Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

I will be very surprised if any company rolling out the autonomous taxi service isnt going to have the hardest plastic seats paired up up sub- Greyhound levels of customer service.
I demand legislation to enforce the fitment of slightly sarcastic taxi driver mannequins voiced by Robert Picardo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

The kids aren't alright
Listen here, you little poo poo, The Kids Aren't Alright predates any "yeet" fuckery by like a decade, and I swear to God if you don't get off my lawn

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Son, I am disappoint.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I let my rear pads get completely worn out to the point of grooving the rotors, requiring both to be replaced run over with an 80-grit disc on an angle grinder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm paying someone to fix it because I don't have the time to be bothered with it right now. Otherwise I'd probably do something like that.
Slap new pads in and drive the fucker as-is. Discs still over minimum thickness? You're fine. Discs under minimum thickness? Engage denial.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, at the start I thought he'd hydraulic'd the engine and that was water he was squirting out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dpack_1 posted:

Hydraulic'd?

You mean hydro-locked right? as in the engine locked up due to water getting into the cylinders?
Yep, different term for same thing.

dpack_1 posted:

Not that he was trying to convert an ICE into a hydraulic sytem of some kind?
Not intentionally.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm proud of being the reason building management put up a sign saying you weren't allowed to do work on cars in an apartment parking area.

I didn't even live there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd imagine Seafoam works even better on a lot of modern engines. Direct injection plus EGR bullshit isn't a great combination for avoiding clagging up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Seafoam doesn't work for poo poo on direct injection unless there's an injector behind the valves for cleaning them.
Where are you putting your Seafoam?

It comes with a small straw to feed it into the intake, so it cleans up valves just like "normal" fuel injectors do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, Seafoam not being enough to handle properly cooked on stuff makes sense, I thought people were saying it wouldn't get to those areas, which didn't add up for me.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 17, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Take the inlet manifold off, blast into the port with the valve closed, hoover it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

FeederofWorms
The Worms theme would probably mashup quite well into Just A Day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
LPG intalls always make me twitch. Even aside from the visible I-used-copper-plumbing-pipe-for-this poo poo, just the inherent nature of them is something that's for people trying to run a car they can't really afford, which obviously always ends brilliantly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dpack_1 posted:

Vette fuel can't melt steel frames.
This is the kind of thing written language came into existence for.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wesleywillis posted:

We all know they should have done the same thing for that that people do for rusted out floor pans. Silicone and self tapping screws.

The trick is to use a smaller drill bit than required, punch it through with a tapered drift to extrude the metal out the other side a bit, and then this gives something for your self-tappers to bite into better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cripes, this should be some DIY/PBS series.
If you do it right you can actually tap threads into the extruded bit you've created and use normal bolts.

You know, for a more professional finish.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are they known to do that, then?

Hopefully your diff centre itself is unharmed and you can transpose it into another casing with a new CWP set.

Is there a reinforcement option available?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, that sounds about right.

I suspect what happened is they've either mistakenly shipped you a 5mm one - but then I would expect it'd be marked with something - or they're all initially drilled at 5mm then taken out to the final size and this one skipped a step.

If it's a proprietary design to a given company, tell them about it, it could even be a knock-off that's got into the supply chain, and people in aerospace do not take kindly to that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My mate got the coilovers off his Stagea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh the dampers are hosed too, don't you worry.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Landscaper for that roundabout was probably all "tim, find me the biggest rock you can that we can plop there so that if a car hits it, it will stop and not pass through to injure people on the other side."
No, you want something like a big stone arch, exactly the width of the average car. Gotta thread the needle if you want to make the jump.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I always wondered why Cooter never made a move on Daisy I'd be all over that :v:
Thinking ahead. No scandal to come back to bite him when he ran for office.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
John Schneider's YT channel is great, all sorts of interesting minutiae about DoH.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You put the spare on the rear first, then jack up the front and put the good one you took off on to replace the punctured one.

Though some of my cars the jack goes centrally and raises the entire side of the car anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, FWD was pushed as a selling point over "old tech" RWD in a lot of markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fj3zxnR6NM

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hell, that's actually a fairly sensible solution.

If the thread on the shaft is hosed you'll be replacing it anyway, so if it keeps it alive for a while longer, ehhhh.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm really not sure what else you were expecting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ili posted:

I've never seen a car with up and downshift lights. How common is it for people to drive around bouncing off the limiter or with the motor bogged down and struggling? I'm pretty sure when I got my licence back in the 90s being able to select the correct gear was part of the test and if you couldn't do that you didn't get a licence.
They put them in most stuff now as an economical advisory thing, it's to get you to try and be sensible on fuel by short-shifting, not a shift light proper.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the hire cars I had in Japan had a magnetic sign put on the back by the rental guy saying basically "Foreigner driving! Please be patient!"

It was... unnecessary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure what that achieves over a trolley jack?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You mean the TFL videos on their Defender?

First one made it 160 miles before developing a terminal engine fault.

Second one didn't leave the dealership, the workshop guy cut through an apparently unobtanium wiring loom while trying to fit a winch.

The third one seems ok, but still flashed up a suspension fault the first time they turned it on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
IIRC they have an airline connection that pressurises the barrel so you get oil flowing out a dump pipe to your main waste oil tank, that's how you empty it when full.

I think while investigating air going out the intake, he dropped the intake tube so the bottom of it was below the level of the oil remaining in the pressurised barrel, thus creating an easy escape path for it to jizz everywhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

"got a new socket set, but DeWalt pre-lost my 10mm for me"
I had that with a set of wood drill bits, 2 of one size and one missing.

But the duplicate was the size I needed, and the only size I'd bought the pack to get, so ehhhhh.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Chemical Brothers? Exit Planet Dust is still one of my favourite albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_pU7F5E3U&list=PLjIuADMrDKIbZr0t44J1GKr1-wDCL2ZBU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Colin Furze built something like that, though for the perfectly respectable reason of trying to make a fart that could be heard from France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I remember when those things were snapped up by redbull as the original redbull girl cars, and they'd always come by our skate spots or at the local snowboard park and hand cans out like candy.

I always thought they would be perfect for a hayabusa swap.
They're based on Vitaras, you can put V8s in them if you really want.

I miss the Red Bull promo cars we had here when I was a student, they used classic Minis