Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/hicksville-kia-rio-2005/7163471229.html
My car just blew up and is on the path to totalling itself with repairs. I don't have a lot of money right now, am I deranged to think something like this might.be a good idea? Outside of reliability and safety I really don't care, just I'm not at all familiar with Kias od this vintage and don't know if they're at all trustworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It's more than slow. It's a total loss of power for anywhere between .5 and 1.5 seconds. Honestly it's borderline dangerous if you ever needed power suddenly for any reason. It also then overcorrects because your natural reaction is to push down a little harder on the gas, so then you shoot past the gear you want into super-high gear. It's atrocious.

Do the RPMs surge with your lack of power? If so sounds like the transmission is slipping. Every case is different but when I had low transmission fluid it would slip every time I tried giving it more than 25% gas. Another telltale sign of low transmission fluid (in most cars anyway) is slippage during left turns.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think anything made in the last 20 years is actually dangerously slow, most cars are powerful enough to get out of their owm way. That being said, if you could find a used Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe (same car) they're bulletproof, have amazing space utilization, get good gas milage and can generally be found cheap. An AWD is somewhat unnecessary, and would be horrifically slow but finding a FWD one with a stick they can be kind of fun in their own right.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is this priced fairly, and also would it be a bad idea to pay a car payment for a Mazdaspeed 6 as a daily driver?
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/21706351

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Alright this is definitely what I need to hear. Thank you for talking me out of this lol.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Are AMC Javelins with the I6 and manual transmissions easily obtainable? A short google search proved fruitless but I feel like that would a be a cool old car to work on (and I seem to remember some of those old I6s being more powerful than a lot of the V8s of the time due to it breathing a lot better.)

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

A WJ Grand Cherokee (especially with the 4.0l) wouldn't be a bad bet. With the 4.0l it's got a real deal transfer case, has super comfortable seats, easy to get in/out of, and best of all you could get a real nice one for $4k. That being said, drive it hard, and test the brakes. The transmissions on them are not the most reliable, and the the brake calipera have a really nasty habit of locking up. I wouldn't really consider a "cross-over" but it's about the size of modern CRVs and it doesn't sound like you actually want a CUV.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Hey AI. I just graduated college and about to start my first full-time job. I've been driving a 2006 Mazda 3 for the time being, which has been good so far but the car has some impending maintenance that I don't think would make sense to carry out (lifters are making noise, a synchro is bad and the rest are pretty worn, paint is faded badly in some parts etc.) Instead, I'd look to get something similar in better shape for more of a long haul. In the mean time I plan on driving the doors off on this thing, but I'd like to start looking for other stuff before I'm forced to either fix or get rid of it. I really enjoy the driving dynamics of the Mazda, so something relatively light would be a plus. Good gas mileage would also be nice, but anything that'll get 24+ would be good enough.
Proposed Budget: ~$4-5k (tentative)
New or Used: Used, preferably not from a dealer.
Body Style: Anything but an SUV/CUV (Wagon would be best, and 4/5 doors preferred but not essential.)
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commute to my job with the occasional hour long commute into the city. I will be moving soon but I don't expect to do too much moving with the car. If any I typically only have 1 passenger but having 4/5 seats is definitely preferable for the few occasions I would need it.
What aspects are most important to you?: Three pedals are non-negotiable. After that, reliability/ease of servicing is the top priority. Something that's pretty fun (not necessarily fast) would be a huge plus, but not at the expense of reliability. As for gizmos, less is more. I'd be happy with nothing but A/C and a stereo. I despise most infotainment touchscreen stuff but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for something that's otherwise good (though probably isn't a problem at my price range haha). I live on Long Island in NY at the time being, though I have a sister moving to Atlanta so I'm keeping there on my radar as well. Also definitely get a good amount of snow around here, so something that'll do reasonably well with a set of snow tires is essential as well.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

KillHour posted:

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people.

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a wagon and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

M
I
A
T
A
It stands for: Always Buy a Ford Excursion

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

(Just buy an old V10 Excursion. I swear nothing will go wrong.)

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah a newer Civic is a much better bet than an older Legacy, especially considering the astronomical milage on that one you posted. The fact that you know the service history of the Civic is also a huge point in favor of the Civic. Plus Subaru boxers have had their fair share of issues (Oil-consumption, overheating, head gaskets, etc.).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I understand you didn't go in here to get criticized for your driver habits but it sounds pretty concerning. I also have very bad ADHD to the point I never stop fiddling with stuff while driving. I also had a lot of trouble with getting distracted and being caught off guard by people in front of me. It turns out I was following them way too closely. Give cars in front of you proper space, riding people's asses won't make them go any faster and it just makes things more dangerous for everybody. It's also a good idea to watch further up the road instead of getting tunnel vision for the person in front of you. Better driving habits can more than make up for even the worst (unmedicated) ADD. Relying on the cars sensors is not a good idea considering, like the other people said, they can miss super important things (like children!).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Might not be relevant to purchasing one perse, but if you ever have to change a tire on one of those, they can be an absolute bitch to get off. Idk if has anything to do with the hybrid system but the couple of times I've helped people change the tires on them I've had to really wack at the wheel before it came off.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 18, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

This may be a glimpse into my extraordinarily deranged mind but that budget could get you a very nice RX8. The rabid RX8 people say they're actually fairly reliable if you get a nice one and do special things for them (let them warm up, put oil in the gas, use better plugs, redline once every time you drive it, etc.) but I don't know how true that is. At any rate they are pretty quick, super fun to drive, quite unique and hilariously cheap to insure because in the eyes of an insurance company it's a 4-door 1.3L instead of a RWD sports car.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Don't be lame and try to talk people into the VW DSG. It's much much more expensive both short- and long-term, and it's probably a lot less fun.
On a similar note, from my knowledge I'd stay away from any Subaru boxer. I'm still spooked by all the head gasket, overheating and oil consumption problems.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Going to be checking these cars out this weekend with a friend of mine, anything in particular I should look out for?
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/d/new-york-mazda/7331020500.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/howard-beach-scion-xb/7330189876.html
In particular that head unit for the Scion kind of sketches me out.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I feel like throttle mapping has a lot to do with it. A lot of newer cars are at like half throttle when you're barely pushing the pedal in and it really warps the association between the pedal and actual acceleration. People also seem to be scared of cars revving for some reason, which is weird because it's something engines need on a semi-regular basis for carbon buildup and stuff.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

A good (though unfortunate) rule of thumb is that any damaged car for sale is NOT a good deal. They are most likely sellimg it because it is not worth it to fix. Otherwise they would have fixed it themselves and sold it/kept driving it. While that rule can get a bit blurry in terms of cosmetics/ features (car with crappy paint, blown out speakers, rough interior, etc.) It's still a generally poor indication for how fhe car was treated. In this case, the car has serious damage from an accident that must be addressed before driving it, AND a pre-existing and unexplained oil leak. That would be a bad deal for $1000 because it's definitely looking at more than $5k worth of work to make it reliable in the short term (~6 months). Please do not buy it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Too bad they don't make a manual transmission prius

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

The insight was the hybrid with the CVT mated to a 5-speed manual no? I can't lie, that's pretty drat cool.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

https://youtu.be/cL2FKDtpRt8
This video is why I thought a Honda Insight had a CVT. Still a cool car though.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

KillHour posted:

The devil's manual layout is a 5 gear with reverse where 6 would go and no lockout
There's a simple solution to that problem: never have enough money to afford a 6-speed.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I think your marriage problems would disappear if you evened out the number of cars you own. Could I suggest a 1st generation turbocharged Mini Cooper? How about an Audi Allroad? Maybe an SRT-4 would be more your speed? If your budget's a little higher, I think a non-turbo 996 911 would be good as well. Or literally any Alfa Romeo ever made. Buying any (or all) of these cars will make your wife happy, I guarantee it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah if you don't need a ton of cargo/passenger space your money is going to go a lot further getting a car as opposed to an SUV/CUV. Plus a car with a smaller footprint is going to be cheaper to maintain, better for the environment, more fun to drive, etc.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's not quite a van, but a 1st-Gen Toyota Matrix is right in that price range, somewhat available in a stick, has tons of interior space, seats that fold flat and is pretty drat fun to drive with a stick. I'd imagine it's a lot easier to park than a transit too. Mazda 5 with the stick would also be great but they are quite rare.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

How big is the toolbox? My brother has a 1st gen matrix and I could measure the height of the trunk if you'd like. I want to say it has more vertical clearance than something like an XA or Outback but I'm not positive.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Aren't typical wear items like timing belts and headlight assemblies like $4k each nowadays, meaning every new car is immediately totaled the second it gets into an accident or out of warranty?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

The Golf R is closer to the Civic Type R, while the GTI is the counterpart to the Civic Si. The Golf R is also essentially a different skin on an Audi TT coupe, so they are quite a bit of money and I don't think that in line with what you were looking for (assuming you're looking for something relatively new at least).

And there's actually a lot of nuance to the different AWD setups. Most companies (like Honda, VW, I believe Ford as well) use what's called a Haldex AWD system, which is essentially just a clutch pack that engages the rear wheels when the front wheels start to slip. This means they are just FWD 99% of the time, and even when they are in AWD they are sending at most 50% of the power to the rears. This is probably a lot more practical for every day use but it means a Haldex AWD system is still going to be very front wheel biased, and therefore handle a lot like a FWD car.
Subaru on the other hand has a center differential that sends power the rear wheels all the time, as well as fancy computer stuff that someone else could explain a lot better that makes it a lot less front-biased in spirited driving. It changes the handling dynamics a lot more and that's why it's pricier than the simpler haldex type AWD systems (not to mention there's more going on in them). They are quite a bit heavier, and driving 4 wheels all the time is not great for gas milage, but Subaru has gotten a great reputation for their AWD systems so people pay a premium for them. If you're interested there are plenty of more correct and in-depth explainers out there. If you're looking to buy an AWD vehicle I would strongly recommend you do your own research into it, but thought I'd give you a primer because it's pretty remarkable how many different systems there are to make cars all wheel drive.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yes. Do NOT let anyone talk you out of a pre-purchase inspection. If they are trying to do that, they are either an rear end in a top hat or trying to rip you off. If you find something you really like, you can always agree to put down a (refundable) cash deposit for them to hold the car for you. I found a great car for my younger brother, and the guy selling it went from hemming and hawing to completely patient and understanding because I gave him $200 to hold it until we could get our mechanic to look at it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is Carvana another one of those bullshit "tech" associated companies that's burning investor money to price out their competitors?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus. How do you avoid dealing with poo poo like this/guaranteeing dealers aren't loving with your car?

Does anyone have a good answer to this? These horrible immobilizer/GPS units haphazardly spliced into vital electronics are the biggest thing stopping me from financing a car.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Space Gopher posted:

The reason you don’t want that poo poo in your car is the hackjob wiring dealerships will use to install it, and the consumer privacy issues from the tracking company selling your location to anybody who’s buying.

By financing a car I mean going to a dealer, since it's the only reason I would go to one. But yeah I'm more concerned about the lovely wiring and potential horrible electrical issues that might come as a result, regardless of the intention of the device. Is there any semi-reliable way to get dealers to remove those things (or never install them in the first place)? Is it like a universal practice or can you find dealers that won't immediately chop up the harnesses on the cars they sell? I've been thinking about leaving the sub $5k used car market and buying a newer used car from a dealer (and I would have to finance it) but I would not at all be comfortable with one of those tumors installed. I've heard too many horror stories from my mechanic about them.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Golf's are generally a great blend of utilitarian and fun, but outside of Europe the weird German over-engineering hurts them a lot. Parts often have to be shipped from Europe, and they can often be super expensive and a huge pain to service yourself (sometimes requiring speciality equipment). They are reliable cars when maintained properly (generally speaking) but maintenance absolutely cannot be deferred and can oftentimes be difficult and expensive. It's a great choice if you're looking to have a fun car that is still very much a daily driver but it has to be taken care of properly. If you're the type of person who doesn't follow the service schedule in the manual to the tee than it's probably not for you. Things like Civics/Accords/Corolllas/Camry's are generally much more tolerable of deferred maintenance, though you lose a bit in driving dynamics. If you don't really give a crap about how a car drives and just want a reliable, efficient appliance of a car, you should just get a Prius of some sort.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It seems like people keep referring to plows killing transmissions. Is that just for automatics, or do they murder manuals too?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Motronic posted:

It's all in how you drive it and if you know how to plow.

If you know how to plow and it's an otherwise well maintained and driven auto or manual trans box that is not a known manufacturer disaster it should be fine, but it's always gonna be severe duty time.

There are so many auto boxes that run into to many issues with plowing unless you know how to run THAT autobox the right way and have the right coolers, etc. that it's impossible to just say "it's always a problem for X vehicle".

For example, if you have a ford of an age with an OD switch on the column shifter you better not be plowing unless you turn that poo poo off, because it doesn't just lcok out overdrive, it also changes the torque converter lockup. Just like chevy/GM "tow" buttons in the same place. You keep on plowing all day with a slippy torque converter and no gauges to show you just how bad yu're cooking your trans and it's not gonna last long.

Then you have people who like to plow in 1 or 2 on an auto. That works right up until it doesn't on certain boxes, because it also changes the torque converter lockup to the point where all of your off throttle is putting so much pressure on it that you'll trash it in that particular way.

And there are 10s of other ways to destroy autos while plowing that I'm aware of that I'm not calling to mind right now and not going to put in there and probably hundreds more I don't even know about.

Manual? Your biggest issue, if it's something rated for the loads you put on it (which are always grossly underestimated by those who just don't know how goddamn heavy snow is and don't understand shock loads) is someone who sucks at driving stick. And when you're plowing this is absolutely an advanced level unless we're talking about like, a road plow where you spend tens of minutes in second/third gear at a time, as opposed to constant forward/backwards.

E: We've not even gotten into accidents (leading to) frame damage (which happen a lot when you're plowing poo poo that can't be seen like curbs and parking blocks), killing alternators and batteries, minor cooling system issues turning into major overheating almost instantly due to low speed and blocked airflow, and massive salt exposure and rust yet.
Thanks, this is exactly the long, detailed and informative answer I was looking for.
Also, don't plow with a new truck kids! You'll ruin it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I believe this is true but it is only for certain car lines like the ones you mentioned. You don't have to factory order Cherokees and Escapes and F150s and poo poo.

Key weird in his post was "cars". Those are all lovely crossovers/trucks.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's a 16 year old, turbocharged, semi-luxury, AWD car with well over 200k miles on it. If that isn't enough the seller sounds like a bit of a maniac and is already getting defensive about the work done to the car.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/yonkers-2002-acura-rsx/7415017918.html
Is this a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

How do I convince myself my next car doesn't necessarily have to be faster than my current one?