Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

actual good screw and nut drivers have flats/a hex area on the shaft to do this with. and a metal strike cap on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hydraulic motors, I thought.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would really like to know if that works on refrigerant leaks, but i can't even get the boss to pony up for more than one 200 dollar sniffer per 10 techs, so lol at getting this space magick funded.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It was the heat exchanger for a domestic hot water boiler.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

More info necessary. Boiler size?

second hand photo, but 500k btu. zero maintenance done since installation through 5 years of life. unit is also piped to heat domestic water directly, instead of treated water looped through a heat exchanger tank.
said domestic water was also not softened for at least a year. one of 4 units that serve a 15 story commercial/residential building.

units got rode hard, put away wet. surprise, they broken now.

if you look close you can see one of several pinhole leaks in the back pissing water. the center is where the metal mesh burner goes (natural gas)

Unrelated equipment failure:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A seasons "gently caress you" to the engineers who spec pumps like the above. the twinned volute means you don't have isolation for each pump, which is great when the seal pops a leak, because now you either shut off both pumps (the only heat for the building), or run one and dump treated water down the drain (and hopefully not into the space below)

these only make sense if the most likely failure mode is motor failure, and even then you still have to isolate and drain in order to change motors because the shaft is usually part of the seal until you get large enough for a coupler.

these are not two pumps, they are one pump with two motors.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

kastein posted:

I agree, and I'm kind of surprised you didn't also post that in the HVAC thread that I'm now nearly 400 posts behind on. Or maybe you did and I haven't seen it yet. Who knows, not me.

I leave the hvac thread for goon help.

this thread seemed more appropriate for complaining about bad mechanical design, which i would say is a type of failure.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

What a moronic system. I would be jumping through mental gymnastics to make a case for that....like a very specific size envelope.

Grundfos all the way for heating pumps imho

the only answer I can think of is it saves you from making 8 more piping connections, thus is cheaper to install, while still being notionally "redundant"

the model I was working on also had ECM motors (or at least 3phase with built in VFDs, didn't really look at the electrical), so with a disconnect that's also less expensive, because those are also easier than mounting a drive + bypass on a wall somewhere.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I just saw a video where some aeronautics guy explains why new engines don't happen for GA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1TQGK3mZI

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Seems to me the priority is over-nighting* the customer the Correct breather, then pointing fingers later.

*so one week, these days.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Iirc that design choice was because it made production easier/faster?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Bits are disposable wear items, but yes probably material defect in casting.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

But the threaded spindle is still there...

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That is the Evaporator :eng101:

the Condenser is outside the box.

but yeah fin combs work on both.

also, probably want to look at the defrost coil or timer.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

No problems with stranded wire and lever wagos, I have used both brand and "lever wire connector" knockoffs. No issues assuming the insulation fits and the wire is the correct gauge.

the push ones are branded "wallnuts" or push in nuts. no stranded on those solid only.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My shitbox honda requires Aerospace Grade workmanship.

I follow NASA standard 8739.4 when I plug my ipod into the aux jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I am the two different sized lug nuts.