Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I often heard Saabs explained as being like what you would get if you described a car to a Martian over the phone; but I always thought that was just about the styling (and maybe ignition key placement). No idea it extended that far under the hood.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She's broke her back. She'll never jump again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beat their kids? You know those things never have more than one person in them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People are funny. They'll fly or work in skyscrapers their whole lives, never hearing of an incident where a skyscraper fell the gently caress over or a plane flexed in half during takeoff; but show them evidence of slight movement (that is carefully designed in) and all of a sudden they think it's totally unsafe and THEY PERSONALLY must never do X again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's an awesome story. And all you have to do is glance at the stilts layout and you realize how it's the quartering winds you have to worry about, whereas in every other building they're a non-issue if you've built it for perpendicular ones.

Guy was too close to his work to step back and question first principles.

E: Also "doing the right thing" is an interesting call to make, considering that what they did was perform all the shoring-up welding in secret, without informing the Citicorp employees.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does everyone refuse to start calling it the Willis Tower?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can see bolts this size on pretty much any city lamppost.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My first car was a '99.5 Jetta VR6. I loved that little car; it never let me down, even when I drove it to Alaska and back.

All it asked of me in seven years was a couple of O2 sensors and a shifter linkage whose plastic ball-joints had split.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blakeg posted:

Sticky tires, anti lag, good surface

cracked the center, then stipped all the spider gears, surprisingly it jammed up so i pulled the shafts and the rear drive shaft and the torsen center diff actually worked sufficiently for me to limp it to my work 2 minutes away in FWD mode. .
poor diff you have suffered so many launches and 3 times stock power for so long. St185 Gt4 (alltrack i think you us guys call it )

Ooh yeah, got two of those. Hadn't yet seen one inside out. (Soon, I'm sure.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always sort of assumed Tauri were the preferred car of the kind of people who tended to cram all their heaviest worldly possessions into the backs of their cars and drive around with four or five passengers at all times, but

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My guess is that's a G.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ExplodingSims posted:

Past Transgressions Cruiser is now my new favorite name for this shitbox.

I'd also like to go on record as saying that Cruiser and HHR thoroughly disprove the ideal the Manual = Better. Holy poo poo are those extra lovely cars.

I ended up renting an HHR once. I decided that HHR was the noise you make while driving it. A sort of heavy, resigned, back-of-the-throat sigh of disgust.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be fair a bulldozer doing landscaping shouldn't be able to dislodge a freeway bridge piling.

E: from the photo it looks like that whole riverbank was set to pack up regardless.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 3, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saga posted:

Good thing you've (apparently) never driven the previous generation Mustang then. Extremely poorly built, low-cost car with a gigantic (yet surprisingly uncharismatic) engine and terrifying handling. On the supercharged cabrio you could literally feel the chassis shudder and flex when you accelerated. I mean in a straight line.

You talking about the one prior to the mid-2000s retro redesign?

Because this is my '06 Roush, after 25 minutes hanging off the back bumper of that Gallardo, whose fairly hardcore driver was like :catstare:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yes, "sinuous" is one of the first words that comes to mind when looking at that thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's the bushingdo code

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not this?

:confused:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In Soviet Russia, joint confuses U.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She sounds like that car made a gearhead out of her. :3:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I always wondered why a phillips head driver was a tapered point and not just a flat plus-shaped rod end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:smugbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because that spot in Japan gets 20 meters of snow regularly and so it is a tourist destination, hence the buses.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ausgezeichnet posted:

Ok, Buddy. There's got to be a pic from friggin Norway or something with walls of snow taller than that.

Well played, Sir.

I've seen some photos from the Coast Ranges of British Columbia that give it a run for its money, actually.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looks like Thailand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dissss posted:

None of the current Chinese models that have made it to NZ are in any way worth buying, but the Geely LC managed to surprise me with just how terrible it is.

It's worse than it looks and that's saying so something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, it got osteoporosis and broke both hips?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah. It's well and good to design a cheap but critical part as a "fuse" for the system, so when it fails the whole thing just stops working. But it's missing the point if when your "fuse" fails the rest of your house bursts into flames.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a load-bearing poster!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

"We want to make it illegal for vehicle owners to work on their cars. Let's make it harder to change the oil and check the fluids" - Auto Manufacturers

Later...

"Hey look, Plastic gears in your engine!" - Auto Manufacturers

http://gizmodo.com/plastic-gears-reinforced-with-carbon-fiber-could-replac-1699417719
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20150416/414645/?n_cid=nbptec_tecrs

:catstare:

To be fair, if there are any auto manufacturers who are sponsoring this, they're sure as hell not saying so. Sounds more like it's the university that is trying to patent it and will be facing an uphill battle getting anyone to bite, including the manufacturers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They need some kind of iron-fisted ruler to step up and set everything to rights or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good for what ails ya, don'tchaknow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Preoptopus posted:

Car And Driver did a piece on the 2016 CTSV
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/15-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-640-hp-200-mph-2016-cadillac-cts-v#1
All I see is soon to be mechanical failures.

Future oil leak failure, note they are still using jesus clips.

I am having a bastard of a time seeing where the jesus clips/circlips are in these photos. Mind pointing them out?

E: never mind, guess it's on that oil fitting.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 2, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every year, a new and even more gigantic Canyonero-like Ford SUV beginning with "Ex". When the Excursion came out I did that Seinfeld gif in real life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xzzy posted:

I wonder if the owner of that vehicle is blaming the road conditions for their lovely ride.

"I paid my taxes why is this road so bumpy. :mad:"

That's the Tappan Zee Bridge, it'll eat rally car suspensions for lunch.

So, y'know, I'd give him points for trying that excuse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yowch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same phenomenon of going home for Christmas and being greeted with "Oh yeah, we had a power outage in March, would you mind fixing all the clocks that are blinking 12:00?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Horrible mechanical failure averted:

Left bank belt should not be deflecting this much, should it :raise:

Always a good feeling when you catch something just in time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd imagine maintaining one is reasonable if you're someone that already does all of their own work anyway.

Yeah, that's the funny thing. Everything else in the car is in spiffy shape and easy to deal with. The job was primarily a clutch replacement, which is surprisingly inexpensive, and the flywheel had a little scoring but no dishing, so no need for any four-figure sad times there.

"Engine out" sounds like :byodood:, but really it's not that bad. The whole subframe just drops out. And look at those plates that hold it to the chassis, nice flat things in a wide-open bay with plenty of room to work:

It was a more beautiful time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slow is Fast posted:

You didn't even talk about the funnest part about the ammeter firing all the electricity space magic through the jeep and burning it down.

Oh yeah, this was a good one. Spiffing up a '57 Bel Air with a giant blower sticking out of the hood for a cross-country speedrun. Let's see if there's a current on the horn! OH poo poo THE ENGINE'S CRANKING WTF :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rainwulf posted:

But the sedan.. holy crap. When you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket.. it ONLY unlocks the door you are closest too. You just get in, press start and off you go. It has every drat amazing thing you could ever expect, all the fantastic radar things, the line following cameras, hell, the rear seats have their own music and air con console. Its just loving nuts.

Does this mean "only unlocks the driver door", or literally if you walk up to the passenger-side rear door with the key then that's the one that opens?

If the latter, I wonder what technology they're using to detect proximity. But more importantly, I wonder what use case that is solving. Who is getting into a non-driver door with the key?