Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

And they're like, DEAR MOTHER OF GOD

I could fix it, but I'd have to charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress.

quoting to see what the gently caress

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah seriously. Let's have a test of a safety system, by doing the most unsafe thing possible! What could possibly go wrong!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nah. This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but what you should do is build up a turbo'd 500cid Caddy motor for it, like the Coupe de Kille

It uses the LS1 electrics and coils and such.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Homemade oil pan? Out of brass?

That's zinc plated steel. Probably for corrosion resistance. Moroso and others make a bunch of aftermarket pans that look like that; I guess it's possible that it's custom, but I don't know how a homemade deal would get plated like that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've never been to Discount, but all the tire shops I've been past have used a lift. I guess that's why they're discount, eh? Passing that savings right to the customer!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

No. 6 posted:

I'd be quite concerned about what led to that state. Cams aren't supposed to be wear and tear replacement items.

Tell that to GM.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Well how many ratatatatas are you supposed to torque the drain plug to?

Probably just bap, maaaaybe bap bap at the most.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr-Spain posted:

Dude on another forum that had the boosted ls1 fairmont? had the toy football in the rear spring.

Goes by Denmah most places; Sloppy Mechanic on youtube. He seems to know his poo poo, but impacting on a head bolt gives me pause. Especially considering LS1 head bolts are TTY.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bajaha posted:

Coolant is nice and sweet smelling, like sweet almonds for you Americans. Smelling maple syrup is an indication of an issue with the GDCS.

Burning coolant smells like burning coolant, not like maple. :wtc:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

The left handed lug thing isn't a Mopar thing, it's an old-cars thing. It was accepted as the usual way to do things on a lot of older cars, then they realized it doesn't matter really.

My milsurp truck has it... the torque spec is either 450 or 550 foot pounds "or greater". I forget which. First time I had to take off one of the left-hand threaded ones, the L stamp was concealed under 3 layers of lumpy chipped CARC and I didn't see it. I was hanging on the end of a 4 foot pipe for a long rear end time before I decided to try tightening them slightly to break the rust bond and then loosening them, and it popped right off like it was supposed to when I "tightened" it :wtc:

Felt a little dumb after that one.

My Ford was built in the 50s and doesn't have left-handed lugs. I'll have to pay attention to the next 50s Chevy I see, but I don't think they did that either.

More than likely it's because your truck is only a couple degrees of separation from mopar. It's a Kaiser, isn't it? Kaiser is Jeep, and Jeep is mopar. Right? :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Well poo poo, if we're posting this stuff we might as well do it right and keep it brand-specific to mr. devito's current automotive ailments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

yeah, check that rear camber. something is definitely bent.

I dunno, it looks fine from the other angles, don't you think?

Actually, it might be slightly negative, the more I look at it. I still wouldn't go with "definitely" though.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rear trailing arm gets more negative camber the lower it goes. With a heavy rear end chunk of steel sitting in the back seat it might just be bottomed out suspension and/or the shocks blew. Apparently they guy just got a scratch on his arm :stonk:

Do you think it's that heavy? It's probably a few hundred pounds, but I don't think it would have a huge affect on the ride height.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 12, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Make sure to dump that bucket out on your neighbor's property.

Solid legal advice right here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

0toShifty posted:

Imagine all the shops cleaning drum brakes with compressed air! It's an asbestos nightmare.

what

Isn't that the definition of the thing you never do with drum brakes? Always keep it wet...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

i guess it's easy to see who's worked flat rate and who hasn't

Yeah jesus christ gently caress no. Occupational exposure to that kind of thing (and carcinogens) is what really gets you; I'd be super careful if I was dealing with that poo poo more than once every several years. And I already am moderately careful.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

No, thats the point when I ask what size you need and you tell me you'll know if you see it so I show you all our fuel hose. Then I sell you what you ask for while warning you no returns and you're back 30 mintues later for the next size up or down, asking to return the other size. Jeez, get it right man. :v:

Everything is 3/8. Always 3/8. Is there a good ole boy carbureted application that uses something different?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Well, in many cases, PS fluid is ATF. In other cases, it's brake fluid.

My car uses Dexron 3 as PS fluid. As have all my other cars that I've ever owned, ever.

Brake fluid? Huh. Never seen that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The Dexron and Mercon additives attack older rubber seals. In the 90s everything should have switched to nitrile and viton. Using Type F or power steering fluid in a new system is probably OK. Using Dexron or Mercon in an old system is bad.

How old we talkin'? My power steering pump from 1965 says "Use only Dexron II" on it, if I remember correctly. I also ran Type F in it once, because it was low and I had to top it off and that's what was on hand.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That should be sufficiently old enough. I didn't think Dexron was even around in 1965. That could also be when Dexron was still made of natural friction modifiers (literally whale blubber).
It should also be noted that backwards compatibility only applies to automatic transmissions, not manual transmissions or hydraulic systems. So if your power steering requires Dexron II, and the specification was never updated, and GM only licenses the current formulation Dexron VI, then...
If you choose to use Dexron VI, turn to page 5
If you choose to use Type F, turn to page 73

Hmm, you're right; Dex2 came out in '72. Maybe the cap isn't original, or maybe I am misremembering. I'll try to remember to look at it next time I'm at my parents' house, as I have a more modern P/S pump in there now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Midjack posted:

If you're rich enough to buy one, you're rich enough to buy two. Or I think it's "if you can afford two, you can afford one".

If you can afford to buy two, you can afford to own one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of magnesium, don't buy Yoyo-brand sparklers. Ran into my old friend the volunteer fire chief today who got some minutes before they were recalled last July 3rd, was lighting one for his kid, and it just went up all at once. 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 40% of his hand, as estimated by his paramedic deputy chief. Luckily, as a firefighter, he knew the immediate first-aid for a severe burn and called his deputy to bandage it, but if the kid had been holding it she'd have lost the hand. Google the brand name if you have a strong stomach/want to see all the news articles about 'em.

Whoa, that sounds awesome. I bet you could do up some serious pyrotechnics with that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm the sick oil filter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DefaultPeanut posted:

After the 3rd or 4th one it should be down pat. I'm getting these down to a little over 9 hours.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

How much are you paid for those 9 hours?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DefaultPeanut posted:

15.8 hours. Flat rate is a fickle beast.

Nice. Sometimes you eat the bear.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

LeMons SBF in a 944 had a bad day

Looks like someone tried to get more than 250HP out of a Windsor :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MREBoy posted:

Ok yes its on fire, but I wanna know what's up with that whole metal framework thing going on under the rear bumper that allows the trailer hitch to get down to something like a normal level. Anyone who ever rear ended that thing would get their radiator impaled something good.

...Does it say "VIP", or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

Wera Jokers, I believe.

My Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches also have rings on the ratcheting end for the same purpose.

Really all this is just like most "lifehacks": some slightly clever solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Maybe it would be useful on the side of the road if you didn't have the right wrench for some reason, and happened to have handy (or be able to pull) a bolt/nut. But that's stretching it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Depending on emphasis, it could mean what you intended or that people should be buying a set of wrenches from literally every walmart.

I think it would be most correct to say "any Walmart" instead of "every" one, but either way the meaning of the post was clear, and I don't think I would even call "every Walmart" incorrect. He's just being a jerk for fun!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

No socket set I've ever purchased comes with 16mm or 18mm and I can't figure out why.

16mm is 5/8, so use one of those. Not sure what 18mm is, but maybe it's something else more common.
E: Hm, no, it's between 11/16 and 3/4 (which is 19mm). Don't know what to tell you on that one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

it skips 11mm on the 12 point deep 3/8" and 1/2" drive. That's very close to 1/2"

13mm, surely?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cakefool posted:

My kingdom for a thin wall ratcheting 16mm spanner

How thin? I really like my Snap-On 14mm.

E: Wait, this isn't the tools thread :gonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Midjack posted:

ahahahahaahaha

Seriously. When's the last time ANYTHING in the world got better?

Have you heard the Good News of our Lord, V8? Right now is the best time so far to be alive if you like horsepower.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

veedubfreak posted:

You can tell who the lazy riders are. 1000 miles being "short life". I think my road bike that I bought back in 01 has like 500 miles on it max.

I think my road bike from 1961 has fewer than 500 miles on it. :buddy:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

That's not from grinding or drilling, that's from a torch. I've done the same thing before, but if you are careful, you can not completely monkeyfuck the holes. You just cut the bottom tabs off the shock, burn the rubber bushing away, heat up the inner sleeve, and hammer the bolt out. Jesus H Christ...

I also like the Grade 3 (AKA Cheese-grade) bolt without flanged nut. Guess they were too cheap to spring for new OEM hardware.

Is that bolt not grade 5?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HFX posted:

Most parts stores carry them also, but the people behind the counter do not know how to look them up

This is why you find and patronize the small auto electrical rebuild shop near you. I needed brushes for my generator, and was having all sorts of grief from the local parts houses. But I found a small local shop that just does starters alternators and generators, brought in the backing plate and said "Brushes for a Ford generator." The dude asked "early or late?" and a moment later and a couple bucks lighter I had the right (late) brushes. Specialty places are for sure the way to go.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Platystemon posted:

Killing the engine like you did works (beware of losing hydraulic assist, of course), but sometimes people think they’re saving gas by putting the car in neutral and idling the engine, and that’s simply not true. You’ll coast faster, but the engine has to burn fuel to keep turning. If you coast in gear, your kinetic energy keeps the engine turning so it doesn’t have to burn any fuel. It does slow you down a little, but on many grades that’s fine or desirable.

I can't imagine this is true with a carbureted vehicle. Air is still entering the engine, so it's still pulling fuel into the airstream.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but how many hypermilers drive carbureted vehicles?

I figured the guy you quoted who had the old Beetle probably had a carburetor or two on his :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ola posted:

And it probably wouldn't have helped if the caliper was dragging on the tire and eating away the rubber.

My understanding is that the caliper was dragging on the wheel and that the heat did the tire in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Funzo posted:

I for one am SHOCKED that it would have suspension problems.

Horrible pun aside, what is even holding those upper and lower coil springs together? I don't see a donut thingy or any sort of mount between them.