Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah we have a 4 seat Polaris Ranger for that. My 92 year old grandfather insists on puttering about in it around the land and it works great for hauling material and tools into terrain we don't feel comfortable driving the Yukon to.

Honestly if it's not a busy highway, you should be fine driving it across. We drive ours across a local state highway when necessary, and the Ranger can hit close to 50 if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was going to say a v90 cross country, but it might be just outside your price range. Might be able to get a lease trade in less than 50k

Wife has a Jeep Compass, and I (a 6' big guy) really don't fit in it well. The Cherokee might be a good option, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee is the same size as the Telluride.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 15, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The bolts/mounts that bolt the bed to the frame might be sheared or bent.

How far off are we talking here?

Edit: you said half an inch. Yeah I'd look for any brackets attaching the bed to the frame that look to be damaged.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 16, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

VW is usually pretty good for tall people, go sit in a Tiguan or Taos.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's more depending on what you can afford to pay monthly than having the cash. If you have the cash and can afford to pay 60 months for the loan, take the cash and put it in an index fund and pay the loan. You'll come out ahead however long the length of the loan is.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

2018-2020 Jaguar XF S Sportbrake: 3.0L Supercharged V6, AWD, Nice interior, can have all the bells and whistles or none. Should be mid to upper 40s.

Bought mine 4 months ago, miss the stick in my GTI, but the comfort and space are worth the trade off. Trans is nice too.

Edit: also

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Don't install the Toyota app, I worked with the developers of it and uhhhhh... Yeah don't install it

Also, with a Toyota I wouldn't worry about the dealer extended warranty. Factory warranty will cover any issues.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

And all of that stuff is probably done better and cheaper by a prominent local shop that specializes in your car rather than the kids they have getting apprenticed at a dealer.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Based on prices in my area (Texas) on Facebook marketplace, which are between 6500-8500 for similar miles for a 2012, seems like a good deal. If you're prepared to lose a friend if she screws you.

I don't buy cars from friends, no matter how much I trust them, but that's just me. Makes financial sense if you need a car and she's willing to sell it to you that cheap.

Ask for maintenance records and any and all docs before committing.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Go to a local credit union and refinance the car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I guess you're right. Probably get more action out of the finance dipshit if you go in and say something like "Hey I'm trying to refinance my car and this stupid extended warranty your predecessors told me they removed from my loan in still on here, can you remove it and give me a loan payoff letter with it removed please?"

That might get more movement than just asking them to remove it. Dealers make the majority of their money off of these extended warranties so they're not incentiviesed to remove it unless you give them a reason.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cadillac ATS-V. Good solid American luxury car with a turbo V6 well in your price range. Kinda small for long road trips, but fits all your other requirements. Note: may not be considered small for Europeans.

Alternatively you can probably afford a used M2 or an Audi S5 if you want to go the German route, but it'll be at the upper end of your budget and you may not get loan approval with no credit history.

Go find a local credit union and give them your bills and paychecks for the last 5 years, hopefully they'll approve a special loan for you.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Y'all, he has no credit in the US, but he does have financial history in another country. You can bring in proof of credit to a lender and they can provide a high dollar loan to you with proof of income and good bill payment regardless of any credit history. A lender that specializes in immigrants will give loans out for these situations. Look for no credit lenders who probably offer that service. A lot of local credit unions do this. They will require you to be a member, but it's a better bank than the Nationals anyways.

Plus he was asking for luxury car and you recommended a loving Prius. The answer to every recommendation is not Prius.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I guess I took this

Methanar posted:

Proposed Budget: 30-60k I guess?

Body Style: 2 door, less is more.

I've spent the last 8 years pretending I'm utterly impoverished and need to live on 15k usd a year. I'm tired of doing that and really don't need to anymore.
I want to strike the balance of owning something that isn't embarrassing, while not being extravagant.

as luxury. They don't make a lot of non-luxury 2 door cars anymore that fit this criteria.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's nothing wrong with any of the big truck brands. Get a gas engine, not a diesel, unless you know what you're doing. If you're buying it to haul poo poo, I'd look at the towing capacity and torque figures, and buy based on that.

GM Sierra 1500, F150, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tacoma. Maybe stay away from Dodge? They're expensive for some reason. If this isn't going to be your primary and you're not going to use it to road trip your haul things, I'd get as cheap as you can that fits the number of butts you need.

We also haul our zero turn and a Polaris ranger, but do so with a Yukon XL and a farm trailer. You don't have to buy a truck to haul poo poo, you just need the tow capacity. We also load a bunch of building material, heavy rear end tile, lumber and whatever else in the Yukon all the time, but still use it for road trips, so it worked out for us.

If you're planning to buy new, Toyota holds their value very well and will fit all your needs for the most part. If I was buying right now I'd look at them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Also, we've never had to haul a tractor ourselves. It stays at the property (at first inside a shipping container and then in a barn after it was built) and we had a service contract from the tractor dealer that said "we will come pick the loving thing up".

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wagons are no longer cheap in the US. Here's what's available for 2022. List is pretty much the same as 2021 just with less Volvos:

• Audi A4 Allroad - $41k
  • Audi A6 Allroad - $67k
  • Audi RS6 Avant - $117k
  • Mercedes E-Class - $69k
  • Mercedes AMG E63 - $113k
  • Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo - $100k
  • Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo - $95k
  • Volvo V60 Cross Country - $45k
  • Volvo V90 Cross Country - $56k

Subaru does not import a wagon anymore, they're all considered SUV/CUVs like the Forester.

OP, I'd go drive an Audi A4/V60 and see if they're big enough in the back. Otherwise stick with a crossover like a Rav4 or whatever else Toyota has.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Buy the best wagon

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, the Jag's colors aren't the best in that link. I went and drove a new and used V90 and compared it to a XF S sedan (couldn't find a wagon anywhere to test drive) before I purchased the Jag out of state with the right colors, blue exterior and brown/tan interior. The interior of the modern Volvos are nice, but I felt the materials in the Jag were better and didn't feel so IKEA spartan. Also, the screen in the Jag was much smaller (which is a positive for me) and I liked the physical buttons for the AC vs the screen for the Volvo. Oh, and the supercharged V6 was a hoot vs the turbo 4 in the Volvo. Pretty sure I made the right choice in wagons. But hey, just buy a wagon dude, get in this dying segment.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I vote you get this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3147177368885942/

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

Last tractor derail:

It came today, and it is beautiful :swoon:

Just need my ROPS lights to show up. And to move all the stuff that just got dumped in random spots in the barn by the movers a month ago so that I have a better spot to put it. Maybe I'll use the bucket for that...

Very nice. Get some forks, I found that we use that for moving poo poo around much more than the bucket.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

fenix down posted:

Proposed Budget: $30-$40k
New or Used: no preference
Body Style: 2 door coupe, but not a muscle car
How will you be using the car?: daily driver
What aspects are most important to you? RWD, manual transmission

I've narrowed down the choices to a used Nissan 370Z or a new Toyota GR86. The Nissan has more HP but supposedly more road noise, so maybe not the best for a daily driver? Is there another option I'm missing?

You might be able to get a used BMW 2/4 series with that criteria. Maybe even find a cheaper Cayman, but it'd probably be pretty old.

What's wrong with a Miata? It's a convertible, not a coupe, but I would call it the superior option out of all of these options.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe check out the V60 too? I think used they're down around 26ish. Might be an Audi A5/4/3/Allroad in that range as well.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Buy the lease out either way. I would not trade it in for a cheaper used car, the market is too crazy. If you want to have 2 cars, keep the car. If you don't, sell it and pocket the money.

Is there any possibility you will go back to the office and need 2 cars? Is there any time you and your wife need to be on opposite sides of the city? Any time you need to travel and can't rent a car and will leave your wife stranded, carless? Any reason to get a different, more utilitarian vehicle like a small truck or something? If no, might as well sell the car and not replace it.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 8, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

With that budget you might as well look at the Highlander hybrid awd and Kids Sorento awd hybrid too.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You said you got an enclosed trailers transport company didn't you?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The easiest class of cars to get in and out of are minivans. Don't know what your budget is, but we really can't tell you the answer here, you're going to have to take your dad (preferably to like a car show or something) and get him to try a bunch of things out.

Maybe the Mazda CXs if your nephew is against minivans. Although they can be cool

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 7, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably the biggest thing to remember is that car salespeople aren't human (their sales managers even less so) so you do not need to treat them with respect. If they insult you, either directly or in negotiation, walk out. They will either chase after you or not, and there are a million other sales douches you can buy a car from, even if they're not in the same city.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Go older, get a 40 year old squarebody crew cab.

fake edit: oh wait gas is $bezos. Nevermind.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Don't expect it to tow

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

lmbo calrissian posted:

Ok I'll entertain this if it'll give you kind folks any clearer picture. But to restate this is for gathering aesthetic style, which isn't the most important based on my original ask, but since you ask. I don't hate how a Stinger looks if it's all black, but suggesting it defeats the fact that I'm looking for fuel economy. And I kinda stand by my original budget cap

Do laugh at my taste. Leperflesh, I'm not looking for hatchbacks, space is not something I need at all. Will get back to that hybrid list soon, thanks!

How about any of these?

These are all new, close to $25k and most can have a hybrid engine or already get close to 30mpg. You're very limited by your criteria because no one wants to sell cheap sedans anymore, so there aren't many other choices.

If I were you I'd drive the shitbox for another couple of years, and up my budget to 40-50k and then look at ze germans or luxury Japanese/Korean then. Apparently you can get a BMW 3 electric for $45k now? That's not an ugly electric.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think you can buy a nice car for 20k USD anymore, unless you get a 10 year old with 150k+ miles on it and questionable reliability.

I mean, look, this wrecked Bronco Sport is 17k

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This seems relevant to Hyundai/Kia chat: https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-gear/if-you-own-a-2011-2019-hyundai-or-kia-you-might-be-eligible-for-a-free-engine

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably going to say Golf R here. Fits your needs, you can find a nice 2019-2021 for around $45k if you look hard enough. I fit 3 dogs (2 big 1 pug) into the back of a GTI with the seats folded down and had plenty of room for wife and luggage on a road trip. We weren't comfortable but we fit.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Facebook, actually. Join a couple of groups and immediately turn them off in your feed because they just spam nonsense.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's blue. Pretty

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah your best bet is to start calling dealers and find one that guarantees MSRP. They do exist out there. Reddit and just searching for "no MSRP in <state>"" will get you close, but you'll need to call and confirm.

There's a couple of crowdsource sites that can help you find them too:
https://markups.org/all

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Shop at local credit unions for loans. Get pre approved and have the "dealer fills in the check" thing ready to go. At the same time, call dealers to make sure they have cars at MSRP before even agreeing to see something.

I'd look at the Camry Hybrid, Accord, CR-V, Mazda3 and maybe the RAV4 for reliability and comfort on the highway for that much. Then also look up Sonatas, Tucsons, and maybe the new Kia sedans that look snazzy. Really it's just going to be sitting in them and figuring out what feels the best for an hour a day. I'm sure I'm missing a lot but 20-30k is the sweet spot for new cars. I wouldn't even bother looking for used in this market.

drat that's a long commute.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The Prius is not a comfortable car on the highway for 2 hours a day, are y'all crazy? There's plenty of cars with the Prius driveline that are more comfortable.

Have them get a loan on a new car. With the amount of miles they'll be putting on it, it's expected that they'll need a new car every 3-4 years anyways. Might as well be a new one with a warranty and the reliability needed.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You're moving to Colorado and not looking at Jeeps?