Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Pirate Captain posted:

Since the early 2000’s, I’ve had a dream of owning a cool vintage car and am getting towards a financial position where that’s possible. I also know next to nothing about cars, just think they look cool.

With that backgound, a local auto repair shop that occasionally gets classic cars in has a ‘75 Corvette that looks the same as this one that they’re asking about $15k for. Seems cheap so I assume it’s not in the best shape, though the exterior looks perfect. I’m going to drive it tomorrow, but since I know nothing about cars, is there anything I should look out for? Or, does anyone have experience/knowledge/advice about 70’s Corvettes? FWIW, I’m pretty sure it’s the model with lower HP but I don’t care about that.

Be aware that even when new, cars 50 years ago were far less reliable and required far more maintenance than cars do today. Add in that it's 50 years old now, and plan on stuff breaking and needing fixing almost constantly. You will need to be aggressive about fixing every little thing as it arises and budget accordingly.

If you're cool with that, go for it. Otherwise, it's going to accumulate problems until it is undriveable and then it will just sit in your garage for a decade until you sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Pirate Captain posted:

Thanks for the replies! I looked in AI but couldn’t find a good thread to put the question in and didn’t want to start a new one just for this.

I don’t care even a little about performance, it could top out at 45mph and it wouldn’t affect my decision. I play video games for racing, no desire to do it in real life. Actually I think it would be fun to rev at a stoplight and peel out at 10mph.

Great point, I will definitely find out how much of it is original. I would prefer original over aftermarket. Does the low price suggest less after-market stuff?

Very much so. My father in law had a similar car back in the day and is willing to show me the basics, but I would love to learn as much as I can, time permitting. I’ve budgeted $2k/year in maintenance costs which seems reasonable given that I’d only be driving it for 5 months (bad winters here - would take short drives periodically so it doesn’t stagnate weather permitting). Does that sound realistic?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on the $2k budget as well. I full intend to keep it in great shape, and if I were even unable to, I would sell it before it got to that point. I have a romantic/perhaps unrealistic view of older cars and want as many of them out there as possible.

This is exactly the guy I want to be. Tackier sunglasses though.

I don’t know what any of this means, lol. But I genuinely do want to learn the basics of car upkeep/maintenance.

I'd budget $3k because it's a Corvette, but it's largely a crap shoot. Some years it will need almost nothing, but the next year it may have six major things fall apart.

Keep track of your expenses, so the next time someone asks what to budget to keep an old car going, you'll be the one with the advice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

can i get some recommendations on oil for my 2012 prius?

when googling i see suggestions that are as high as $100. it shouldn't be THAT high right?

It takes 0W-20. Walmart has 5-gallon jugs for as little as $20. Take your pick:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/0w-20-oil/91083_1104294_1072084_5802198

Anything that meets the recommendations in the owner's manual will be fine. Some people are extremely religious about specific brands. I am not.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

is there such thing as an open wheel car that's also easily registered and insured in the US? i wanna go fast and i wanna go dumb, but everything i look into (caterham, ariel, etc) are a bitch to register and insure in wa state.

Find an old Plymouth Prowler.

Here's some to look at:
Wimmer-RST KTM X-Bow GT
Polaris Slingshot Grand Touring Autocycle
Vanderhall Carmel Roadster

I know nothing about registering any of them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enjoy your Prius.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nitrox posted:

The Fiat version of a Miata, while looking better in my opinion, has a ticking time bomb under the hood.

What makes you say that? The Multiair engine has been extremely reliable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lucid Nonsense posted:

So I've seen Maserati's on FB that are 6-8 years old going for less than $20k. Is that a scam, or does the value drop that much that quickly? I mean, I would not mind getting a 6 figure car for low 5 figures, would I just be flushing that money down the toilet?

The purchase price is (almost) irrelevant. The maintenance costs will eat you up.

Multiply all ordinary maintenance and repair costs by 4.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Handsome Rob posted:

On the topic of Italian cars: my girlfriend has her eyes on a few 2013-2015 Fiat 500s. (Her Suzuki SX4 is rusting to death.) Any opinions here about these? I know they're tiny (a plus) and slow (not a concern). Surprisingly, we're seeing more manuals than automatics for sale -- seems like the better choice anyway, and she can learn on my car. We know all the old jokes, but what's Fiat reliability like these days?

Alternatively, any fun or at least fun-looking hatchbacks that can be had in reasonable shape around/under $10k she should be looking at? I know she should find a used Prius, she knows too, but she's resisting. Every time I've bought a car, I've had a very specific thing in mind, so this kind of broad shopping is new to me.

It being a 10-year-old car is going to be a bigger issue than it being a FIAT.

500s are fun little cars. They inspire a lot of passion, both pro- and anti-. They are not good on the highway, so if she is planning on a lot of long hauls in it you may want to consider something else. For city driving and grocery-getting and such it's great. Its reliability is kind of average, probably better than a Suzuki.

A VW GTI is worth a look as an alternative.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Beef Eater posted:

I'm looking for a car. My goal is to spend as little as possible over the next 5 years, including gas, maintenance and the price of the car itself. I drive an average of 10 miles a day. Any recommendations?

At 3600 miles per year, it almost doesn't matter what you buy. The differences in costs of gas and maintenance are going to be negligible.

Lower maintenance will mean a higher purchase price. Buy a Chevy for $2000 or a Prius for $5000, in five years the net cost will be about the same.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Is negotiating just not a real thing :confused:

You can try. It depends on how badly they want to move the car you're buying.

They will generally try to fake you out, though. Move numbers around so you think you're getting something, but the final total is the same, regardless.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

I agreed finding towing with ACC for $20k is unobtainable, but if I omit ACC a midsize of half ton pickup is probably not a terrible idea.

But I genuinely don't care about 4 wheel drive, it only snows once or twice a year here and 4wd doesn't improve stopping on ice. I also don't need a 3rd row, but I would like a decent trunk space, possibly something that could fit plywood inside but I'm certain my price range would necessitate hauling plywood on a roof rack or trailer.

As for the Roadmaster, I used to lust for a Corvette powered land yacht, but I'm not enough to drive a Buick, even if it is (relatively) fast and beautiful.

Minivans will eat 4x8 plywood. 12' long boards will fit, too. Plus seating for 7. And they can tow.

Just sayin.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I was about to make a comment about transmission health towing at a minivans limit, then I realized I have no clue the CVT in the Sienna even does under heavy load.

I did check and Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid, you never change the trans fluid.

An Odyssey or Sienna can tow 3500 pounds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

What's the best approach to finding a competitive new car loan rate? I'll start with my banks but should I be calling around to local credit unions etc? Any online tools?

Credit unions will almost always have the best rates. Dealers themselves can have lower rates for special promotions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

I'm on the market for a new-ish sedan. I've involved a brokerage to handle the worst of it for me, but I'm still really vague on what models I should be most excited about. The agent said something about Fords or a Honda, though she's going to look around at what's available right now in my budget range. I currently drive a Ford Focus I love, but I don't know poo poo about Hondas. Are there any models in particular I should be excited about or wary of?

Look at the first post in the thread for a template to help define what you're looking for so we can give you better advice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thread favorites Mazda 3 and Toyota Prius are strong candidates as well.

Get out and drive a few to see what you like.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

I think I hate my broker. She keeps throwing stuff at me that doesn't meet my requirements (too big, too old, too manual transmission) and is saying I'm pretty much on my own for test driving, which she warns is risky because the dealerships won't work with me if they find out I have a broker. If I'd known that I would have done things differently.

Gonna try to deke around her to reach her boss and ask him for help. The brokerage has hundreds of 5-star reviews, but they all mention him or other staff, never the woman I'm stuck working with.

Don't mention a broker. Say you had your eye on a particular car and would like to test drive it. If they ask, tell them you saw it in their online inventory. After the drive, tell them you're in the early stages and just getting a feel for the market. Then you can go home and talk to the broker about it if you liked it. You're allowed to be devious.

Test driving is not a big deal. You need to do it before you buy one, but it's a routine thing that goes on every day at a dealer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

Testing driving a Honda HR-V tomorrow. What should I keep in mind while driving it? I've never test driven something before.

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a15105213/how-to-test-drive-a-car/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Thanks for the sanity check, I was absolutely rushing to consider stupid options out of a desire to get back on wheels. The hunt resumes with new rules and a search radius narrowed to 20 miles :V

Sometimes you do have to take a chance on something you would otherwise reject when you are in a time crunch and absolutely have to have wheels now, and it's the best available. Life happens, you don't always get optimum conditions.

Take as much time as you can, but if you have to take a leap on something, cross your fingers and hope there aren't any surprises. An ex-rental is probably fine, but the odds of getting a lemon are higher.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An alternative when you're in a time pinch is to buy the cheapest piece of junk you can find that will do the job for the short term. Plan on owning it only for a few months and just write off the cost of it.

Use the time it buys you to learn the market and settle on the right car that you plan to keep.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Prius

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Since "nice to drive" is on your list, I'll suggest a Mazda 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know but I'm used to walking into a store and picking out what I want and then paying for it (or ordering it online). So I'm more asking about the process for buying a car because it's not just "walk into a deal ship and pick a car you want and swipe your card".

It can be if the credit limit on your card is high enough.

Generally, you're better off arranging a loan separately.

You need to set a budget for what you can afford to spend, then determine what you need the car to do and figure out what make/model will fit. Then look at the intersection of price and models to find specific cars to try out.

Test drive a few to find out which you feel comfortable in.

Then you whip out your credit card and drive it home.