Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

knox_harrington posted:

A Golf GTI makes that much nowadays

Yeah I think this was about 2010 or so.
So at that point I think v6s we're mostly in the 250-300 hp range and a few turbo fours like the MS3 were around there.

Re: rev chat, I never had an issue with revving anything unless it was broken and I needed to deliberately take it easy.

Getting on the highway? Floor that poo poo!
Going up a hill? Drop a gear or two and floor that poo poo!
And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

The BMW 7 series is a perfectly practical family saloon

Yeah, you can find great deals on them when they're about 6-8 years old and around 100,000 miles or so. Just need a set of riiiimmmzz and you're a baller on a budget

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Ever noticed how BMW is an anagram for BWM? :thunk:

Ok I'll bite, what is bwm?

Big wad o'money?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Car buying services can be worth it too. I paid 100 or 150 bucks and got my Tacoma for (I forget exactly) 13-1400 below sticker. Didn't have to do poo poo really.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KillHour posted:

It means you're eating a delicious loving sandwich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

I'm sure its not a totally exclusive as gently caress thing that can only be found there, but I've never seen it anywhere but in Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula.

gently caress, now I'm hungry for one of those MFs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think that accord coupe goon should maybe consider a used 7 series wagon. If there were ever 7 series wagons.

If not that, then a 5 series wagon would probably work just as well and be even cheaper.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

killaer posted:

So I just went over and test drove that 2-Door Honda Accord Coupe.

Seemed like a fun enough car to drive. Drives like a non lovely version of my gf’s 20 year old Corolla. It’s got that sedan feel. The infotainment and stereo system all check out.

It’s an old lady selling the car so she got this dude to come and sit with me while I drove it which was a little weird cos I couldn’t really think, he kept talking about stuff.

I was leaning towards buying - I did notice that the car had a few scratches and scrapes around it. Nothing big, I think all cars have em. Some chipped paint at the edge of the door. And the tires, those I noticed, the rims had what looked like small dents/chipped metal scratches, like an inch, inch wide. Tire looked like it had like a cut through it near the rim side. Not like a cut, but there was like a flap that you could pull on. They told me it was just curb scrapes.

Anyway, I ran the carfax, and I see that it has 2 reported accidents. Both are minor. The first one is in the front, and the second one is in the front-left and the side-right, the side with the wheel issues.

These are pretty good signals that there’s something wrong, right? Or I guess, it could be cosmetic, but I don’t really know what “Minor” means when it comes to carfax.

If you're still considering it, bring it to a mechanic thats NOT the one who told you about the car being for sale.

Tell the mechanic your concerns, show them the carfax if you have a paper copy of it and get them to check out those areas (amongst the rest of the car) if you have concerns about like shoddy repairs or something.
If a car is in an accident but gets fixed *properly* its really not that big of a deal. There is some stigma behind cars that have had damage to them, but again, if its fixed *properly, it should be fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, I imagine there's a little less pep in that step for the folks who are left.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carvana-layoffs-2500-workers-zoom-email/

But ZOOM is the MODERN way to do things!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ethanol posted:

MSRP on a new corolla SE is 25k. why are you buying used? am I missing something? you could halve that interest rate by buying new and not be buying a car with an accident on it. and you get a normal warranty you don't have to pay 3.6 k or even any money for.

This might be the goon that said they had just gotten their license, were in NYC and they went for a drive and rubbed, hit or otherwise made contact with other vehicles like 3 times within a few hours.
THey were going to buy something new, but everyone said "don't buy new, you'll just ruin it in no time".

Or maybe that was a different goon.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Buy the Hyundai accent.

You nickname it the "Hyundai accident"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, what this goon ^^^^^ said.

I got the meguiars stuff myself probably available at any parts store/walmart etc...

I'm sure there is someone going to chime in about how that kit sucks and THEY would only ever use a special boutique headlight restoration kit thats only available for sale for 3 weeks a year and they only sell 5 of those kits per year (for that three week period only!!) and there is a 7 year waiting list for it, but gently caress them. The parts store kits are fine, particularly if you're just trying to sell that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

They're not sending them to you because you're missing out on a great bargain. They're the ones that make money off it.

For most cars, the cost of repairs over the course of the warranty period will cost you less than the extended warranty itself. You're paying in advance for repairs you will never make.

Every once in a while, someone is extremely unlucky and their car breaks down a lot and thus the extended warranty actually saves them money. Those cases are rare.
The goon does have a Chrysler product.......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

We're they perchance available in 2008 legacies?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You will probably wish that a Pacifica was as reliable as a Toyota product when it starts breaking out of warranty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KillHour posted:

sitting in traffic in my hyundai thinking about how my wife is probably getting rammed by a dude who drives a tesla

I actually drive a Tacoma (both start with a "T") but don't worry, I won't turn her in to a Roastie.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There are some fun image results of this. I would love to get a total 7+ inch clearance and continually blast limp bizkit while I head up the mountain. We simply must keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’

https://priusoffroad.com/products/ols/categories/prius-lift-kit

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The good news is that there really aren’t any truly bad cars being built, except Mitsubishis, so just let your wife buy whatever the gently caress she wants within budget.

Is Chrysler suddenly good?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean I probably wouldn’t buy a Cherokee for myself but I know three people who own them and they’ve been perfectly reliable. Anecdotes aren’t data but I guarantee if I knew three people who owned PT cruisers they would have had at least two catastrophic failures.

The Pacifica is pretty good, and so is the 300. We’re post bad car now.

Yeah I've kinda figured on various occasions "how bad can they really be"? But you hear so many stories, and like you said anecdotes aren't data, but when a company gets a reputation, good or bad, it takes a long time to change it.

Like people still thinking Hyundai still makes crap.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah i've been calling everywhere around a 15 block radius and $60 is the cheapest, so i guess that'll do!

drat...why so much for the latter?

Probably something high end-ish and German.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'll assume the Ford dealer asked for the VIN first and when you didn't have it that's when they asked for the month of manufacture?

Most dealers do that, but also a poo poo load of manufacturers change stuff slightly depending on which supplier made the most recent delivery of part x to the factory.

Not talking poo poo or whatever, just saying. Although the dealer really just wants your money, they also want your money and don't want to have to deal with an angry call when they give you the wrong poo poo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

This is from 20 years ago, but I worked at a GM dealer at the turn of the century, and at that time the vast majority of cars on the used lot came from auction.
Lease returns, old rentals etc...
I'd have to say that for every 10 cars traded for something newer, maybe 2-3 were actually in decent enough shape/low enough mileage to go on the used lot.

Most of the used cars we got in trade went to the smaller lots. We regularly had guys come around from the smaller lots to pick over our "back lot inventory".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

heffray posted:

Used car values at the moment have made things weird, but it's generally not any cheaper to own a used BMW /etc mid range car in years 4-7 of its life than to lease it for years 1-3. There's major savings in buying in year 8 if the car had been very well maintained and you do all the work yourself, but at that point you're buying a hobby and not transportation.

Ah,. I guess that's why the thread tells so many people to buy a used 7 series

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

dpkg chopra posted:

I have a 2020 Kia Rio S. It is very needs suiting, despite having been a desperation buy in the hellscape of 2021. I'm also aware that it's also basically a glorified RC car.

We might possibly be having to move in a couple of months, from GA to NY. As far as I can tell, all of our possessions should fit in the smaller U-Haul trailers.

I'm considering our different options and while I personally would like the convenience of just towing everything and dropping the trailer at the nearest U-Haul location, I feel like installing a hitch on such a small car is a bad idea and I'm looking for some confirmation.

Probably depends on how much you plan on towing, but you mention "we". Of the other half of "we" has a driver's license, you might consider renting a uhaul van, even a small one and filling that and you or your partner can drive the car. It'd be abit more expensive, but trailers can be assholes sometimes so possibly less of a pain in the rear end even if its more expensive.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Get the Uhaul truck, load it with whatever. Convoy it. Plan to stop every few hours to stretch your legs, eat, piss whatever. Take a couple days to do it and book a hotel room or two. Whoever is in the car stays in the back to run blocker. People are notorious assholes to people in cars, and tend to be even worse with people in trucks. Get the van/truck driver to signal lane changes early whenever possible and whoever is driving the car pays attention, gets their rear end over to the next lane and gives the truck room to move over. That'll take care of 90% of that type of poo poo. The other 10% just have to remember, gently caress other drivers.

For quick communications, use FRS radios, or GMRS or whatever the gently caress they call that poo poo. Obey state and local laws WRT "device" use while driving obviously.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Don't know about Veritas in particular, but most aftermarket warranty companies get you to pay them a bunch of money and then fight the poo poo out of you to not have to actually pay up for warranty work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I hate those fuckin screw on chucks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

dpkg chopra posted:

My expat group is all from a country where all gas stations have free air pumps for your tires and apparently this is not a thing in the US (at least not in GA).

I made the mistake of pointing out that Costco has complimentary nitrogen pumps. Nitrogen v. Air chat has been going on for two days now.

Don't bother with nitrogen in your tires if you have to pay for it.

If its free then gently caress it, go nuts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Inner Light posted:

drat it's crazy that new vehicle APR 5% is normal now. I still haven't internalized yet that all recent years before now have been an aberration.

Back in the 90s, I remember seeing a commercial for some car company, don't remember which, that was all like "our financing is SO AWESOME!! SIX POINT NINE PERCENT FINANCING HELL YEAH"!!

I guess that was considered good back then.....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

literally this big posted:

Hello goons, I need to purchase a new vehicle right away, and I was looking for some help. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the process and choices.

I recently started a new job that requires quite a bit of driving/traveling (around probably 20k miles per year for work alone), and was looking for a reliable used vehicle that would last me for a few years of that while I start earning decent money and saving. Unfortunately my current vehicle (a 1998 Isuzu Amigo :v:) just died, less than a month into the job, so I don't have much saved and I'll be financing the whole thing. Fortunately my credit union just approved me for a $17.5k loan (though I could go even higher). The terms of the loan require that I buy a 2013 or newer, with less than 100k miles, and from a dealer that also sells new vehicles (or from Carvana, Enterprise, Hertz, or Carfax).

I'm thinking about something reliable, affordable, and easy to maintain like a Toyota Camry or something like that. I really just need something that will allow me to reliably do my job for a few years, but I feel kind of clueless on anything beyond that. Do I go with an older, cheaper car, or do I go with a newer model that hopefully last me 10+ years? Do I get a generic sedan of some kind, or do I get something I may be a little more interested in, since this will be my personal vehicle for the next few years? I could just buy a 2013 Corolla for $14k or so, but I also have the flexibility to spend a bit more on something else.

Most important features would be reliability, ease of maintenance, cost of ownership, fuel economy, and utility (in that order). A hatchback might be preferable as it'd allow me to haul and carry boxes of supplies, a bit easier. Personally, I would also like something I could throw a sleeping bag in the back of and camp out of for a few days.

Any suggestions on how to navigate the process and make a decision?

Get the newest, lowest mileage Prius, Corolla or Civic that you can afford. Maintain it to a reasonable standard and for the next several years try to save up the money so that you will be able to once again afford an even newer Prius, Corolla, or Civic to maintain once this one completely goes to poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A Prius was the first thing that came to my mind, but I've heard from multiple people about how the battery/electrical components can go bad after ~10 years (including the tow truck driver that picked me up, he said he had towed so many dead Priuses this year).

I'm not saying thats not true but the tow truck driver probably picked up a shitload of other dead cars this year too.

Also a lot of MFs just don't like or straight up hate the idea of Hybrids or electric cars, so they see one or two that are broken down and it "yeah all them hybrids break cause of X or Y"

Its like back in the 90s, I and probably a lot of other people in this thread probably knew "that guy" or "guys" that refused to drive anything newer than like 1990 or so, because fuel injection/front wheel drive/overhead cam engines/unibody is the TOOL OF THE DEVIL!!

So they were still driving framed up carbureted pushrod V8 mobiles long after most everyone else had moved on. But hey, they knew a guy in 1984 that had a car with fuel injection that had too many problems, therefore all fuel injection is the worst.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Drive 2+ hours out to SF to test drive one of the Prius, got a call half way saying it had mechanical issues. I may end up just getting a new 2023 Corolla for $22.9k. It's not a hybrid, but it's new and the same.price as some of these used Prius. Any thoughts on that?

Good choice. Maintain it to a reasonable standard and you'll easily get 10+ years out of it.

Source: I bought a new corolla 14 years ago and still own it. Has cost me a minimal amount in repairs that weren't scheduled/wear items.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That's what on their website and what they told me on the phone. Probably more than that out the door, if I'm being realistic.

23k is *probably* before taxes, license, registration etc....

As far as negotiating goes, dunno, just refuse to get useless poo poo like paint protection, fabric protection, window etching etc...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It pains me to type this but a gently used X3 with the small engine fits almost all of the OPs criteria except for "breaks a lot" and "needs premium gas"

Do they really need premium?

Hey, Sportage goon, you should probably buy a used 7 series. It checks like just about every box except the ground clearance one, but you live in BC you said?
Where abouts exactly? Like I don't need your address, but North? South? Unless you go to the mountains all the time, you likely won't need the ground clearance. Just get a GOOD set of snow tires and put them on. Hell, I've got worn blizzaks on my 14 year old Corolla, and I've yet to get stuck anywhere that wasn't drifted higher than the hood of the car. Even then it wasn't hard to unstuck myself. No need to even get out of the car. Seriously though, unless you're going through mud and ruts and poo poo ground clearance is over rated for snow.

Lastly, if you really really really need that extended warranty, read the fine print and see what it actually covers. Manufacturers don't lose money on those things. You do.

Lets say that at 160,000km your steering rack starts leaking and needs to be replaced. Does the extended warranty actually cover that? It might or it might not.

It might be:
"no sorry, it only covers the engine and transmission, that'll be 1500 bucks please"

then at 170,000km a couple coils go and the car needs to be towed:

"the extended warranty covers the engine right? You told me that last time"

"Well yes but it only covers internal engine components like pistons, bearings, crank shaft etc.. that'll be 600 dollars, oh hey do you want us to change the spark plugs while we're in there? Thats another 75 bucks."

Later on the rear main seal starts leaking, lets pretend its leaking a LOT (these things happen on a regular basis unfortunately).

"Some internet people told me that the rear main seal is on the crankshaft, and you told me that the crankshaft is covered by the extended warranty right?"

"Well yes, but the warranty doesn't cover seals, only gaskets, that'll be 2500 bucks plz."

Read that fine print. The internal combustion engine is pretty reliable these days and manufacturers have a pretty good idea of which components will last the life of a vehicle and which won't. "Extended" warranties have a lot of exclusions.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I have a Tacoma. How long before I can graduate to a big boy truck? I starting to see hairs in my pee pee.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

So pretty much the same thing that any shop should be able to do.

If that's the case you should be able to take them almost anywhere.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is it typical to have a higher interest rate if the term is shorter?
Not buying a car but considering buying an even bigger money pit boat.

I figure similar rules for financing apply.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

Other way around. Longer terms get higher rates in houses and cars.

If you need to finance a boat you can't afford a boat.

I don't need to. I just don't want to empty half of my bank account.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm sure that will happen eventually, I just didn't want to do it all at once :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DesperateDan posted:

If I buy something new outright in cash is there anything I need to know?

Getting sorely tempted at the thought of something with a nice long warranty on it, unfortunately this fucks me over on a few things like the Santa Fe which you can't get as a manual now :(

I've heard, probably in this thread that if you finance, you might get a better out the door price than if you pay cash because the dealer gets some kickbacks from the manufacturer, or whatever the gently caress the financial institution is thats backing your loan (assuming you use dealer/manufacturer financing).
I've also heard, probably also in this thread that theres *usually* nothing stopping you from financing, making like 3 payments and then paying the rest off. Like no interest penalties or whatever.

YMMV

Captain Log posted:

Would this be the appropriate thread to ask for a quick and dirty overview of a few different auto manufacturers? If not, I'll delete the post and move it to the appropriate place.
I'm leaning towards driving my Volvo for a while, now that it's fixed and Mototronic helped to explain maintenance repairs vs. "Your Transmission Caught on Fire" repairs. But I'm still keeping my eyes open, and following the advice of this thread not being married to any particular make or model considering my price constraints.
That said, there are some car manufacturers I am wholly unfamiliar with, and unsure if they are worth keeping in search results -
- Kia
- Mazda
- Buick
- Chevy

I'm not asking for a small book or anything. I'm just wondering if these used vehicles lean good, or not good as a brand.

What up fellow TFR poster :hfive:.

There are many knowledgeable people here who know the whats and whys of car buying and financing and whatnot. I'm not one of them, but I know a few things about cars. All the above manufacturers are "fine". They're satisfactory. They're ok.
I'm sure someone is fuming mad right now that I didn't say that manufacturer X from your list is a giant throbbing pile of poo poo and is about to quote me and tell me how they had whatever car made by whatever manufacturer and it was a fuckin pile of fuckshit and therefore I'm an rear end in a top hat for saying that manufacturer X isn't the worst thing ever.
But there are a lot of worse cars out there than those made by the above.

The stereotype in this thread is "congratulations on your new Prius" but some knowledgeable people in this thread dropped some knowledge and said that in your particular use case, a Prius isn't really worth it because you only drive like 3000 miles a year.

I've made this same recommendation to some other people. Maybe here, or maybe in another thread, maybe IRL, I don't fuckin know:

If all you're looking for is to get from A-B reliably, take whatever money you have now, or a few years from now when the Volvo finally blows up or burns down and buy the newest, best condition, lowest mileage Civic, or Corolla that you can find. Subject to a good looking over by a trusted mechanic.
Maintain that thing to a reasonable standard (oil change at least once a year, even if you only put a few thousand on it for example) following the manufacturer's recommended schdule which should be in the owner's manual or online and you should expect to get many years of trouble free service from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DesperateDan posted:

this morning I went to a pre-arranged test drive for a kodiaq

they sold it beforehand and didn't bother telling me, no other manual 4x4 ones around, not even a manual 2wd

drove over to vw and I'm gonna test drive a manual 4x4 tiguan next week but I have seen a bunch of reliability warnings about them already so that's probably a no-go

gently caress car dealerships and gently caress their lovely coffee, goddamn burnt isn't a desirable flavour

Have you ever considered a used 7 series?