Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Season 2 had some promise in the latter half, with the owls and the woods and the major and whatnot, but they kept circling around it without deepening the mystery or tension until too late.

Also, I think on the show commentaries, they pretty much say that Lynch came up with the Log Lady character, but Frost put her in so she made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Here's something I never really saw confirmed: Who (or what, even) were the black-clad characters in the background of Season 1? I mean, some of them might have been red herrings or for intimidation, but did we ever really find out who came to visit Leo? Or any other times they showed up?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I'm with the idea that the Red Room is a waiting room/semi-physical place that those open to the mystic (tangent below) can access, and then depending on circumstance, can explore/get invaded by the power of the lodges/their own spirit.

Right, so, with Coop's behaviour and speeches in season one vs. one-armed Mike and Hawk's later talk, and previous stuff about shamanic lodges, it's clear that the more spiritually open or aware someone is, or in line with shamanic tradition (clearing one's mind a la 'Tibet'), the more susceptible they are to interacting with the lodges regardless of their deeds (Leland), or if they actively wander into the Grove. The idea seems to fit, anyway. The Log Lady actively defies/channels it, the Major wanders into it, etc.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Thing is, budget amounts and potential revenues mean jack poo poo to the public, because even tv production doesn't really know what's required or how things will end up. It's all educated guesswork. So unless there's a production accountant out there, I doubt number would make much sense to us.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Those clips make the start of this sketch make so much more sense:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3374596cf8/david-lynch-presents-new-twin-peaks-blu-ray

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Baloogan posted:

you are not a good surrealist. or funny.

ham

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Party Boat posted:

And every episode give yourself a present.

FINE CUP OF COFFEE, COOP

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Audrey's Dance is like one of those background jingles I think of when I think of the show, and BAM horns and then back to cool oboes and poo poo.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

WHATS THAT COOP

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZEdjxwCew

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Here's my reaction to that:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Youuuuuuuuuuu

Harley C posted:

That won't be happening now :( RIP

Oh. Welp, this is how I found out, I guess.
I doubt mortality is something that can stymie Lynch.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 11, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

kaworu posted:

I actually that the best work he every did was for one of Lynch's incredibly underrated masterpieces- The Straight Story, starring Richard Farnsworth in an unbelievably powerful powerful performance.

Goddamn, man. Good stuff.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

And More posted:

That's what female Legos look like, though. :shrug:

Not Lego Friends (tm), though! They look just like you and your gal pals!

fuuuck those things

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I have enough faith that they won't retread old ground that much, but what that means to Lynch is anyone's guess.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

And fish not in percolators.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I'm a pretty big nerd that has his speech as a quote in my journal and also on a printout that makes its way onto my wall sometimes.

RIP

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Both Laura Palmer figures seem a little tasteless to me.

Who doesn't want an iconic corpse of a young girl on their shelf?!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, you should take that to mean it's darker and nightmarish, as well.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Oh, and since I don't remember seeing it linked before, there's also the Twin Peaks Rewatchcast by the boys at SA favourite Idle Thumbs.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/

I haven't started it yet, but I'm sure it's just as jokey and pretentious as anything else on the Idle network.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I think, with the times we're in, and Lynch always being able to see the quirky optimism in people, that there will be a bittersweet-to-slightly-upbeat turn for the Lodge(s) and the townsfolk. Kinda like the very end of True Detective S1.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 20, 2017

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Forgot an important qualifier in there.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Where's Annie??

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Diane, I'm entering the town of... extremely fabulous men!

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/inspiration/twin-peaks-men-pin-ups/

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, they're being incredibly cryptic and not actually showing any characters or dialogue from the new portion yet. Normally that would hint that a production is trying too hard to be mysterious, but it looks like they're generally trying to be spoiler-free and keep up the mystery.

First two parts on the 21st! Then 2 more a week after!
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/1-and-2

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Captain_Person posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere that the first two episodes are airing together, with episodes three and four streaming online afterwards?

Looks like streaming is scheduled to be after the premiere for folks what pay for Showtime's online, I dunno, I'm not USerican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I just don't want him boxed in by previous threads. And knowing Lynch, he won't be. He'll pick up the ones he likes and drop the others and in general leave people wondering what the gently caress which is why he owns.

• Locked thread