Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BrumDart posted:

Anyone thirsty?

I was craving chocolate milk today. Not anymore. :barf:

"How many miles ago was your last oil change?"

"Eh, uhm... I dunno... uh... a few thousand I think?" :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

8th-samurai posted:

I didn't stop to take a photo because I was pressed for time but tonight I did a coworker a favor and changed out the battery of her 2001 PT Cruiser. The negative battery terminal had (no joke) about 1.5 inches of white/green foamy build up on it. When I told her that she said "the AAA guy that jump started me the other day told me the battery looked okay". This was the OEM battery by the way.

Jesus H, how well did the car turn over with a 12 year old battery? Even Optimas always poo poo out on me after a few years, conveniently months after the warranty window. :argh:

8th-samurai posted:

Oh I am sure that he never even looked, or maybe doesn't even know where the actual battery is located. Spoiler alert: it's wedged underneath the comedy large airbox.

I seem to recall that most PT Cruisers came with a battery cover of some kind, so that explains why he probably didn't even look at it.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 15, 2013

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

PainterofCrap posted:

The first bolt was sticky but came out. The lower bolt sheared off.
:stonk:

Was it a matter of rust, over-torque, or a little bit of both?

Root Bear posted:

Another kind of oil pan mishap; rust from the inside-out!

How is that even possible? I'm legitimately puzzled - I always assumed oil would provide a ridiculously effective barrier against air and moisture.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Opensourcepirate posted:

I just went to check the date on the battery in my Jetta, which I haven't touched since buying the car in 2005. I couldn't find one, but I did find a very angry note that had fallen under the hood, berating me for parking in the space that they shoveled out after the blizzard.
As in, parking on the street in a spot that someone shoveled out assuming that no one else would ever park there? In that case I'd very clearly instruct them to :fuckoff:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

PainterofCrap posted:

We managed to get WD-40 on the top one but couldn't see poo poo through the dust shield and didn't want to contaminate the pads by cropdusting the whole thing. I'll be putting new pads on anyway, as it turns out, so I'll be cropdusting the driver's side because I'm a loving moron glutton for punishment decent uncle that will not be defeated.

Continuing what Black88GTA said, you could weld on a replacement head and take the vice grip or breaker bar to that, but also keep carefully heating that surrounding housing with the torch like you have been to give it a little more wiggle room.

The only concern I have with welding on a head is that seam will most likely break easier than the original head, but at least you'll get somewhere with it before it does.

EDIT: To remove any doubt, I am a lovely welder though, so you'll probably have a much better time with it than I have in the past.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 18, 2013

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

chrisgt posted:

That rusted from the outside... I've seen this a couple times on subarus. Actually the worst one I ever saw was on my own subaru. I started scraping the bottom of the pan with a screwdriver to see how bad the rust was, and I loving put the screwdriver through the bottom of the pan. I had no idea how the gently caress it can rust that much. I'd think once it started weeping oil the rust would stop, but never underestimate road salt....

gently caress, when I sold my truck last month the entire underside had a liberal coating of rust from 12 years of road salt and midwest US humidity. I'm glad I never experienced a leaky oil pan, and I'm especially glad I never felt the urge to scrape poo poo off before the sale.

Is there any way to prevent this? Coating with sealant, regular car washes, Satanic rituals?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BoostCreep posted:

Good thing I pulled the new alternator out of the box to check it before walking out of the store. The entire casing was cocked and the pulley was jammed and unable to spin.

Looks like somebody either A) dropped it off a ten-foot stock shelf in the back of the store and decided to put it back before anyone noticed, or B) got a little too excited torquing that last bolt.

Memento1979 posted:

What's that son? You're telling me driving along the freeway at 70mph in 4-Hi isn't a good idea?

:stonk:

I owned a 4WD and occasionally ran it in 4-hi at 30-35mph. I know that's a safe speed and shouldn't cause any damage, but this picture scares me so much that if I ever own another 4WD, I probably won't even use it out of fear.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Voltage posted:

'Triple Tested' :lol:

Hey now, it never said 'Triple Passed'. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Nomex posted:

I saw this guy in the parking lot yesterday.

Did nobody ever tell him that if he doesn't stop crossing them, they'd stay that way?

The better question is, how did he even make it to the parking lot like that?