Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I bet that made a noise :v:

Nothing here for scale but its a (pile of) tire(s) from a Cat 773.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whats the fun in that?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I always liked whoever posted the picture of a fingernail hanging off of a jagged chunk of rust.

Sympathy wince just from reading this post and remembering the pic. Ow.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I thought it was kinda inspired. "Okay, weave a net of wire around the terminal and then ziptie the gently caress out of it so it stays put"

E: Oh and the cable to the rest of the car just had a strand of copper wrapped around it and a ziptie holding it down? :lol:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wish I could've gotten a picture of it but a few months back I saw a Suburban (or some other big GMC suv) on the freeway with a hot tub shell on top of it. The shell was tied to the car at one single point, by a strap from the front bumper up over the hood to the tub liner. What else was holding it on? Why, the 4 rather burly gentlemen in the vehicle reaching out of their open windows (including the driver) and, presumably, keeping the tub in place with a death grip and sheer force of will.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

I don't like the socket set on top of the engine like that though. One wayward nudge with the elbow and you get to spend the next ten minutes trying to extract sockets from greasy nooks and crannies deep inside the engine bay.

Then you finish and notice one is still missing.

I always put my unused tools on the ground.

Really, screw putting anything up on top like that.

Ask me about the time I spent 20 minutes fishing around with a magnetic grabber trying to find the battery bolt I knocked in which I would've been capital F hosed without.

The worst sound is the metallic ting ding....and then no sound of it hitting the ground. :smithicide:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love this, that sound is just beautiful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

sharkytm posted:

It could be Chevy, who used a properly-sized and rated resistor, but then under-specced the wire.

That's what the wiring in my truck looked like, only with more scorch marks.

Oh, uh, hmm. I wonder if this is something I have to worry about. I've got an 02 Silverado and the HVAC control panel has always felt quite a bit warmer than it should..

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Customer reports they hit a pothole, heard a loud popping sound and the stereo sucked 4 inches into the dash then everything died.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

gently caress that web page for trying to block right clicks with javascript.

Javascript turned off by default, sure it makes the initial visits to a new website a hassle but it cockblocks that bullshit right away.

So would this whole ABS bleeding stuff possibly be why I could never get the brakes right on the old volvo I had as a teenager after the brakes overheated? It was a mid 80's model, no idea if it actually had ABS or not. Worked with my uncle and replaced the MC, new fluid and bled that sucker half a dozen times and they never worked right.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Enourmo posted:

its a jeep thing

and i definitely dont understand

The lines are under enough tension that losing one pole doesn't bring the whole thing down. So it's just kinda hovering there after the jeep said hi.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There's almost a little question mark at the point of The Event, as if to say you might want to know more about this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the subject of rodents and wring, a pack-rat once ate/trashed basically every bit of wire and harness insulation forward of the firewall in my dad's early 90s chevy pickup once while he was out of town for an extended with project. I guess thats what you get for barn parking. :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

MultipaDashboard.jpg

What is the speedo doing all the way over there? :psyduck:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Some people willingly use oil filters that have toilet paper.
They were a big thing in the 1970s. Frantz is the only name I remember, but there's more (probably for industrial plant).

E: http://jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/replacing_filter_element..html

These guys do have something that looks somewhat meant for the role for sale, at least.

quote:

Cellulose Roll Filter

A tightly wound cellulose roll in a fine cheese-cloth bag with a metal eyelet for easy, clean removal. Designed to continuously clean lubrication oil of harmful and corrosive solids, water and chemicals. Approximate size 105mm dia. X 105 mm length. We sell these elements in any quantity you wish.
Our Price
Au$10.00 each.

Perfect? I doubt it. Better than a 480 roll bulk pack from Costco? Probably.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What is the huge bag of white stuff? I legit have no idea wtf he said it was because of his accent.

Alum

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sample size of one and all but the Explorer with 30k I had the pleasure of driving was great fun. On average it took 4 tries to get it to shift into reverse!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm halfway knowledgeable about cars and would have figured all the computers between the pedal and the engine would keep my dumb rear end from blowing it up unless I've been ignoring a CEL and some physical signs. Is that too much to expect?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A bro truck killed my grandma. Douchebag ran a stop sign at a rural 4-way and t-boned my grandparents, his winch went through the passenger window. :smith: gently caress those guys and their needlessly lifted trucks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

spog posted:

If it were me, I'd have fixed the big digger and then used it to clear up its own mess.

The not-paying-very-close-attention-to-the-voiceover message I took away was 'this show-prepped, brand new machine will piss itself and dump toxic waste over the ground and it takes so long to fix that we had to get another machine to clear it up before it melts the Earth's crust'

What? It blew a hydraulic hose. That happens all the time and is a very simple fix, usually. Something that big probably requires hoses beyond the size an average supply shop* can put together in 15 minutes, but still. The idea behind using a smaller, running piece of equipment to dig up the contaminated soil was to do it quickly before it soaked in deeper and necessitated removing even more soil.

In the construction project, "send the parts runner to the nearest NAPA" sense. A big mine would have a full fledged hose shop on-site.

E:

Midjack posted:

People who have had to deal with similar incidents and are otherwise familiar with heavy equipment use in industry may draw different conclusions.

Yeah, that. Whattup entire extra page :downs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They really should have loaded up the finale truck with high explosive instead of ANFO. Just one second it's there, a fraction of a second later there's a little more junk in orbit and a big ole crater.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Look at this photoshop wizard over here...

Yeah, good job of editing out the bird you're flipping it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good spot. Zero eyepro too, unless he tucked his safety glasses behind his ears.

He got lucky. Hope this is a good lesson for everyone in that shop.

Looks like a buffing or waxing wheel, so eye pro proooobably isn't strictly necessary...just smart.

I'd be wearing some

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

I could swear that the largest shipping company declared bankruptcy a year or two ago. Crews that were at sea at the time didn't know if they were going to get paid.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happened-to-hanjins-ships-and-freight-rates-2017-1

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I clunked into a rock once while mowing the grass, blade broke clean in half and went flying two ways. One happened to be right into the tip of my boot. Gouged it good, but I was wearing steel toes so that was all it did. Surprised the poo poo out of me, tho.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Y'all just reaffirming how glad I was to be wearing steel toes, gently caress.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Puddin posted:

Finaldestination.jpg

I literally just had my mulching mowers blade break off the prop and the blade go flying off to the right, thank gently caress it went away from myself.

I can only imagine the carnage if that thing ended up hitting your shins.

I had my mower blade break in half one time, half of it spat right out the back and nailed me on the toe. I happened to be wearing steel toes, and cause of that incident make drat sure i continue to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah, you're correct. And a big multi channel hydraulic swivel union in the middle of the thing. I don't know why I didn't expect that, somehow I was picturing driveshafts and poo poo going through there even though I know the controls are hydraulic.

Now I'm just picturing an excavator designed by Germans and the untold overly complicated mechanical horrors, like a universally jointed driveshaft, it would entail.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

*drives off in a prius*

*squints* Mit-su-bishi?

They built the planes that bombed pearl harbor!

RIP Cotton.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can't say I've had any serious complaints with the various Dodge work trucks I've had over the years. Plus after rolling down a hill in one last year (thanks, meth head who drifted into my lane), I respect how well it kept my rear end intact.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

chrisgt posted:

How come it isn't more common to use diesel engines, TDI, etc.
They're happy to run all day at 2800rpm, make gobs of power, and will be running when only cockroaches are left on the planet.
Oh, and you can burn JP1 as long as you add some 2-stroke oil or something for lubricity.

Air density? Turbo reliability when they're having to shovel that much more air in?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

STR posted:

Owner has been ignoring some relatively inexpensive noises for a long time for that to happen (and it got a shitload more expensive - new control arm, new strut, new tire, new brake line from what I can see). Ball joints aren't that expensive to have done, and they usually protest a bit before they let go like that.

I had been getting some weird grinding and scraping on turns for a few days, so I took my work truck (Ram 2500 with ~220k) by the yard and the head mechanic looked at it. Couldn't reproduce, somehow. He shrugged, figured he had more important heavy equipment to work on, and told me to "drive it until it presents itself"

Well literally that night on my way home, I bumped over the expansion joint on a bridge and my passenger front wheel bearing failed and my truck started pulling hard right for the side of the bridge. Not loving cool. Limped to where I could pull over and that tire had helllla camber now. I guess I'm lucky it didn't loving fall off.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The three dimensional surface profile of the rust lump rotor increases heat dissipation capabilities at only minor losses to brake pad friction.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soon to be mechanical failures: my work truck (F150) is making rattling/typerwriter noises from somewhere under the hood, mostly but not always nearer to startup than after running a while, mostly but not always around 1600-2100rpms and usually though not always in lower gears, also generally when climbing grades. It's weird when shifting, a little bit of lag and surge to the power at the wheels. It seems to not want to shift up unless I goose the throttle up a bit to convince it. Oil checks out fine. Guess I should check the transmission oil too and dig out my OBDII reader.

The true upcoming failure is that the shop guy/parts runner is busy dealing with a recall on our 250s and says he'll get to it.

Hopefully before it blows up.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 20, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Don't you love how the lubricating oil for those big compressors is like $1,000/gallon too

Me: "But the part number is the same as this stuff the Chevron guy can get me for, like, a fifth your price?"
Rep: "Yes."
Me: "And they can sell it to me in a 55gal drum for servicing the entire fleet, and you only offer 5gal buckets?"
Rep: "Yes."
Me: "What aren't you telling me?"
Rep: "Use any oil other than ours and you'll void the warranty."

:negative:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:lmao: Holy poo poo that thing took off.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That is some awesome carnage.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

funeral home DJ posted:

Yeah, looking at the broken rim around the top of the oil pan gave me pause to the point I didn’t notice his shirt visible behind the 9 inch hole in the bottom of the pan. :stare: I mean, if you’re gonna go out, go big.

I was too busy paying attention to him pulling chunks out that every time he pulled a piece out of a new hole it was a :stare: from me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Every single con rod detonated. How in the gently caress?

The data logger he went through showed two drops in oil pressure, the first one somewhat smaller and the second precipitous. First rod went, blew a hole out, oil pressure dropped, and the engine rapidly oil starved and beat itself up at 8k rpm, then blew several more holes as each rod went in succession? Maybe hand-in-hand with suspect metallurgy in that batch of con rods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I see big boys like these in various stages of torn apart in the mechanic's yard as I drive by every day, so its fun to watch the actual process.