Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

wolrah posted:

Not yet a complete mechanical failure, but getting there. Sorry for the blur, I was driving so I didn't really spend time looking at the screen.

Click for big, the shrunken version really hides the extent of the problem.

This truck was not changing lanes in these pictures, it was driving straight down the middle. The rear wheel on my side was nowhere near the center of the opening, I wish I had seen the other side because it looks like it would have been worse.

Even with your description I have no idea what's going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bugdrvr posted:

Not sure about other brands but Porsche puts their cars into "transport mode" while they are being, um, transported that kills a bunch of the accessories and limits speed to 30km/h.
You would definitely not want to take delivery of your new car in that condition and without the scan tool there isn't poo poo you're doing about it.
We also go over the entire car with a fine toothed comb, torque the wheels and suspension bolts, scan and clear any faults that may have occurred since going on the boat as well as a bunch of other crap.

Or plug in a VAGcom tool with an android device and start rocking.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Motronic posted:

VAGCOM doesn't work on Porsches. The dealers usually have a PIWIS and us pleebs settle for Durametric.

Potato, potahtow, there isn't any magic dealer box that consumers are incapable of getting access to.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I bet this car went sideways into a curb, the ball-joint failed and the control arm smashed into the rotor killing both in one blow.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I knew a guy who had the same thing happen on the same type of truck. He was running it lowered though and the shaft kept rubbing on something underneath until it gave.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

Doesn't hurt that A8s are all-aluminium. I'm curious how much more expensive to insure that makes them, seeing as how it's so much harder to fix properly.

I just bought a 2006 A8L (D3) and I'm paying about $100 a month full coverage. Not too bad considering. I'm also over 30 and married so YMMV.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

bolind posted:

Please post pictures of that?

Here you go. These were all quickies at the dealer that I used for getting the wife's OK.

$15,702 out the door from a local dealer (TTL included) with a fresh battery and key.

Sorry, no failures here. Doing the timing belt this next week in hopes of keeping it that way.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The D2 is solid so long as you do the timing belt and keep an extra $3500 around for when the 5 speed ZF trans finally fails.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Those are really handsome cars. It looks so comfortable too. Weren't those things pushing $100k? Its incredible how fast some cars depreciate.

I have the window sticker. $82,535 in 2005 with my options.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

I wonder what that might have sounded like had the motor been cranked.

Hell, I wonder what it might have snelled like.

I doubt the car would be very snel at all.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wouldn't that be a potential sparky flame boom?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

15 minutes can save you 15% on your car insurance. Mechanical Failures

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

xzzy posted:

Bridge is going to have to go through a full inspection, right? You can't just rip away chunks of the structure without increasing load somewhere else, and maybe the stress will cause something to fracture.

Bridge was in Canada, not the United States of Libertopia.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Remember to position your loads directly over your axles boys.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Yes.

Chevy is particularly poor about their wheel fitment (those square wheel wells look like dogshit), but suspension travel is a thing they have to accommodate on heavy duty pickups. Even more so when they're potentially carrying 3,000 lbs of payload in the bed (or 6,000 because gently caress them "engineers", I got a schedule to keep) and the springs have to be selected for that load and ride height, not empty.

And people will buy these only drive them around like a Prius.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Hilux is NOT a small truck. It's basically a Tacoma.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

nmfree posted:

re: dogchat

Want this to use with of those child harnesses.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, it will be dead soon.

then you can open up the speedometer so the bug can fly away.

This is why I love AI

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How expensive is a CNC bit/blade/spinny thingy?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

quote:

Bonus pic, ironically taken at a Toyota dealership.

Fewer than 5.3 seconds.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

More of a WTF failure than horrible, but why the gently caress does a seemingly undamaged PCV valve sound like a flock of turkeys being raped?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkG5NW4YJWw

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Because VAG are pathologically incapable of making anything plastic last longer than a year.

A bit of an exaggeration but not too far off. The worst I've had so far is a $10 connector pipe that brings coolant from the block past the oil-cooler. It got old and cracked and started leaking fluid. $10 part, $1300 labor. That was the cheap way out. Dealer wanted to pull the engine with over $2k labor.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My next car is gonna be a loving Honda.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

echomadman posted:

Saw this today when i was in getting tyres for my car
Wheel came off coming around the corner, the scrape in the road goes all the way down to the junction.

http://imgur.com/gallery/acDIu

I'll never get service from Victory Tyres & Batteries.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

forums.somethingawful.com/r/redditlinks

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

DocCynical posted:

I've seen the chocolate milk from engines, anyone ever seen Jell-oŽ?
http://gfycat.com/ImpishFarEyas
Came from the engine in a WhisperWatt diesel generator. The mechanics on site have never seen anything like it.

Came from where in the engine, oil pan?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Tell me it was brought in this way, not that it happened while working on a running motor.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

DefaultPeanut posted:

Finny a munched cam story comes up; we just had two Honda TRX680 engined machines, one quad and one side by side, come in with poor running off idle and lack of power, with louder than normal induction noise from the air box. Cue ~2.5 hrs of diag per machine from two different techs. Compression test and leak down show fairly normal results for the mileage. Normal results for fuel pressure, and other fuel / ignition related problems. Checking the valve clearances showed 5 times the allowable for the exhaust on both machines. The cam on these machines mounts on top the the cylinder, below the cylinder head. You can only inspect it by removing the rocker cover, pulling the push rods and buckets and looking at the lobes. The exhaust bucket on both were almost worn through and the lobe was almost worn down to the base circle. I'm not even sure how they ran. Now replacing a camshaft turns into rebuilding the entire top end, as there are a bunch of 'while you are in there' things.

I'd be quite concerned about what led to that state. Cams aren't supposed to be wear and tear replacement items.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Platystemon posted:

How is the Lamborghini not dead as of the end of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWedR5R3OW8

Air intake is in the rear, the water wave is in the front. The actual water line never reached the intake.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You'd have better luck sitting down and inserting the bolt in your anus, and then spinning in place.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Isn't it wonderful when people spout a bunch of bullshit they made up in their heads as fact?

Wait, it's not.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My neighbour owns what I assume is some kind of small contracting firm and he told me the other day (after seeing me rattle gunning some struts on my driveway) that he got rid of his S-class because a set of shocks cost $4400 before labour.

Dunno if they were fancy air shocks but I assume so at that rate.

Probably air or magnetic or whatnot. My A8 had air struts and Audi wanted $3,600 to replace the front in just parts. Of course there are third party rebuilds available which cost well below half of that.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cartoon posted:

You know those videos are shown based on your (The viewer's) viewing habits?

I think we just found out more about you than we had reasonably expected to. A horrible personal data security failure.

This is true. Mine were mostly motorcycle vids or Tim and Eric clips.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yes, Jesus or an angel obviously saved you buddy. :allears:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Lots of milk talk for a mechanical failure thread.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Now we're talking malking.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The only tool here

Is the designer :grin:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

BobHoward posted:

I hope everyone notices that the driver of the truck in the left lane in that video manages to drift too close to the center divider and scrapes a wheel (the spare?) off the trailer he's towing.

Totally missed that the first time.

It's the gif(t) that keeps on giving.