Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dor1 posted:

Not really sure on that one, often we define the minimum radius as "if you can bend it by hand, it's fine". But it also depends on how high it's rated, 400bar hoses will bend less than 250 bar ones.

I think they're talking about the part of the hose after the hardline....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

xzzy posted:

Maybe if the US had effective vehicle inspections we'd not only have some data on the subject, but get these jalopies off the road.

Too many people would bitch that "the gubmint wants to tell me to manetane muh kar".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That happened to me years ago. Worked at a GM dealer, lot jockey/detailer. God what a miserable loving job that was. Borrowed a red 1995 Grand Am from the used lot to go buy lunch. The poo poo flipped back and smashed the windshield, bent the hood to poo poo. Drove back in to the lot after, and everyone was breaking my balls saying that I ran someone down...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That turbo chunk would have gotten caught in the CAT (assuming that dope whip has one) or stuck in a bend in the exhaust, or the muffler if it wasn't a straight through type.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, the great thing about my Ryobi 18v NiCd is that it's not actually powerful enough to overtorque the lugs when I put them back on. It's still another 1/2 turn with the torque wrench after the driver maxes out.

Milwaukee 18 V here. Same poo poo. Good enough to get them nice and snug, but still needs a half turn or so to torque.
I just wish that bitch had enough reverse torque to take them off. But I've got a corded electric impact for that stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Here is a photo I took on the job yesterday. I would not expect everyone to get it, but what's wrong with this picture and why?

e: Also, WTF? Chris Cornell? Didn't see that coming. :(

Those augers ready for hard facing?

MrYenko posted:

Do you find yourself able to NOT making drilling jokes when you hit on girls?

Drillers go deep. Thats my motto.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrYenko posted:

While browsing related images on imgur:

Whats the big deal? Thats how you detach the piston from the connecting rod.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I remember seeing somewhere, maybe in the comment section of Jalopnik someone posted a link and pics to a bridge thats been smoked so many times, they actually put a steel I beam up for trucks to hit before the bridge itself.

Edit: Thats probably the 11-8 bridge....

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

This may be more of an engineering (surveying?) failure than a mechanical failure, but this seems like an appropriate place?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Peigneur#Drilling_disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ferremit posted:

Thats a horizontal boring rig thats gone REALLY badly.

Those things on their own are loving horrible things. No sand, No tape, no trench fill, No warning at ALL what the gently caress they have buried in there until you find it. Could be gas? Could be fibre optic thats going to net you a $1M fine for busting? Could be 66KV power! You wont know until you find it with your excavator!

At least they shut off the mud pump....

NoWake posted:

When the driver doesn't own his truck and has no control over the maintenance, the company who employs him and provides & maintains the truck should be the ones getting hosed. Sure, obvious defects such as tread depth, tire pressure, headlights, brake pressure, alignment, oil, fluids, belts, etc. and things easily noticed by the driver during their 5am pre-trip inspection in an outside lot without access to overhead lighting, tools or a lift should be on the driver. But how in the hell is a driver going to reasonably check the meat on the brake pads, when he's just been called to the yard, has never been in the truck before and has about 15 minutes before he needs to be on the road to hit his pickup time?
Flash lights. THings like brake pads/shoes, you can probably tell if they're horribly out of adjustment, then they might be worn to the point of needing replacement. For that matter, if they're horribly out of adjustment, then you need to get that poo poo adjusted before you drive anyway, and likely if they can't be adjusted, they're probably worn to poo poo.
Or my truck, which has hydraulic brakes, looking at the master cylinder reservoir.

Companies do get hosed as well as the driver. At least in Ontario. Ultimately its up to the driver to refuse to drive an unsafe vehicle.

The driver must have the balls to say "this truck is unsafe, sorry but I ain't driving that poo poo". I found a cracked leaf spring in mine. "Sorry boss, but the truck needs to go to the spring shop".

TrueChaos posted:

On the truck wheels falling off resulting in the driver going to jail - at least in Ontario, drivers are responsible for the condition of their vehicles, and failures like that kill people. One of the guys I worked with was killed driving to work when a trailer wheel came off a transport, crossed the median, and bounced into the windshield of his car going the other way. This was a few years ago, but the driver was found, charged, and did jail time.

Back in the mid 90s in Ontario, that happened a lot. I think thats when they changed the scale houses to inspection stations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

gently caress thats a lot of washers on those u bolts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That sums up my day pretty well.

Also am I doing this right?

e: damnit we both tried to ninja in multiple edits. yeah it's been a real loving long day.
e2: someone needs to mate that video up with Yakety Sax

Did you say Yakety sax?

http://bennyhillthis.com/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Meh......

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SquirrelGrip posted:

how do i tell my friend he cannot do an alignment on a car by eye when he has adjustable loving everything

currently "its setup right" means "my 9" wide wheels are not touching the spring when its sitting still"

Get him drunk?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

um excuse me posted:

Not to downplay the seriousness off throwing a tire off a vehicle, but lug centric wheels make huge loving racket when the lugs loosen up. Bearings make noticeable amounts of noise when they start to go, not as much as lugs, but noticeable. But these are the ones on the vehicle you drive. I imagine you could miss quite a bit on a trailer before being loud enough to hear.

I was headed north several years back, had just changed from snow tires to summers. Thought I heard something funny, it got louder, to the point where there was a helicopter hovering over my car. Stopped, and checked wheel lugs. They were quite loose. Tightened them up, continued on my way. Helicopter also left.

Lesson I learned: retorque wheels. I actually keep a torque wrench on my car at all times now. Comes in quite handy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The helicopter was my loose wheel.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The teal you can get on the boxster/cayman (maybe others?) is pretty rad. Second only to the bright orange.

Jesus, I thought teal went out at the end of the 90s.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

We build hydraulic hoses and systems in my shop and the "fixes" we see people doing to their hoses can be outright horrifying. Like gear clamps (the kind of thing you'd see on your heater hose on your car) on high pressure hoses, or splicing in poo poo with barbs is just :psyduck:

That looks like just a 1 or 2 wire spaghetti hose. It's probably off shore and had a very, very hard life. Sadly that stuff is becoming a commodity now and people or OEMs don't see the benefit to spending $.50 per ft for a high end 1/4" hose when they can spend .25 for the same thing :haw:

Whats your opinion on reusable fittings?

My local parker store charges 10 bucks a foot for the hose we use. I forget the size, but its not huge.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Just looked at my standard g2 gates approximate sell price for industrial people.

.250" about $3.70
.375 $4.00
.500 $4.50
1" $9.00 per foot.

That's not giving it away and :canada:. Of course, higher, lower pressures $$ vary.

So thats the price you sell it to retail at? That kinda makes sense then. Ours is (I think) half inch or maybe 5/8" ID, three(?) wire.
If you sell it to retailers for 4.50 a foot, then my price sounds right with mark up. Also :canada:

Oh yeah, them fittings. They're a real pain in the rear end. But when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere.....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was a kid, my friend and I used to use his family's quad to tow his little brother behind it on a toboggan on the highway.

I'm not sure what I learned since there were no negative consequences.

We did that with various parents cars. On the road, with GT snow racers. We were teenagers, drinking, and having fun. Speeds were in excess of the speed limit, in snow storms......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

yeah everyone knows it's spelled "viola"

I've seen fuckers spell it "wolla".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

No pictures of this one because it wasn't that interesting to look at, but earlier today one of our students destroyed the chuck on one of our drill presses by trying to drill a hole through a piece of wood without installing a drill bit.

Yes, that's what I said.

He tightened the chuck down all the way with no bit installed, so that the jaws came out and closed up into that blunt cone that they do, spun up the drill press, and then rammed the jaws into the surface of a 2" thick glued-up plywood block. Now the chuck no longer opens.

36 inch pipe wrenches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My highschool had some decent shop classes.
2 Auto shops, wood shop, Electrical shop, Machine, Electronics, Refrigeration.
Wish I'd taken wood shop at least once.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yep, that's what happened to two 3800 II engined cars I've had (1997 Malibu and

The 97 Malibu had a 3.8? My dad had a 98 and it only came with a 3.1.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

There are some water-free "permanent" coolants out there, that are essentially pure glycol (ethylene or propylene) with stuff other than water added to improve its properties. Jay Leno is always promoting some on his videos.

I have no idea how its performance compares with traditional water/glycol coolants, but it apparently works well enough (at least in places where it doesn't get too hot or too cold).

I've heard of that poo poo. You don't need a rad cap, because the boiling point is high enough you don't need pressure or some poo poo. And I think the water pump had to be changed?

I remember seeing it on Shade Tree Mechanic like (almost) 20 years ago. Back when Spike TV was still TNN.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't buy into Evans coolant - if it was as awesome as they claim, why hasn't an OEM licensed it for the first sealed-for-life cooling system?

Big Distilled and Reverse Osmosis teamed up to try and keep it off the market.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

:siren: WARNING WARNING anecdotal evidence here :siren:

I've changed the coolant on some machines at work. Small, 3 and 4 cylinder diesel engines, likely iron locks and heads FWIW. Always used hose water+ coolant for then. No problems. Nearly 4500 hours and ~6 ish years on the one engine, no problems with rust, sludge etc...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its lunch break, sitting in my office.
I wasn't going to log in to facebook but did, now I have something to contribute!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > Horrible Mechanical Failures: Don't eat at Denny's

I used to work at a Denny's. It wasn't that bad. Mostly. Every 4-6 months we'd have some guy from corporate come inspect us, in addition to the regular health department random checks. The Corporate guy was quite thorough TBH, things like crumbs in the folds of the weather stripping around the fridge, prepped foods that were more than X hours/days old and whatnot, steam table and cold table temperatures etc.

gently caress do I have some stories about that place though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I started a thread in (I think) A/T several years ago, different account obv. I got called an rear end in a top hat, it got poo poo on and gassed within a few days.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

gently caress it, man. Throw some stories in the chat thread.

AI chat thread? Is that allowed since the poo poo ain't car related? (I've never set foot in there)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How the gently caress are they supposed to get in to the trunk?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fuckin Mondays.

Turn those augers when you're pulling them out of the ground....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

chrisgt posted:

Only if you let off the gas... Wide open there's force on the gears and it's not gonna go into neutral.

I find in my work truck, its the opposite. Especially going downhill. I have to goose it just a bit to pop it out of gear without the clutch. Mind you thats when I'm coasting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Something failed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Me and another guy I worked with spent a while with a little honda powered centrifugal pump trying to get it to start. Dumping fuel in to the carb (it hadn't even been looked at let alone run for over a year), and loving with everything we could think of. I tossed it in the back of a truck to bring it to a small engine shop, and noticed that it had an on/off switch.

The switch was in the off position..

Bring on your stupid automotive/mechanical confessions up ITT. We won't judge you publicly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Godholio posted:

Yep, did that. Had a friend forget to put the cap back on the oil filler hole. Drove to my house and had lost almost all of it in the roughly 2 minutes the engine was running.

Edit: Same friend somehow hosed up installing wiper blades on that car, too. They do fly off like in the movies!

Well at least it wasn't part of the floor pan...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I changed the springs, struts and associated bits on my Corolla back in September.

It took me about 8-9 hours, starting at 7 pm in the shop at work, after everyone had gone home. I had been up for most of the day already, and was pretty much finished, both the job and from being tired as gently caress. I was disassembling the old strut/spring combos to toss in the scrap metal bin and had my impact on a strut nut loosening it off........... Then I looked over on the work bench and saw my spring compressors sitting there.... :downsgun:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BloodBag posted:

The best part about disassembling struts is aiming the strut body at a box across the garage, putting your foot on the spring, and rattling the nut off the end. Those fuckers go flying*.

*Of course you're never supposed to do this :getin:

That would have been interesting, but the strut was pointed at my car.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

xzzy posted:

Runaway ski lift failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPTcQpkso4

No gore or death, but there were some "serious" broken bones from people getting ragdolled.

My knowledge of the function of chair lifts is basically zero but I would have thought if there was a drive failure it'd completely seize up instead of freewheeling.

Why the poo poo is it going backwards?