Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

bull3964 posted:

The question is the funding.

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.
I dunno, I have to pay about $50 on average to get my vehicles inspected at an inspection place where inspections is all they do, normally takes them around 20 minutes. They seem to be doing alright, business being pretty steady by law. It used to all be run buy the government but now it's independent contractors.
Anyways on the whole i'm glad it's a mandatory thing. It sucks to fail over an inoperable foglight or something dumb like that but I've had to fix rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and seatbelts after a failed inspection which are all good and valid reasons for failure IMO. Also a re-visit for them looking over a fix of a specific previous failure is significantly cheaper and you usually get a month to carry out the work where I live. Pretty reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bull3964 posted:

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.

There are hundreds of inspection locations in Finland and they seem to operate profitably just fine. They can manage with minimal personnel and equipment, the customer base is pretty guaranteed and it's difficult to reduce prices significantly by competitors

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

There is more money in safety/emissions than in fixing cars for a sizable part of the European continent. A badly working car is unpleasant, a car that fails the inspection can be impounded or destroyed depending on the country, so people will search for a shop whose standards can be negotiated for an acceptable amount.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry to keep dragging this poo poo along...

bull3964 posted:

just be like the good ole US and A.. Inspections themselves are not profitable. they're mandated at ~20 dollars in my state including emissions ODB2 check..
They become profitable when you tell people you need to fail them for the brakes they put on 6 months go (I've had 2 shops do this) and now it's $600 for $150 in parts and an hour of labor. Especially when someone is past due for their inspection because then the sticker gets scraped.. you don't even get to "risk it" with the right color sticker for the year and the old date. (But also insepctions are tied to your plate at the DMV so I'm assuming cop's plate readers can see them)

IMO safety inspections should occur everywhere to prevent the scary rear end poo poo-boxes with rotted frames we see on just rolled in. Emissions inspections I"m torn on, my state exempts cars 25 years old or older, but at 15 or so years old many cars value is eclipsed by a dead catalyst, or an exhaust manifold leak, or diagnosing a dead sensor or two. I've see many a car end up in the scrapyard because the emissions system repairs were the full value or 1/3 of the value of the vehicle. At that point it's hard to weigh the environmental impact of a dirty vehicle vs manufacturing of a new vehicle and crushing the old one.

Issue is, 100% have to be run by the government as a whole (state or fed), with govt trained folks who do just the inspections all day.
This would be better than for profit repair shops doing them and gaining a profit, and all they do is inspections all day, no turning folks around because they need to focus on other things, or upselling to turn that $21 for 45 mins into something meaningful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tater_salad posted:

They become profitable when you tell people you need to fail them for the brakes they put on 6 months go (I've had 2 shops do this) and now it's $600 for $150 in parts and an hour of labor. Especially when someone is past due for their inspection because then the sticker gets scraped.. you don't even get to "risk it" with the right color sticker for the year and the old date. (But also insepctions are tied to your plate at the DMV so I'm assuming cop's plate readers can see them)

That's exactly what I said we needed to get away from. I'm in the US, this system sucks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tater_salad posted:

Emissions inspections I"m torn on, my state exempts cars 25 years old or older, but at 15 or so years old many cars value is eclipsed by a dead catalyst, or an exhaust manifold leak, or diagnosing a dead sensor or two. I've see many a car end up in the scrapyard because the emissions system repairs were the full value or 1/3 of the value of the vehicle. At that point it's hard to weigh the environmental impact of a dirty vehicle vs manufacturing of a new vehicle and crushing the old one.

We do have full exemptions for historical vehicles and i usually have to use my windshield washers if i stay behind one going uphill due to the soot coming from the exhaust. I would love to remove public road usage right for those cars since people daily environmental disasters to not get emissions checks and heavily discounted insurance.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The Door Frame posted:

The government doesn't directly test the safety of cars leaving the factory, you think they'd accept the responsibility of directly testing cars that are already on the road?

That's what Delaware does.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PhotoKirk posted:

Ever watched the videos from Australia where the cops get super-duper-excited about catching a driver who has modified a car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6eCFGYR5A

Nothing like giving cops more arbitrary laws to enforce on a whim...

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/mad-max-interceptor-replica-deemed-cool-looking-but-unsafe-by-the-australian-police/

Yeah, ironically, the Interceptor, a cop car, has never been legal in Australia.
It's always amused me that blowers through the hood and zoomies are completely illegal on the street in Oz - and how many cars still do it.

I'm not thrilled that Texas is removing the safety inspection requirement in 2025. There's enough junk on the road as is.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Is no one going to talk about the vice grip window winder?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The other day I was on the takeoff roll and just before rotation speed I heard a loud bang. Training kicked in and I pulled the power to abort the takeoff and contacted tower with my intentions.

Crisis averted. But now the fun part. What I thought would be a simple replacement has turned into a nightmare.

quote:

Composites fabricator here. I can't help you with a replacement, but I can say that your original spinner was crap. Looking at the full-res photo, it appears to be an inner and outer ply of coarse cloth, with some random-strand mat in between. It looks to me like Piper really cheaped out on this bit of kit.

The front fell off.

No more cardboard or cardboard derivatives.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

slothrop posted:

Is no one going to talk about the vice grip window winder?

that's the least surprising thing about the video

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Platystemon posted:

The front fell off.

Bondo is a perfectly fine building material

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The front fell off.

It looks like they completely failed to fully impregnate the glass cloth/mat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel posted:

The OEM charges eight thousand dollars for a replacement.

🤣

(This model of plane happens to be flyable without the spinner. It just results in an ærodynamic penalty to performance. That is not true for all aircraft. It’s common for cooling airflow over the cylinders to be disrupted by the spinner’s absence.)

e: To be clear, this is an airplane that belongs to some Redditor. Not me or anyone I know.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 5, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Pull out game good af.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Pull out game good af.

LOL

Platystemon posted:

The OEM charges eight thousand dollars for a replacement.

🤣

Clearly worth it for the quality of OEM. Oh, wait.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And since it's an aircraft, I bet there are regulations saying you can't just go ask someone to hammer out a sheet metal spinner for you instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

And since it's an aircraft, I bet there are regulations saying you can't just go ask someone to hammer out a sheet metal spinner for you instead.

There’s a process for “owner-produced parts” that can help, but you certainly can’t get someone to hammer out a sheet metal spinner because that doesn’t conform to the original design of shittily resin-impregnated cloth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The original part was only 75% impregnated with resin, and this new part is 98%. This plane is grounded until you get an appropriate part.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guess my basic question is wouldn't this failure be reported and someone would need to fill out a shitload of paperwork.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Boeing murders people with their lovely planes. You think any authority is going to freak out over a private plane having a small oopsie?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering people do get routinely dinged for fines for posting plane violations on youtube, yes.

Boeing has a lot of money and connections to bury their crimes.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Isn't that due to pilot behavior, not mechanical issues?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The owner of the plane is not getting in trouble for having the spinner explode. That type of mechanical failure is not a reportable incident unless it caused an accident, or if it caused more than $25,000 of damage to something other than the airplane (say if pieces of it got launched through the Cirrus in the next parking spot).

Even if it had caused an accident, the owner still wouldn't get in trouble unless the logs showed that they hadn't been keeping up with maintenance. The mechanic who signed off on it most recently might get in trouble if the spinner had to undergo some sort of regular inspection that would have caught the flaw, and that inspection was performed poorly or not at all.

If there was any sort of investigation and the FAA determined that there was a manufacturing defect in the spinner, Piper would be at fault, but they wouldn't be in trouble because nothing really bad happened here. Pipers with that spinner would be grounded, an Airworthiness Directive would be produced requiring some sort of mitigation, and Piper might have to do some kind of recall and replacement program. But nobody is getting fined or jailed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdctY5iHhY4

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its my lovely reading comprehension to blame
My line of thought was theyd get a fine for replacing the spinner with a user made part

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, yes, that would be illegal.

But the way the FAA works, nothing would happen until the homemade spinner also exploded and caused some sort of damage that initiated an investigation. It's not like there are sky cops pulling you over for expired tags.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Can't park there, mate.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/perth/comments/1b9i4bh/what_do_you_reckon_happened_here/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They're cops. They can park anywhere they want. Who's going to ticket them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxLHINQlgo

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Every video I await the spray foam and without fail every video there’s at least one spray foam example why are people like this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm starting to wonder if spray foam is ever used in the correct way.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

opengl posted:

Every video I await the spray foam and without fail every video there’s at least one spray foam example why are people like this

It works like the potions from Pokemon, if there's a problem just spray some foam in there and it's fixed!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
spray foam has taken over from the previous worst product for fixes, which was just household silicone.

we are long past the days of baling wire and duct tape

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

there is like 1 correct use of spray foam in a can (filling in the gaps in door frames and the wall, or window frames and the wall) and not a single other use for it at all.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Wild EEPROM posted:

spray foam has taken over from the previous worst product for fixes, which was just household silicone.

we are long past the days of baling wire and duct tape

excuse me my passenger side window is held up by duct tape

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

there is like 1 correct use of spray foam in a can (filling in the gaps in door frames and the wall, or window frames and the wall) and not a single other use for it at all.

Actually only the non / low expansion stuff should be used for this. :goonsay:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Whenever I have a problem, i just use spray foam, and now I have a completely different problem!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even with my worst failure, I'd never go for spray foam. It just seems to add to the work than remove or even delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The difference between applying "enough spray foam" and aplying "way too much spray foam" is smaller than I'd want for anything that isn't insulation