Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Proposed Budget: Under 10K Hopefully under 5K
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Pickup Truck.
How will you be using the car?: I would be towing a 14' trailer on weekends. Most likely within my city but maybe on occasion up to 100 miles. It could have up to 1000 lbs of equipment in it so the towing capacity should be at least 3000 lbs. I would ideally like it to be a little more than that just for safety and in case I need to put a little extra in it. This isn't a daily driver or anything like that so it can be ugly as sin I guess I'm just looking for a powerful,reliable, and cheap pickup truck.

If it's even possible....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Pympede posted:

What about the other side of this equation - selling your current car? Anybody have any advice for selling a car on craigslist?

Avoid the obvious Nigerian scams. Have good photos and clean your car ahead of time. Have the mileage written down. Meet in a public place where other people are around. Price it 20% higher because Craigslist people love haggling. It's pretty easy/ no-brainer.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

TheReverend posted:

Proposed Budget: Under 10K Hopefully under 5K
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Pickup Truck.
How will you be using the car?: I would be towing a 14' trailer on weekends. Most likely within my city but maybe on occasion up to 100 miles. It could have up to 1000 lbs of equipment in it so the towing capacity should be at least 3000 lbs. I would ideally like it to be a little more than that just for safety and in case I need to put a little extra in it. This isn't a daily driver or anything like that so it can be ugly as sin I guess I'm just looking for a powerful,reliable, and cheap pickup truck.

If it's even possible....

So I'm looking at an 04 Avalanche . 138K miles for $6800. Please share your opinions.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I guess I forgot to mention that my "New Plan (R)(TM)" would involve me giving my wife my sedan and this "nicer than I was looking for" truck would be my main vehicle too (instead of having 2 regular use vehicles and a third occasional use one).

The good news is that my commute is not everyday nor far so hopefully it won't be too much of a hit for the increased gasoline use.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I may get a job that's a ~110-120 mile round trip commute for 12 months. (I'll move after that point for "reasons").

My car is a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche that I use to pull a trailer for my super small side business.

Truck is going to stay, but I'm wondering if I should look into another car or drive the gas guzzler?

Avalanche gets 15MPG.

Should I look for a smaller commuter car? What kind should I get. I'd like to keep it under 10k, 35+mpg highway (if possible) be cheap on maintenance and be comfortable inside.
If you make it "fun" somehow that would be grand as well.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

euphronius posted:

Find a carpool?

They don't exist because most people would never make this dumb trip (I am a dummy :( ).

But it will pay well!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok so my scenario (possibly) now is:

-Drive paid for 2004 Avalanche 120 miles a day @ 15 mpg. (150k miles)

-Buy a 2011 Jetta TDI for 10k @ 45 mpg? (50k miles)

The differential in fuel should pay for the Jetta. The Jetta should also be able to handle the stress better with it's lower miles and be more reliable (important).

What do you guys think? This would be for 12 months. After that point we'd move closer possibly (about 60 mi a day).

Truck probably stays either way because I used it to pull a trailer on the side.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alright I'll look for some sorta Japanese thing then.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Can you help me understand something though?

The Hybrids get their economy from regenerative braking right?

If I'm on the highway, is a hybrid really going to make a difference for me since I'm not going to brake that often?

That's where I get confused.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Word.
I'll look for those then, thanks.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I'm having trouble finding 2nd gen priuses available. Is third gen ok?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok found a gen2 with 70k under $10k.

Is there a limit on the miles. Anything I need to know like timing belts @70 or something.

is 70k too many miles for a prius? They should be good for at least 150 or so, right?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Wikipedia tells me 03-09

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hey speaking of nice cars. Assuming one wants a Lexus type car, has the budget of a Lexus type car (45k?) but has mental hangups about spending that much, what should they get?
Toyota Avalon?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Awesome. Thanks bud. Lexus is kinda what I am after once I move later this year.

One question for learning's sake: Why is there an exception for those German brands?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Nah that's be pointless as I'm looking for something comfortable to be stuck in traffic in. Driving a Porsche on 285 would just make me sad.

I'll still probably end up driving this Prius until it dies.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My dumb Prius that I have (and needed for my 125 mi roundtrip daily commute) is still going and I plan to ride that bitch to the day it dies.

But it's pretty boring.

Now I have a 7 mi commute.

I'm just kinda daydreaming about what car I'd actually like, and I can't think of anything that isn't grossly expensive. For what it's worth, the last car I had that I liked was 4 cars ago and it was a Lincoln Town Car.
I guess I just liked that the V8 could get it going pretty quickly and it was really comfortable and smooth. Do they make anything like that anymore?

Left to my own devices I'm probably going to get a ... Avalon?!

Part of me says it's a 7 mi commute, just always have a beater.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

With a 7 mile commute, you can get pretty much any car you want. You won't be driving it enough that the differences in fuel economy or reliability will matter much.

I guess the main factor would be what you would want to use it for when you're not commuting.

Wife wants a kid and she's agreed that she'd be the one stuck with the "kid car".

I guess I need to figure that out. We live a suburban lifestyle so occasionally we need to move new furniture or something stupid. For these instances I think I'd rather just rent a U-Haul.

I've never had a sports / sporty car. In my mind I think it'd be rad. On the other hand, my drive to and from work is a solid 40 mph (in traffic) the whole way so I think it'd get frustrating.

This is a good question I will have to think on it. Maybe just get a sport-bike for my (possible, unverified) need for speed.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Proposed Budget: 40K give or take.
New or Used: New or slightly used( < 22 k miles or so)
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly driving 9 miles to work. Getting groceries. Occasional trips to see different sets of family about an hour away (30 - 50 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. I'm thinking either luxury or sporty but not sure. I'll give some examples of cars I've recently test driven and what I thought. Maybe goons can help me get my life in order!

Summary: I used to drive 130 miles a day to get to work. Now I drive less than 20 (rounds tip totals).
Currently have a Prius (thanks for the recommendation, thread). It works. It has 150K miles on it but I'm not exactly thrilled with it as it's a very utilitarian car. I'll probably keep driving it until expensive repairs are needed but I'm wondering "what's next?". I haven't had a car I liked in a while so I'm investigating.

Some of this may also be "pre midlife crisis" as there is a baby on the way. So I'll need a car I can put a baby seat in. I guess this means no Corvettes?

I recently test drove:

* Model 3: Holy gently caress did I enjoy this car. Only problem is that it's pretty pricey, and I'm afraid by the time the 35K dollar one rolls around it'll be gimped. The one I test drove was the Extended range and I loved all the tech and the torque available at any speed.

* Mustang GT: I'm a big ole goon and I'm surprised by how much room was in the driver's seat. Accelerated like a boss but with some hard shifts. I think it had all the minimal features I'd want but with 450 hp or something ridiculous.

* ES350: Not sure what's the difference between this and a nice trim Avalon? meh.

* GS350: A little bit more fun than the ES I guess?!

* Honda Accord Touring V6: Yeah it's a car alright... HUD is kinda neat.

My commute is rather bland. Either traffic heavy highways or traffic heavy background. Usually only takes 15- 20 minutes to get there in the AM and 20- 25 in the PM. I guess having a fuckoff powerful car doesn't make sense as I'm not going faster than 35 - 45 ? So maybe something more luxurious?

Or maybe I shouldn't try to find excitement in happiness in a car and just find better hobbies?!

I don't know. I do know I digged that Model 3 though. Would it last past the first 90 days? Seems like a bit of a gamble.

This is my E/N car post I guess!

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 16, 2018

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah Avalon isn't necessary bad, just not sure why I'd pay for it to say ES.

I'll go check out a Stinger.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My office buddy has a 6 and that's why I haven't considered them. Everyone makes jokes that we're "work husbands" to each other.

Childish, so I'll reconsider the 6.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

euphronius posted:

What cars look good to you ?

Not sure. I know this sounds like a "goon in the well" problem.
So far Model 3 has been the most memorable experience.
I guess I just have to wait and see that the interior is still nice and the performance is acceptable on the 35000 dollar version (if it ever comes to reality {big if?} )

nm posted:

gently caress it, buy a used IS-f.
Why would you drive and es and a gas but not an is?
A used IS F is possibly the closest thing to a cheap(ish), fast, and reliable car.

I'm a bit fat and thought maybe it could be a tight squeeze. Of course I should lose some weight (and have before) but I'll give it a go.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I've been avoiding German cars because I hear stories about how expensive they are to keep running. Is VW/Audi better in that regard compared to BMW/Mercedes?

Because that car does look nice!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Just for fun, how bad is an 06 S Type?
There's one with 118k miles for like 4k.

This car will never run, right?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I had a few drinks but I was pretty sure it was a bad car. Thanks for clarifying!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Not sure wtf a moon roof is but I've had 4 cars with sun roofs and 3 of em have leaked.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok then I had moonroofs then.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I've decided that once this Prius of mine dies, a model 3 just won't be cheap enough for what I want it to do.

I had decent fun test driving a Mustang GT Premium.

Are those garbage cars? I never got a chance to try the adaptive cruise control though.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

What do you all think about barely used Continentals?

Looks like they depreciate hardcore and I loved my town car (believe it or not).

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok thanks. I've had a fusion and that wasn't anything special. And I don't like snowflake parts!

RIP town car.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My weight lifting coach has 3 Italian exotics, all insured through GEICO.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Has he ever had to make an actual claim?

Not to my knowledge, no.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My 2010 Prius cvt is boring AF.

Reliable though.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Go enlist for a year, get that sweet USAA.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Anyone hosed around with new Mercedes A class?

How bad are they ?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why do you want one

Not sure. They're new so I don't know if they are bad.

Might be ok entry level luxury car?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Makes sense. Thanks!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah to be clear, I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm just a know nothing trying to figure what the next car is once the Prius dies.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I drove 125 mi roundtrip for work for 2 years.

Used Prius!!!!

Boring, but affordable and reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Do friends let friends buy Maxima's?