Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was talking used, but those subcompacts are so new used stuff may as well be new.

Before making any decision, I'd follow the previous advice and check out some slightly older, slightly less compact hatchbacks as well. At the very least find a used Mazda 3 or something similar to test drive so you've got something to compare to. With those cars you'll have a much larger used market to choose from, and they'll probably have better amenities/comfort too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A running car of any quality is worth something--if you look on your local craigslist I'm sure you'll see plenty of worse vehicles for sale. It'll be worth your while to sell it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you should ask in AI. I haven't dont the window but I did replace a power window regulator in my Jeep Cherokee, which has some similar steps (taking the door panels off, unhooking and reattaching window.) It wasn't too hard and probably saved me $500--sooo, from the BFC side of things I'd say go for it. Just take your time and don't try to force anything. Also, I don't know how the corolla is, but the openings in the door on my jeep were loving razor sharp. I taped the edges up so I could work without worrying about shredding my arms.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do you need to be able to seat 8 people for a family of three? The Mazda 5 sounds like it fits your day to day needs way better. What scenario are you envisioning where you need to seat three rows worth of people and have room for cargo?

There are lots of ways to deal with what I assume will be a rare situation of needing to seat that many people and haul cargo. You could: put a cargo rack on top, rent a bigger vehicle (you can rent a full size minivan for under $300 a week), or you could put on a hitch and tow a small trailer. Everything you say points to the extra size of the Sienna being either not that helpful or actually a problem.

edit: just saw that the roadtrip with grandparents is said three rows of seats situation. In that case, a cargo box on top or rental would probably be the way to go. The 5 just seems like a better fit for 99% of your driving needs.

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 28, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 5 can still haul a lot, but the Sienna would definitely come in handy if you use 4x8 sheet goods or longer lumber with any frequency. The big thing to consider is whether you're trading the occasional convenience of extra cargo space for an every day hassle of the thing being too big for your garage. I suppose that'll be easy enough to figure on your second rental though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuna posted:

Cool, thanks a lot for explaining this to me. :)

Also, when you do go in don't worry about walking out at any point if it doesn't feel good. It's not like the won't sell you a car later if you change your mind. You can always just say you really need to sleep on it if they're pushy. And don't buy any of the extra crap they try to sell you as far as extended warranties—even if they make it sound like a good deal. They'll try to get you to sign stuff during the sale since the price, in comparison to a whole vehicle, will seem like not much. Thing is, even if you DO want any of it, you can pretty much always buy it within a pretty broad range of time after purchase.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iyaayas01 posted:

e: Time for the obligatory comedy option...found a 2000 4Runner for sale down there with only 93,500 on it. :v:

I also don't think the 2000 4Runner is a comedy option. If you already like them, know they'll work for you, and you can get it for a good price, why not?

I just bought an XV Crosstrek so I can give you my thoughts on the Subarus. They will definitely save you on gas, and are relatively inexpensive for new cars. Whether an XV or a Forester would work for you depends a lot on just how rough the outdoor stuff you're looking to do is. They're never going to be rock crawlers, but do have something like 9" of ground clearance and a good AWD system. The number one complaint about the Crosstrek is that it's severely underpowered. It actually seems fine to me and I'm coming off a G35 and turbocharged miata before that, so YMMV.

The Forester is bigger on the inside than the XV, has more cargo space, and has a slightly more powerful (but still weak) motor. It's getting a redesign for the next model year that'd be worth checking out since it adds some off-road tweaks to the AWD system. The current Forester is slightly cheaper than the XV in its base-est form, but the XV's base model is equivalent to the Premium trim level on the Forester. I think either only make sense if you're getting the lower trim levels as they get pricy fast.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that makes sense. Still seems like another 4Runner might be the way to go if he can either deal with such issues ahead of time or avoid them entirely by getting a different year.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
State law can vary a lot on vehicle registration stuff. In Nebraska there's a student exemption and they don't care what kind of tuition you pay or whether you work as long as it's considered a full time program. While checking this, I also discovered that Nebraska has vehicle registration reciprocity with Wyoming and North Carolina, so plates from there are accepted till they expire. I'd never heard of anything like that. (and why North Carolina, of all places?)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless you really like Panther series cars I don't think Crown Vics are that great of option for almost anyone outside some killer deal. I drove a Grand Marquis for several years and, while I liked it fine, it didn't actually hold THAT much for such a large vehicle. The back seat isn't particularly spacious, and the shape of the trunk makes large loads really awkward to get in and out since it's really deep instead of long (plus you can't fold down the seats.) Much of the largeness is coming from a ridiculously long front end that does nothing to increase useable space.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For that budget I'd be looking for XJ's. Gas mileage is a little rough, but they're such a bargain on the used market. Plus the engines last a million years, parts are cheap, there's a vast array of resources and info on fixing any issues that might come up. You could also ask people in the 4x4 thread what they think about it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New foresters, imprezas, and the crosstrrek are around the top end of that budget if you look at base models. They all get pretty good gas mileage.

Edit: the above is a good point though, it takes a whole lot of repairs to make a knew vehicle the best option.

powderific fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 24, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a giant subaru thread in AI full of people who could give you some idea of what it'd cost to fix and how bad it is.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, yeah, I remember seeing that now. Along with the others listed, the Jeep Patriot, while mediocre in a lot of ways, supposedly has an impressive AWD system for a crossover: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm I don't know if you'd really need it even for bad winter weather, but they might be available pretty cheap used.

If you like the Subaru though, there are a few models in your price range new.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodfuldead posted:

Nah, I have a dedicated garage space for my fun cars. I own a bodyshop, so kits/whatever doesn't scare me. I want an absurd car. I want to drive something that feels/is a race car. And, yes, I will autox/track. I've owned wrx's, mustang gt's (new edge, fox, s197's, sn95's and a couple first gens. I rock a 65 merc comet cyclone 289hipo in the summer/fall/spring. I am tired of body roll/understeering.

Also the 'delicateness' of a car doesn't matter I'll have full coverage on anything i get.

Can you get a lotus 7/caterham kit over here? Cause those are crazy and seem like the definition of what you're looking for. No idea on prices, but I'd think a kit would fall in there. Flyin miata had some wacky body reduction kit for the miata that looks sort of like one. Or you could drop an ls3 in a miata.

edit: the caterham kits look like they'd be outside the price range, but Flyin Miata's Westfield kit looks like it could be pretty cool. The kit makes them weigh something like 1300 lbs, so even a very mild turbo would turn it into a rocket.

powderific fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 26, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you don't need financing, you might still think really hard about a used car—especially since your dad is a mechanic. While the depreciation might not matter that much to you, wouldn't you rather have that cash still in your savings instead of in a car? You can still get a very nice used car that'll last a long time used. You could even just start by looking for Mazda CX-5's or the Edge that your other family members have used to see what they're going for. Nothing wrong with getting a new car if that's the way you want to go, but if you're happy with the old tracker you'll probably be able to find something you'll be even happier with and save a lot of money going used. Especially with your dad's help. Just check around at Edmunds or wherever when you see something you like to make sure it has a decent reliability report.

Deviant posted:

Update: Here is a list of things I have been eyeing, that I think are cool. Years are flexible.

2010 Mazda 3 (Cheaper than I anticipated, and people seem to rave about them)
2010 Mazda RX-8 (The styling on these makes me rock hard, but I don't know much about them)
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX (Pricy, but awesome)
Nissan Sentra (Currently have a 94. Test drove a newer one, 09 i think. Liked it, but it's boring.)

You could look for the sportier Sentra SE-R Vspec or whatever if you like those, it should at least drive more interesting. Nothing wrong with any of your options, really, but the 3 is going to be the most economical of them. If you were willing to go a bit older you could get a G35 coupe in your price range and I think they're great. RX-8's are great cars too, just read up on them a bit as the rotary is a little different to take care of. Nothing at all crazy, you just need to be a little more proactive.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Credit unions usually publish their rates. If you pick a couple near you it's pretty easy to get everything approved through them before going to a dealership. Mine is around 2-3% with a similar score.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just bought a 2013 Crosstrek so I'm probably uniquely qualified to answer questions about it.

1) Do you see any problems with my reasoning for this car?

Buying a new car isn't necessarily the most reasonable thing, but I can't argue against it since the Crosstrek was exactly what I wanted and I bought it new. It'll almost certainly be a very reliable car as it's mostly an impreza with more ground clearance. I believe it's been for sale in other markets for a while so it's not totally new either.

2) I intend to own this car for >10 years and I figure the price is fair where I'll get a price of ~$2,000 a year again. Is this a good price point?

The price looks a bit high to me, you should find out what dealer invoice is on the thing. What options did you get?

$2000 a year major maintenance costs seems high for most used vehicles though, so I don't know if that's the best watermark for you to be using to justify something new. I drove a Jeep Cherokee with 160k miles on it for a few years and I didn't hit that, nor did I on any of the other used cars I've owned with fewer miles. Unless maybe you're counting things like oil changes and tires and whatnot.

Buying a car new is almost never going to save you money over used. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one, but it's not something you're going to be able to sell as the 100% logical financially responsible choice.

3) What's up with this clay polish stuff?

Bullshit. You do clay bar cars to get stuff off of them after they've been driven a lot, but this is just silly. Same with any extended warranty bullshit they try to sell you.

4) Do you see any area that I have missed out on as far as covering all the bases?

Sounds like you hosed up your current car through shoddy maintenance, don't do that again? The car being known for reliability isn't going to make it so you don't have to take care of the thing.

5) Is my reasoning that this will be a good, reliable car since it's from the same factory sound reasoning even though it's a completely new model?

Mentioned above.

6) Is the financial plan of getting some payments and then paying it off after I have a job reasonable?

I'll let the more financially smart folks answer this, but you should make sure there are no pre-payment penalties, and shop around for good rates if need be.

7) What, if any, advice can you get on getting them to lower the price?

Step one is going to be finding out what dealer invoice is on the options you want.

8) Was this post too long?

Waaaaaay too long.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, listen to the above dudes.

I chose the Crosstrek because I wanted: good enough ground clearance and departure/approach angles for minor off roading, decent cargo capacity, easy mounting for a hitch, a manual transmission, decent on road handling, and a Subaru :v:. I spent a good three months researching and test driving vehicles before settling on the Crosstrek. It'd be hard to make a compelling case for it based on purely objective measures, but it ticked the right boxes for me and I've always wanted a Subaru.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Proposed Budget: $10,000-$15,000
New or Used: Used, mid-2000's+
Body Style: 2-Door Coupe/Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver/fun/errands. My round trip to/from work is only ~7miles and I usually take the metro bus, but I need a car to get me there in the snow/bad weather/weird hours when I cannot get there by bus(I work at a bakery, sometimes that means ~2am shifts and there are no buses running at that time). Most likely I will only be putting ~3000miles on the car per year as a high estimate and I am planning on owning this car for at least the next ~4-5 years.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): I want something comfortable but luxary is not much of a concern at my price point, basic stuff like a sunroof and power locks/windows/mirrors/etc would be nice of course.
What aspects are most important to you?: Available in a manual gearbox(6-speed if possible) is one of my top priorities and preferably the car will have good handling characteristics/be fun to drive. Since I do the majority of my families maintenance and car care, cost of ownership and reliability isn't a huge concern to me. I figure most of the cars that fit my needs in my price range are going to be relatively close in this category anyhow. At least mid 20's for MPG would be ideal and hopefully something that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to insure as a 24 year old male with no accidents/tickets in the last 4 years.

You could get an earlier G35 for around that. I just sold one so I know they're out there. Gas mileage is... not great, but it'd fit more into the Genesis Coupe mold being rear wheel drive and sporty-er than your other options.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

3000 miles a year

Also, with this mileage, how many MPG the car gets isn't going to make much difference to your total cost of ownership.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I may already have posted this, but you should really look around for a G35 Coupe too. You should be able to find one for your budget and it seems to fit pretty well into the spread of cars your already looking at.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I had a 2003 model with the 18" wheels and brembos. The tires were expensive but not crazy. I think I spent $600 on a set of 4 Continental DWS's and there are definitely cheaper all season options if you don't need snow performance. I'm not sure on replacements for the brakes as I didn't own it long enough to replace rotors. They're pretty much a 350z with a nicer ride/interior and a small but useable back seat.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Subaru has something that locks the brakes for a second or so on hills to keep it from rolling back and it still weirds me out every time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I think it's a little of both.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I love Subaru's, I don't personally care for any of their automatic options. If you like the Cx-7 you can probably find a used one within your budget without too much trouble. Your requirements aren't super specific or anything so you may just want to poke around at vehicles in a similar class, read some reviews on edmunds, etc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rubicon Unlimited is a Serious Business offroad machine. Are you really going to be using it for such things? Because the off road capability of that style vehicle means compromises in a lot of other areas. You said it's out of your budget anyway, but if your drooling included a desire to do that serious business off roading, you could always get a normal commuter vehicle *and* a beater Jeep Cherokee or similar.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a massive miata megathread that will provide you with answers to all questions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As long as you check up on stuff like insurance and parking, having two vehicles is totally doable and not that crazy a thing to do. I had both a turbo Miata and a Jeep Cherokee for a few years and I'm not even remotely wealthy, only somewhat mechanically inclined, and don't have a garage. It was great. Only cost me about $20 more a year to insure both. For a variety of reasons I downsized to one vehicle, but I'm working towards having a sporty project for a second car in the next few years.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome suggestions that came from this thread when I posted, ended up getting a 2004 Infiniti G35. After a bit of searching and test driving, with a little bit of haggling thrown in to round it out I finally found one that was exactly what I wanted. Black/Black, 78k miles, every option(I think?) and most importantly 6MT.

Paid $12.5k OTD from a local dealership, I had them replace the rear tires since they were on their way out and a few other small things like wheel locks(had to break the stock ones off when I took it to my mechanic to inspect it since there was no key) and one of the exhaust gaskets since it was leaking. Ended up putting putting $3k down and financing the other $9.5k from my credit union which worked out great, made the whole buying the car process much easier having the financing already figured out prior to actually shopping. Price seems to be right on par if not a tad high for my local market, but I am completely satisfied with the car and the purchase as a whole so far. Much thanks to whoever the original person who suggested a G35 was since it was not a car that I had on my radar originally, but ended up being exactly what I wanted.

Congrats dude, looks great. I'm going to chalk this up as a win for me since I was that guy :hfive:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The three is an extremely common recommendation in this thread so don't feel like there's anything wrong going that route.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or, since Seraphimikey liked how the civic drove, an Acura of some flavor might be a good choice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What makes her think that there'll be $0 maintenance? There are still going to be wear items, unless I'm missing something. Also, you should sit down and actually calculate how much money you'd save. The amount of money you're putting to your van would pay off your leaf in something like a decade. You could also consider a used Prius if you want to feel smug.

Edit: there's also your last point. They'll still be making electric cars in five/ten years and they'll almost certainly be better.

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about a V6 Rav 4? They're pretty fast IIRC. I don't actually know anything about Rav 4's though so it may be a bad suggestion.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

Thanks for the advise!

I've heard such mixed review on rangers that I'm tending to avoid them (people seem to rave or rant without much middle ground ime). I've seen a couple colorados and dakotas in my price range but are usually either really high km or have some major mechanical or body concerns.

Frankly I'm just looking for a bridge truck for the next 3-5 years that I can drive into the dirt. I'll probably end up just snapping up whatever cheap and doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.

If it were me I'd be looking for a Ranger. I don't have empirical evidence or anything but they seem like a more reliable choice at the price points you're looking at. At least I seriously doubt the dakota or colorado would be better.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tested one out? They're really nice, especially as the trim level goes up. They've come a long way since your 1st gen.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

I would kind of like something with a tow hitch so I can mount a tow-hitch 4-bike tray style rack (might even be able to put that on the prius, dunno), but other than that, I am open to suggestions for a low-use second car with the most utility for a 4 person family that occasionally hauls 4 bikes.

You can get a hitch for the Prius:

http://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitch-and-towing/ecohitch/toyota/prius

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That thread actually has several people who've been carrying 4 bikes on hitch racks fine? The one person who had a bunch of problems seemed unrelated to the Prius itself and more something with how they were loading the bikes.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ripping the hitch off the frame thing one dude hypothesized or the people who probably would have had their bikes falling off the hitch rack regardless the car?

Someone did post pictures of their car loaded up on the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless your only choice for an ABS equipped car is a wrecked Chevy Corsica with hosed suspension that engages the ABS over speed bumps (I really should've pulled the drat fuse), you want ABS.

The ABS on my old Grand Marquis was like this and made me think I hated ABS. If you hit a bump or a patch of sand it'd kick on way too much and you'd lose a ton of braking power. Every car I've driven with ABS since has been totally unobjectionable.