Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's another "Germans who build cars are loving mental"

Audi UFO Brakes.
http://www.spannerhead.com/2011/10/21/technical-curiosities-audis-ufo-brakes/

At least, I think this belongs here as it fits with the theme of the germans inventing some new, ludicrously complex way to do a very simple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

It's like you guys just realized haynes and chiltons are full of omissions, inaccuracies, bullshit, outright lies, oversimplifications, and terrible ideas :allears:

There will always be people holding out hope that installation will actually be the reverse of removal.

Thanks for linking this, I had been looking for it a few weeks ago to show someone how nutty some car designers got, but for some reason I had convinced myself it was a Honda thing instead of Audi.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't really see anything overly complex about the Audi brakes, they seem like a perfectly reasonable idea and the only reason they didn't catch on was because they look weird, and by not catching on it was expensive.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't really see anything overly complex about the Audi brakes, they seem like a perfectly reasonable idea and the only reason they didn't catch on was because they look weird, and by not catching on it was expensive.

And as the article states they wouldn't look too nice behind the Rimmzzzz people seem to be so enamored of. This is not really a valid objection, but what're ya gonna do?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

wolrah posted:

There will always be people holding out hope that installation will actually be the reverse of removal.

Thanks for linking this, I had been looking for it a few weeks ago to show someone how nutty some car designers got, but for some reason I had convinced myself it was a Honda thing instead of Audi.

Honda Gets a Giant gently caress-diddly-uck you! for the Needlessly difficult rotor replacement on the 90s Accord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtSPQ1L4fc

The only time I have ever taken parts back to the store because I couldn't get the job done was because of this poo poo on a 91 Accord.

Tear the entire suspension apart to get the rotor off. :psyduck:

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 22, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They also had issues with warping.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vanagoon posted:

Honda Gets a Giant gently caress-diddly-uck you! for the Needlessly difficult rotor replacement on the 90s Accord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtSPQ1L4fc

The only time I have ever taken parts back to the store because I couldn't get the job done was because of this poo poo on a 91 Accord.

Anytime you see a brake job guide titled "Part 1" you know you're in for a hell of a ride.

Especially since they lifted the 15 minute cap or whatever it was in ye oldene dayes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vanagoon posted:

Well, that answers why I was thinking Honda. It was actually the Accord that I kept thinking of, but I guess I was remembering the wrong weird brakes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

You are wrong. Those brakes are insanely prone to heat-soaking and other heat related ailments compared to conventional brakes. Yes, they technically offer more stopping power in a package the same size, but the trade-offs in basically every other area are massive. This is typical german thinking: compromise ten things so as to marginally improve one thing. They're also impossible to turn and are therefore useless as soon as they develop a shudder. They also cost an astronomical amount and are more of a prick to work on than normal ones (naturally).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

You are wrong. Those brakes are insanely prone to heat-soaking and other heat related ailments compared to conventional brakes. Yes, they technically offer more stopping power in a package the same size, but the trade-offs in basically every other area are massive. This is typical german thinking: compromise ten things so as to marginally improve one thing. They're also impossible to turn and are therefore useless as soon as they develop a shudder. They also cost an astronomical amount and are more of a prick to work on than normal ones (naturally).

So basically all the hassles of drum brakes with marginally more first-time stopping power than drums.

Par for ze course.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd love a ufo disc for my wall.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

kastein posted:

It's like you guys just realized haynes and chiltons are full of omissions, inaccuracies, bullshit, outright lies, oversimplifications, and terrible ideas :allears:

Don't forget 40 pictures of the easiest, most obvious steps, followed by only a non-illustrated, one sentence description of the most difficult and non-intuitive part of whatever procedure you're doing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hillridge posted:

Don't forget 40 pictures of the easiest, most obvious steps, followed by only a non-illustrated, one sentence description of the most difficult and non-intuitive part of whatever procedure you're doing.

I always thought you bought the Chiltons and Haynes for the figures and torque specs :shrug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Colour? In a Haynes? Heresy!

AA Book of the Car, I think.
Correct.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Hillridge posted:

I like the pictures of a hairy arm pointing at a bolt with no other reference at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"We want to make it illegal for vehicle owners to work on their cars. Let's make it harder to change the oil and check the fluids" - Auto Manufacturers

Later...

"Hey look, Plastic gears in your engine!" - Auto Manufacturers

http://gizmodo.com/plastic-gears-reinforced-with-carbon-fiber-could-replac-1699417719
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20150416/414645/?n_cid=nbptec_tecrs

:catstare:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 22, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hillridge posted:

Step 1: Disconnect the battery
Step 2: Put the car on your hydraulic lift and remove the engine
Step 3: Drain transmission fluid

Installation is reverse of removal

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CommieGIR posted:

"We want to make it illegal for vehicle owners to work on their cars. Let's make it harder to change the oil and check the fluids" - Auto Manufacturers

Later...

http://gizmodo.com/plastic-gears-reinforced-with-carbon-fiber-could-replac-1699417719
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20150416/414645/?n_cid=nbptec_tecrs

BMW, don't get any ideas. You've lost your plastic privileges.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo posted:

BMW, don't get any ideas. You've lost your plastic privileges.

I don't see vhat ze problem is, it vill last 4 years or 80 souazand miles.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So what is you guys' opinion on Haldex ?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But GM was already using plastic timing gears 30 years ago?

Everything old is new again?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_engine#Tech_IV posted:

When the cam gear loses a tooth, the camshaft AND distributor stop rotating during engine cranking. Replacing the gear requires heating the new gear in hot oil and quickly installing it for a shrink(interference) fit on the cam stub.

:laffo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Later...

To be fair, if there are any auto manufacturers who are sponsoring this, they're sure as hell not saying so. Sounds more like it's the university that is trying to patent it and will be facing an uphill battle getting anyone to bite, including the manufacturers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

veedubfreak posted:

So what is you guys' opinion on Haldex ?
A generally clever and well-designed system that has evolved over the years to provide much greater ability to vector excuses over why you didn't buy something RWD-based like you should have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

To be fair, if there are any auto manufacturers who are sponsoring this, they're sure as hell not saying so. Sounds more like it's the university that is trying to patent it and will be facing an uphill battle getting anyone to bite, including the manufacturers.

John Deere is one of them, at least.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

A generally clever and well-designed system that has evolved over the years to provide much greater ability to vector excuses over why you didn't buy something RWD-based like you should have.

Show me a RWD hatchback that won't kill me in the snow that I can buy new for under 40k :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

veedubfreak posted:

Show me a RWD hatchback that won't kill me in the snow that I can buy new for under 40k :)
An M135i with snow tyres.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

An M135i with snow tyres.

Is that actually available in the US in hatchback form? I can't even find the 1 series on the us page.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

veedubfreak posted:

Is that actually available in the US in hatchback form? I can't even find the 1 series on the us page.
Nope.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Powershift posted:

I don't see vhat ze problem is, it vill last 4 years or 80 souazand kilohmeeters.

FTFY

Which will come out to about 50k miles. :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I'm well aware of Chiltons and Haynes. I own a first-gen RX-7, where they attempt to use the same manual for '79-85, when there were quite a few changes made in '81, and major ones in '84. Also the Olds Cutlass manual that covers like '66-'87 in one 3/4" thick book.
The bodywork thing I saw came form the manual I bought back in high school for my Chevy Monza back in '87-8, I think. First experience with Chilton's, but even then I knew that bodywork didn't work that way.

Hillridge posted:

That, too. Most. Infuriating. Thing. Ever.

CommieGIR posted:

Later...

Oh, gently caress that forever.

Throatwarbler posted:

And the nylon teeth on the aluminum timing chain gears on Chevy V8s back in the '80s worked ever so well, too.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CommieGIR posted:

I always thought you bought the Chiltons and Haynes for the figures and torque specs :shrug:

Haynes' wheel bearing preload spec for my old Polo/Ibiza is:

Haynes "Lol what's preload?!" Manual posted:

Gradually slacken the hub nut until the position is found where it is just possible to move the toothed washer from side to side using a screwdriver. Note: Only a small amount of force should be needed to move the washer.

Meanwhile the one for my Peugeot is adament it never came with the tyre size mine left the factory with. :shrug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget the "This is a very complex assembly and not suitable for DIY rebuilding so we ain't telling you poo poo".

:fuckoff: Give me a list of tolerances/torque specs and I'll sort myself out. *Hunts down factory manual on Ebay instead.*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

Haynes' wheel bearing preload spec for my old Polo/Ibiza is:

Meanwhile the one for my Peugeot is adament it never came with the tyre size mine left the factory with. :shrug:

They usually have some tables with the torque values. That was the only reason I bought my Chiltons.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Don't forget the "This is a very complex assembly and not suitable for DIY rebuilding so we ain't telling you poo poo".

:fuckoff: Give me a list of tolerances/torque specs and I'll sort myself out. *Hunts down factory manual on Ebay instead.*

Oh god. That. If I followed the Haynes / Gregory's manuals I'm pretty sure I would have died from a horrible mechanical failure. Even as a teen, removing an engine or whatever I'd just use the manual for reference pictures and completely ignore it because of the sheer amount of retarded stuff it told me to do.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Looks like my mountain bike frame needs a little repair work:

Nice thing is there's a local guy that can do it over the weekend, and my bike shop is lending me one of their full suspension demo bikes for a ride tomorrow.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The ones I have are like that for the transmission. They'll tell you step by step how to rebuild the engine, but nope gently caress you guy transmission anything is just too hard for you. I only use it for lug nut torques now since I got the service manual for the zx2.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jamal posted:

Looks like my mountain bike frame needs a little repair work:

Nice thing is there's a local guy that can do it over the weekend, and my bike shop is lending me one of their full suspension demo bikes for a ride tomorrow.

You can actually repair that?

Manual chat. The only manual I ever trusted for my bugs was the Bentley, but those things were worth their weight in gold.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

You can actually repair that?
Bondo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Bentley manuals are amusing as documentation of all the ridiculous special tools the manufacturer recommended.

When all you really need for most of it is a hammer and a screwdriver.

But I still keep it on the shelf, right next to my Muir idiot guide.