other posters that adaptive cruise makes longer journeys much less tiring, especially if the lane following is good (Audi and Porsche ) have both been great for me. I would find it pretty hard to park my car without a reversing camera because the view out the back is so poo poo and the car is pretty big. Blind spot warning is probably more of a nice to have as I do a shoulder check anyway, ingrained from biking.

I'd like an auto horn feature to beep at people who pull into a different lane without looking on the autoroute.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Valtis posted:

Proposed Budget: 22000€ (give or take)
New or Used: Preferably new
Body Style: Not super important for me.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute, approx. 2x20 minutes, urban environment. Occasional (maybe once every month or two) longer drive on highways, possibly with 1 - 2 passengers.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): I want a boring and not too expensive car. I'm willing to pay for any safety devices though, if not included in base model. MPG is nice as well, gas is expensive around here (7.8 dollars per gallon if I did not mess the conversions).

I live in Northern Europe. Mostly I want a car to shorten my commute (1h on public transport to 15 - 20min on car), and COVID has made me reconsider public transportation in general. Being able to move around bit more freely in general is a bonus.

Toyota Yaris seems to fit my needs based on my research, especially the hybrid version looks nice from MPG PoV. Friend recommended a Ford Fiesta as well. I'm not really a car person though, so I'd like to hear a second opinion or two before I commit into buying one.

You're pretty much in ideal hybrid territory. Also if you have a garage and/or charging at work have you considered an EV? A used Hyundai Kona would be in range.

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/hyundai-kona-advantage-elektro-2wd-elektro-schwarz-64a3a63c-d708-4c92-990a-f49c456d9ad0

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What country are you in that uses € and has car prices that high?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Valtis posted:

Finland.

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/product/hagglund-bv206-diesel/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How is a hitch mount going to work with something as long as a tandem?

It could go on the roof if you have a minivan.

I'm guessing you don't get the VW Transporter based vehicles in the States?

https://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.ch/de/modelle/multivan-6-1.html

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dude should at least try a Golf if "fun to drive" is anywhere on the radar.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: now that I think back on it my car progression over the last three new dailies has been small coupe, compact hatchback, compact wagon so I'm sure either bigger wagon or CUV is next

RS6, clearly

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Dark Wind posted:

A bit of a weird question but ah what the heck: Barring anything unexpected, I should be paying off my car loan this Friday. Career has been really good to me last 2 years (knock on wood) and was able to pay off my car much faster than expected. It's a 2019 Kia Optima. I just had the crazy idea of considering trading it in for an older used electric vehicle. Is this a bad idea? I haven't thought about this for more than the last hour so feel free to tell me I'm stupid. Mainly considering it because I miss my old hybrid (Prius) and how fuel efficient it was, and figuring it'd be nice to make the jump to full electric for both economic and environmental reasons. My apartment has tons of EV charger parking spots too which helps. With all the remote work lately, I hardly find myself driving my car more than a handful of times a month either way, so my car needs are very simple. Anyone here done something like this before and was satisfied/upset about it in hindsight?

Edit: Also I checked the KBB value for the Kia using their online tool and it's telling me I can get pretty close to what I paid for it as a trade-in value, if that helps put things in perspective

I didn't trade in for a used car but yes this is more or less my situation. The key factor is having good charging at home, and secondarily good fast charging on any long trips you frequently make. Check out those chargers at your apartment because some of them are a bit of a scam in terms of the rate they cost per kWh.

If you have good charging at home it's pretty amazing. From day to day you don't ever go to a gas station, the car is just ready for you to use. There are frequent debates here about the environmental benefits but what is clear is that they are loads less polluting locally, and probably overall. Performance is also generally awesome compared to a gasoline car.

For me, the question about your move is whether there is a used EV model that sufficiently meets your needs. I think you might find the used options a bit uninspiring until the current wave of new models (ioniq 5, id4 etc) makes its way through the market.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

360 degree cameras are transformational if you have a car with poo poo visibility or is big.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nomyth posted:

Proposed Budget: The big boy job I got last year is starting to give me the (over)confidence I need to look at sporty and/or legitimately hot cars and destroying their warranties with a tune as soon as I'm tempted.

For fun per $ nothing will get close to a supermoto, get a license, gear, training and a used DRZ-400SM for $5k all in.

bergeoisie posted:

Currently, I'm leaning towards a new AWD Sienna and a CPO X3 M40 that I can get a "we cover all service" warranty on. Now please tell me why I should actually get 2 Priuses.

You should look at a Macan if you can get the child seats in the back. I moaned in AI about a loaner bass Macan I had for a bit but once I'd taken it up to the mountains a couple of times it made a load more sense as an upgrade over a regular SUV, compared to when I was just trundling round town.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 28, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Golf R.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Blind Rasputin posted:

My wife and I are in the market for a car to replace my ailing 2013 Ford Focus stick shift with motor mounts so worn it sounds like I’m leaving orbit every time I drive it, and the clutch is starting to get quite jiggly when I’m accelerating up hills. I also got pretty roughened up by this last winter in the PNW. My job means I have to drive in to work regardless of weather. I made it every night with chains on our Ford Escape, but it’s sucked hard. Even with winter tires, the hills and commute are just rough when it dumps and freezes then turns to icy slush.

Raptor

Or, Ariel Nomad
https://www.arielna.com/arielnomad-sport

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ruggan posted:

I’m looking at a budget of around $50k but preferably less. I’ve narrowed it down to some form of top trim hybrid RAV4 or an Audi Q3 or Q5 (although I could be convinced to try other makes / models). I have kids that I’ll occasionally drive around but we already have a family car (Subaru Ascent) so I don’t need a ton of regular passenger or cargo space. I’m mostly going to be driving the car back and forth to work on my daily commute.

I really like the Audis but the RAV4 just feels more practical, both in terms of gas mileage and space. But the Audis feel nicer to drive and are a bit more comfortable, which seems like it would be a way nicer experience for a 60 minute daily round trip commute.

Any thoughts?

$50k gets you a lot of car but with corresponding maintenance costs. Macan S that's a couple of years old is in range.

If you already have a child transporter why do you need a SUV? S5 Sportback (or an A5 and a bunch of money). Any chance of more info on your wants / needs?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=587596041

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

skipdogg posted:

Semi-Comedy option, you can get a hell of a deal on a Buick Envision.

I had to look up what that was. Not surprised they're not sold here in Eurrp.

An Audi isn't going to explode like an Alfa as soon as it leaves its warranty period.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Hrmm, so I want to get a car, and there are a few options I have in mind but I'm not car-smart enough to pick between them. Here's what we're working with:

Proposed Budget: <40k pref <30k
New or Used: used / no pref
Body Style: coupe, sedan or hatch
How will you be using the car?: It'll be a second vehicle -- one that allows me to leave the snowplow hooked up to my truck all winter, and one that can stay clean and not have filthy dogs riding in it ever. So pretty much entirely for fun, though I expect I will use it for most of my daily driving.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I'd like something that is nice and modern and feels nice and modern, but I don't really have any specific hard requirements here. Currently drive a 2014 Tacoma that has a pretty basic bitch interior.
What aspects are most important to you? Absolutely must be AWD because I live in a very wintery place and I have grown to love Subies + pickups for it. I also live like 4 miles down an unpaved road that is solid ice 3-4 months a year. That said,- I want something fast and sporty that sounds good. Reliability should be decent, at least not something that is a moneypit. Not a Tesla.

The obvious contenders in my mind, are in order: STI, Golf R and Focus RS.

I think my first uncertainty is deciding between the STI and the Golf -- I've owned 2 Subarus and love them, but the Golf seems really competitive. Second big question would be if I'm missing some obvious choices from the whole range of older Audis, BMWs, Mercs, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

997 carrera 4

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There are some interesting EVs on the market but depending on your price point only really since this year has there been much choice.

They're also hugely variable in terms of range, power and price so a good recommendation is going to need some idea of what your needs are. You can ask in the EV thread in AI and probably have the benefit of starting an argument where everyone defends their purchase to the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

All depends on the deal, too, right? The Audi dealer were offering me ridiculous deals on e-trons with an incredibly inflated guaranteed final value. I didn't want an e-tron but if I did it would have made financial sense (new car buying being BWM notwithstanding)