Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey dudes, I never post in AI but I got here from the link in one of the stickies. I read the last few pages and the OP but sorry if this post is deficient in some way!

The time has come when my 2004 Mazda 3 is more trouble/cost than its worth and I need a new ride. I want to spend about 15k - I have a little flexibility but on the other hand the less the better really because I am not a huge car guy. I don't give a poo poo about new or used, body style, even cargo space etc is not very important. I'm mostly just using the car as a daily driver and am not a big car enthusiast or anything. But I do want something that is at least as good as the 3 in terms of zip and agility, and ideally it would be quieter inside than the 3 is; my main complaint with it is that it is a bit noisy on highways and so on. Also reliability is a plus.

So what should I be looking at?

I was kinda thinking about a used Volt because the 2-3 year old ones seem to sink in value despite being decent cars, and saving a bit on gas would be nice, but maybe there is some good reason that they fall off so bad that I don't know of!

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks for your time and advice AI.

Oh wow now I realize this thread is in Ask/Tell and not AI, boy is there egg on my face!

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used, I'm currently looking at 2014+
Body Style: 4 door hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (15-30 minute commute), occasional multi-state trip, able to handle gravel/country roads/streams without concern (a rare but likely event), possibly a cross-country move in the next few years.
What aspects are most important to you? Costs and functionality: reliability, MPG, cargo, comfort. I'm not against other nice perks, but they're not my primary concern. I'll probably get it repainted rather than try to find one in orange.

Currently I'm looking at Mazda3 and Fusion. It seems that Mazda3 had some sort of revision in 2014 that improved a lot of things and bumped MPG way up, so I'm looking at there or newer. It's harder to say if there was a recent revision or not for the Fusion, but I'd probably be looking at a similarly-recent car just to keep mileage low and increase the chances of still having a manufacturer warranty active.

I am not a huge car guy but I was recently in a similar situation, with similar budget and priorities except that I am basically never on country roads. I narrowed it down to a manual 2014 Ford Focus vs a variety of manual or auto 2014 Mazda 3s. I went with the Focus and could not be happier with it and saved at least a couple thousand vs what a same year 3 with similar mileage in my area would have cost. But if you want an auto, avoid the Focus and go with the 3 instead. That said I was about 95% looking at manuals and so I ruled out a lot of cars as too fuckin hard to actually find to purchase used in my area. FWIW my previous car was a 2004 3S and it gave me 12+ problem free years and 6 months of being a piece of poo poo.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

People in AI are always showing up and saying "They're selling X car for only 15k! (when it's some 20k msrp car)" How do people tell this? Is it just incentives, both national and local? Or is it negotiation? Or both?

For example, right now I see there's 4k "cash back" on a Ford Focus Hatchback SE, which (with a manual) has a "build and price" cost of ~18k. So they're really selling them for 14k? Or is that "cash back" some kind of gimmick, like bonus cash they roll into the total you finance.

Basically I don't trust a dealership to tell me what their various incentives mean.

Also the Ford "build and price" tool is telling me I can only choose their (CVT?) automatic, is that true? I would only ever buy a Focus in stick, so if they dropped that from the car ~whelp.

Yeah they stopped doing manuals on the regular focuses the past year or two.

If you don't mind a 2014 or 2015 you can get a manual focus quite cheaply and they are great cars. That was my recent used car purchase, would recommend. I found it very tough to find anything that was a better value assuming you're going to drive it until it dies. The poo poo tier auto transmission really sunk the resale on all of them.