Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well huh. Never lnew you had to park a manual in gear for maximum safety.

Guess thats what I get for living in a place uniformly parallel to the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FogHelmut posted:

Looks like the dudes in the back left are trying to apply some kind of brake, which slows down the chain a bit at first, but it heats up and catches fire and fails and its off to the races.

Brake fade :argh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deceptor101 posted:

if you mean Electrolysis, I'm pretty sure this is a huge no-no on anything chrome-plated. Electrolysis will create Hexavalent Chromium and turn your bucket into a super-fund site. Apparently bad idea for stainless parts too. Acid-based rust removers are fine though.

Which you can fix with a bit of a reducing agent in an acidic environment. Reducing it to chrome(III) which is practically harmless.

Which is code for throw a cup of acid in there with some zinc filings.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

some texas redneck posted:

If it was magnesium, there's not much most FDs can do aside from trying to protect nearby property. Once magnesium starts burning, it's drat near impossible to put out without dry chemicals. It burns hot enough that when water hits it, it breaks the water down to oxygen and hydrogen, which just adds to the fireworks (I'm an idiot, but water still only adds to the "fire" issue with a magnesium fire unless you can completely submerge the magnesium)

I thought they used magnesium alloys, or at least magnesium core aluminum.
Not just pure magnesium. That must be terrible for longevity, even if galvanised since whatever is galvanising it is probably less reactive than Mg.

Urgh metallurgy might as well be magic as far as I'm concerned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

the one true best 6 gear layout:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Estimations. You keep many of them running for an amount of time and, with a bit of the good old heuristic sense and material spec sheet, extrapolate based on damage/wear.

Or just lie out your rear end.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I do know the only way to engine brake on Nissan's xtronic CVT is to put it into 'sport' mode, or pressing the overdrive off at low speeds. It's pretty noticeable either way.
Still though I've driven an 2012 altima and it eats so much more gas than a chipped and tuned manual BMW on the longer drives.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ola posted:

Yeah it's a dumb argument. If had tripled the speed limit and crashed on fresh street tires, I'm sure he would blame the lack of race compounds in modern street tires.

SPORT CUP 2S FOR EVERYONE

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is my torque wrench
this is my gun
This ones for torqueing
this ones for 'fun'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Saga posted:

Yeah but these days that means you have to buy a 335i or d which will then blow up. :)

If I keep my -ti for the time being, it's going to be replaced with a 130i M Sport when prices drop south of £3,000 That may be the last good BMW road car that hasn't been broken by turbos, direct injection etc etc.

Turbos I can understand, throttle response etc.
But DI?

My next thought is you saying disc brakes ruined driving.

The one after that is "man i miss choke handles"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cojawfee posted:

The Germans screwed up direct injection. From the mid 2000s on, you have to blast all the carbon off the back of the intake valves because they didn't put in a fuel sprayer back there to clean them.

Oh yeah that problem.
I thought their comment was a qualitative 'driving feel' that DI somehow took away.
Which is what people usually mean when they talk about last good road cars.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

N is for Nipples posted:

Do you mean DI vs. earlier EFI (where injectors are located in ports just before the valves or even in the throttle body) or EFI in general vs. carbs?

I thought saga was bemoaning DI as something bad for a road car.

And yeah toyota has that dual injection thing going, think its called d-4d or D-4i or something.
They made a fuss about it when they announced the FRS engine.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CommieGIR posted:

They should've kept the Inline 6 and just turbocharged it.

Heh
Heeeeeh

Asking mid-late 00s DaimlerChrysler to dp anything right

Hah

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guys I think the cooling department in BMW is either severely underfunded or staffed by lazy people.

If the latter where do I sign up

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How have you not heard to go to AI joke for coolant troubles?
I see it almost every other page in this thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ferremit posted:

Ballast helps with stability and traction- Each of my rear tyres has about half a tonne of water/glycol mix in them and the fronts are about 300kg each. Nearly 1.5T of tyre ballast lowers your centre of gravity to the point where this thing will happily climb and descend 40 degree slopes and a 30 degree side slope, while making you poo poo yourself, isnt that big a deal.

We've got radials on it because it would do 2-3000kms a year driving on the road between parks. Bit different from a farm tractor that might go paddock to paddock, our two furthest parks apart are nearly 3hrs travel time each way.

Thats a lot of weight sloshing around. Christ.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bullahit thats axel from twisted metal

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fiberglass reinforced, butylene overmould

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

100% would have started a localized ice age.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh dang I got LSD in my LSD

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArcMage posted:

I've replaced the coil pack on this poor Passat four goddamn times in 20k miles, why is this?

Found the problem
Hoo boy im tired gonna crack open a beer to celebrate my hard work

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres also lingo for the bank angle of the road

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Data Graham posted:

My mentor/partner is all like "Dont ever do this, this is for experts only" *BRRRAP BRRRAP*

Yeah brah more torque than a supercar
*Brap brap*
Itll never get loose

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I can see some insane fucker prepping a cnc machine, clamping themselves on the work table and starting it up as they lose conciousness from anaesthetic

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gorilla Salad posted:

In places where the heat actually starts to soften the asphalt.

Concrete's fine. Asphalt turns into a nasty sticky mess when the temperature's in the 40ºC range for a week or more. People driving fast actually move it all around and I know many places where you get waves in the road from acceleration/braking.

I've never seen a road tent up like that from heat, though.

That said - I've only ever noticed it in cities and other busy areas. In quieter areas, like in the actual outback where it can be 40º for weeks, I've never had problems.

Lol get on arab gulf state level.
Inner city asphalt temps of ~50C.
Daily HGV traffic.

Granted it never gets colder than about 14-15C

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nm posted:

It is almsot like they formulate asphalt mixes for the expected temps of the area.

My asphalt dick stays rock hard in the hottest weather

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enourmo posted:

Manufacturers are squeezing spares into extremely tight spaces these days, especially Germans; I believe Mercedes is the one that has the sidewalls collapsed and you have to fill them roadside.

It's entirely possible that putting a half inch tall flange for the lugs would have meant re engineering the entire trunk area.

might be more a fault of increasingly larger and wider tire sizes on luxury cars rather than dwindling trunk space.
Goddamn Altimas coming with space savers now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They should really tell new drivers "if its screwed on dont touch it"
Washer cap is usually the easiest one to get at so even if all the markings are gone and you are blind you could just go by what opens easiest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Collateral Damage posted:

Compared to the cost of renting the test facility, the crash test dummies and the man hours spent on preparing, testing and evaluating the results the cost of the actual test vehicle is basically a rounding error.

And that is a rounding error to a cars development budget.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jacobs chuck?
nothing much was lost.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am such a codger for proper tool use
Any tool
Kitchen knives are tools so I go loopy when i see people chop with paring knives.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

InitialDave posted:

Nothing is more pro than Doccers using his lathe for food prep.

A food processor is just a vertical lathe

NitroSpazzz posted:

My wife is the opposite, any job requiring something to be cut requires the 9" chef's knife. I've tried correcting but it doesn't help so I do most of the food prep cutting and keep it sharp for when she uses it.

That was also me, until I got a proper knife set. Still try to debone with a chefs knife on instinct sometimes.
It's also me in other peoples homes since chances are that the chefs knife is the only one that's kept its edge.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 7, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CommieGIR posted:

Regardless if you are using premixed, etc, you need to flush your coolant annually. It WILL gain a charge, and it WILL corrode your engine. Period. That doesn't change regardless of what water you use, it'll just happen faster with tap water than with purified water.

There are simple electrical tests you can do with your coolant to verify its health and whether the coolant needs to be changed:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/coolant-testing-with-a-multimeter/view-all/

http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101/how-to-test

What about eurotrash cars that run pressurized coolant systems

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jamal posted:

Mercury has a way lower heat capacity by volume than water. In fact I can't find a material that would be a better coolant and is liquid at the right temperatures. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have in thermodynamics and don't have a textbook handy though.

Gallium? Though again: aluminium amalgamation.
Hm

What about NaK? It catches fire when exposed to air but is relatively stable without exposure to oxidants. Liquid at RTP too, and less dense than water: ~.8g/cm3 so a 20% weight saving over straight water, and more depending on glycol content. 1/4 the heat capacity but the thermal conductivity is much higher. A lot more viscous through all temperatures as well.

Hmmmm
Food for thought.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wanna see that lathe that can hold a 500 lb part

And what uses are there for a 500lb ball of inconel anyways?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 26, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Data Graham posted:

Just have a crab walk in front of it

Thats delta p but the other way around.

...great now im in the animals vs heavy machinery youtube hole

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 9, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

evil_bunnY posted:

Most turbos die shortly above midrange too (small ones spool quick and die early).

Try driving a small diesel and you will instantly believe that yes, cars can be purely emotionless appliance.

A gob of torque at spoolup and then absolutely nothing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those are some incredibly lucky people :stare:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sandoz posted:

assuming constant deceleration, 20 seconds

just under one g

I was expecting worse honestly.
Maybe the centripretal Gs were more.