Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is it true Ford and Stellantis are going factory order only for their car lines for '22?

So no Mustangs/Chargers or Challengers just chilling on lots waiting for a buyer, you need to order one with the 2-3 month lag time now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My wife ordered a '22 Gladiator from the factory. It's built, but has been sitting in holding waiting for shipping for over a week now. Is that just normal 'waiting for a slot on the train' or is their some bigger delay with rail traffic from Ohio/wherever Jeeps North East depot is to the NY area?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

My wife’s ‘22 Gladiator finally got to the dealer yesterday. She ordered it in mid October. It was built week of Thanksgiving and sat waiting for transit for almost a month.

I had to rent a 7 person SUV to do all the Christmas people moving since my work car (a fleet model 2018 Ford Fusion) can’t fit everybody and we got a godfather offer for our 2018 Traverse.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I keep pricing 2021 Mach 1s on the web site. I get “x-plan” pricing from my job but of course the Mach 1 isn’t eligible.

I sold my 03 Mach 1 a few months ago. Obviously the almost 20 year difference should favor the newer model. Should I just be looking at a well optioned GT instead? They qualify for x-plan and their are more of them in the wild.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

zedprime posted:

I haven't checked in recently with driving them but as of 10 years ago a GT already seemed like more car than is worth throwing at road driving and all the Mach 1 options sound very specifically like it's a track tuned GT. Are you gonna take it to a track at all? If you just want go fast at lights and on ramps a GT is gonna be fine.

I think the main advantage is the transmission and some of the engine bits borrowed from the discontinued GT350. I 100% don't need the optional handling package and all that.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Mach 1s are sexy GTs are lame.

:agreed:

But to zedprime point, why buy a car you're only going to use a portion of the capability.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Isn't the state of Florida suing them or something for not providing titles?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up my new Durango SRT 392 today. It was missing one of the fender badges from the factory.

Also the dealer didn't install the aluminum pedals but that was them being lazy, at least the petals were with the car.

Not quite as bad as the guy with the hellcat who got the SXT instrument cluster or the other guy who had a Vice White car and a White Knuckle bumper but the QC at the factory went to poo poo the past few months.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

No, no shipping protector on the chin spoiler.

Also today I learned that the Durango Hellcat oil change is $200plus because you have to take a portion of the bumper off to access the oil cooler drainplug a "feature" it shares with the Jeep Trackhawk.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Is it true Ford has parking lots full of 2020 models waiting for chips?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Whoa baby, 206k. Wild.

I always think these cars have such weird stories. Who thinks to spend 100k on a vehicle like an H1, then functionally keep it in a garage for 16 years until they feel comfortable selling it? I mean sure a handful of thousand miles, you can take it out on weekends, but are they really shooting for ROI or is it a total crap shoot whether any vehicle will be worth something after any other car from that time would depreciate to 0?

20 year old cars still in the factory shipping plastic on BaT blow my mind. Who spends that kind of money just to sit on it?

Their was a non-street legal factory Ford Performance drag mustang that somebody bought new for 100k back in the early '00s and then never drove or raced.

Motronic posted:

Don't forget that the average driver has never dealt with something that large - especially WIDE. It has to be terrifying for them to even drive down a 2 lane road.

The radio station I interned at in New York City had a few as their "Party Patrol" vehicles back in '98 or '99. That was always fun to drive around in Manhattan with.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Run the gently caress away from that dealer.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yep. The last thing I had that was truly hazardous to merge onto a highway with was a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II. Completely anemic motors (to that degree where you need to actually turn off the AC to make it better) just really aren't a thing anymore.

My 1st car was a 1985 Mitsubishi Montero and it could not accelerate for poo poo.

A few years later I had a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R. That thing was a loving hoot.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

My wife is not happy with her Gladiator and wants to get in a Grand Cherokee which is fine, but all the sudden dealers won’t take FCA affiliate pricing for cars on the lot.

Don’t they get a kick back from the manufacture on that?

I’m not talking crazy marked up stuff either. Starting point was MSRP.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Well I’m minus one 2022 Gladiator Rubicon and plus one 2022 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4.

It’s really nice.

The night vision / animal detection worked as advertised as a family of deer crossed the road.

I don’t hate the heads up display but I’m slightly to tall for it.

I tried to talk my wife into an Alfa Stelvio but she wanted something bigger.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume you've adjusted the HUD as much as possible - most of them you can adjust the position of the projection but it's not necessarily intuitive to do and requires messing around in menus.

I fiddled with the settings today and was able to adjust it. Once I was able to fine tune it I like it a lot. It's not distracting when driving normally and its nice to not have to glace all the way down or to the bottom right to see turn directions from the nav or the speedo.

In sport mode the v8 feels like it (though not nearly as loud as the Durango). It pulls hard and easy.

I played around with the driver assist. It easily took gentle curves on the highway at 65 with no issues. Kinda freaky when the car is driving itself with no feet on the pedals and hands barley touching the wheel.

It's a really nice SUV.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Inner Light posted:

The Grand Cherokee is a really nice one, probably the best American SUV that we have outside of luxo marquees. Enjoy it!

Maybe I missed but what's the biggest thing that took you away from the Gladiator, or you just didn't like it so it got traded in?

My wife had a '16 Wrangler when we got together and I had my '03 Mach 1. By the time baby 4 was on the way she got rid of the Wrangler and we got a Traverse to fit all the kids. The Traverse was fine, but it bored me to tears. Eventually I got rid of the Mustang and got a Durango SRT which made the Traverse expendable. Since my wife sacrificed the Wrangler for the sake of the family we agreed the Durango would be the load all the kids up car (I have an '18 Ford Fusion from my job for general commuting) and she could get a new Wrangler. She went to the dealer and fell in love with the Gladiator instead so she got that.

3 months of living with that she decided she didn't like it.

Her main complaints were the cramped cabin (she's 5'1" and not a large person at all so I don't get that one), the length, the lack of creature comforts she got used to in the Traverse such as 360 camera, ventilated seats, etc. The Rubicon trim was pretty full featured and the Uconnect 4c didn't suck, but it still was not as good as the Uconnect 5 in my Durango. The floatiness at highway speeds. The cabin noise even with the hard top with the optional sound proofing. Then her job started wanted people to come back into the office and all the sudden the stick shift wasn't as fun anymore. All of this was a concern of mine before she bought it, but happy wife happy life and she had her heart set on it.

I hated it because it wasn't quite a pickup and not quite a top off go to the beach car, lack of full time 4wd (on account of it being a manual), awful gas mileage for a v6. It got12mpg, that I chalked up to leaving it in 3rd or 4th most of the time and not bothering with 5th or 6th since the throttle response was obviously trash in the overdrive gears. I hated the size as well, drat thing was a foot or so longer then my Durango which is 200" long, but at least could fit the entire family with room for the dog or a suitcase.

If we actually went anywhere even unpaved then maybe it would of been useful but neither of us are into off roading or even going to out of the way wilderness spots on unpaved roads, the whole utility of the car was wasted.

She didn't have to twist my arm to get rid of it. The Grand Cherokee is a poo poo ton of fun.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Navigator vs Escalade vs Grand Wagonner

Fight!

Budget is 115 or so. The Escalade with the supercharged V8 is probably off the table.

I really liked the interior of the III Grand Wagonner.

Only Navigator I’ve been in recently was a car service taking me to the airport.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I have a 6 person family and my wife is sick of taking two cars every time we road trip. That’s the impetus for massive suv. I have my Durango but while we all fit the oldest kids are turning into teenagers and the limited 3rd row and the lack of cargo space in the Durango is sub optimal.

We took a car service to the airport a few weeks back and my wife fell in love with a Lux SUV that fit everyone ans a child car seat and full sized luggage.

She drove a grand Wagonner iii obsidian today and is in love with it. I’m going to try and get her to at least look at the other options. I don’t need an Escalade V, I already have the SRT.

My wife has a grand Cherokee summit right now and likes the familiarity of the Uconnect.

I don’t have any issues with Stelantis. My Durango is great, we’ve had zero issue with the 3-4 jeeps we’ve had over the years.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I tried to get my wife to sit in fully loaded out Hybid Pacifica and she wanted no part of it. For my money it would be the optimal solution.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

After a marathon day at 3 different dealers and 3 test drives went with the Grand Wagoner.

The interior of all 3 was great. It's a matter of degree for all 3. Edge to the Jeep for us was that the Obsidian trim replaced the interior wood (which my wife had in her Grand Cherokee and didn't love) with an brushed aluminum which she preferred more then the wood of either the Ford or the GM.

The wheels of the Lincoln we both thought were hideous and the chrome accenting pretty obnoxious. The Caddy was much more subdued (especially in the Sport Platinum trim model we looked at), but we both preferred the blacked out look of the Jeep. Cadillac had an "Onyx Package" that totally blacks out the car similarly to the Obsidian trim of the Jeep, but the dealer didn't have one on the lot.

The Caddy had the best lines to my eye as far as exterior styling. The Jeep is the worst of the 3, very boxy especial from the rear.

The Hurricane engine in the Jeep was as advertised. More power and torque then the 6.4 Hemi in my Durango, but relatively quiet even under throttle and imperceptible when cruising. The breaks felt a bit squishy to me, but my daily driver is over 1000 pounds lighter and has bigger breaks.
The v8 in the Caddy sounded great, but I felt myself feathering the pedal a bit wanting it to shift more aggressively. I didn't check to see if their was a "sport" mode or whatever that would of improved the feel for me. Breaks were solid and responsive.
The 3.5 Twin Turbo 6 in the Ford was fine, but the 60 or so hp gap with the Jeep was noticeable to me. My wife thought they felt about the same. Still, it was no slouch and moved the mass of the car just fine.

Ride quality was great in all 3. Pillow suspensions in all of them, no road noise what-so-ever, and easy steering.

No super cruise on the Cadilac on the lot. The Wagoner has the same system that was in our JGC, which I used all the time and was absolutely seamless going from the smaller to the bigger Jeep (my wife hates when i drive with just one hand lightly on the wheel and let the system steer the car on the highway). I didn't get a chance to use the BlueCruise on the Lincoln that much. The saleswoman was explaining the system works only on certain roads that are pre-mapped into the system. She didn't do a great job explaining it.

Rear seats and cargo were comparable in all 3. The 3rd row in the Jeep had a touch more space. Since we have two teenagers who are still 3-4 years away from driving but seemingly will be 6' any day now the extra couple of inches of headroom was nice. I'm 6'4 and fit fine in the 3rd row. The 3rd row sunroof was a hit with the kids. The cargo space in the Jeep is bigger by the specs, but looking at all 3 in person I didn't see a noticeable difference. The Navigator looked a touch smaller behind the 3rd row (and the specs bear that out) but again to the eyeball it was a minor difference. I can fit 3-4 kids and all their baseball stuff with no problem, which will help the car pool negotiations during the season.

Infotainment was an easy call due to familiarity with the UConnect 5 and the tons of screens in the Jeep. But all 3 systems were nice. Neither the Ford or GM had the passenger screen, which we liked in the JGC. The Jeep has an interior camera in the infotainment so you can just tap the right place twice and see the kids in the back without having to turn around. I thought that was a neat touch.

The heavy duty tow package was a 2k option on the Ford, 900 or so on the Jeep. I'm not towing a boat, so stock tow capacity on all 3 is fine for anything I would do, but that still seemed excessive.

The final straw was FCA Affliate pricing. The dealer honored our affiliate pricing with was 1% under invoice, which made a hassle free purchase. The Caddy dealer would not budge off MSRP (are Escalades in that high demand?), and the Ford store was going back and forth with the "let me check with my sales manager" nonsense.

So that's where we ended up. I feel we gave each one a chance to wow us, and we've owned Fords and GMs in the past with no issues, so its not a brand loyalty thing, but the Jeep was for my wife and I the best of the bunch.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 29, 2023

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I had to go to a 3rd dealer to find one (they had 3 total). The first two only had a used 22 Wagoneer (with the 5.7 Hemi) between them.

Acres of Grand Chrokee Larados though. Big change from ‘22 when we bought my wife’s JGC and two other people showed up on the lot to make an offer on the car when we were still signing the paperwork.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Giant dog owner checking in - I absolutely cannot lift our 50 kilo Newfoundland into our car when she’s tired, so we bought a doggy ramp. Fifty bucks well spent if it lets you buy a car that is otherwise suitable.

Dog ramp is a life saver. Our lab knows when the ramp comes out she's going for a ride and the tail wags start in earnest.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Explosionface posted:

My only story about the platform in general is that I had a chance to ride in a well-used Marauder last year, and even with (I think) 200k miles on it, it still seemed pretty solid overall.

That Ford all aluminum DOHC 4.6 was a nice motor.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

The mod motor? Are you serious?

I had one for 18 years or so in my Mach 1. It ran amazing and was bulletproof.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

No love for the Giulia Quadrifoglio?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

In the "tell me which car to buy" thread?

I'd get one if I had 6 figures to burn and wanted a sports sedan.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If any car is deserving of the Porsche thread title it's the QV. Except you need to be able to afford 3 if you keep it out of warranty.

They're cheaper then ever! My local dealer has a green one and they're taking 10k off the MSRP to start. I drive past the dealer every day and its tempting to just drop in and take it for a drive, but then I'll do something dumb and wind up buying it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah but I live very close to the dealership so I could easily catch an Uber to and from while I wait for them to fix it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I drove the green QV. I might do something stupid.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 1, 2023

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I really loved it. I didn’t think I would love it but I loved it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I actually made a pros/cons list.

The cons outnumbered the pros, but the pros were really compelling.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Done. Picked her up today.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How did you get home?

After the fuel pump went, flatbed tow truck.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

Where's the burnout footage!?

The break by wire system kills throttle when you apply the break so it’s apparently not easy to do without aftermarket gizmos hooked up to the OBD port.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

So I've seen Maserati's on FB that are 6-8 years old going for less than $20k. Is that a scam, or does the value drop that much that quickly? I mean, I would not mind getting a 6 figure car for low 5 figures, would I just be flushing that money down the toilet?

It's not the purchase price, it's the maintenance.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Buy the Italian car. Do it! What’s the worst that happens?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 19, 2023

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I got a freaking FIAT Panda from Naples to Venice without any major issues. It was slow and tiny but it got me there.

Only issue was that it threw a check engine light at me when I missed a downshift going 80 kmph but it drove fine and the code cleared on its own.

FIATs are fine!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Travic posted:

Proposed Budget:$50k-$60k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 2 door or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Mostly a fun daily driver to work (20 min). Maybe some fun driving on the weekend. But no track driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Moderate maintenance costs. Performance.

I'm mainly trying to decide between the Honda Civic Si and the Type R. This will be my first sports car. I'm excited by the Type R, but I'm worried about maintenance costs and it may be more car than I need since I'm not going to track it. In either case should I stick to new only. To avoid thrashed trade-ins?

You can get a Alfa Romeo Giulia at that price point. They checke all the boxes. Except maybe reliability, but that 2020+ models has a much better reputation then the 2017-2019 ones.

Join us (well me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The problem is folks are trying to buy Toyotas and Hondas instead of Alfa Romeo’s that can be had for 10k plus under sticker, even on premium trims!