Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This thread needs a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWJCd1GYhw

:rock: Symphony of Destruction! :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Psylocibe posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat, honestly!, but who was it in that other thread that insisted that the engine block in his/someone he knew's car was bent?

They don't bend, they break. We have to show this guy that thread.

I can -not- remember which thread it was. These photos need to be shown to that person, stat!

edit: for huge post. make smaller.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

An engine block can twist when overheated. Combine that with torque and you can easily bend an engine block.

OK. In the spirit of this thread, photos please.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
^ from working at FedEx I know that type of container is called an LD3, if that helps any. Stacking them with freight is a bitch unless you're three feet tall.

The over-arching term for the air freight containers is "ULD - Unit Load Device". I prefer the AMJ's myself. Nice big box.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 12, 2009

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Modena AL posted:

I always hated it when a driver would leave his pins down and dump a fully loaded AMJ into the street across from my input line. Also, pulling a full string of AMJ's through the snow never works.

This is called dropping a can. You don't want to drop a can. I have seen someone kind of almost lose one, but still have one end up on the dolly, and all the ramp agents all come running from everywhere, 10 guys, and push it back up on the dolly and move along like nothing happened. They would say to me "You didn't see that!!" and I'd be like "blink blink see what? what the gently caress are you talking about, I didn't see anything!". You're supposed to empty out a dropped can and load the stuff into a new one, but that makes everyone late. Push that big bitch back up there and go!

I am an ex-hub-wage-slave BTW.

I will agree that the Tugs are strong as gently caress. Think of this, it's the famous for being unbreakable Ford 300cid I6 in a solid steel body with a big fuckoff sheild on the front and a big rail down one side. It's basically made of distilled badass and angry. They are awesome.

here;
https://www.aerospecialties.com/productinfo/tractors/tugincMA.php

You can basically just run into poo poo so hard that you stall it, but you can just start it back up and keep going. Tugs are made of the strong. Gotta love the Jason-mask grille too. You could push my car and your car and a bus and every drat thing else out of the way with a Tug. gently caress Yeah.

Late in my experience at FedEx they were rolling out these slow rear end diesel tugs. Love the way they sounded, but boy were they dog rear end slowww.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My roommate saw a guy make the tiniest little aircraft strike with a belt loader. Everything had to come off the plane. ugh.

Pretty crazy considering those things fuselages are basically held together by speedtape.

The list of instantly fire-able offences at the hub are:
1.Stepping across the red line
2.Aircraft Strikes
3.Dropping a can
4.Fistfights
5.Theft

Speaking of people getting fired: Is anyone here who saw them set a 727 down on it's rear end end some years ago? I dont remember exactly what date, or even year, it was. This was at the MEM hub. The story I heard was the maintenance tards took the tailstand/aft stairs up/away with some cans still in the back of the plane (??) and down she went. I have no idea how to google for this but I saw it with my own eyes, a 727 squatting it's back end down against the ground with the nose up in the air. This happened mid 2000's.

I was working in the old hub and the plane in question was parked up close to the "auto hub" on the other side of the ramp - Didn't get a thing done that night, too busy gawking. Did they keep it out of the news completely?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

blambert posted:

This might have been in here somewhere before but I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m09vkAIJBXQ

OK, this combined with your custom title is just too much. You spin me round indeed.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

InterceptorV8 posted:

That reminds me of the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" posters.

It looks like it should be floating along and making a MiMiMiMiMi noise, Jetsons style, doesn't it?

Pointless, Terrible-rear end photoshop incoming:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Ok, you win. I am not much use with Photoshop.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Valkyn posted:

Is that 7 second 1/8 mile passes?

What kind of HP iswas that thing making?

Edited for accuracy.

Truly a spectacular failure. I wonder what the sound of an engine block being busted up by the rogue end of a broken crank having a mad fit is.

The site the image is hosted on lists the following:

OKE020.com posted:

21/3/2011 - We finally did it! on the 12th of March 2011 on the 2nd qualifier for Outlaw Radial, OKE020 went 7.977 @ 178.12mph! The 60' was only 1.406 so we were pumped for maybe even a more impressive ET to follow. On the 3rd round I decided to try and run a light on a pro tree, the launch rpm was to low but the car ran an 8.20 @ 179.5mph!.

First round of racing i checked the 179.5mph data and found the engine was still in the 10.9-11.0 AFR region at the end of the pass, i pulled the tiniest bit of fuel out to play it safe, topped the fuel up and changed out the n20 bottle for a fresh one.

The car absolutely motored to half track, i am guessing maybe 2-3 mph up on ever before, about 1000ft i felt a vibration lifted slightly then put my foot down again. The stock main caps let go and the crank broke in half at over 8000rpm. I was lucky to keep the car straight and bring it to a stop. Still ran 8.30 @ 140mph The damage was pretty impressive, not much of the block survived, the rods that were attached to the front crank section were bent as it tried to leave the engine.

The engine failure can be put down to exceeding the limits of factory cast main caps. When i pulled the plugs they showed signs of detonation, not much but enough to push the already strained caps over the edge.

Still finished the day on a high. Got to thank all my family and friends for all the help over the years, we finally did it!

http://www.oke020.com/

:stare: 7.977 @ 178.12mph

At least it died having the greatest loving party ever.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Skyssx posted:

I bought a 6 horse B&S Quantum Engine'd walk behind from a family friend and the filter on it was even nastier than these. The pleats weren't even visible, they were buried under all the caked up earth and dirt that it had accumulated. the plastic cover was completely loving full of crap too. After I cleaned the crap out of the cover, put in a fresh filter and plug and changed the oil with some Briggs branded straight 30wt it ran like a champ.

I only paid $40 for the mower because the guy let it get to be run down as gently caress and it barely ran. It still had a decent amount of oil in it, but when I started it before I did the work it would just kind of gain revs veeery slowly until it reached operating speed.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

b0nes posted:

This is motoring, the Monty Python way.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
How does one drive a "vehicle" like that onto a public road without the police instantly coming out of nowhere and asking you what the gently caress?

That's not even a car, that's a bunch of scrap metal vaguely imitating a car.

Edit: also if you don't mind saying what on earth could the person driving that possibly have looked like? I can't even imagine.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2011

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Sockington posted:

They'll just hate Ford for taking the manual tranny out of the SHO for that poo poo V8.

If we're going to hate on Ford for reliability issues it must again be mentioned that the Taurus' Automatic Transmission sucked harder than several overlapping black holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission

Seriously the biggest piece of poo poo transmission ever.

There was a special AX4N SHO version of the autobox that got used in the V8 SHO and the Lincoln Continental that was based off the D186 (Taurus) platform and even the most strong version of this thing may as well have been made of tinfoil.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

B4Ctom1 posted:

My job before going to work for the railroad in 1998 was rebuilding transmissions. Before I was allowed to rebuild them I did just the pulling installing part for a few years.

I did so many that I could pull or install an AXOD/AXODE in only 30 minutes. We once on a dare played a game called "name that bolt". With a blindfold on, you could hand me any bolt from the R&R out of the box and I could identify it by feel and either put it right into the car or tell you were it goes.

When I moved on to the building room I would build 2 or 3 AXOD or 4L60 trans a day. I became as intimate with their guts as I had with the pulling. I hundreds or maybe a thousand over a few years.

Inside the AXOD there are lots of ways that they can fail on their own. There is something in an AXOD AXODE and a couple other FWD ford trans called the "front planet".

That little tube bit up the center is the center shaft. It is a solid part of the planetary assembly. The sun gear when inserted down into it has a bushing that rides on the outside of it. The end of that sun gear will also ride on a thrust bearing that is down inside of that assembly which is hard to see in this picture.

The majority of AXOD variant failures are because of lube/pump, converter, clutch, or sprag failures. This usually result in the gearset needing to be replaced as they are usually destroyed. This wasn't good enough for ford. They started making a extra cut which was cleverly hidden under that thrust bearing. Just a tiny sharp cut around the radius of the base of that shaft to thin the metal to work as a breakaway perforation.

This cut is not large enough to reduce mass in any way that could be useful in fuel economy, was missing from the original front planets, and also missing from the replacement sets they sold. The break would quickly render the transmission useless and include damage to other internals.

When I first found it, I showed it to a few customers. They became so angry that I decided not to show it to anymore.

These cars with the AXOD or AXODE I was working on were rarely SHO's. They were mostly regular models with either the 3.0 or 3.8 liter V6. Those engines in the various Ford vehicles had massive head gasket issues. Some seemed to be purposefully mis-machined deck surfaces. The RMS finish of the deck surface was not just coarse, it was rippled. Looking like too fast of a pass on the machine, or a bad, dull, broken, clogged, or dirty milling tool head.

A couple times in my wheeling and dealing cars I passed on free Tauri with bad trans or head gaskets because I had such disdain for them.

Ah, sweet vindication.

Do you happen to know what it was exactly that makes the 1-2 shift in an AXOD Family member so terrible? I swear every loving time it made that shift it would shudder. EVERY time. Mine (in my late '98 Taurus) also had a severe "coastdown bump" they called it where sometimes if you didn't wait for the bump when slowing down and tried to take off again the trans would start freewheeling and then slam into gear hard enough to chirp the tires. The first time this happened it was so violent that I thought that someone had hit me.

I am beginning to believe that by law the American automakers ought to be banned from ever making any front wheel drive automatics and instead should have to be shamed by being forced to purchase them from Toyota and Honda until they learn to make an Automatic Trans-axle that is not such a monumental piece of lovely poo poo.

Edit: because this is a pics thread, here is a - plastic - GM 4L60 accumulator piston.

Found at http://www.tuckertrans.com/tips/fixes.html

Plastic parts in the transmission, gently caress You GM.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 11, 2011

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Godholio posted:

I had an 89 Taurus (3.0) as my first car. Transmission never failed.

my brother t-boned a brand-new Camry. ...

That car had over 200k miles on it when we sold it, and probably lives in the woods somewhere like the Anglia in Harry Potter.

It wasn't your brother at all, it was the car: "I'll show you, you motherfucker! I can be reliable too!"

You may have had the Taurus cousin of Christine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_%28novel%29

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This was posted on Bitog and I thought I'd share

OH SHI-

From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323942#Post2323942

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I have to admit never having seen supercharger rotors removed before.

Also, noticing the cylinder heads:

"That thing got a hemi in it?"

No! but it had one! :haw:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?s=7f22a1118cc1d207317a55ed5013201d&t=390033

Guy drives the car (99 4cyl 5SFE camry) with the starter engaged constantly and burns it the gently caress up.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 22, 2011

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Delivery McGee posted:

Words about Fords

I've posted about this before but It's worth noting again that the Ford 300 I6 was used in this loving thing.

I mean look at it. It has a god drat solid steel Jason mask for a grille. They used these at FedEx when I worked there to push, pull, tow, drag, and do violence upon anything that needed it. I saw them run into poo poo so hard they stalled the engine, and they started her back up and kept going. I saw another guy ram into a concrete pillar, and stand on the accelerator while the knobby tires dug a hole in the asphalt.

Tug = loving unbreakable. An excellent platform for building your Mad Max Murder Wagon upon.

http://www.omegaaviation.com/baggage_tractor_aviation_ground_support_equipment/2004_TUG_baggage_tow_tractors_5000_lbs_draw_pull_bar.html

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

meatpimp posted:

1) You're an idiot if you get under a car that is missing any parts without a jackstand. I admit, I'll crawl under from the side with just a floor jack (not the factory bullshit, see below), but as soon as there's a wheel off or other component that will allow the car to go ALL the way down? There's a jackstand under that bitch.

2) Some OEM jacks are exercises in the absurd. We dropped a brand new, $40k Mercedes in ~1987, when $40k cars were expensive. Using the factory jack on a flat, concrete garage floor.

The right rear wheel had a flat and we were changing it. Used the factory jack in the factory location. For those cars, there were holes in the side that you put a rod from the jack into, then cranked the jack up. The problem was that the jack had a 4-loving-inch wide base, which was about as stable as a Kardashian marriage. We got the wheel off, only to watch the jack slowly pivot and dump the car onto the ground. Luckily no damange, but goddamn.

What does a "jack" like that look like? Gaze upon its majesty:

The Vanagon comes with this piece of poo poo too.

Mine didn't manage to squish me with the van as I am still here, thankfully.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The butterfly valve in the intake looks really similar to Toyota ACIS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Control_Induction_System

Never heard of the screws coming loose on a Toyota though.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

H1KE posted:

From a FB group I visit. Turbo 700 trans in a Holden Kingswood decided to let go at 140km/h :stonk:. The fact that the driveline basically sheared itself free scares the poo poo out of me, and I am now going to make sure I check out the diff / trans clunk on the Valiant before pushing it too hard, since I'd prefer not to have to try and steer 2 tonnes of crazy out of a skid with no power steering.

:stare: Is that the transmission tail housing hanging off the end of the drive shaft there?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

chrisgt posted:

This is currently in the middle of the road blocking traffic outside my apartment.... :v:
There is nobody in it, it's just sitting there.

As the Vanagon Goon, I have to say "that happens". It's air cooled (no lower rad grille) so it's not the miserable wasserboxer blowing up.

I've done that exact traffic blocking thing with the blue 84 that I had, except it was Highway 51 in Millington, and on Union Ave in Memphis.

Regarding the subject of Fire - on a van there's a little plastic fuel coupler that is held to the firewall with bolts and is terrible to break and puke fuel all over the engine resulting in your van burning down.

This plastic piece of garbage couples the fuel lines in the engine compartment to the line leading up to the tank. When the hose busts off the end of it it's angled to shoot pressurized fuel right at the exhaust. This one piece has resulted in more fires than anything else.

You can see this thing in the photo on the wasserboxer wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserboxer

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

NoWake posted:

My sister's '96 Corolla recently had an A/C belt shred itself off the pulleys, I took a look at it and saw that the alternator belt wasn't far behind. Since the timing belt hadn't been touched since '06 / 70k miles I figured I'd go in there and refresh everything all at once, and I'm glad I did..

Crank pulley, shot from the passenger wheel well. Looks like something from the wreckage of the Titanic, but it's pretty standard for something that has lived in Ohio for 16 winters. (you don't wanna know about the rear wheel wells)

Hey, the pulley comes off the crank pretty easily! Wait a tick, I haven't taken the crank bolt off yet...

I've never heard of a crank pulley failing this way... at least on the VW's I've worked on. You can see evidence of the pulley "hunting" back and forth; shiny scuff on the engine block and burnt plastic on the timing belt cover. More than likely it's the cause of the belts shredding off, I'm just glad I caught this in October rather than February.

My Grandma's 1996 Corolla that looks exactly like that had never had the timing belt changed until march of this year when I finally managed to badger her enough to get her to let me do it. Belt must have been at least a little stretched because it runs much less shittily now.

Never seen one stay in service long enough to get fuzzy like this before:

Accessory belts looked like poo poo too:

These were all original to the car being new. She's the sort that gets pissed off she has to do maintenance.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

CommieGIR posted:

Those belts look....okay.

The topsides look ok but the side with the ribs were all cracked and rotted. I should've taken a picture of the other side ok? The AC compressor belt looked ok like that too except it was split down the length into two smaller belts running side by side.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The VW Wasserboxer was a truly terrible engine too.
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

quote:

Rather than placing conventional flat gaskets between the block and cylinder heads, VW engineers instead used rubber lip style gaskets to prevent leakage where the parts joined together. What’s more, the cast iron cylinder liners stuck out beyond the decks of the aluminum block; the protruding liners then slid into recesses in the heads, and the tops of the cylinders were then sealed off with compressible metal rings. The actual combustion chambers were bowls in the tops of the pistons instead of recesses in the cylinder head; these are known as Heron type combustion chambers. Finally, the casting around the cylinder liners was mostly empty space, creating a water jacket (or one big coolant passage) around them.

If you said having combustion chambers essentially surrounded by water with multiple potential failure points sounds like a recipe for trouble, give yourself a cookie, because that was precisely the case. Not only could coolant leak out through breaches in the unorthodox head gaskets and cause overheating, but it could also slip past the compression rings and into the combustion chamber. This second, more disastrous scenario would cause anything from corrosion and misfires resulting from a little coolant leaking in to hydrolock

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=107

It was basically an air cooled vw boxer engine converted rather thoughtlessly to be water cooled, and it was rubbish.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

some texas redneck posted:

IIRC, the Toyota 1MZ-FE has 6 bolt mains (at least on the VVTi version)? And that engine is about as common as dirt.

This is true. 1MZ-FE teardown here:
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53130

Edit: And then there's this. The engine was obviously strengthened internally but :drat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aC4oVEVC68

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2014

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I wonder if that thing is still front wheel drive.

Would make for some interesting handling characteristics.
Not that a PT Handles to begin with but this must be downright scary.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geoj posted:

I know Ford/Mazda did that on the 2.3 Duratec/MZR to drive the balance shaft assembly.

Toyota does this too. I know the 5S-FE drives it's balance shafts this way.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I do love a good GM Hate-fest. After my family had 2 Luminas with the miserable L82 3100 that died for the same stupid reason I realized GM does suck as much as I've heard.

Apparently the forumula is 3100 V6 + Dexcool ('Death-cool') = Rotten Intake Manifold Gaskets - Which leads to overheating and sometimes even wiped bearings as some of the coolant ends up in the bottom end of the engine (!?)

gently caress off and die General Motors.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SouthsideSaint posted:

The worst thing GM ever did was axe the 3800. Only v6 they made that was any fun or powerful. Defenitley worth staying up on the intake gaskets/coolant. most 3100 driven cars can go drive off a tall cliff.

I forgot - My landlord had a Buick Regal with a 3100 in it. That one blew up too. gently caress those things forever and ever. The very definition of Boat Anchor.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

nm posted:

W8 Engine

:stare: What.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o09T-yZnt0

Makes no loving sense. WHY. :psyduck:

Why is this better than an ordinary V8.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 11, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
VW hosed up in the 80s too.

Great Moments in Crappy Engine History: Volkswagen Wasserboxer
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

Bit of an apologist this guy, but yes, let's seal the water jacket to the cylinder head with what amounts to a giant O-ring.
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=107

Basically what they did was put watercooled heads on a type 4 engine, and extended water jackets over the cylinders.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
You want slow? Here's slow for you.

0-60 in 37.2 seconds for the stock 1.9 wasserboxer. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejA1tBuCxJg

Mine was a 1.9 with the 3 speed non-lockup automatic. It was even slower than that.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Do those plastic engine covers do anything to help warm up the engine in cold temps? My corolla has a stupid plastic hat on top of the 1zz-fe and I don't know if it makes much difference.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

QuarkMartial posted:

Hey, I finally have something to contribute!

Too bad it's my wife's car. Transmission decided to poo poo the bed without any warning. I was on the phone with her last night as she was coming home, "Hey, the car's making a kind of funny noise?" "Well, bring it home and we'll look at it and see what's up." "....I'm in an intersection and it won't go." It wouldn't go into gear at all. Cut it off, cut it back on, and she managed to get it into gear and barely get it into a parking lot. Ended up getting it towed. Shifter cable and all that checked out. Fluid looked fine, as in it had fluid and as far as we could tell in the dark it was alright.

My awesome brothers-in-law popped the pan off while I was at work. They sent me this:

1/4" chunks of metal in the bottom of the pan. $2000 to fix - 800 for the transmission, 1200 in labor. Way more than the car, a 2001 Merc Sable (with a salvage title, no less), is worth.

Looks like we'll be trying to find us a new car soon... and of course these things always happen at the most convenient of times.

I can't say that I'm sad to see it go, though. I loving hated that car ever since my stepdad first got it; once we got it after my brother got into a minor wreck which somehow caused enough body damage to total it out it became nothing but a PITA to work on. DOHC engine in the world's tiniest engine bay. Took two people an entire afternoon to replace a belt tensioner. A/C went out and that's a whole bitch and a half to replace, so we hadn't done it yet and instead swapped a bypass pulley on it. Truly a majestic POS that, while it's pretty much the worst time for it to die, I can't really say I'm sad to see it go. Other than how difficult it's going to be to get a car.

Do you know if this was an AX4S or an AX4N? A Sable is basically a Ford Taurus in a pretty frock. Taurus transmissions are terrible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission#Reliability_issues

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

8ender posted:

The Taurus in general in those years is just the worst thing. The A4XS transmission just helps put owners out of their misery earlier:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2001/

Reading that - I forgot about the sag-rear end all of them would get from the broken rear springs. They're getting thin out there now but you used to see lots of Taurii riding around with a ridiculous reverse rake because of that.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geoj posted:

I always thought the Vulcan was a case of never going to win an award for best-engineered or great performance, but much like the venerable Jeep 4.0 has roach-like "you can run it out of oil and it will just scrape asphalt off the road and use it as lubricant instead" ability to not die.

It's like they made an engine out of Nintendium. The most abuse-resistant substance known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

1500quidporsche posted:

The vulcan is pushrod.

Yes, and it doesn't drive the camshaft via gear drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w68Ld8eKp7k#t=870