Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Root Bear posted:

My first year working at my old job, a customer brought in his beater Oldsmobile Calais in for us to put his rear drum brakes back together with the new parts he bought, openly admitting he took them apart and had no idea how to put any of it back together. There was a small dirty box on the passenger seat full of both the old and new hardware and shoe sets, and upon getting it up in the air and pulling the wheels, I discovered that the only reason the leaking wheel cylinders didn't blow apart while he drove it was that they were secured with radiator hose clamps. :psyduck:

That shop saw an average of at least one job per week that would come in with dumb poo poo like: both primary shoes on one side and both secondary shoes on the other side, seized star-wheel adjusters installed backwards and nowhere near the bent actuator levers, backwards return springs, bent/compromised anchor pins, and so on. :negative:

I don't miss any of that poo poo either.

I've only done a full rebuild of drums once but it was on a 70's Plymouth that hadn't been serviced in over 20 years and had been sitting in the woods for just as long. it took me about 4 days to do just the fronts and i said gently caress it on the rears for the time being since they weren't leaking or seized, just not working. i ended it up selling it not long after so hope that dude had fun

the only time i've ever had an issue on discs was with my 84 300zx. you had to twist the piston while pushing it in to get it to compress and i spent about an hour cranking the poo poo out of some c clamps before i went to the parts store and bought the Haynes and the specialty tool for it (that you don't need but i tried the needle nose trick first and that was a pain in the rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

The last time I tried using one of those brake tools, it was like it was made of pewter and bent then ate poo poo hard when I tried pulling a spring

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Goober Peas posted:

You haven't lived until you've had to change a flat on an isolated country road at night on an Audi with one of these. I personally invented new 4 letter words in this pursuit.

0/5 would not recommend.

audi's have shank lugs too dont they?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

No they have bolt style.

there was a manufacturer for a while using them stock tho right?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

yeah i'd guess the used market for H2's died up before they even stopped building new ones. they were basically mercedes with how often they needed maintenance due to the weight of the fucker without any of the prestige. they also weren't actually good at offroading so they didn't get turned into crawlers or anything once no one cared about them

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't the brakes on most (all?) airliners multi-disc affairs, like super-sized versions of automatic transmission clutch packs?

The downside of multi-disc braking on a roadgoing vehicle is you'd be doubling the rotating and unsprung mass of your brakes, and I don't even know how you'd package a brake system that wide unless you did something nuts on a four/front-wheel driven vehicle where you have one rotor/caliper mounted inboard at the gearbox, and one rotor/caliper mounted outboard in the conventional location.

you could do it on RWDs fairly easily if they're IRS and you could do it with solid axles but you'd have to basically make them from scratch. i'm pretty sure i've seen either race vehicles or prototype style things with multi disc setups in the rear before

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Saukkis posted:

No point doing that, normal braking systems have been able to lock the wheels since forever.

it would actually help prevent the wheels from locking while being able to slow faster, hence airliners doing it like IOC pointed out

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Wraps back around to good.

No, no it does not.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Come on! It's like the barbie dream jeep in a universe where there was no such thing as a jeep!

Someone send this to Nissan, we might have just found someone willing to buy the 5th one.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I bought that Harbor Freight one he tested and calls decent a couple years ago after using a 40 year old Craftsman that finally ate poo poo and it was a total game changer. Going from 50 pumps to under 10 for full height was like one of those infomercials where it's like "I've been doing it wrong for this long?!?!"

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

if that's used to move the boat around from like dock to dock, sure. anything above 5mph or so? no loving way

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Elviscat posted:

Is this timing chain supposed to.look like this?

it's obviously supposed to have big fat cams on there, you've done it wrong

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

goddamn those are some flogged mounts

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

back in high school, i think it was the last day of the year, all the cars leaving the parking lot started getting into a horn medley and mine got stuck on for like 10 minutes until it fried itself and never worked again

sharkytm posted:

I wired the horn to the turn signal circuit on an old frenemy's car.

please tell me you had it hooked up to the relay so it honked every time the light blinked

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Horrible mechanical failure caused by horrible mechanic.
https://i.imgur.com/DMKK56B.mp4

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

chrisgt posted:

Last time I did this was a maserati wheel, and i didn't blow myself up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKyNevGWprI

the only time i've ever done that was beading 44s for my friend's mud truck because even the bazooka air tanks weren't enough.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Ruflux posted:

My mom's car had a flat tire and because she lives in the middle of nowhere, it took weeks to get a replacement shipped (apparently the local auto shop guy complained the tire was too soft so he couldn't really get it repaired and it kept leaking) and meanwhile all she had was a miserably tiny temporary use only spare which needed to be inflated to some obscene amounts of pressure, which made stability control want to brake that wheel all the time. A fun experience for sure, as soon as you let go of the accelerator the car suddenly tries to heavily veer off towards the left. I have no idea how the gently caress that spare tire qualifies as anything but a bad joke.

I have a '17 Focus and I had to have the spare on for a couple days not too long ago waiting for a replacement and it was a loving huge pain in the rear end to drive with it on. Major torque steer while accelerating and lots of brake steering too. I think this is the first time I've ever driven a FWD car with a spare on the front, IDK if you're even supposed to do that but it's how the shop gave it to me so I rolled with it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

I always put the donut on the rear and move a rear to the front when I get a front flat in a FWD.

If i ever get a flat in the front again, this is what I'm going to do cause it was damned near undriveable with it how they gave it to me.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Darchangel posted:

Can't drive your house around to show off how manly you are.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Arrath posted:

I was too busy paying attention to him pulling chunks out that every time he pulled a piece out of a new hole it was a :stare: from me.

The data logger he went through showed two drops in oil pressure, the first one somewhat smaller and the second precipitous. First rod went, blew a hole out, oil pressure dropped, and the engine rapidly oil starved and beat itself up at 8k rpm, then blew several more holes as each rod went in succession? Maybe hand-in-hand with suspect metallurgy in that batch of con rods?

i'm pretty sure he talks in later videos, where he actually repairs that block, that this is the first time he's used those con rods and he put them in his own engine specifically to test them. they obviously weren't up to snuff and he's been talking to the manufacturer about what went wrong

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 22, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

kastein posted:

With how many of them failed (all 8) there's a very strong case to be made that the material batch was bad and this is on the material supplier not the rod manufacturer or Steve.

i agree with you but at the same time, it failed near the end of the run when he had like 55lbs of boost and the motor is turning over 7k. even good rods are likely to eat poo poo if the balance gets completely out of whack from other rods breaking at that point so they won't know until they do the material testing

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

at least if the ball part starts trying to sag, it'll tighten one side of the hitch

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

on the same topic, another horrible human mechanical failure, i was pushing down garbage in the can once a few years ago and my thumb popped out and was perpendicular backwards to my palm. i was in shock so i grabbed it and wrenched it back into place. the only issue i have now is that my thumb goes numb randomly while gripping poo poo like a steering wheel

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

i was an old man before I even turned 18. i had knee surgery the day after I got my drivers license at 17, back surgery for 2 blown out discs at 24 and cataract surgery on both eyes at 28. i turn 40 in just under a month and my knee is actually good still. my back is meh and I can't run but I haven't thrown it out since I had the surgery

e; jfc thats what i get for not refreshing the page from last night, that's insane

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So this thread took a bit of a turn towards the :kstare:

Worst I've done is probably dropping a ratchet on my face and giving myself a fat lip.

i dropped a starter off a lifted truck directly onto my face. i thought there was one bolt still left and just let go, POW right in the schnozz. Only the 5th time i've broken it

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Raluek posted:

whomst amongst us hasnt done something like that? lol

well, for me it was in a cul de sac behind my aunt and uncle's house, but it was still done in the street so imo it counts

i haven't done a full blown engine swap on the side of the road, but i have replaced a trans, driveshaft and rear axle (all at the same time) on the interstate in Florida about 20 years ago

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Darchangel posted:

Red, if you're not a wuss.

Just don't try to weld your rear end shut afterwards

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in school i was working with the lathe and managed to slice my hand open on some razor sharp swarf. it was such a clean cut that i didn't even feel it happen, and only noticed when the handwheel felt sticky and i looked down to see the blood.

i found the old shop manager to ask for the first aid kit. i commented that i hadn't even felt the cut when it happened. he said "that's how you know you're running it right"

good dude

when i was learning welding, i had quit smoking weed like 3 months prior. i told my teacher this and he told me to "start smoking weed again because your welds look like they were done by a meth head who just got off it."

i'm still not sure how i should have taken that but I am a much better welder when i'm stoned, my hands are nice and smooth like silk

e; before anyone chimes in about how you shouldn't be using a welder while high, eat my rear end. welding is more of an art than anything and as we all know, art is better when your inebriated

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

how... why... but...

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

looks like my dog when she needs to poo poo

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

slidebite posted:

That truck driver is hosed

Yeah one of the few things we got hammered to us when I was getting my license is you’re not supposed to shift or even touch your brakes while crossing tracks and if you stop on the tracks, you are turbofucked and not only are we gonna fire you, we’re gonna sue you if there’s an accident and you’ll never work as a truck driver again.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Teslas aren't like the worst vehicle ever made, although they're close, so combined with the type of idiot who would by one based solely on riding Elon's dick, what do you truly expect?

Henry Ford and Elon really trying hard for biggest piece of poo poo car manufacturer owner ever with Henry probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 23, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Computer viking posted:

IIRC Tesla has mostly stuck to bothering their employees, customers, and regulators, which shows a narrowness of vision. Ford really pushed the limits of who a car company can trouble - like that time when he tried to build an ideal US town in whatever South American country produced their rubber. (The enforced Good Christian Values are sort of implied).

Of course this may just be because Ford dedicated himself to the company, while Musk is easily distracted.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

As I said elsewhere: I really wanna see what the valves and pistons look like.

Imagine that sounded like someone shaking a bag of loose change for a brief moment

back when i was working at a benz/chrysler dealership in like '06 we had a mercedes diesel eat poo poo so bad it snapped the cams in like 30 different pieces and the entire valve train was basically shattered. i had a picture on my potato phone but it's long since gone.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Groda posted:

Is it the oil supply that's the limiting factor here?

yeah without it combusting or having valves there for a speedy piston to smack, that engine would (probably) have no problem free spinning to like 15k except the entire oiling system is reliant on the head being there too

e: not having a cooling system isn't helping things either

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 27, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

cursedshitbox posted:

I pulled the clutch on the F350. It drove to where the clutch was pulled.

https://imgur.com/a/EdkByLG

How?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I don't believe in higher powers but seeing pictures of that clutch that was supposedly still working has slightly changed my mind.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

This is part mechanical failure and part electronic failure but I have a ‘17 Focus and I’m getting ready to leave on a road trip in the morning to I threw my GoPro in my car and went to get gas station to fill up. Well on my way there the power steering shits itself so I pull into an autozone and pop the hood. I can’t find the power steering reservoir anywhere but I notice the brake fluid reservoir is low so I buy some fluid and top it up then start googling wtf is going on. Turns out I have an electric power steering rack and the GoPro I have plugged into my car’s usb port to charge it is communicating to my car and erroring out the power steering. It’s 100% repeatable too, plug it in and 2 minutes later I lose all power steering.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

My only thought is that I'm pretty sure that port I plugged the gopro into also how you hook up to the CANBUS via computer/USB stick for updates and so the gopro thought it was talking to a PC and wigged the ECU the gently caress out.

tater_salad posted:

My focus was my first and last Ford product

I've had it for 2 years now and have put 40k on it. i've had the entire long block swapped out for burning a quart of oil every 200 miles and the transmission swapped out because it would buck like a motherfucker on the 1-2 shift, both under warranty thank god

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

weg posted:

I drive a Transit for work and plug a GoPro in to charge all the time. It's never caused the power steering to fail.

It failed all on it's own lol.

If it wasn't totally repeatable I wouldn't have loving believed it either.