Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
this thread :hellyeah:

big bore ktm 2 stroke dirt bike i bought. there's a hole through the piston on the lower top end there. runs great now though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Elviscat posted:

My dad used to be a mechanic back in the 60's, and he's told stories of how Pontiac straight-8 blocks used to twist, so much so that there were actually machines made to straighten the blocks back out.
would that only happen when you were winding the gently caress out of it? or if it was supercharged? or just high mileage or?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

My parents are gonna be so pissed!

he did beat the bmw though! m3s are slow.

part 2 is actually kinda cool where you see the disintegrated piston.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rogz posted:

I've done that to 2-strokes by overheating them so much the piston swells and touches the cylinder wall.

I've done some really horrible things to 2-strokes. :(

are you the dick who owned my KTM before me? you dick.
(see page 1)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Prelude Gundam posted:

Beat me to it.

That BMW curb mishap reminded me of this incident:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a28_1246390274
"you've got to hand it to the germans, they make great cars!"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

omgitstheinternet posted:

The insides of damaged transmissions make me cringe. To be fair though, the insides of any transmission make me throw up a little from confusion.
i've worked on trannies now from a couple vintage motorcycles, and i'm surprised that they don't look much different than that one here. i suppose the gears must be bigger, but you're still putting all your power through two little teeth there. or more than two if they're helical cut? anyway, 25-50hp? sure i can believe that? 250? i have a hard time understanding how that works.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
semi-related, for those of you that love photos like this, check this book out:

http://www.amazon.com/Shot-Hell-Stories-Ravaged-Warbirds/dp/0760316090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259062604&sr=1-1

lots of fun to flip through. the poo poo that B17s could survive is amazing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slow is Fast posted:

This sums up this guy exactly, and now I'm going to be stuck watching his videos all afternoon because of his hilariously entertaining enunciation.
it was friday afternoon, beer was calling "hey i'm in the fridge come drink me"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
if you gave me the proper tools, i couldn't make a cut that clean

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
my 500cc 1955 bmw bike (boxer 2) doesn't have a crank balancer, and the 600cc model from the same era didn't, but the 600cc sport model from then did. slightly different valve and ignition timing, slightly different stroke maybe, higher compression. higher rpm? dunno, they didn't have tachs back then.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

teh jhey posted:

From here: http://www.dieselduck.ca/historical/01%20diesel%20engine/Doxford/works.htm

Yes, he's riding the lathe.

listening to matt & trey sing "now you're a man" while looking at that pic

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

So much interesting stuff! But this one:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/Scavenge_fatality.htm

Was pretty grim. Trapped inside the ... manifold? Expansion chamber? I'm not good with two stroke marine diesels.

that is seriously disturbing.

but i can't help wanting to know...scavenge air receiver? does that mean the 2-stroke transfer ports?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

I blew up the photo and it's the air chamber on the exit side of the scavenging operation. Reads like he was knocked out/killed by fumes before he could have been pressurized/burned.

right, but "scavenge"? i've only heard that term used in the context of 4-strokes. is this another word for something else or is it a function unique to these marine engines?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
a car did that? shape of dent made me think something smaller like a tree

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
that was most certainly not a mechanical failure, though

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

I love that guy and his engine failure videos

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

grover posted:

It's the sonar recording the hull crushing as USS Thresher sank.
Purely mechanical sounds, and softened from the distance, but haunting as it's clear exactly what those sounds mean.
That's just to scare-straight the welders, right? Cause it wasn't failure of welds that sank the Thresher, was it? Was the emergency surfacing equipment or something...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought detonation would eat away at the plugs, not bend them?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

my cb750 K2 is a horrible mechanical failure.
Nice, what symptoms prompted you to tear it down?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shroomie posted:

That's actually not a horrible mechanical failure at all, it looks perfectly clean and nice.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't think any motorcycles since the 1950s have called for straight-weight oil, shared-sump gearbox or not.

And my understanding on why they use straight weight oils is that they lack rubber seals on their valve guides, so multiweight (lighter when cold) oil would leak past the guides.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought only motorcycles could do that. Is that an alignment issue or what?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get a slight :gonk: feeling when they find a random wheelnut/bolt lying in the road?
I actually had a wheel come off on the interstate once because of loose lug nuts, and it was a surprisingly small deal. Even though it was a front wheel, I was able to brake and pull over to the side with no trouble. While riding on the brake rotor. I was lucky however that the wheel didn't hit any cars when it crossed the opposing lanes of traffic.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Heard a motorcycle tire explode once from overinflation, I couldn't believe how loud it was. Sounded like a 12 gauge.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This guy commanded US Navy submarines? Like, the ones that are capable of starting global thermonuclear war?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Post Horrible Mechanical Failures became Discuss Refrigerants

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was on a Costa cruise ship once when I was a kid :eek:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Kerrow posted:

Then I noticed the brake fluid line :stare:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to look like that. Kinda happy I haven't found out while driving. I guess it's still holding up since there was no pool of liquid under the car.
I had a hard brake line blow out on a pickup while I was driving it once. The amazing thing: it was after I drove the truck, pulling a boat, about an hour on the interstate and high speed back roads, and the brakes worked fine until I was backing the boat into a barn for winter storage. Only then did it blow out. And it blew out catastrophically with no immediate warning. All of a sudden the pedal would just slide smoothly to the floor. I'm still blown away by the luck I had that day.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the_worm_ posted:

The violence of these things is a crazy. Everyone needs to experience a nitro pass in their life.
I recently crossed this one off my bucket list, and I gotta say, you're goddamn right.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Yep, that's "again". They had a spate of it with models from about ten years back.
Yeah, that's loving disturbing. I thought they made pretty big changes to the singles models between the old F650 and the new G650, too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mutt2jeff posted:

So, what exactly were those kidneys before? Turbo parts? Valves? Piston pieces?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

R1200GS decides that it doesn't like its carbon fiber exhaust anymore:

That's what you get for putting aftermarket exhausts on BMWs. Tasteful BMW owners (REAL BMW owners) know that you don't put loud pipes on a BMW.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

He replaced it with this:

Japanese too :mad:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That truck rolled? And only minor injuries? drat, that's a nice outcome. And you took out a PT cruiser, too, I'd say that was a pretty good day overall.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Why would you ever want only half the water jacket filled with cement? You're blocking all the coolant passages either way, why not fill it up and get more rigidity?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Beach Bum posted:

This is one of Those Things.
That was beautiful. What was the car? Something British?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fucknag posted:

Superior German engineering, indeed.
I've heard some nightmares about Audi designs. Like hoses routed through engine mounts. Looks like I didn't hear wrong.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MiniFoo posted:

I love you, Felix Wankel.
I think his original design was actually quite complicated and difficult to work on. The Mazda planetary rotation based on his original was a lot simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Someone ignored their belt change interval.
And didn't acoustically tension the belts to 100hz like the manual says.