Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought it was particularly interesting that Rick commented on how killing zombies felt more like a job than anything scary.

It would be great to see this whole thing wrap up in 100. Introducing a new not-crazy settlement could be the happiest ending possible. Having Rick too-crazy for Good Town could also be a plausible issue 100 ending.

poo poo, who am I kidding? Rick is going to be fighting those Something to Fear dudes in a gladiator pit until issue 102. There's no way they're going to end this while the series is on AMC.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there anything solid about what Fear Itself is? I kind of hate teasers at this point in my life.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It just now occurred to me that we probably haven't seen Compendium 2 because it would be silly to make Compendium 3 six issues long and 1/4" thick. (Assuming this wraps up at 100.)

But poo poo, he has five issues to kill everybody off and I think he's lost the taste for it. I mean, ugh Carl.

Was this issue the first use of "undead"? That's the closest to the z-word they have ever come.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

goodfuldead posted:

I don't understand all the hate on the comic.

I love the comic, but Hilltop looks like a great and natural place to conclude this story. I'd rather see this wrap up tidy than drag out indefinitely and peter off into a parade of near-death experiences for Carl.

TWD has the potential to end here as one of the better all-time comics. I just don't think this story has enough steam left to power an ongoing series anymore. We're clearly in the third act, everyone loved the show, don't be afraid to drop the curtain when it's over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If that's the case I am going to be pissed that I wasted 96 issues reading about Rick's friends instead of these crafty motherfuckers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Matt Cruea posted:

that big 125th issue flashback that shows Carl getting finally slaughtered.

You mean Carl's brain damage manifesting in a personality change where he slaughters everyone. But other than that, you're 100% correct.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Orchards and most fields can survive unattended for some time. They won't be as prosperous without farmers, but I doubt looters were harvesting acres of crops when the zombies came.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The sound effect comes like four panels after the shot. For me, Abe's death was overshadowed by deciphering what order the panels get read in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just re-read it, and somehow I missed the "THOKK!" in the panel when he gets shot.

I must have seen the big arrow-face, and then got confused in the next pane where there's a "WHUDD!" and reaction.

It seems like we've seen two-face before, but that could just be consistency of character design.

Last-page psych-out? Check.

And the link on the back cover takes you to a countdown timer and some fluff. I couldn't yawn harder intentionally.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So they're trotting out the Rick may die card for 100. Far be it for comic book covers to mislead, but if Rick makes it to the end of 100 they'll have a warehouse of unsold 101s.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

foxatee posted:

I'm betting on Andrea and Co..

It looks like there's a confirming spoiler on the loving cover.

Andrea is lying in the pile of everyone who's died in Walking Dead. Could be someone else though, because :effort faces.

I just noticed the little baby arm poking out under Lori, though. :cry:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Negan's dialogue is basically Kirkman's writing process.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Brain Aged posted:

I think at this point I would almost rather they abandon the current characters completely and maybe pick up somewhere else in the world with a new cast.

I agree entirely with this. Pretty much the best thing they could do is show a different group, and maybe loosely tie it to the first one. Then they find the burnt out remains of Hilltop and we never find out what exactly happened to Rick but we already stopped caring about him thirty issues ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, looking back over the past couple pages people are crazy harsh on Kirkman.

100 was a great issue, but it was a terrible Issue 100. Especially since the narrative had been dragging it's feet with barely-there filler to build up to it, and all the promotion that had gone into it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If that doesn't happen in 101 I will be as disappointed as I've come to expect.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Everybody try to act surprised when Rick loses it and gets medieval and OH NO CARL SAW HIM HE IS A MONSTER! in 102.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just realized that 101 was the crossbow cover and we didn't get Daryl. That sucks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like now they're just punishing me for buying monthly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess it'll be ironic when he gets castrated? This issue was annoying. You could sum it up in a TV guide blurb and not loose anything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Walking Dead issue 102. Drama/Horror. Jesus trails Two Face. Rick confides in Andrea. Neegan takes more than half. 28 pages.

In retrospect, Neegan probably isn't going to lose his dick but that baseball bat is certainly going up his rear end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So the last two issues have been good! It's exciting to see things happening again, and fun to think about how it'll resolve.

Especially liked the tour of the mill, it was exposition but it was well done. Having an unreliable narrator always helps.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That sounds like a very reasonable assessment. If you added in something about Negan losing his dick or getting sodomized by Lucile, I'd accuse you of being secret Kirkman.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can I be the first to make an Ironed Man joke or did someone already beat me to it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

therealjon_ posted:

I actually really liked #107.

Until the end where we are apparently going to meet the wise and powerful George Clinton.

The best thing that could happen to TWD is a Scooby-Doo style celebrity guest appearance. That's really him, and he's been living on the Mothership with Bootsie and the other P-Funk Allstars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There were a lot of things I really liked about this issue. The horseman dropping his Medieval Times speech when he recognized Jesus was expressive writing that conveyed a lot. Ezekiel was good! Shiva was good! But what really got me was that for the first time I can remember the cliffhanger isn't just a predictable tease for next month's issue, because Dwight has serious motivation to go either way.

So yeah, more of this please.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The pacing is just so brutally slow with the monthlies. That and every issue I can remember summarizes down to A violent thing happens as Rick and company prepare for next month's exiting issue!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I called it earlier, but it'll involve Lucille up in his rear end and probably his face getting ironed. I also expect Negan to makes strange detached jokes about it while it's happening, emphasizing what a weirdo he is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was super disappointed when they followed a two-page BANG! splash page with the usual cop-out. It's funny how something like that can get your hopes up that they're out of a rut - or that he can still trick me into thinking something will happen.

It was funny because I accidentally read half a spoiler and thought that situation would resolve differently.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo this would be the best way to end Rick as the main character. No way it'll happen, but watching Rick's group assimilated into the Saviors would make for great comics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like the fake out that this was going to be a siege, when it was really just a huge walker baiting operation. And I love that Negan figured that out immediately.

I can't remember who Holly is, but I enjoy that I really don't know what's going to happen to her. Negan is endearingly inconsistent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, did he draw her substantially younger this issue?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was trying to explain Negan to a friend who watches the show, and he was like "I hope they get Eli Roth" and I couldn't disagree.

I'm really enjoying the larger-than-life survivors at this point. Negan and not-George Clinton would probably have gotten the same eyeroll reception Michonne did, but the world keeps getting stranger and it makes for a more interesting world. I really don't know how this arc is going to end.

I've got a hunch Jesus is going to end up in charge of the Saviors in a not especially poetic twist, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Negan is cool but I hope it's actually an intentional point that he has a very poor grasp of reality because some of the stuff he says and does makes absulutely zero sense.

I think that's actually what's happening here. He's got a lot of faces to iron, how can he possibly keep them all straight?

Unless it's a metajoke about how Adlard draws similar faces - but I don't think Kirkman's that self aware. Negan's been a mouthpiece for Kirkman before, but that's reaching pretty far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That bummed me out, but at least it was meaningful. Also she was probably too hard to draw.

I didn't even recognize that was Maggie until she said her name.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah bringing a tiger to a gunfight could have ended more predictably. That much was a nice surprise, at least.

I think he can finally emotionally bond with Michonne now, so good for those two?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's got a dark sense of humor about violence, good comedic timing, and could pull off a great charming rear end in a top hat character. He'd would bring a lot to the character. The baseball bat thing is just type-casting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OTOH, we don't know that the zombie virus doesn't affect tigers because we've never seen one die in-universe.

(Didn't the murdertwins' vivisected cat reanimate?)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean, we've seen lots of dead animals so we assume it only works on humans reanimate. But we've never been seen a dead tiger, so he could establish that it works for humans. He won't actually do this (because it's a silly idea) but it would shake things up a bit.

I do wonder if there are zombie near-humans in TWD universe. Some primates are very genetically similar to us, and a small pack of zombie spider monkeys or mandrills could be more interesting than the endless zombies and raiders.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really like when TWD zombies behave unexpectedly, but we're seeing so much less of that now. I guess it's a result of years of material establishing what they're capable and incapable of, but I miss finding them in "praying" in the church and loitering around Morgan's house. That had a creepy vibe that the more mindless, predictable ones don't really convey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure those were both originally in the comics. It Initially seems like "lurking" is a hunting technique, since they're disguised as corpses but I feel like that had a different explanation.

The show added a few instances of human-like behavior, like when one uses a rock to break a window. Didn't they climb a ladder in both season one of the show and the early comics?

• Locked thread