Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
In other transmission news, how big a piece of poo poo was the auto in mid 90's mitsubishis? I know I spent essentially all my summer money rebuilding one in Galant over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

It would run forever on literally any grade of gasoline, but people would find the distinct shape of the seat divisive.

It's not my fault it feels like sitting on dildos.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My uncle got tired of the often changed flats on the old farm truck in the 60s and experimented with speeding up the tire changing process by only finger tightening the lug nuts.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

I don't care what it's from, it's a still frame of a burning human corpse that I just had to explain to my extended family on the couch.

Quit browsing the forums at family events you loving goon.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Or just make sure your dog doesn't get on the loving street. If it isn't chasing bikes, it may get run over by a car. You're really an rear end in a top hat if you let your dog just roam the neighborhood. I understand that dogs sometimes get out, but not this often.
This doesn't mean mace or guns are the answer, but what the gently caress is wrong with these owners?

The drat woman across the street just kicks her dogs out the front door when it's time for them to poo poo. She'll hang around on the porch to shoo them off and keep them from making GBS threads on her yard, but beyond that...

Some dog owners are real fuckers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

This is pretty much what I was getting at - crumple zones are largely irrelevant when your vehicle's primary defense strategy is to outmass and outsize most other vehicles on the road.

It's an unfortunate facet of mental health treatment in the country today that being a complete sociopath is not only unrecognized and untreated but offered a tax break.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

*search for half an hour
*give up
*finish job
*start engine
*hear fan hit socket
*hear sound of plastic blades in a blender
*shut engine off

*lay head on steering wheel and sob gently.

I had a socket disappear on me once. Weeks later, I was driving down the interstate when I heard a soft crack followed immediately by a loud ping, I looked in my rearview in time to see a chrome flash arch through the air behind me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Please can you use the tags when posing big spoilers in future?

Hah, I thought it was parked under a bridge.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

And the wing is something like $2500.

A fantastic price for some infrastructure!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

I loved that car. Raising the suspension to MAINTENANCE HEIGHT to ford flooded road never got old.

Man, I wish my car could do that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I cracked my dad's windshield with my forehead when I was like eight. He rear ended someone, I was in the front without a seat belt. Didn't feel a thing, didn't even get a bruise, but the windshield cracked right down the middle. He ended up driving it for like another decade with the huge crack in it. Too be fair, it was a late-70's/early-80's Malibu, so I don't know how strong its glass was...

My little brother kept wiggling out of his seatbelt back in the day in my mom's Mercury minivan. I brake checked him, he smacked the glass and it cracked all the way across from right to left. He wasn't hurt, either.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Saw this today going home.

Moremoneythansense.jpg

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I was riding with my dad in his hilux down a dirt road when the driveshaft let go of the transmission and the rear end of the truck did a credible pole vault.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

When I lived up in the mountains in Colorado, I'd shut my car off at the top of this HUGE hill leading into the next town. This was about 3.5 miles. There were 5 traffic lights in the town. If they were all green, I could easily coast all the way to the other side of the town.
I only actually did it twice, despite trying every week day for two years. It was all more about the traffic lights rather than MPGs.

Another good one is when you drive down Pikes Peak. The downhill from the summit is rather steep. They stop you part way down to make sure your brakes are okay by measuring them with an IR thermometer. If you're over 300F they make you stop for one hour. My temperature last time? 60F - I only had to use the brakes once. Everything else was engine-off engine braking. What did I get? A pack of smarties from the ranger. OH YEAH!

(Fluke actually uses the Pikes Peak brake check as a case study for their IR thermometers on their website)

When I was 14 I had a hardship license and a 25 mile commute to high school. I did a lot of dumb poo poo but was a pretty experienced driver by the time my peers all got licenses 2 years later.

One day my LeCar was exactly halfway between podunk and nowheresville with the gas gauge showing half a tank when I ran out of gas. After a particularly brutal soccer practice that afternoon I still had no option but to lace back up my running shoes and flip a coin whether to head to podunk or nowheresville. I jogged about 7 miles before a van stopped and gave me a ride into podunk. I bought a gas can and some fuel and jogged about 4 miles back towards LeCar before I caught a ride on a tractor. Long story short, I got really fuel paranoid in that car which leads to the relevant party of the story.

I got into a primitive form of hypermiling and on the trip home there was a point where you could coast about three miles. One day I was getting close to empty so I turned the engine off instead of just idling in neutral. The problem was my reflexive action after turning off the ignition was to remove the keys and toss them in my backpack, which I did. Unfortunately, my long coast downhill had a turn and I entered it perfectly lah-di-dah until half way through my steering wheel locked up and I couldn't disengage from the turn and went bonk right into the ditch.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The VTEC kicked in, yo

Ftfy

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Christ on a crutch, I've been changing and rotating tires on my personal fleet for twenty freaking years with the 'tighten down with a four way by foot roughly as hard as it was to break loose with your foot in the first place' method and I have never had a wheel come off, a stud or lug nut break, anything.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Are tracked vehicles allowed on public roads? Because I see a possible solution for a lot of infrastructure problems

Tracks are devastating to pavement.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Impending transmission failure:

How so?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ah, there we go.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Friar Zucchini posted:

What am I looking at?

The smooth bogey wheel right below the 'eight' in eighton is supposed to be on the ground.

The track pattern is supposed to be a rounded off triangle, not a rhombus trapezoid.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 19, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Almost everyone.

I can only imagine what that would've done to the cost of the rear windshield I had to replace because it took a rock in ~10*F weather and spiderwebbed like a horror movie. Just having the defrost option was like $250 on top of the base cost.

How does a rear window take a rock?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Well, I figured out what was making the clanking sound on my beater minivan:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Strut top?

Yep. Struts were only a couple years old, too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I feel like the proper solution to the getting stuck in mud problem probably doesn't lie in the moah powaaah but they've all decided gently caress it, let's go full Clarkson.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Turn it on the side and run a tank on it!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Too many people would bitch that "the gubmint wants to tell me to manetane muh kar".

It's more like 'the gubmint wants to extract money from me to enrichen the gubmint's cousin earl' but whatever

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

The best way to keep unsafe vehicles off the road is to invest in good and inexpensive public transportation.have regular inspections, a proactive traffic police force and confiscation penalties for non-compliance

I hate poor people, too :grin:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I was behind a old Bronco one day and the body was at least 10 degrees out of alignment with the direction of travel in every single dimension.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

Ive never found a set of ramps that would take any of my cars. They have always been too steep and stuff has always caught on them as i tried to drive up.

Forgive me gravity god, I have sinned, but you can use several short lengths of 2x4s to get a car up onto ramps.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Why is everyone standing around instead of going and telling the operators to shut the drat thing off?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I took my wife's Camry to a jiffy lube one day when I was in a hurry and the apes at jiffy lube discovered that the apes at the Toyota dealership had mauled the filter the time before. Also, a heat shield was missing, but I can't be totally sure that wasn't her run over every single thing driving style.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

USAA. Because it was cheaper, and Georgia rates suck no matter who you are with.

My USAA rates have never gone up (except when adding new vehicles)

On the other hand, they've never gone down, either, despite insuring the same car from new to now for 12 years with no claims and me aging out of the gently caress you insurance bracket.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

and that they're probably not aiming for a huge profit margin, if any

They actually issue yearly dividends.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

First of all, I didn't say I condone this behavior whether through commission or omission. I'm realistic that bubba isn't going to change his deep rooted vernacular. We can spout moral high-ground all day, but the fact of the matter is, this guy that kastein encountered isn't the problem with America. He's not propagating racism by using a term that everyone in his family, and his friends and their family say as simply as calling a tissue a kleenex, the likelihood that he even encounters non-white people is probably pretty small in his agrarian microcosm that he exists in. TLDR: I don't talk poo poo about people because of their colloquialisms, and lecturing to/about them changes NOTHING.

Now see here, Nazi...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Horrible Derailing Failures

(please stop)

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

F-105 Thunderchief. It was a piece of poo poo.

They would have lost a lot of any airplane they were using like that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Headline:
EXPLODING ENGINE THROWS AIRPLANE INTO A TAIL SPIN

Story:

Airplane shudders after substantial damage to half its engines and makes it down safe and otherwise completely sound.

Fire headline writers into the sun.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wonder what kinds of crazy stuff we'd see if the 8th Air Force had hi resolution cameras in everyone's pocket in 1944

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

1/4. It was an A380.

poo poo, even less of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They said he didn't have front brakes, either.

Then how'd they pull him over, hmmm?