Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

I was given a pair of high end, made in Canada waterproof work gloves good for -40 and wet (waterproof liner) as a promo right from the manufacturer to try and get sales reps to promote them. Worth around $75 per pair

The thumb on the right hand has completely stitched closed from the palm.

Good quality control guys.

That is loving amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I cannot wait to drive something with Freevalve, or something like it. Why yes, I'd like my Gen 9 small block to idle like a smog-cam 7.5:1 454, but have three-quarters of an inch of lift and 265° duration above 4000rpm, please.

:getin:

I mean at that point, if you're idling for any amount of time you have further you can go.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

correct response is "Oh poo poo piss"

good music choice though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Right. "Felix the Cat" is not "Fritz the Cat"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Let me tell you a story.

Aircraft piston engines use magnetos for ignition. Almost always two of them. As long as the prop is turning, there is spark; No electrical system required. On engines since time immemorial, this was accomplished with two separate mags, driven by two separate shafts. This was good.

I’m the mid seventies, Cessna was building a lot of airplanes. A gently caress-ton of airplanes. Coincident with this was the market demise of 80/87 avgas, and a new wing on the 172 which provided better short field and climb performance, but at a drag penalty. The suits got together, looked at all of these factors, and decided that if everyone was going to have to burn 100LL, they might as well burn it in an engine that won’t immediately foul the plugs at idle, and pick up a little power while they’re at it. Maybe even enough to get back to our old cruise speed numbers, even with the new wing. Simultaneously, we can have Lycoming simplify the engine, making it cheaper to build, and increase our margins. Cost-engineering is the new way forward! Blowjobs and bonuses were had all around.

New for 1977, the Cessna 172N was powered by the Lycoming O-320H2AD; This engine was full of failure innovation. First, it used a new magneto (which is the part related to MRC48B’s nightmare above) which uses a single integrated drive coupling to power two magnetos. Simple! Cheap! Single point of failure! My favorite is the AD for when the pins on the flyweights of the impulse coupler fail, sending pieces of pin and flyweight down the magneto drive shaft tunnel and into the crankcase, where they do what metal chunks do in an engine.

What could go wrong?

The fun part was only just getting started though. Lycoming also decided to cost-engineer the valve train on the H2AD. Knowing that flat-tapper lifters are sensitive little shits and have a penchant for lunching themselves after a lifter or cam lobe gets a tiny little speck of corrosion on it, Lycoming reduced the lifter diameter and cam lobe width. This drastically increased the loading on the contact area between lifter and cam, resulting in frequent wiped cam lobes and mulched lifters. Owners were frequently having to split the case halves on engines with less than 300 or 400 hours to perform valve train surgery. A zinc additive was mandated through Airworthiness Directive, and a larger lifter was retrofitted by numerous operators, but the damage was done. Most H2ADs are no longer overhauled and reinstalled, but are replaced with later model engines with an STC.

That got long quick. Apologies.

an only slightly related but still good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1TQGK3mZI

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

yeah if you like dead engines that's a great youtube follow

ok.

but I like greasy abused dead engines.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I scrolled right past the image before my brain allowed itself to register what it was looking at.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Did USSR ever develop nuclear artillery?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe because I assume Americans use moon units for everything but my brain immediately decided that the pressures weren’t that different from each other, and why would you post this picture of a perfectly fine thing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

can't imagine the transaxle likes having two sides trying to spin at different angular velocities either.

Anyways is this the thread for "Destructive testing"? or is OSHA IV better for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLJxJfELsOc

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I’ve seen teslas drive in the winter. Pretty sure their owners think they aren’t subject to the laws of physics because “computers”

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

chistmas miracle at 18:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBerq2AKECs&t=1094s

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I just feel like the kind of person who spends a million on a boat probably doesn’t care if he loses a million here or there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ulf posted:

The comments in the first half of the video about still being able to sell parts of the engine were… what I’ll always be thinking about when buying used parts. :gonk:

At about the 42 min mark he says he’ll never think about using anything from this engine but he might have just meant the bottom end. I’m still worried he’s going to machine and resell those heads. I did some fast forwarding so maybe he walked that back.

Overall 10/10 would watch again. :gonk:

He seems pretty conservative about reselling parts

quote:

Well!
After an hour in the parts washer, some more problems with last weeks 4.0L explorer engine have shown themselves.
Nobody will be surprised, but the heads are both cracked. Right between the seats. Not sure if this is the only place they crack but it surely renders them scrap as the cost to repair vastly outweighs the cost of a reman head.
We find this happens pretty often, the parts washer uncovers damage previously obscured by carbon, oil, gunk and junk. I would estimate that we probably discover 80-100 issues from having clean parts, which means a ton fewer returns, no waste of labor listing, shipping or dealing with a return. More importantly, it means I know what I sell is good, and I don’t waste any customers time.

In the used auto parts business, there’s always a risk of a defective part. They’re used, and sometimes you just cannot know things like oil consumption, or how a trans shifts under load after an hour on the highway. Nobody wants to sell bad parts, but returns as defective nails on a chalkboard for me. That’s why we do everything we can, and constantly find more we can do, to make sure what we sell is accurately described.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

We can do it with lasers now.

Today I learned that laser anemometers were a thing.

They use diffraction! And maybe can’t replace a pitot tube because dynamic pressure is the thing that makes aero surfaces effective so that’s the actual information the pilot wants.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

First couple rolls I figured they had hit hard. After that I realized, oh yeah, mountain side.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

evobatman posted:

Why don't they make the whole car out of license plate material?

Mazda did for the longest time.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

Knight Rider big wheel that had the handbrake on one of the rear wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-WYXNy8rE

Why did 6 year old me think this was cool?

I mean the handbrake was awesome but "You can pretend KITT is talking!" is, um.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

how do you think this affect full auto pilot?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Weirdly that's perfect in the snow when you get nothing on your windshield when you're moving but as soon as you stop you need all the wipers

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey the SUV thing they made had a situation where the back doors open at random so I think we are being very unfair to Elon & co.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if the Buick version is better or worse:

At least pull buttons are in a line with the button row, but it's less obvious which buttons are pull or push

Drove a rental with this for a week. It wasn't bad, but a lever is better.

Weirdly the best poo poo lever for a large automatic vehicle is in the Dodge Grand Caravan

If your hands are at 3 and 9 it sits right under the fingertips in drive and dropping it a gear is a simple double-tap that you can do without even taking your hands off the steering wheel.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 27, 2024

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

xsf421 posted:

"Whenever I have a problem, i just use spray foam, and now I have a completely different problem!"

What you have is an additional problem. And one you now have to address before you can deal with the original problem.

Frankly, a commendable level of procrastination

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Just assassinate whistleblowers.

It’s that easy, folks.

Would people do that? Just go into a parking lot and assassinate a whistleblower?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Why does Toyota love drawing penises on their water pumps?

I mean I know why, but it’s funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My van's oil filter is at the top of the engine.

Get on my level.

(don't google Pentastar plastic oil filter housing)